Neighbour down the lane

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:

Jacket: I couldn't see his back so I don't know if there was anything particularly relavent sewed on him that indicated any faithfulness to a particular club.

The ones to be particularly observant around usually have a diamond "1%" patch on the front of their cut-off. This originates from a press statement: "99% of the motorcycling public are law-abiding; there are 1% who are not". Also explains why you'd want to avoid acting incautiously.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Bhud are you talking about possessory title? One of the tests is whether the land has been fenced off, which is usually the clue when someone is trying this route. Also, I can't see someone trying to claim a track that is well used by all sorts of people, as there has to be a sufficient degree of exclusive physical control in order for angry bloke to be able to claim it.

Well, yes, either adverse possession or else owning the freehold having bought it. I think it's important to find out if he has any leg to stand on, as people claim all sorts of things when put on the spot. 'Everyone around here knows Bob's land is directly behind his house. Ever since you came along you've caused all this fuss! There were never any problems before you moved in." That's a possible convo with a (tenant) neighbour. Estate agents misinform tenants on purpose, telling them that this or that spot comes with their property, and absent landlords take no interest.

The guy could, honestly or not, claim.that he'd always understood that access rights were only for people on one side of the street, or something. I take your point about the strict tests for adverse possession - it's been a very long time since I studied this stuff. But people lie, and little dominions appear on the ground. It's always nice to have a couple of printouts at hand if you need to persuade a neighbour.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

Jacket: I couldn't see his back so I don't know if there was anything particularly relavent sewed on him that indicated any faithfulness to a particular club.

The ones to be particularly observant around usually have a diamond "1%" patch on the front of their cut-off. This originates from a press statement: "99% of the motorcycling public are law-abiding; there are 1% who are not". Also explains why you'd want to avoid acting incautiously.

Although I have come across a few of the 1% crowd and they've seemed pleasant enough, although I wouldn't go as far as to say friendly. I think their reputation is usually aimed at their interactions with rivals rather than a passing member of the public. If he does have a patch though (one with actual meaning) then it's probably legit as my understanding is wearing a patch you're not entitled to tends to result in a rather severe punishment. Shocked

If he does wear a patch and it's legit and he's someone to be reckoned with etc. etc. then try and befriend him; the local toerags will probably never touch your bike if they think you're associated. Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:26 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Although I have come across a few of the 1% crowd and they've seemed pleasant enough, although I wouldn't go as far as to say friendly. I think their reputation is usually aimed at their interactions with rivals rather than a passing member of the public.

Generally. But if one had "told" someone not to ride past the front of their garage, there's no telling what might happen if they did it again.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Before doing anything, arm yourself ..

..seems sensible.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:00 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Blurredman wrote:

There are more than just MC members sport 1% patches. Some don't like it ,, most don't care.
It's the back of the vest you need to look at.
I would say though, most MC members aren't really looking to draw attention and make shit for themselves for no reason.

Also, the vast majority are very approachable and are more likely as not to be quite nice chaps.

Last edited by Weisse Schlange on 18:02 - 12 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, seems more like a random nutter than an actual 1% type, but then what can I know sitting from here on my computer, miles away, just reading a forum post about someone I never met? There's a 1% clubhouse not too far from me - they keep to themselves but seem nice enough people. I mean, they never - and I mean never - cause any issues with people who live in the area. You don't hear a word from them. They even nod, believe it or not.

Just thinking, but if he's really a member of a bike club and is acting unreasonably, there might be some sort of recourse. Perhaps someone else in his club could have a word with him and find out what the problem is. Causing issues with neighbours over some minor issue? Hmmm.. Can't say it would never happen, but I would have thought actual 1% club types would be more circumspect.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:00 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most are. You do get the odd nutter who goes through life with his cock in his hand though.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:17 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Most are. You do get the odd nutter who goes through life with his cock in his hand though.

I'm not a nutter.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We only got one bike now, but we used to have four or 5, most parked in the street. So, it was quite normal to see other peoples bikes parked near ours, someone visiting someone, oh there are bikes parker there,I
will park up to.Often had a chat with random bikers.

But, There was a neighbour with a bike, would never, ever park next to our bikes. If they could not park on the otherside of the street they'd rather go round the block and park in another street.

Would literally never make eye contact, or look in our direction when getting on their bike. Never waved back, or said hello either. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 12 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck him, Shout shit at him and laugh at his tractor. Yell at him to get the fuck out of the way. Give the finger and fuck him off. There is no point in being nice to anybody unless you want something from them that you can't get anywhere else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:23 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has amused me, it's rather on the ironic side as it happens but I doubt you have even realised so I guess I should explain.

A while ago I noticed you were giving me pretty random bad karma which doesn't bother me in itself but I had no idea why you were doing it, it really was pretty random. It's not like I care about the odd bit of bad karma but when the same person keeps doing it i like to know why.
So being me and always up for a bit of conflict I PM'd you and asked what your problem was which of course you ignored except to give me more bad karma.
Now the irony bit if you hadn't worked it out yet is you think you are in the same position, this person has a problem with you and you don't know why.

So in my experience he probably does have a problem with you and it's probably something to do with you behaving like a dick but until you face up to it and admit what YOU may have done to piss him off your aren't going to get anywhere.

Just to add a bit of context. I have never met you, never spoken to you, never conversed with you on any website, you are nothing to me, you are not even in my MonkeySphere so I really have no idea what your problem is.

The one thing I do know is it's unlikely you are telling the whole truth because then you wouldn't be able to play the victim when my experience tells me you are the aggressor.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nothing too much to add to this thread other than responses at this point in time.

I'll have a look for symbols. I've only actually encountered him on the bike maybe 4 times in 18 months so it's not like he's constantly outside in the lane tinkering. A few times he's been working on his car, but In those instances I've gone around the block rather than attempting to squeeze through.

Sickpup: I leave people good and bad karma- that's what it's there for, I suppose. You have also had good/interesting etc karma from me too.. Simply, sometimes I think you can be a bit harsh on people who just need more time or explanation to understand something. Your 'weight' on the forum is large from your knowlege and experience and you've been here a looooong time, but I don't think that means that some of the below the belt responses given to people just asking for help should be accepted as a trade off for this. I'd give negative karma to anyone who I think is being mean and obscene, even to a veteran like yourself. You say that you're "always up for a bit of conflict". I know this, and just like the chap down the lane, I pondered and thought how best to respond, but I actually clean forgot about your quiry. Either way. Thanks for jogging my memory, my appologies for the late reply, my answer is now said.

Most people would agree that there is little point in asking other people's opinions to an enquiry if ommiting information (for or against) that would be appropriate to the case was done. There is no purpose in that, to my mind. The facts are all here. I go to work, I come back. I tend to use the same route each day as any commuter does. It can be boring, and monotonous and I mix it up as most of us commutor riders would, esspecially in the summer! But we all choose the route that works for us most of the time, and gives us the least delays. Not only does that end of the lane happen to be the direction to which I am going most of the time, but turning onto the main road from that street you would enter onto, is immensely easier to pull out on in busy morning traffic with no obscurred views (unlike the other main road entrance)- It's a safety thing, too..

It's quite obvious the chap has a problem with me. But according to he, in his own words, he didn't divulge at that time that it was anything more than simply using that end of the lane. Maybe he likes only the sound of his own cruiser. When we next meet face to face and looks calm enough, I shall try to ask - my attempts may be rebuffed - who knows until it is attempted.

There are some 'proper' bikers on the street that live opposit me, I think one is a despatch rider because as I've mentioned he comes and goes in the oddest of times but I'm uncertain. He could of course simply work odd shifts. Either way- his bike is very much louder than mine, and he spends minutes idling the bike cold whilst putting on his gear. He lives practically the opposit side of the road from the 'man at the end of the lane'. I put my gear on, start the bike and just ride off without any messing around and with minimal evidence that I was ever even there. Thankfully my bikes have that sort of usability.

Everybody seems to keep to themselves and only my immediate neighbours do I talk to readily- that said, in recent weeks with the weather being not the best, they haven't been in their gardens sitting in the rain like they do when it's sunny. So i've not had any sporadic opportunity to casually bring up any topic concerning the chap down the lane.

As for 'lane'. - It's not a 'track' but a road between two garden walls in a residential street - which is why I stated it's an ordinary sitauation (?). I suppose others might say alley, and maybe in legal terms it is alley.
There are no restrictions put in place. Sometimes you find lanes with gates either end that residents are given keys to by the council (or you have to buy them yourself!)- this is not the case here.
As far as i've examined and enquired with through the official lines of enquiry, the residential lanes here are council owned and are technically classed as a public highway.

Last edited by blurredman on 16:54 - 13 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

So being me and always up for a bit of conflict

Do you live near a lane? Thinking

Mr. Green

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great point - there are always 2 sides to every story. Tbh, I never thought of that in this case, owing to the details (bike type and the man's presentation). Sometimes you have to take an account at face value, and all you can say in response must be qualified as subject to the accuracy and fairness of the account you've been supplied.

It's sometimes said that the things people own end up owning them. I think we can all think of example of people who were perfectly normal, reasonable people with whom we share a lot of interests in common, but who then let themselves get drawn into a line of consumerism/marketing that masquerades as a "lifestyle" choice, or a socio-political statement, or both. Imagine a guy who really likes motorbikes, for example. He's owned several, has enjoyed off-roading and some amateur track stuff. He's been to see the Isle of Man TT a couple of times. Just a normal motorcycle enthusiast from a leafy suburb. Then, one day, he gets himself one of those bikes. He starts watching certain American Youtube channels. It starts to affect his clothing choices. He decides to get himself some tattoos for the first time, and, also for the first time, to let his beard grow out. He can't really answer to himself why he's doing these things, but somehow when he goes into the office, he feels like he's doing something right. Kelly from accounts looked at him a fraction of a second longer as he walked in the door, and he felt absolutely great, in a way he hasn't done since he was in his 20s. He goes home, reads up more, and starts living in an echo-chamber devoted to those bikes. Every day seems less like Orpington on the regular, and more of an adventure. So he buys one of those leather waistcoats/vests, and stitches stuff from Ebay onto it. He's "made it" - he's "progressed", he's "graduated". The entire language of his new uniform and personality has been sold to him on a plate. Now, he doesn't even see sports bikes or adventure bikes. He has no other interests and can talk of nothing else but that company that makes those bikes. It preoccupies his thoughts, day and night.

Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, perhaps we can all think of someone like that. One of the traps that comes with being a bit left behind. No real harm done, unless it completely dominates one's psyche to the extent that underlying personality disorders come to the fore. And, personally, I'm sure they do, in many cases. In some cases, this compounding effect could lead to a bewildering and difficult, but not altogether inexplicable, case. A man who was once reasonable and normal and ignored or overlooked by everybody suddenly emerges as the hard man of Willow Lane. The unrelenting conflict between the world between that man's ears and the reality of seeing a normal person going about their business, or even just being self-confident, or happy and contented, yet riding a bike that isn't one of those bikes. How dare he, what an affront, what an upset to the (un)natural order in which he's so invested, etc. A mental health mess.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of a guy who started posting on here a while back about
a nutter who wore the gear to suggest he was an MC type biker and
tried to use this as an excuse to bully people.
( I think it was Southampton way IIRC)
Not sure how it all turned out.
Never been much of a joiner but met guys in MCs who were quite easy to chat to and get along with.

As for Blurredmans neighbour
Maybe he's a Santas Slave, maybe he's a fuckwit.
maybe he just needs a hug who knows?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Never been much of a joiner

Same here. But I might join the VJMC, if only to keep updated with the way things are panning out, and how it might affect me. I'll decide one way or the other over this weekend. Maybe they'll give me a badge so that I can sew it on and be the terror of the neighbourhood. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Laughing Laughing Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm minded of the quote from the late, great Groucho Marx...

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

??

Did he make the quote after deaded?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Sickpup: I leave people good and bad karma- that's what it's there for, I suppose.

Check the Karma you've given, that isn't true. Since you started giving me bad karma I don't remember seeing you give any to anyone else, that's why I messaged you which you ignored. Oddly it was ok by you for Kramda to attack me but it wasn't ok for me to defend myself.

As to your problem if the alleys are the usual ones between houses in Wales they are barely a car wide, if you had forced your way past me we'd have a problem and I don't even wear a leather waistcoat.
Try putting yourself in the other persons position and see if you'd take offence at your behaviour.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I'm minded of the quote from the late, great Groucho Marx...

I'm with you on that one. I lasted two weeks at the Cubs before I engineered my own 'constructive dismissal', much to the chagrin of my folks who thought they'd found some cheap childcare and a bit of uninterrupted shagging time.

I like Bhud's take on the typical Harley rider - I too know people like that. They tend to be over 50, have a few quid and a wife who tolerates it as a phase. Their bikes plus bits cost 15k, their Harley-brand accessories cost 2k and they stick together as nobody else is really interested. They tend to be ex-sportsbike owners who claim to have seen the light. Each to their own Smile

Last edited by Diggs on 16:06 - 14 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I like Bhud's take on the typical Harley rider - I too know people like that. They tend to be over 50, have a few quid and a wife who tolerates it as a phase. Their bikes plus bits cost 15k, their Harley-brand accessories cost 2k and they stick together as nobody else is really interested. They tend to be ex-sportsbike owners who claim to have seen the light. Each to their own Smile

Laughing

This is the exact description of a guy a knew. Boring job in retail management, bought a bmw motorbike so he’d have something to get his leg over (given that it was clear he wasn’t getting any from his missus). He eventually graduated up to one of those bikes. Within weeks he’d spent almost the cost of the bike on shiny bits for it, open front helmet, leather jackets and waistcoat and last I heard he’d had a custom paint job put on it. He really did think he was the bees knees and that all other bikes/bikers were inferior.

Hadn’t spoken to him in years until I happened upon him in the city centre, arm in arm with a “woman not his wife”, despite the fact I know they’re still married... (okay, so infidelity has nothing to do with owning one of those bikes, just a funny little add on to the tale)

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
the typical Harley rider - I too know people like that. They tend to be over 50, have a few quid and a wife who tolerates it as a phase. Their bikes plus bits cost 15k, their Harley-brand accessories cost 2k and they stick together as nobody else is really interested. They tend to be ex-sportsbike owners who claim to have seen the light.

Evidence for the Defence
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102402

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Diggs wrote:
the typical Harley rider - I too know people like that. They tend to be over 50, have a few quid and a wife who tolerates it as a phase. Their bikes plus bits cost 15k, their Harley-brand accessories cost 2k and they stick together as nobody else is really interested. They tend to be ex-sportsbike owners who claim to have seen the light.

Evidence for the Defence

(Sharp intake of breath)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c08wiEyVuak

(somewhere in the distance, far away, one could hear the sound of a machine-gun, firing rather sluggishly down a drainpipe)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3