Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BSA Back?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Without going all conspiracy I suspect the Lockdowns are trial runs for making most of the population dramatically reduce journeys beyond work or supermarket and back.
So you are being directed think it's not worth spending £50k on an electric car when you won't even be able to go anywhere.

I think that's it, exactly. There won't be streets lined with electric cables and plug-in chargers, because private car ownership will be very rare.

Quote:
Has to be said electric bikes are already looking like a reasonable option for most of us - if the price comes down - and you have a way to charge at home off street.

I don't see how bike rallies will survive. The days of taking a minimally planned camping trip to Wales will be over. A trip around Europe will have to be organised with military precision. Trips like the North Coast 500 will be far less liberating because they will also need careful planning. Electric bikes will get you to work and back, quickly. Christmas has come, and we're the turkeys. Hooray for the future.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
And why would Shell and the like supply petrol for just motorbikes.

With all due respect that's a woman's answer: take one problem and make it much worse by adding a non sequitur Wink Besides, there are still "petrol stations" selling paraffin, what's that about?! Very Happy

Still reckon eco-bikes should run on bio-ethanol though (over bio-diesel.)

rpsmith79 wrote:
Plus the fact that everyone knows it aint gonna happen, untill someone work out how charge a street full of cars on a terraced street without having chaging cables tripping up every pedestian, the move to full electric will be logistical nightmare

Electric cars sound all well and good from an urban standpoint but you get out in the sticks and driveways could be 500 yards from the house or more. Upgrade lamp posts? What are lamp posts?! etc. Which means rural areas get left behind in the same way as broadband and mobile coverage - not economically viable due to low population density.

rpsmith79 wrote:
And the question mark of how well batteries hold up in a crash

I was thinking on similar lines: I literally know a bike stored in a shed for 30 years will start. Clean the jets etc. and you might be lucky and get 100% of the performance you had before it was stored. Time is not so kind to batteries.

It's the whole "eggs in one basket" that concerns me. The only practical solutions we have are petrol/diesel ICE, electric or a hybrid of the two. There's no diversification into bio-fuels, hydrogen, methane, ammonia, fuel-cells... lots of stuff not getting a look-in Sad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The population will all have cripple carts to go to the shops on. It will be just about the only thing people will be able to afford. Rolling Eyes

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/09/19/article-1313337-0B1B208D000005DC-721_468x286.jpg

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
And why would Shell and the like supply petrol for just motorbikes.

With all due respect that's a woman's answer: take one problem and make it much worse by adding a non sequitur Wink Besides, there are still "petrol stations" selling paraffin, what's that about?! Very Happy

No it isn't a womans answer. The logistics of getting crude oil, refining it, transporting it and selling as petrol will not be viable once the car market closes. Paraffin is basically jet fuel so it's still made and it's transported to garages in gallon sized containers. It also doesn't 'go off' like petrol.

I agree with others here. The government have seen that a lot of people don't need to go to work with covid so will try to keep private journeys down.

What will they tax to make up for fuel tax though? Electricity? No wonder they are pushing smart meters.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

I don't see how bike rallies will survive. The days of taking a minimally planned camping trip to Wales will be over. A trip around Europe will have to be organised with military precision. Trips like the North Coast 500 will be far less liberating because they will also need careful planning. Electric bikes will get you to work and back, quickly. Christmas has come, and we're the turkeys. Hooray for the future.

Just watch Long Way Up and you see how much of a joke bike tours will become. Only about 80 miles per stretch and then you've got to wait hours for it to recharge and if your stuck somewhere without a decent electricity supply then your buggered. At one point they had to have a generator transported to them so they could charge the bikes and then in another bit they took the ferry to skip a large portion because there was no charging points Laughing

I still dont see how people who live in terraced houses will be able to charge their cars. I can rarely even park near my house. Then you have the price of electric cars being far above budget cars offered today, so we are all going to be out of pocket when it comes to upgrading.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Then you have the price of electric cars being far above budget cars offered today, so we are all going to be out of pocket when it comes to upgrading.

Unless prices drop drastically I don't see a huge number buying them. There isn't much of a second hand market and until electric cars become mainstream there won't be so it will be PCP or nothing for the majority.

Personally I'll give up driving. I'll be 73 then. If I'm still around that looks a decent time to give up bikes and cars. I probably won't be able to afford it anyway by then. God knows what insurance and road taxes will cost on top of vehicle costs.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Unless prices drop drastically I don't see a huge number buying them. There isn't much of a second hand market and until electric cars become mainstream there won't be so it will be PCP or nothing for the majority.

You can pick up a used Zoe for about £6k. I considered before I bought the diseasal Mini. What put me off is I live rural and sometimes you see a realistic advert like this and realise the battery range is actually shit. Fine for a city dweller though. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-Zoe-22kWh-Dynamique-Nav-2015-AUTOMATIC-full-electric-battery-lease/224214985997?hash=item3434412d0d:g:eV0AAOSwey1fm~Gh

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd how so many billionaire Indian/Pakistani there are bringing back companies, sending people to space, buying large major companies in the UK and yet we are still sending them aide money and over 80% are still shitting in a field because they haven't got the basics of a toilet and running water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
No it isn't a womans answer...

Oh yes it is! Now we're getting into panto Very Happy

The government are legislating a ban on sales of new petrol/diesel cars and vans. The potential lifetime of any ICE could be north of 50 years. Shell, BP, Esso etc. aren't going to go "right, lads, that's us done!" and pack up shop overnight!

Skudd wrote:
It's odd how so many billionaire Indian/Pakistani there are bringing back companies, sending people to space, buying large major companies in the UK and yet we are still sending them aide money and over 80% are still shitting in a field because they haven't got the basics of a toilet and running water.

Quite easy to forget that India are behind us on the curve of history. French Revolution 1789, Russian Revolution 1917, the disparity can reach a breaking point. They are already how shall we say... overly enthusiastic when it comes to elections Shocked

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
The potential lifetime of any ICE could be north of 50 years. Shell, BP, Esso etc. aren't going to go "right, lads, that's us done!" and pack up shop overnight!

The tipping point of it being commercially viable to retail petrol as we know it now though will be lower than you think. Already the logistics of refinery - point of sale are tight and the profit margins at point of sale are pretty shit, hence the increasing size of forecourt shops to generate more revenue. As an illustration last time I dealt with buying Diesel in bulk (a tanker a week) I was happy to get it at 89p a litre back then I think at a Supermarket pump it was around 115p a litre. Not the gold mine people think it is when you need to cover the costs of the retail operation. Prices are also based on volumes so as volume drops the retailers margins will too on the reduced volume they sell.

The oil companies don't care about retail in the UK, it's mostly farmed out anyway. If sales take a nosedive here they will just divert the tankers to the US, Russia, China, etc. Big oil won't suffer we are a tiny soon to be Banana Republic of an Island, if you are selling oil globally having to divert our consumption elsewhere is irrelevant.

I'd bet at the point about 1/3rd at most go electric you'll see a massive loss of petrol stations. That 1/3rd won't take long to happen, most new or even 2nd hand (at least 1st time its sold used) are now on some form of PCP deal. These types of buyers will be easily moved quite quickly to electric. The first wave PCP new, then 4 years later the 2nd wave get those cars. Once the petrol stations start to thin out that will motivate more people to make the switch and that will continue as a cycle. If the one in my town closed and then the independent the next town over, I'll find myself doing a 20+ mile round trip to get fuel. Wouldn't take me long to buy a Zoe under those circumstances.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
The potential lifetime of any ICE could be north of 50 years. Shell, BP, Esso etc. aren't going to go "right, lads, that's us done!" and pack up shop overnight!

The tipping point of it being commercially viable to retail petrol as we know it now though will be lower than you think. Already the logistics of refinery - point of sale are tight and the profit margins at point of sale are pretty shit, hence the increasing size of forecourt shops to generate more revenue. As an illustration last time I dealt with buying Diesel in bulk (a tanker a week) I was happy to get it at 89p a litre back then I think at a Supermarket pump it was around 115p a litre. Not the gold mine people think it is when you need to cover the costs of the retail operation. Prices are also based on volumes so as volume drops the retailers margins will too on the reduced volume they sell.

The oil companies don't care about retail in the UK, it's mostly farmed out anyway. If sales take a nosedive here they will just divert the tankers to the US, Russia, China, etc. Big oil won't suffer we are a tiny soon to be Banana Republic of an Island, if you are selling oil globally having to divert our consumption elsewhere is irrelevant.

I'd bet at the point about 1/3rd at most go electric you'll see a massive loss of petrol stations. That 1/3rd won't take long to happen, most new or even 2nd hand (at least 1st time its sold used) are now on some form of PCP deal. These types of buyers will be easily moved quite quickly to electric. The first wave PCP new, then 4 years later the 2nd wave get those cars. Once the petrol stations start to thin out that will motivate more people to make the switch and that will continue as a cycle. If the one in my town closed and then the independent the next town over, I'll find myself doing a 20+ mile round trip to get fuel. Wouldn't take me long to buy a Zoe under those circumstances.

if you are selling oil globally having to divert our consumption elsewhere is irrelevant.

Exactly

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:16 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of tinfoil hattery is this thread is amusing. Also assuming that electric cars won't take off because a few small problems that can be easily worked around.

Tripping over cables in the street? cable covers. Can't charge at home? Charge at the supermarket. Crash performance is also considered for electric cars, surprisingly enough they still get crash tested and no-one wants to make another Ford Pinto.

Petrol stations will still exist for years, but over time there will be less of them selling petrol - or fewer pumps and more chargers. I would expect the price of petrol to go up as it becomes a niche product as well.

Tax - somehow it will happen. Smart meters are one way, road charging is another.

The biggest logistical issue is the national grid. To do a full charge on an electric car will use as much electricity in 12 hours as I usually use in 4 days. Electric cars could also be used for load balancing and battery storage, with some kind of deal for consumers where it will be charged up by morning regardless.

There isn't currently enough grid capacity to shunt that much electricity to people's homes, so that's one infrastructure problem which is reasonably easy if expensive to fix - more wires and management.
The grid also likes to work one-way. Generator > distribution > consumer. The distribution bit would need to massively change to use vehicles as grid storage.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:30 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
What they should do is design a basic motorbike that is desirable to the motorcycling public and competative with their rivals in both price and performance. They could incorporate new technology and features that were painfully missing from their previous models.

They could take out finance so they can make it on a state of the art production line with computerised just-in-time stock control.

Then in enimitable British fashion, someone could fuck with the prototype so the motor wont fit into the frame without partially dismantling it and instead of checking with anyone, just set the production line going.

They could call it the "Fury".

For those lucky enough to be too young to remember this is a humerous dig at the goings on during the end days of BSA/ Triumph
back in the early seventies. B/T had developed a DOHC twin the fury/ bandit which they had hoped to get into production in time to save the company(s). Almost as if Boris Johnson was running the company it all fell apart and they went bust , I hadn't heard the story of the design changes ( there were plenty) that meant the engine didn't fit in the frame any more, but I can well believe it.

For anyone who is interested "Whatever happened to the british motorcycle indistry" by Bert Hopwood is a great read. I'm surprised they lasted so long....

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I've seen enough Robot Wars to know that i don't want to be anywhere near a Li Ion battery if it gets punctured

I've seen a few petrol bikes engulfed in a ball of flames as they slide down the road too. Not sure which is the lesser of two evils.

With the whole point about phasing out petrol in years to come while diesel production will still be necessary for agriculture, heavy vehicles and boats etc... As I understand it x amount of petrol and x amount of diesel is always produced as part of the crude oil refinement process. I can't see there ever coming a time when diesel is still being produced but not petrol. What they gonna do with the petrol? Throw it down the drain? Supply and demand will dictate that if petrol vehicles are banned, petrol would still be available for sale but at a fraction of the price. Good news for classic car owners perhaps? Unless of course the government ban the sale of petrol along with the ban on sale of petrol vehicles. Again which brings me back to the point of what are they going to do with all the surplus petrol that's produced as part of the diesel-making process? Pour it down the drain? Probably sell it on to developing countries and then blame them for polluting the world...

Ayrton wrote:
Just watch Long Way Up and you see how much of a joke bike tours will become. Only about 80 miles per stretch and then you've got to wait hours for it to recharge and if your stuck somewhere without a decent electricity supply then your buggered. At one point they had to have a generator transported to them so they could charge the bikes and then in another bit they took the ferry to skip a large portion because there was no charging points Laughing

SPOLIER ALERT!!!

Hadn't got round to watching this yet, damn you! Middle Finger Middle Finger

wr6133 wrote:

That's a good point but all will happen is maybe a small percentage of forecourts will go out of business and the remainder will increase their margin to account for the fall in volume.

Skudd wrote:

Skudd for PM!!! Clapping Clapping Clapping

Easy-X wrote:
Shell, BP, Esso etc. aren't going to go "right, lads, that's us done!" and pack up shop overnight!

True, but they may invest in other forms of energy... Or other industries altogether. They will have to diversify in order to survive. The list of multinational companies that have done this over the years as demand on a particular service or product has declined is endless.

Robby wrote:
The amount of tinfoil hattery is this thread is amusing.

LOL Dance! Clapping

Robby wrote:
Petrol stations will still exist for years, but over time there will be less of them selling petrol - or fewer pumps and more chargers. I would expect the price of petrol to go up as it becomes a niche product as well.

That's a good point!

Last edited by DUCAUDI on 01:59 - 19 Nov 2020; edited 1 time in total

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:21 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments.

So in summary we have a decade left (to 2030) of relatively normal ICE motorcyling (with new petrol machines manufactured and sold during this period) and potentially another decade (to 2040) of ICE motorcying on what will be 'legacy' petrol machines - as the production of new ICE motorcycles and cars will have ended and the petrol infrastructure we rely on will start to seriously reduce in size and taper off as it is comprehensively replaced by electric power.

After 2040 ICE motorcycles and cars will be the sole preserve of very serious enthusiasts, rich collectors and museums?

Are motorcycles included in the proposed ban on ICE cars for 2030?

I wonder if there will be a market for retro-fitting ICE motorcycles with electric motors as there is now for classic cars?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
Interesting comments.

So in summary we have a decade left (to 2030) of relatively normal ICE motorcyling (with new petrol machines manufactured and sold during this period) and potentially another decade (to 2040) of ICE motorcying on what will be 'legacy' petrol machines - as the production of new ICE motorcycles and cars will have ended and the petrol infrastructure we rely on will start to seriously reduce in size and taper off as it is comprehensively replaced by electric power.

After 2040 ICE motorcycles and cars will be the sole preserve of very serious enthusiasts, rich collectors and museums?

Are motorcycles included in the proposed ban on ICE cars for 2030?

I wonder if there will be a market for retro-fitting ICE motorcycles with electric motors as there is now for classic cars?

According to MAG bikes aren't specifically mentioned but I would wager it's because they forgot they exist as not in their monkeysphere.
In any case the reduced availability of fuel will rapidly make using them unrealistic since range is mostly less than cars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

According to MAG bikes aren't specifically mentioned but I would wager it's because they forgot they exist as not in their monkeysphere.
In any case the reduced availability of fuel will rapidly make using them unrealistic since range is mostly less than cars.

Yes, I think you are right on both counts.

With any luck we will have another decade left of relatively normal biking before things noticeably start changing.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

No.

Sale of new ICE cars stop in 2030 (and probably hybrids in 2035 or 2040) existing cars can carry on until specific legislation bars their use on public highways. A typical family car you could rinse 20 years out of easily and 40 wouldn't be outlandish if you can get the parts so nothing is really going to change with regards to petrol sales, forecourts etc. for decades after the ban.

So far for motorcycles there is nothing happening. The only tangible issue you might have is fishing about for petrol in say.... 2060 Shocked TBH I think they'll wake up after the car ban and just push bikes back to 2040. Again, 20 years plus out of a new ICE is no big ask.

I would imagine the historic vehicle system will remain unchanged so it's possible in... oh I dunno, the 22nd Century (yes, seriously) you'd probably need to get petrol specially couriered to you via Amazon drone to keep your museum piece going Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sneaking suspicion that this is part of a global agenda and that practicalities, logic and what people want won't play a part in the way things pan out from here. A big clue is the fact that Johnson made an announcement about 2030 - a time when he definitely won't be around. It's a safe bet that whatever political party replaces him will not repeal or revoke any policy or regulatory instruments that carry this agenda along.

The point has been made about petrol availability. It isn't just about petrol availability. Yes, fractional distillation produces petrol as a byproduct. However, there is no good reason to believe that practicality and logic will continue to make petrol wend its way over here to the pumps. Of course, it might do, but that's just a statement of optimism, based on a belief that "things have always been this way." I do get it. For all my life, and all of yours, it's always been that way. However, things change.

Petrol does the job extremely well. You can transport it anywhere and sell it. People will come along and buy it. It solves a lot of problems. But abstracted and remotely imposed ideologies, such as this watermelon (green on the outside, red on the inside - couldn't resist hehehe) revolution seems to have tumult built into it as either a necessary evil or a means to an end.

Other than petrol availability, there are other considerations:
1) Ministry of transport reducing lane availability to ICE vehicles on main roads and motorways, or even forbidding them from certain roads altogether.
2) Imposition of number plate-based toll charges by central government and/or local councils in specific areas at specific times or all the time.
3) Yet more taxation being piled onto VED and/or petrol at the pump.

These things could, conceivably, give biking less than 10 years, and possibly even scupper the contingency plans some of us have made. The only thing I'm certain about is that there is huge uncertainty ahead.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:50 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

And the question mark of how well batteries hold up in a crash

I've seen enough Robot Wars to know that i don't want to be anywhere near a Li Ion battery if it gets punctured

Not so much of a problem on a bike, unless you are trapped under it, more so in a car though if you can't get out, at least most modern ICE cars have fuel cut offs in the event of an accident

https://electrek.co/2017/10/18/tesla-model-s-fire-high-speed-crash-video-impressive-operation/

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:05 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting takes on the future Easy-X, Bhud. Very Happy

I see both scenarios as eminently credible - but I would be hard pressed at the moment to decide which outcome is more likely - such is the state of political, economic and global flux at the moment.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:10 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Government and councils are trying to curb private vehicle journeys without spending a huge amount on public transport.

The ideal in big towns and cities would be an automatic tram network that is free but that's never going to happen so we have a push for bikes, electric scooters and the like. Commuting in the future? It's going to be the train. When I commuted into London from 2013-15 it was costing me £4500 a year. I dread to think what it is now.

I doubt if there is an electric car that could get me to central London and back to MK without needing a charge even now (maybe a Tesla would) and certainly no electric bike could.

Induction highways? Horrendous cost and what's the efficiency of something like that?

Coincidentally I have been asked by the National Association of Boat Owners to write a report on the possibilities of new power sources for boats on the inland waterways. Even though boats are not mentioned in the legislation the expectancy is that councils will use bylaws to prohibit the use of diesel powered boats once diesel cars are gone.

As Bhud said 'The only thing I'm certain about is that there is huge uncertainty ahead.'

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Tripping over cables in the street? cable covers. Can't charge at home? Charge at the supermarket. Crash performance is also considered for electric cars, surprisingly enough they still get crash tested and no-one wants to make another Ford Pinto.

You cant really expect people to park up in the supermarket every day to recharge their cars. Even if you just charge it up once a week while shopping your not going to get a full charge in the 40 minutes your there.

Crash protection is interesting. I dont doubt its pretty safe, but I did see a Rich Rebuilds video where he talked about a Tesla's battery catching fire repeatedly weeks after and accident because of the damaged cells.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:20 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
As Bhud said 'The only thing I'm certain about is that there is huge uncertainty ahead.'

Roger to that . . .

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:24 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:

You cant really expect people to park up in the supermarket every day to recharge their cars. Even if you just charge it up once a week while shopping your not going to get a full charge in the 40 minutes your there.

Consider this is happening after another 10 years of R&D on battery technology, vehicle efficiency, and charging technology/infrastructure.

Charging once a week is going to be the reality for an awful lot of people. Average car usage is ~250 miles a week, which is the range for the current model entry level Tesla. In a decade standard range on a standard electric car will be there or (likely) a lot more.

Charging in 40 minutes is possible on the current crop of fast chargers. That will also improve. The challenge is getting the huge amounts of electricity to the charger.

Also remember this is only for the people who don't have a driveway or means of charging at home.

In a decade, owning an electric car will be little different to owning a petrol car now. Filling it up might be slower, but that is offset by being able to fill it up at home.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3