Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR125 RW6 All power gone

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:22 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: CBR125 RW6 All power gone Reply with quote

Afternoon, in a bit of a panic tonight. Will a unplugged clutch switch (image attached) could potentially disturb the electrics and cause it to not start, no lights, no horn, no nothing?

Just a note the bike started, suddenly the rev reader shut itself down and bike died. The main fuse (30 AMP) was melted, replaced that, all other 10AMP fuses were all replaced (not damaged but still replaced) no improvements on that.

Also got left indicator off but it did start before so idk if thats the issue.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:41 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30 amp fuse blew? That's direct from the starter/solenoid to earth level of power. Anything else would have blown a smaller fuse before that.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:31 - 17 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The 30 amp fuse blew? That's direct from the starter/solenoid to earth level of power. Anything else would have blown a smaller fuse before that.

All little fuses were replaced before I replaced main one, none of them look burned? Does starter/solenoid to earth power could have been effected by water getting into them?, where abouts are them so I could potentially clean out the ports?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:21 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically the solenoid is right by the big fuse and battery. It has the two big wires on it.

The only way I can see this fuse blowing is if that supply is earthed with no load (shorted out) because everything else should be protected by a lesser fuse which would have blown before the 30 amp one.

The only experience of that fuse blowing was when a cackhanded thief failed to hot wire my bike and for some reason known only to them decided to attack the wiring by the battery.

I cant see water being a problem. The reason why 12v is used is because it tends to be pretty safe in water and bikes are designed to work when wet.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: CBR125 RW6 All power gone Reply with quote

definetlynotwasiul wrote:
Will an unplugged clutch switch disturb the electrics and cause it to not start, no lights, no horn, no nothing.

Stop there and tell us why you had unplugged the clutch switch. I sense a wider tale of electrical bodgery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 18 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 30A fuse does three things.

1. Carries charging current from the regulator/rectifier
2. Provides power to the bike via the main relay and then the three other fuses.
3. Provides power to the ignition switch to activate the main relay and ignition control unit.

If it's blown (and melted) then it's either had too much current through it or it's had corroded terminals causing it to heat up from a poor connection.

If none of the three smaller fuses are blown then the fault is not after them. That means it's somewhere between the 30a fuse and ignition control unit/main relay via the ignition switch, or between the fuse and the main relay supply feed, or between the fuse and the regulator/rectifier.

You've changed the fuse and nothing is working? So either it's a wiring fault and you're open circuit/blown relay or there's no power from the battery.
If it's no power from the battery, is it boiled dry? If it is, suspect the regulator/rectifier which would be the first place I'd look.
If there IS power from the battery, there should be power to the fuse, and therefore the switch.

I would start by getting a multimeter and checking the battery power then tracing it along from battery to 30a fuse to relay. If you don't have a meter then start by unplugging stuff. Ignition switch, main relay, regulator/rectifier. Odds-on that one of the plugs is melted/welded together.

Wiring diagram in this thread

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 19 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 30 amp fuse blown or is the plastic body of it just melted? Melted and blown are caused by two different problems Melted plastic is from a bad contact between the terminals of the fuse and the terminals in the fuse box. A bad contact causes high resistance and that causes heat which melts the plastic but doesn't blow the fuse because the current is still low. A blown fuse is from a short between 12V and ground causing too high current.

If it's blown and you've got a short you could trace it with a multimeter on ohms. Disconnect the battery positive, put a new fuse in, turn the key on, and kill switch on, measure resistance between the disconnected battery positive wire and ground. If there's a short it will show up as a low resistance on the meter. Then work backwards to try to find the short. You could turn the key off. Check if the short is still there or goes. Now you know which side of the ignition the short is on. Unplug things one at a time that are on main power wires, check if the short goes after unplugging them.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:46 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

The only way I can see this fuse blowing is if that supply is earthed with no load (shorted out) because everything else should be protected by a lesser fuse which would have blown before the 30 amp one.

The first fuse from left side was blown, It's called F1 I believe, the 10AMP one, that was gone.

definetlynotw...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:47 - 20 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: CBR125 RW6 All power gone Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
definetlynotwasiul wrote:
Will an unplugged clutch switch disturb the electrics and cause it to not start, no lights, no horn, no nothing.

Stop there and tell us why you had unplugged the clutch switch. I sense a wider tale of electrical bodgery.

I had a accident and the clutch lever was gone including the mirror holder, I had to replace everything and the connection between the clutch switch from old part is not same as new so I need to play with it, I don't think thats the issue tho as apparently I wouldn't be able to start it rather than have no electrics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 129 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1