RE Meteor 350

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: RE Meteor 350 Reply with quote

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/motorcycles/meteor/

Probably not news to RE fanbois but the rumour mill suggests this will get sold in Europe. Replacement for the Bullet 350 I guess.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a RE but always had a soft spot for them. I like the fact they are old with new bits added (FI and the like) rather than a new retro so I really don't like that electronic sat nav thingy on them as standard.

If I ever have an RE I want it to look old and digital electronics spoil that look.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: RE Meteor 350 Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Eurgh, that's a horrid-looking fat thing. Still they seem to have upped the power by 25% over the last 50 or so years.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally new engine, no lineage to the UCE, no more pushrods, proper modern.

It's probably a nice, cheap mini cruiser but not for me. I think it looks kind of like any number of cheap generic Chinese cruisery things. Bet they sell like hotcakes though, maybe less so here but in Asia.

For anyone wanting a new 500 bullet or classic time to buy is right now they aren't making them anymore.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:18 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it's mostly for the Indian market, they do like a 350. A lot will depend on what they're knocking them out for.

What I find odd is they just released a Continental GT which is a 650 paralell twin when the original Continental GT was a 250 single.

Now they've released a Meteor which is a 350 single when the original Meteor was a 500 paralell twin.

This upsets me.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will compete with this:

https://www.bikewale.com/honda-bikes/hness-cb350/

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:34 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: RE Meteor 350 Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/motorcycles/meteor/

Probably not news to RE fanbois but the rumour mill suggests this will get sold in Europe. Replacement for the Bullet 350 I guess.

I read the info in the link.
I don’t know? I quite like the look of that?
Not sure if I’d swap it for my Hyosung GT250r...... nah, maybe not.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:38 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

That looks quite cheaply built & finished.
However it does come with a sari guard Smile .

I think the new Enfield looks a better bet?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Within India the base model Enfield is priced cheaper than the H'ness (CB350) and they have the home market advantage. Domestically they have a huge fanbase, almost like India's answer to Harley.

Peak power at 6.1k, it revs out higher than any of their previous singles. Price translates as about £1800
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50582545581_e3ac57aa67_o.png

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Totally new engine, no lineage to the UCE, no more pushrods, proper modern.

It's probably a nice, cheap mini cruiser but not for me. I think it looks kind of like any number of cheap generic Chinese cruisery things. Bet they sell like hotcakes though, maybe less so here but in Asia.

For anyone wanting a new 500 bullet or classic time to buy is right now they aren't making them anymore.

I see what you mean about generic Chinese. Change the badges and it could well be. I suppose nostalgia for RE's only pays in the UK with old farts liking them. Their main markets just want modern bikes albeit easy to work on.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I suppose nostalgia for RE's only pays in the UK with old farts liking them. Their main markets just want modern bikes albeit easy to work on.

Forums are pretty active in the US and Oz too. They are actually a bit more progressive, the Yanks rather than have the seemingly British obsession with modifying them to be worse have got UCE 535's putting out almost the same power as the 650 twins. The REOC has an active branch in Greece. Though all those international sales probably don't touch upon a months worth of domestic sales.

The Classic 350 did get updated for India's BS6 emssions laws. https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/our-world/media/news/product-launches/royal-enfield-launches-bs-vi-compliant-classic-350/
The 500 isn't though, I think it's just not very popular in India, something to do with taxation apparently. As far as I know there is no noise about that updated 350 making it over here. If I was the importer I wouldn't bring that and the Meteor, be splitting your own market. Also I suspect their ambition to launch alot of new models will be using the Meteor platform and the 650 twin platform and then spinning off variations on each (standard, cruiser, cafe, scrambler, etc). Maybe they have learned form the Brit Industry failing and know they need to keep with the times, Nostalgia to you, Retro to me, heap of shite to someone 15 years younger than me. They need to care about that bloke 15 years younger than me and get him to buy in to the brand.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 09 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Bhud wrote:

That looks quite cheaply built & finished.
However it does come with a sari guard Smile .

Yes; the castings look rough, the finish the barest minimum and the components cheap. However, as a new Honda for 1800/1900 quid, I think it will get a significant although lesser market share. I agree, RE will get the lion's share. However, it's all twilight zone stuff. I heard RE's statement on its strategy moving forward, and they are well positioned to exploit the market over the next few years. They wiĺl enable dealer customisation and will churn out lots of low capacity new bike variations.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's arriving here and it's cheap (though double the domestic price)

https://www.motogb.co.uk/model/2021-royal-enfield-meteor-350-fireball-721

https://www.motogb.co.uk/model/2021-royal-enfield-meteor-350-stellar-717

https://www.motogb.co.uk/model/2021-royal-enfield-meteor-350-supernova-720

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:05 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised they didn't just bite the bullet and go the whole hog and call the "supernova" a "sportster".

Puns intended.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Surprised they didn't just bite the bullet and go the whole hog and call the "supernova" a "sportster".

Puns intended.

I called it a "generic mini cruiser" on facebook and some dealer is arguing with me Laughing Was trying to make the point that style wise it looks like some generic little cruiser, nothing invokes RE.

I think at that price though they will sell plenty. If I still commuted daily on a bike I'd consider it, styling be dammed if I could thrash 4/5 years commuting out of it the price would be drawing me in. It'll grab a fat chunk of the Sons of Anarchy on a budget market too. I reckon we'll start to see a lot of these things on the road.

I find it odd though that they are not bringing the BS6 classic 350 here. It's like they are dropping a whole set of customers, people that bought a Bullet for the style I can't imagine buying a Meteor.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be ultra-generous here: I see low-budget, pocket Speedmaster before I see Royal Enfield in this bike.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
pocket Speedmaster

I think you just nailed it. That'll forever be my thought now when I see one.
singletonamos... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like REs and the new one looks good too. If I was (city) commuting on a bike it'd be something like that; light, small and simple. Single cylinder should be quite torquey away from traffic lights too.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a Bajaj Legend back in 2005; an '02 model purchased old stock brand new from the dealer. I rode it around for a year and 10,000 miles, and sold it for the price I paid. I found the quality, fit and finish to be quite acceptable, and would not hesitate to buy a bike manufactured in India again. I'm attracted to the new RE Interceptor 650. This Meteor looks like fun as well.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:35 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm missing something, but I really can't see the point of that here or in the EU. It is an A2 bike like the rest of RE's bikes but with even less power. Learners still can't ride it, and the difference in tax between that and the 650's works out to £1 a week over a year. If I wanted a good, cheap, nice looking retro bike that is A2 compliant why on earth would I choose that over the better looking and faster Interceptor or GT 650? In reality, the Meteor, because of it's extra weight (almost 200 fucking kg!) is going to be no faster than a full power 125 or maybe even slightly slower. My old motorised turd (XS250) had more power than that.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who buys a Royal Enfield because of its performance? The uninformed, no doubt. An old GS500 or ER500 has more power (on paper) than the Interceptor 650, they are lighter, and for all I know, have better brakes and handling. No, there is something else that drives people to Royal Enfield, nostalgia? style? perceived cost/value? Don't know exactly what it is, but I know what it is not...performance.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:17 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something.

Possibly the £2000 difference in price?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
I really can't see the point of that here or in the EU.

I don't think it was designed with even a thought to that market, they sell more bikes in India in a month (61000 Jan 2020) than in the UK in a year.

I think it would make a great commuter bike, at that price it's almost disposable. Over 3 years it costs about the same as getting the bus daily from my town to the next and knocks over half off the journey time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courtesy of Yammie Noob:

https://i.imgflip.com/4vhz0l.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2