Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Exceptionally hot' 2020 concludes warmest decade.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: 'Exceptionally hot' 2020 concludes warmest decade. Reply with quote

Posting mainly because this made me laugh.

Quote:
Another factor that helped drive up temperatures in 2020 was air pollution, or the lack of it.
Global lockdowns meant fewer cars on the roads and airplanes in the sky.
As the dirty air disappeared this allowed more sunlight to hit the Earth's surface, boosting temperatures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55663544
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human population of Earth ~1 billion in early 1800s

Human population of Earth >7 billion now

A promise of keeping global temperatures down (as per Paris Agreement) either implies culling the majority of the population or terraforming. Not that I want to be alarmist or nuffink.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

A promise of keeping global temperatures down (as per Paris Agreement) either implies culling the majority of the population or terraforming. Not that I want to be alarmist or nuffink.

I think WEF have a plan about this and it's going quite well. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:25 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you posted the link - I'm assuming climate change catastrophe is implied in the article - I've been thinking "Green Grifting."

At the moment I'm following Samcrac trying to fix a BMW i8 hybrid car with an overheating issue and at the other end of the spectrum The Skid Factory resurrecting an old Cummings diesel engine: 6 cylinder, 24 valve, mechanical fuel injection... something you'd imagine Noah using to power his boat! The complexity of the BMW vs the simplicity of the Cummings gave me pause to consider: what is the environmental impact of making a car versus driving a car?

Turns out unless you rinse it for 200,000 miles or more you're probably hurting the environment rather than helping:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car

Here's something I didn't know, what happens to cars that enter government sponsored scrappage schemes? Mostly crushed instead of stripped for parts:

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/something-old-something-new-how-scrappage-harmed-the-classic-car-community/

What a waste! But of course it's all about the money, in this case propping up the automotive industry. Be responsible! Save the planet! Buy a new car! All the while helping to hasten the end and paying for the privilege Evil or Very Mad

to v or not to v
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:07 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant say i found last year to be particularly hot.
some nice blue skies in the spring without all the usual aircraft pollution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I think WEF have a plan about this and it's going quite well. Thumbs Up

They can plan and conjecture all they want but 7 billion humans is way too much, especially as they all start to want smartphones and electricity.

The saying 'Breed like rabbits' is an insult to rabbits. It should be changed to breed like homo sapiens.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Turns out unless you rinse it for 200,000 miles or more you're probably hurting the environment rather than helping

What is "hurting the environment"?
Are we supposed to sit in mud huts and never move?
Perspective required.
Let it go, I say. Polarbear is right, it's a simple question of unchecked population growth overwhelming resources. Sooner or later, this planet faces catastrophe. It is unavoidable, and humans will have little to do with it.
Meanwhile, we should accept wars, famines and everything else as part of the human condition. We ARE all going to die, which in my mind is every reason to LIVE first. There's only so much we can do to alleviate the suffering of others anyway. That's not to say we shouldn't do reasonable things to do so, but again, perspective required.

Anyway, Elon Musk's got this Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1