Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Science Chat Reply with quote

A home for videos and articles that made you go "aha!"

"There's no such thing as gravity!"

https://youtu.be/F5PfjsPdBzg

This makes a lot more sense to be. Often touted is the equivalency principle: if you accelerate at 1G in space you'll feel the same as if you were standing on Earth. You'd think the former example "isn't real gravity, only simulated" same as those sci-fi space stations with the big spinning wheels (thanks, Arthur C. Clarke!)

But gravity isn't a "thing" only a label given to the acceleration we feel exerted on us by large bodies of mass. And that acceleration is down to the time variance between our feet and our heads (or the nominal top & bottom of any body.)

Now a more fun thought: there's always the sci-fi concept of artificial gravity but really what's happening is artificial time dilation. So the question is: "can you slow down time?" not "can you create gravity?"

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:07 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer more down to earth physical science. Cody's lab is always good for a good old fashioned homemade bucket chemistry fix.

You should see the one where he refined about 2lb of caesium metal from it's salts to cast into a gold youtube arrow, then threw it in the quarry. Also reclaiming platinum from motorway dust sweepings. And for some reason, he has gallons of mercury to play with, enough to flush a toilet with.

It does get quite high-tech too, he had a solid floating on a gas in one of his experiments and also managed to force CO2 to form a liquid.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know a geometric progression, i.e. it has a common ratio.
For example 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...

The common ratio is 1/2.

If the common ratio is less than one it has a finite sum to infinity, of a/1-r, which is 2 in the above case.

Does e have a similar sum to infinity?

As a series e = 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + ....

The thing is I don't believe it is an infinite series, but it has a finite (although irrational) value of 2.71...

Sorry it was just one of those 3am thoughts earlier Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Re: Science Chat Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A home for videos and articles that made you go "aha!"

"There's no such thing as gravity!"

https://youtu.be/F5PfjsPdBzg

This makes a lot more sense to be. Often touted is the equivalency principle: if you accelerate at 1G in space you'll feel the same as if you were standing on Earth. You'd think the former example "isn't real gravity, only simulated" same as those sci-fi space stations with the big spinning wheels (thanks, Arthur C. Clarke!)

But gravity isn't a "thing" only a label given to the acceleration we feel exerted on us by large bodies of mass. And that acceleration is down to the time variance between our feet and our heads (or the nominal top & bottom of any body.)

Now a more fun thought: there's always the sci-fi concept of artificial gravity but really what's happening is artificial time dilation. So the question is: "can you slow down time?" not "can you create gravity?"

Squirry the squirrel on a geodesic Thumbs Up

It's an interesting inference derived from special relativity. We treat gravity as a force because of its apparent influence in the physical world but it may not actually be a force. Unless of course, the quantum loop gravity theorists win out and we eventually discover its gauge boson (the graviton) then the whole thing is nicely up in the air again. Laughing

Mass can be increased by velocity increase towards a significant fraction of the speed of light. The interesting thing here is that at relativistic velocities time dilation occurs (hence time itself is not a constant) and physical distance decreases within the frame of reference of the travelling object whereas the universal constant c remains a constant for all frames of reference.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
You know a geometric progression, i.e. it has a common ratio.
For example 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ...

The common ratio is 1/2.

If the common ratio is less than one it has a finite sum to infinity, of a/1-r, which is 2 in the above case.

Does e have a similar sum to infinity?

As a series e = 1 + 1/2! + 1/3! + 1/4! + ....

The thing is I don't believe it is an infinite series, but it has a finite (although irrational) value of 2.71...

Sorry it was just one of those 3am thoughts earlier Sad

Why would an irrational number behave differently in a progression to an integer? There's probably a proof out there somewhere...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 29 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I prefer more down to earth physical science. Cody's lab is always good for a good old fashioned homemade bucket chemistry fix.

You should see the one where he refined about 2lb of caesium metal from it's salts to cast into a gold youtube arrow, then threw it in the quarry. Also reclaiming platinum from motorway dust sweepings. And for some reason, he has gallons of mercury to play with, enough to flush a toilet with.

It does get quite high-tech too, he had a solid floating on a gas in one of his experiments and also managed to force CO2 to form a liquid.

He makes interesting videos - I was watching him experiment with copper amalgam and its potential uses earlier Very Happy

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 31 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you mention Special Relativity, I'm just embarking on this particular rabbit hole. Here's the latest edition of My Lecturer is a Cycle Path:

https://youtu.be/CKJuC5CUMgU

"But he's just a little bit too animated!" Wait till he gets to the hand grenades Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1