Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Neighbour down the lane

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Never done this before- but I am genuinely not sure how I should proceed.

I moved into a new house about a year and a half ago- since then I've been (as normal) using my bike every day for work. My garage backs onto a lane between two roads of semi-deteched houses. A very ordinary layout.

In the past I have encountered a man who has had a bike outside his garage on one of the entrances and i've just done the usual wave you'd give to other bikers, to a blank face.

And later a thank you nod soon after I encountered him again as he stood by his bike, however this time he was almost in defiance as to getting out the way. His bike was smack bang in the middle of the lane and I passed on through without any haste, but also without hesistation. Everything was clear so as I went through I put it down to slow reactions on his part, and thought nothing about it. However, it got me thinking about that occasion again when:

Four weeks ago I was preparing to go for a ride, and he's out there getting prepared himself. His bike once again in the middle of the lane. As soon as I start off in his direction, he looks backs and shouts 'STOP!'. So I did. He then proceeded to take his side stand up and move his bike 1 inch over which I thought was odd and pointless. Where he shouted "Come here!"

I did- then he shouted for coming in and out of this end of the lane and why don't I go in/out the other end. At that point I was in a rush, so I said "Sorry, I can't hear you" and he motioned me to move on so I did. I must add there was nothing but menace in his voice.

Last night I am arriving home past the same point and I hear shouted at me "I f*cking told you!?". I didn't bother stopping.

I'm not really sure how to proceed with this one. He had one of those leather gangeland wastecoat jackets on and a big cruiser bike, which it seems to me that he looks at more than rides, and I'm not sure what point he would be prepared to go to prove a point.

For me, I happen to be going in (and coming from) the direction to which his entry to the lane I would have to pass, so it doesn't make sense to do a loop to come around the other end, not to mention that I'm far closer to the entrance he is by, than the other. I ride normal commuting hours so it's not like it's abnormal hours and I'm riding a bike down it at 2am - more over the exhausts are not modified or esspecially loud.

There's also a man who rides his bikes all manner of day and night times accross the road from me that passes the front of his house each time he goes off - so I wonder what he feels about him.

I'm prepared to mix it up just to keep him 'happy', but that doesn't mean that the one time I choose to pass by his gate that he won't take offence at it and do something potentially silly.

If the first reaction wasn't to shout in my face and command me around, I might have actually been open to talking to him, but from what i've seen, he seems to block that end of the lane occasionally himself with cars that means circumnavigating him so I'm not sure that give and take is something he's aware of.

Ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a private road or public highway? Does it get used as a rat-run which might make him particularly anti-anyone? On that note, have you observed (or could you discreetly observe) to see if anyone else ever tries to go that way?

There's all sorts of things you could do; ultimately you can't choose your neighbours though so sometimes it can be better to take it on the chin and choose a less obstructive path than act on principle (which as satisfying as it might be, probably won't ultimately be in your best interests). Because of this, I'd be inclined to go and have a pleasant chat with the guy and just try and understand his point of view. If he's aggressive or has some other reason he feels is justified, I'd back down and go the other way if it isn't a massive hassle. Involving any authorities is unlikely to end well; if he doesn't know where you live now, it probably wouldn't take him much effort to find out.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
If the first reaction wasn't to shout in my face and command me around, I might have actually been open to talking to him

Swallow any pride and take an opportunity to have a non-confrontational, unaggressive, unrushed, unhelmeted chat with him. Smile. Find out what his particular problem is, try and get to know him a bit? He's no doubt a complete tosser but for the sake of a quiet life you just want to avoid confrontation or the situation will just escalate and escalate.

Blurredman wrote:
I'm not sure what point he would be prepared to go to prove a point.
And this.

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:03 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 44 Magnum, stick a big cigar in yer gob and go all Dirty Harry on him Laughing Thumbs Up

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Sounds like a wanker. I'd be dipping the clutch and making noise every time I pass his house, sure as shit wouldn't be taking commands about how I exit my own lane from the jumped up pric. I'm a confrontational bastard though so this is terrible advice, that may end up in a Police cell or hospital bed.

Quote:
He had one of those leather gangeland wastecoat jackets on

You can tell how "gangland" from the patches on the back.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to picture this...

You have something like two parallel public roads with a dirt lane connecting them. You could have up to 4 houses, at each corner of the lane with garages, something like that?

Code:
=======
 H | H
 H | H
=======

And you're coming out of your garage in say the bottom right and passing his garage in the top left?

If I've got all the above right I'm afraid your neighbour is just a cunt Sad

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:19 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Ideas?

Send him some of these?

https://www.boots.com/staydry/staydry-free-sample

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:24 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

I'm not really sure how to proceed with this one. He had one of those leather gangeland wastecoat jackets on and a big cruiser bike, which it seems to me that he looks at more than rides, and I'm not sure what point he would be prepared to go to prove a point.

Did he have any badges or embroidery on said waistcoat?

Shouldn't be relevant in this day and age but if he was a member of certain clubs, it might give you an insight as to his mentality and how far he is prepared to go to prove a point.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is you have no idea even how sane he is; there's nothing to say that beyond being a pain, he's also completely unhinged and carries a knife with him. As above and per my original suggestion, have a passive chat with the guy first and see how you get on. Judging by his approach so far he probably thinks he "owns" that bit of land (he may actually if it's a private road, although ownership and access rights are two different things).

As difficult as it is, best to keep things civil; if that means you have to bite your lip then so be it, better than appearing on Neighbours from Hell. Judging by your post and general query, it seems like you already have the mentality to at least step back and consider what's happening, which is probably going to be in your favour ultimately.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
The problem is you have no idea even how sane he is; there's nothing to say that beyond being a pain, he's also completely unhinged

^This

It's easy for me to give advice on the internet, and the reason for that is, I'm not involved at all.
I have had conversations with neighbours who appear to pleasantly and politely concede access and parking rights, but who then proceed to ignore them when I'm not there. In some ways, that's the polar opposite of what you're experiencing (i.e. a bloke who appears to be raging out and to have exhausted his social skills). In reality, I was absolutely seething at my neighbours' behaviour, but I never showed it, even once. So they probably don't know, to this day, the rather dark thoughts and ideas that crossed my mind. That's how it should be.

I don't think there's any harm in having a nice, polite conversation with him, but I would think twice before being the one to initiate that convo. I had an argument with a neighbour once - she was completely wrong but the matter escalated right there because I was so busy and preoccupied with a difficult phone call at the time. I didn't leave it for too long before I rang the doorbell and pretended to admire the garden and pretended to regret coming across badly. Arguments over access and parking are just a part of life.

Your neighbour is probably furious with you, and, on the face of it, there's no reason to believe the matter couldn't be ironed out with a nice chat. However, mental health and motorcycles are linked, as everyone knows. They help people deal with their issues. In some cases, though, I believe that motorcycles may be contraindicated for certain personality disorders. I don't think it's unreasonable to be wary of encountering a disproportionate reaction.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Neighbour down the lane Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Blurredman wrote:
If the first reaction wasn't to shout in my face and command me around, I might have actually been open to talking to him

Swallow any pride and take an opportunity to have a non-confrontational, unaggressive, unrushed, unhelmeted chat with him. Smile. Find out what his particular problem is, try and get to know him a bit? He's no doubt a complete tosser but for the sake of a quiet life you just want to avoid confrontation or the situation will just escalate and escalate.

That.

Whatever else happens depends on that. I'd be inclined to walk up the alley one nice day when you know he's there, and ask then.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn your engine off, take your helmet off, and talk to him. So far you've just been the person that rode off while he was talking to you.

He's a biker and neighbour. Worth trying to be friendly.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Turn your engine off, take your helmet off, and talk to him. So far you've just been the person that rode off while he was talking to you.

He's a biker and neighbour. Worth trying to be friendly.

Yes, very odd. I've yet to have a biker-related conversation with neighbours (or even strangers for that matter) go sour. Then again I don't have >1 litre and a pair of drag-pipes unlike my father-in-law Very Happy

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is, though, from what the guy wrote, there are certain curious specifics:

1) Big cruiser bike
2) Wearing a biker vest

Combine that with the shoutiness, and it paints a picture, rightly or wrongly, about someone who thinks of himself as the hard man of Ellesmere Lane or something. That end of the road is his - if you doubt or question this, you're challenging his dominance, real or imagined. Sort of imposing a "big dog" prison narrative on his immediate surroundings, which tends to not work well in the medium-to-long term.

There are 2 sorts, aren't there. There's the cruisery vested type with well above average self-awareness and communication skills, who can even put difficult people at ease, and make others like them. The leader type. Then there's the sort who's just struggling inside his head.

Who knows. It will probably be fine to just talk to him. Probably

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got, or can you borrow an orangutan?

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:49 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
Have you got, or can you borrow an orangutan?

wouldn't that necessitate a right turn?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a leather waistcoat like this one Question
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104146

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:05 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104146

I'd wear the helmet for shits and giggles, you could offend the health and safety crowd, woke snowflakes and vegans all in 1 go Laughing

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back all.

Yes, it's a publically accessible lane between two streets of terraced/semi deteched houses- the backs of which and therefore the gardens face onto the lane. It's used a fair amount for those who like to park their cars in their back gardens or garages. Even the bin lorry goes down it to pick up the green bins.

It's not a quite estate I would say, you hear the odd people rowing or having a party on a friday/saturday night quite often, and there's a lot of holey exhausts on cars around the area, and dogs barking a fair amount in the day. The rag and bone men come around constantly on the residential streets as well as the lanes, and the ice cream van seems to come at all hours of the day and weather Laughing

Jacket: I couldn't see his back so I don't know if there was anything particularly relavent sewed on him that indicated any faithfulness to a particular club.

Pride aside, Since his first confrontation, I've been switching it up anyway just for a quiet life, not to mention that every other fortnight I actually work from home and don't even touch my bike during that period, so I was surprised to hear him shouting from his garden the other night. Which is why I thought he might be an unreasonable chap to assume that he would never want me exiting that end of the lane ever.

From the first time I rode by him, I noticed something odd in that he didn't smile or even really acknowledge me other than to watch me ride by. Just by these signs, a 'simple chat' whereby I would be handing myself on a plate to him didn't seem the wisest things to do. The first time he confronted me he wasn't pleasant, but I didn't ignore him or ride straight past him. After he was done shouting and I said "I can't hear you", he motioned me to move on anyway- so I did, the second time he was on the other side of a fence.

I know what it's like having bad neighbours as in my teens to mid 20's I had next door neighbours that would throw things, vandalise, and verbally abuse very often so I know how it can feel not feeling 'safe' in your street, which is why I wonder how I should approach this, other than 'by ear'.

As I see it sometimes, when bullies anounce themselves you can ignore them or square up to them, or bow to them.

All three of the responses can give mixed results depending on how much you want to test his bluff.

I think I am mostly bowing, by 'mixing it up' but he still took offence at that, after all..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rockburner
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:26 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Thanks for getting back all.

Yes, it's a publically accessible lane between two streets of terraced/semi deteched houses- the backs of which and therefore the gardens face onto the lane. It's used a fair amount for those who like to park their cars in their back gardens or garages. Even the bin lorry goes down it to pick up the green bins.

It's not a quite estate I would say, you hear the odd people rowing or having a party on a friday/saturday night quite often, and there's a lot of holey exhausts on cars around the area, and dogs barking a fair amount in the day. The rag and bone men come around constantly on the residential streets as well as the lanes, and the ice cream van seems to come at all hours of the day and weather Laughing

Jacket: I couldn't see his back so I don't know if there was anything particularly relavent sewed on him that indicated any faithfulness to a particular club.

Pride aside, Since his first confrontation, I've been switching it up anyway just for a quiet life, not to mention that every other fortnight I actually work from home and don't even touch my bike during that period, so I was surprised to hear him shouting from his garden the other night. Which is why I thought he might be an unreasonable chap to assume that he would never want me exiting that end of the lane ever.

From the first time I rode by him, I noticed something odd in that he didn't smile or even really acknowledge me other than to watch me ride by. Just by these signs, a 'simple chat' whereby I would be handing myself on a plate to him didn't seem the wisest things to do. The first time he confronted me he wasn't pleasant, but I didn't ignore him or ride straight past him. After he was done shouting and I said "I can't hear you", he motioned me to move on anyway- so I did, the second time he was on the other side of a fence.

I know what it's like having bad neighbours as in my teens to mid 20's I had next door neighbours that would throw things, vandalise, and verbally abuse very often so I know how it can feel not feeling 'safe' in your street, which is why I wonder how I should approach this, other than 'by ear'.

As I see it sometimes, when bullies anounce themselves you can ignore them or square up to them, or bow to them.

All three of the responses can give mixed results depending on how much you want to test his bluff.

I think I am mostly bowing, by 'mixing it up' but he still took offence at that, after all..

Have you tried talking to other neighbours who use the lane? Your immediate neighbours for example? They might know a bit more about him and his background.

Personally, for the sake of a quiet life, I'd just get into the habit of using the other end of the lane. It's not worth getting in some people's way for the sake of being 30 seconds earlier to anywhere.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it another way: you lived at a place for over a year. You're a biker and your close neighbour is a biker and in all that time you've not gone over to chat about bike stuff?! Maybe he thinks you're anti social Laughing

Certainly if I'm working on a bike in the front garden all my neighbours make a bee-line over to have a natter. TBH the bike's just a jumping off point for conversation; with the lockdown ppl are looking for any excuse Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take the wind out of his sails completely by asking to borrow a left-handed thrutch-wrench or similar, as by doing so you will not only have a legitimate reason to enter into conversation, but also give him the chance to play the role of King of the Hill. Another thing that may work is praising his bike, and telling him you've always wanted one of 'those'.

Once he is satisfied that he is above you in the order of things, he may well pipe down, and you can be content in the knowledge that you have outplayed the gobby cnut in the game of life...

Every street has one, usually a middle-aged bloke running to fat who's done and seen everything, and can't get his pecker up any more so takes it out on the neighbours.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:32 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just give him a stiff ignoring.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before doing anything, arm yourself with as much information as you can. The lane has an implied right of public access, from what you're saying (e.g. rubbish trucks can use it) but the owner can withdraw that at any time. For all we know, the angry man could have bought that lane/alleyway. They (little alleyways) often come up for sale on the usual websites.

As a precaution, find out who owns that lane.
https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/DetailedEnquiryInit.do

Then fire an email off to your council and ask if there is a public right of way over it. They have to keep that information and make it available to the public.

Then check your own title deeds again, carefully, and see if they say anything about you being allowed to use that lane for access.

There are some devious people out there. Americans call them "shysters". For example, developer builds 4 new houses on a plot of land. There is some land left over, but not enough for another house, or he doesn't get planning permission to build on it, so he turns it into car parking slots, and assigns one to each of his new houses. There are 3 or 4 left over. Developer sells his houses with car parking spaces, and is on to the next project. The title deeds to each of the 4 houses he sold doesn't assign the extra spaces to any of these properties, but says they can all use them, "for guests and visitors". Some wily asshole then buys one of these houses and sticks up a "no parking" sign over these spaces. He's a freeholder and occupier. The other houses are sold and immediately let out to tenants. The tenants don't know about the "spare" land. He gets blustery and angry when someone infringes on "his" spaces. Hehehehe. The statutory time period elapses and he claims and registers the land as his, on the Land Registry site...

A common trick, that. Arm yourself with information before anything.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud are you talking about possessory title? One of the tests is whether the land has been fenced off, which is usually the clue when someone is trying this route. Also, I can't see someone trying to claim a track that is well used by all sorts of people, as there has to be a sufficient degree of exclusive physical control in order for angry bloke to be able to claim it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3