Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Custom Projector?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 22 Nov 2020    Post subject: Custom Projector? Reply with quote

So, I'm looking for something like this

https://www.galaxyprojector.co.uk/

But I want a custom one that I can load specific constellations (dates, times, locations) into it with, maybe via SD or USB.

Needs to be ideally battery powered, or if it can be powered by USB then I'll get a battery pack.

Anyone know of one, or how to do one?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:13 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That galaxy projector is just a fancy disco light
it wont project the Pliades or constellations on to yer bedroom wall
just pretty spots
Oddly enough Argos offered one for a tenner which make an attempt
at stuff albeit cheaply, you'd see in a planetarium
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7159411

I reckon it would be cool to see the constellations/planets/moon sweep across the ceiling in real time on a dark and stormy night as if you had
a glass ceiling on a clear night in the Atacama desert
but reckon you'd have to shell out serious dosh to get something
approaching realistic

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any specific projector implementation for constellations.

The best whole room projector implementation I've seen is at L'Atelier des Lumieres in Paris. It's very good, and it's implemented using loads and loads of consumer 1080p projectors (e.g. BenQ W1110) tiling the walls and ceiling, with a whole load of videos rendered by bespoke software such that as something moves off one projector it shows up on the next projector tile, seamlessly.

You couldn't run a single projector like that off a battery, never mind several, though I could see a fish-eye lens making a single projector sort of work at the cost of (very) low resolution around the outer edge. Anything displayed would need to be calibrated to the lens.

When I want to figure out what a constellation in the sky is, I use Google Sky Map. It uses the accelerometer in your phone to figure out where the phone is pointed at in the sky, and shows the stars and constellations that are expected to be seen in that direction. It's easy to make out the correspondence and see the names, identify planets, etc.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm thinking is more along the lines of where you can buy an image/sky map of particular date and location (cheesy example which is used in one of the site - the day of a sprog being born), but instead of framing it, to have a 'slide' of sorts that you can project - and could change or add more to.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1