Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: BSA Back? Reply with quote

BSA could be making a comeback

https://www.ft.com/content/76d67754-1ba6-4dbc-ab1e-8da232f47284
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: BSA Back? Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

Don't have an FT subscriprtion, so can't read it, here is an article from Visor Down

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/iconic-nameplate-bsa-return-british-built-bikes

Quote:
Chairman of the Mahindra Group, Anand Mahindra is reported to be the main backer of the project and is planning to build a range of electric bikes in the UK.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:52 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they should do is design a basic motorbike that is desirable to the motorcycling public and competative with their rivals in both price and performance. They could incorporate new technology and features that were painfully missing from their previous models.

They could take out finance so they can make it on a state of the art production line with computerised just-in-time stock control.

Then in enimitable British fashion, someone could fuck with the prototype so the motor wont fit into the frame without partially dismantling it and instead of checking with anyone, just set the production line going.

They could call it the "Fury".

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bmf.co.uk/news/show/boost-for-bikes-in-new-government-funding

Quote:
A portion of the funding will be dedicated to the Electric BSA Project, where a retro-style motorcycle powered by an electric motor will be developed.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So BSA set to make a comeback from an Indian billionaire at around the same time as Indian Enfield go for a burton.

Have I got that right? Enfield are stopping production?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:29 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Have I got that right? Enfield are stopping production?

They just released a brand new model (Meteor 350) so I don't think so. They've announced they are stopping making the 500 singles.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really a fan of either but would be nice to see BSA back in business. Albeit an Indian reincarnation.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:41 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like with Enfield and Norton, this is good for the UK.

Back in the day, and I suppose a little bit still today, the big Japanese and Italian manufacturers would do their normal bikes, and the occasional ultra-desirable, expensive, limited production run special to keep people interested. None of us could realistically imagine buying such a machine.

Now the Indian-owned old British brands are doing the same thing, but the limited-run specials are just the UK domestic offerings - all of the Nortons, Enfield twin, and now a BSA electric bike. The stuff sold in bulk in India will be basic bikes at a third of the price, we get to buy their loss leaders.

I am looking forward to a volume manufacturer doing an electric bike.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 16 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Vomit!

Never ridden one, but still, vomit!

If it ain't got an internal combustion engine I ain't interested Tut Tut

Luddite? Yes, probably.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:31 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

I would too if it has the range that isn't compromised by performance but I'm not sure they could even fit a battery of that capacity in a bike yet.

Sadly I expect it to be more like the HD Livewire than a 2 wheeled Tesla.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's good news for anyone. The Mahindra guy is being given taxpayers money to fund a private enterprise, and we all know he isn't going to reinvent the wheel. He's going to open an R&D facility here, but no huge advances on the electric motor or on battery cells will be in the pipeline. I think that would be a very tall order. I find it far more likely that what we can expect is a load of designers coming up with "retro" design concepts around a basic electric motor. Call me cynical, but I think they may as well be fashion designers for a clothing company.

What I would far rather see is investment into researching and developing synthetic clean-burning fuels which can readily be used in normal ICE bikes, without the need for acres upon acres of contaminated land from mining rare earths in the Far East - out of sight but not out of mind. Nor the immense environmental cost of scrapping ICE vehicles (which is bound to happen if they're forced off the road), or of manufacturing and importing electric fuel cells and other components.

I am also perturbed by the fact that BMF, an organisation whose membership comprises mostly owners of ICE bikes, enthuses about this news. Recently, there was news of a courier company in Oxford that had plans to buy an unspecified number of Zero electric bikes (each at £15K-plus) and to hire a team of couriers on £8.70 an hour to ride them. I checked their blog and it seems they are avid advocates of Oxford's new Zero Emissions Zone - i.e. they want to ban ICE bikes from Oxford city centre. And why not, eh. After all, if they're the only ones with electric fleet bikes at their disposal, everyone will have to get their pizzas delivered by them. Good for business. I rather suspect that MAG and BMF have the same sort of plan in mind, being as they're about "powered two-wheelers" and not motorcycles per se. They're rather quiet about pedestrianisation and things like that, aren't they. I think the electric scooterist is probably the "new" customer base.

What I'm getting at is, we're all Indians now. It started with the inner city moped crime wave, which has now spread to all major towns in the country. They ride through red lights, ride on the pavements, etc. and the police don't want to know. That's how it started, and now you see the same thing with electric scooters being ridden in an unlawful manner, in contravention of all rules of traffic. In other words, our roads system is regressing to a lesser regulated and lesser policed state reminiscent of developing countries. A lot of these countries simply leapfrogged an industrial age infrastructure stage. For example, some SE Asian countries that didn't have an expensive potable water mains system in their cities simply omitted it altogether, substituting a cheaper "groundwater" solution, and the people there drink bottled water to this day. In other countries, hotels were developed without an underground waste/sewage system, so a road transport haulage solution (from tanks) was hastily devised. In other countries, there was no countrywide landline telephone network, and they simply went straight to 3G. The list goes on. Now, the tables are turned and our road and traffic systems are being quietly offlined to support the general chaos of low power output low range electric vehicles.

In summary I find that it's unlikely that whatever electric vehicles "BSA" may develop will be aimed at motorcyclists, as such. I think it will be for a different sort of crowd altogether. It's even possible that private ownership of whatever they're selling won't be on the cards, and that they'll simply be electric bicycles owned and leased for hire by local councils, or similar.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

They could call it the "Fury".

Wotcha.

What ? Again ? Very Happy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:56 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember though, BSA is an armaments manufacturer who branched out into bicycles. Motorcycles came later.

Pretty sure they never stopped making guns.

You could say electric bicycles would be closer to their roots than motorcycles.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Now the Indian-owned old British brands are doing the same thing, but the limited-run specials are just the UK domestic offerings - all of the Nortons, Enfield twin, and now a BSA electric bike. The stuff sold in bulk in India will be basic bikes at a third of the price, we get to buy their loss leaders.

Everything RE sell in the UK is sold (cheaper) in India, there are no UK factory specials as far as I know. I don't think (beyond a little prestige) they actually care all that much about the UK market, hence it being handled by an importer not by RE.

I'd bet the BSA thing is a bit of a scam. R&D centre, electric vehicles = tax payers money and probably very favourable tax terms.

Quote:
The new BSA Company plans to start with assembling traditional internal combustion engine bikes costing between £5,000 and £10,000 with parts from various suppliers in the UK and beyond.

Source https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/16/bsa-electric-bike-motorcycles-uk

Spend ages designing some electric Unicorn while punting out ICE bikes in volume using the nostalgia of the badge, kind of like RE but minus the unbroken heritage.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Remember though, BSA is an armaments manufacturer.

Pretty sure they never stopped making guns.

I’m not sure?, but I think they were tied up with Hatusan? , a Turkish arms manufacturer?
I think, possibly, err err?, maybe.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good that we will see more electric bike manufacturers. Doesn't look like a scam either since they are looking to sell ICE bikes first.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:04 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Everything RE sell in the UK is sold (cheaper) in India, there are no UK factory specials as far as I know. I don't think (beyond a little prestige) they actually care all that much about the UK market, hence it being handled by an importer not by RE.

Cheaper, but are they identical, or are they doing lower quality domestic models and higher quality export models?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Cheaper, but are they identical, or are they doing lower quality domestic models and higher quality export models?

With the twins I doubt it as they invested in modern production lines, having a 2nd line to produce identical but slightly crappier versions would seem a waste of money. Even if they did that's far from the claims of factory specials for the UK.

The older UCE's, god knows. I know my CGT's ECU is labelled as an export one but I suspect that is just mapping, India has variable fuel quality so probably needs fuel maps to suit. Seems a bit of a stretch to say Keihin supply 2 identical ECU's to RE, but one is somehow made a little bit crappier. Why would Keihin make a slightly crappier but physically identical ECU?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:43 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this just appearing:

Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

And for purely selfish reasons I dug out this earlier article:

Government confirms motorbikes not included in 2035 petrol ban

tl;dr The government was going with 2040 then 2035 in the summer and now considering 2030... for cars and light vans. Apparently 'cos electric motorcycles are a bit crap and there being a lot less ICE bikes than cars the government has taken pity on the market. This sounds suspiciously sensible Thinking

Therefore, one might be forgiven for hoping BSA cocks it up royally Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:09 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
With this just appearing:

Ban on new petrol and diesel cars in UK from 2030 under PM's green plan

And for purely selfish reasons I dug out this earlier article:

Government confirms motorbikes not included in 2035 petrol ban

tl;dr The government was going with 2040 then 2035 in the summer and now considering 2030... for cars and light vans. Apparently 'cos electric motorcycles are a bit crap and there being a lot less ICE bikes than cars the government has taken pity on the market. This sounds suspiciously sensible Thinking

Therefore, one might be forgiven for hoping BSA cocks it up royally Very Happy

And why would Shell and the like supply petrol for just motorbikes. Maybe diesel will last longer as diesel plant will still be operating for lorries, agriculture and shipping so perhaps someone could develop a light diesel bike.

2030 is nine years away. I just cannot see it working without huge investment but we shall see. I'll be stocking up on diesel for my boats before then just in case. It will be good practice for when the zombie apocalypse happens. Rolling Eyes

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
perhaps someone could develop a light diesel bike.

Someone did. The US army with the KLR650.

Polarbear wrote:
It will be good practice for when the zombie apocalypse happens. Rolling Eyes

It's already upon us. Have you been to Chatham lately?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

And why would Shell and the like supply petrol for just motorbikes. Maybe diesel will last longer as diesel plant will still be operating for lorries, agriculture and shipping so perhaps someone could develop a light diesel bike.

2030 is nine years away. I just cannot see it working without huge investment but we shall see. I'll be stocking up on diesel for my boats before then just in case. It will be good practice for when the zombie apocalypse happens. Rolling Eyes

There will still be a need to petrol and diesel a long way into the future after 2030, especially as (certain) hybrid cars are still being allowed, not to mention the millions of 2nd hand cars and classic cars etc

I then suspect that if/when hydrid cars are banned, then the ICE bikes will also be included with a push for all electric

I guess the thought process is that hybrid bikes will never be a thing, so they will miss the 2030 ban

Plus the fact that everyone knows it aint gonna happen, untill someone work out how charge a street full of cars on a terraced street without having chaging cables tripping up every pedestian, the move to full electric will be logistical nightmare

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without going all conspiracy I suspect the Lockdowns are trial runs for making most of the population dramatically reduce journeys beyond work or supermarket and back.
So you are being directed think it's not worth spending £50k on an electric car when you won't even be able to go anywhere.

Petrol may well be largely phased out quite quickly but I struggle to see how diesel for tractors trucks and plant like diggers won't be available.
Has to be said electric bikes are already looking like a reasonable option for most of us - if the price comes down - and you have a way to charge at home off street.

The question mark is how those batteries perform when they are getting on for ten years old, and how costly they are to replace assuming it's even possible.

Boris announcement about £4bn to make fossil cars go away by 2030 is a joke when they are spending 100bn on the new train line to go between two shitholes 10 minutes faster than you can now.

Last edited by doggone on 10:53 - 18 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

The question mark is how those batteries perform when they are getting on for ten years old, and how costly they are to replace assuming it's even possible.

And the question mark of how well batteries hold up in a crash

I've seen enough Robot Wars to know that i don't want to be anywhere near a Li Ion battery if it gets punctured

Not so much of a problem on a bike, unless you are trapped under it, more so in a car though if you can't get out, at least most modern ICE cars have fuel cut offs in the event of an accident
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3