BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Remembrance Sunday.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:25 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't wear a poppy, it's been hijacked by charities and virtue signallers. The most self-riteous about them are generally the least genuine.

I do a minutes silence. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, not on the nearest Sunday because it's not a religious act either.

Not content with car bumpers, I've started seeing poppies on dogs collars ffs.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought a pin badge the last few years and being a total hoarder, I've found one and put it on.

I've given online, so I feel ok.

Just 2 years back I was in Ypres on the 11th.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:41 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

My T shirt said 'the only good nazi......'

You're doing more virtue signalling here than all the poppy wearers on the planet Laughing

There was no such thing as virtue signalling in the late 80s

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do I buy a poppy or not? If I do, I am either virtue-signalling or glorifying the Empire, and if I do not I am anti-British and a bastard.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
So, do I buy a poppy or not? If I do, I am either virtue-signalling or glorifying the Empire, and if I do not I am anti-British and a bastard.

Just to add another element to your quandary, the stems are made of plastic...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Just to add another element to your quandary, the stems are made of plastic...

Buy a pin badge then. They look smarter anyway.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No socially distanced service in Tidworth this year. Town council has just announced a bugler and 2 local politicians will attend at 1100 (and I bet someone with a camera for the photo op). Asked for everyone else to stay away until after 1200.

Extremely crass diktat I think in a garrison town with a massive veteran population. It's not even like they couldn't do it distanced. The memorial is in a large field.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Buy a pin badge then. They look smarter anyway.

My "plastic" quip was just that, not a reason not to buy one, although it would make sense if they were fully biodegradable.

An eternal metal poppy signifies that you're remembering the fallen but it doesn't say you've contributed to the Poppy Appeal this year.

For me Remembrance is only about WW1 and WW2. Worthy of national Remembrance long after they've all departed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You're doing more virtue signalling here than all the poppy wearers on the planet Laughing

There was no such thing as virtue signalling in the late 80s

Making up for lost time? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

For me Remembrance is only about WW1 and WW2. Worthy of national Remembrance long after they've all departed.

That statement shits on alot of people's memories.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it matter what war someone chooses to remember when they wear a poppy or attend a remembrance parade? That's up to them. Sure, it was originally about those who fell in WW1, but if people want to extend that to more recent times, I have no problem with that. The sentiment is the same.

People gave their lives in the service of their country. Most people today can't understand that because they don't believe in country. But a lot of military personnel gave their lives for their mates who served beside them. That's a noble sacrifice too, also something many today can't understand as today's world is all about "me, me, me!" And that seems to be whatever side of the political divide you are on. I hope that as we progress as a newly independent nation, people will begin to understand that again in this country.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Femi the racebaiting fuckpig throwing his oar in on poppy wearing - this one could have gone anywhere really - BBC thread, BLM thread, SJW thread, but given it's a dig at poppies I'll drop it here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8913383/Inclusivity-campaigner-Femi-Oluwole-sparks-huge-row-BBC-presenters-wearing-poppies.html

The kid is an utter, utter bellend.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Femi the racebaiting fuckpig throwing his oar in on poppy wearing - this one could have gone anywhere really - BBC thread, BLM thread, SJW thread, but given it's a dig at poppies I'll drop it here:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8913383/Inclusivity-campaigner-Femi-Oluwole-sparks-huge-row-BBC-presenters-wearing-poppies.html

The kid is an utter, utter bellend.

I see it as a dig at the BBC, not at poppies...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

I see it as a dig at both. Mainly because he's misrepresenting (probably deliberately) what the poppy is about.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:55 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Diggs wrote:

I see it as a dig at both. Mainly because he's misrepresenting (probably deliberately) what the poppy is about.

I see it that he doesn't actually care what a poppy stands for, he's just using it as a vehicle to keep him and his cause in the limelight.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Femi

Who?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
arry wrote:
Femi

Who?

Prepare to want to stab yourself in the ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVWkPHKEd8

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Prepare to want to stab yourself in the ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFVWkPHKEd8

Oh, another activist. I thought maybe it was someone important.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I'm going to get arrested for this but fuck it Laughing

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.......
JackButler This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Davidson the comedian did an interesting bit on not wearing a poppy recently.
basically saying how the sally army hoards their millions rather than actually helping vets.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
Jim Davidson the comedian did an interesting bit on not wearing a poppy recently.
basically saying how the sally army hoards their millions rather than actually helping vets.

Sally Army has fuck all to do with Poppies.

However when freezing my bollocks off on various shit ranges around the UK it was the Salvation Army rocking up with a butty van and selling us hot food at cost price kept morale up so Jim Davidson can go fuck off.

As for the Legion were it not for them I (and my wife) would actually have been homeless when I left the forces, due to the army and local authority back then giving zero fucks about demobbing squaddies. So if he was actually slating them he can go fuck himself with razor wire.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Does the Salvation Army even get any funds from the Poppy Appeal?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Sally Army has fuck all to do with Poppies.

However when freezing my bollocks off on various shit ranges around the UK it was the Salvation Army rocking up with a butty van and selling us hot food at cost price kept morale up so Jim Davidson can go fuck off.

As for the Legion were it not for them I (and my wife) would actually have been homeless when I left the forces, due to the army and local authority back then giving zero fucks about demobbing squaddies. So if he was actually slating them he can go fuck himself with razor wire.

It gets worse the more I look into the Jim Davidson thing.

He was having a pop at the Legion, not Salvation Army. Says £163m turnover, £70m in reserves, and do absolutely nothing.

Then you follow the paper chain.

https://justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ustreme-fund

JR Media Ltd are proud supporters?

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12746000/officers

Yeah, I wonder what his angle is and why he now gives a stuff....

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Sockwatch update....

Watches Jim Davidson feeds.

Possible mpd sock? Thinking
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3