Cooking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I've done a few cookery courses with a cordon bleu trained chef. The very first session I did included a section on basic knife skills and one thing we were told very early on - don't scrape your knife across the chopping board. Plenty of people do it, either to move things around or scrape the chopped items into a pan - it will quickly blunt an edge. I either use a plastic dough scraper or, if not one to hand, turn the knife over and use the back of it for moving things around.

Very much this. Related note; it never ceases to amaze me how many people operate with blunt knives. Even a relatively cheap knife can be kept sharp easily enough and it makes a world of difference. In fact, my favourite knife is an Aldi knock off Santoku knife that was about a tenner. Had it years (originally bought it to take when going on holiday, e.g. cottages etc. where the provided knives make chopsticks seem sharp, see above) but it still serves really well and effortlessly slices through ripe tomatoes without distorting them (for me, the typical acid test of how sharp the knife is).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad used to make knives more blunt when he tried to sharpen them Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blunt knives are not safe nor pleasant to use.

Remember what Gordon and other chefs say, let the knife do the work. I've noticed this right after I started sharpening my own knives. No more pushing a blunt knife through whatever I'm slicing.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to learn to sharpen knives, as it goes.
Might see what Youtube has to offer.
I was always worried about fucking them up and then having no decent knife, but now I have inherited a few spares, I guess I could practice on one Thinking

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I'd like to learn to sharpen knives, as it goes.
Might see what Youtube has to offer.
I was always worried about fucking them up and then having no decent knife, but now I have inherited a few spares, I guess I could practice on one Thinking

was a butchers assistant when first left school, yes really!

to sharpen knife all you need is a good steel then its all down to the hand/wrist movement.

the above statement wouldn't be complete without >> Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know a song about that.

'She was only the butcher's daughter,
but she lay on the slab and said fillet...'

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something your avatar would say Laughing

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:42 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody mentioned All Clad yet? Superb American copper cored pans. Used in Masterchef?
spikey34 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oi, who are you calling "round"?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Croo Sit are a mortgage to buy but they combine the mass of cast iron with the non-stick effect of enamel (melted glass coating).
Cast Iron if lifetime stuff. Last as long as the hoose will.

Un-glazed cast iron needs a little bit of care. They need a layer of polymerised oils on to provide non-stick but that is not acidic food friendly so needs to be 'seasoned from time to time. Not a massive chore once you are into it.

Stainless avoid. Stuff sticks to it like shite to a hairy blanket. Usually thin so heat is not uniform so usually a copper plate is fused to the underside.
Cheapish.

Glass... Absolutely shite.

Alumininininmum ok if thick section.
Mark easily.

Teflon (PTFE) coated good for non stickery but if overheating is your thing the finish will be fooked and he fumes extremely toxic.

Plastic for some reason it absorbs the red from tomatoes. 🤔 (micro-wavery)

Your spoons should be wood or bamboo. They don't mark and they'll conform to the base of the pot.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:51 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
(PTFE)

You can get tablets for that now.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
MCN wrote:
(PTFE)

You can get tablets for that now.

DuPont didn't allow anyone to use the name for their product Teflon.
But it was the name that everyone stuck to.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Stainless avoid. Stuff sticks to it like shite to a hairy blanket. Usually thin so heat is not uniform so usually a copper plate is fused to the underside.
Cheapish.

Good quality stainless is good. I’ve got a stainless tri-ply wok (temp solution while I’m using induction until I can get a proper wok ring back for my carbon steel wok) and now seasoned even egg fried rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. I treat it like the carbon one; gentle agitation and water to clean (no soap) and rub a bit of oil into it after.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

DuPont didn't allow anyone to use the name for their product Teflon.
But it was the name that everyone stuck to.

Isn't there an improved more resilient non-stick option these days. I have a set of stainless pans with some kind on heat sink bottom that I've used for 20 years without any issues, but not for frying. No sir.
Ive been through a fair few Teflon pans over that time but if there's a better option for frying I'm all ears. Gas hob .

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Isn't there an improved more resilient non-stick option these days. I have a set of stainless pans with some kind on heat sink bottom that I've used for 20 years without any issues, but not for frying. No sir.
Ive been through a fair few Teflon pans over that time but if there's a better option for frying I'm all ears. Gas hob .

For pure frying (as opposed to adding other liquids at any point, e.g. sauces) I swear by uncoated but seasoned cast iron. Once well seasoned nothing sticks and it genuinely seems to cook stuff better. The only observation as to why is a non-stick pan appears to be almost "repellent" to the oil, like a new waterproof coat is to water, whereas cast iron seems to allow the oil to form a coating easily. Not sure exactly how this impacts transfer of heat, if at all, but it's a visible difference.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast Iron pot and skillets sets a plenty on eBay.
Cheap AF.
They have the cast texture and come pre-seasoned (which wears off quickly). But decent performance in them.
Season before use and regularly.
A wee bit of squeezy in the water won't hurt the polymer coating. Cooking will wear it off faster.
Once the oil is burned on it takes more than a bit of dish soap to shift it.
But tomatoes can wreck it. (Doesn't stop me frying tomatoes in my cast iron pans though.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tend to use lecreuset, but it's pricey if you pay the full price, and heavy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Rock Grill and Griddle Pan Set from Costco.
Around £40.
Superb set of pans. They are Aluminium with some kid of Stainless Steel coating which makes them pretty well non-stick.. and heavy.
I love them so much my wife is banned from using them (She can destroy a Teflon coated pan in record time).
The Grill is great for steaks and the Griddle so good for veg like broccolli and asparagus that I am starting to eat healthy food for the first time in decades.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless steel coating? How? Shocked

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea.
From the website
"The Rock Grill Pan & Griddle Set gives a great performance thanks to it's patent-pending RockTec surface treatment. This patent-pending technology uses tiny steel pellets to harden the aluminium creating a rock-like finish with peaks and hollows on the surface of the pan. The result is outstanding release performance and superior scratch resistance."
They state its made from aluminium and stainless steel.

Actually my bad... probably the handle that's stainless...

Embarassed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2