old but new

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: old but new Reply with quote

a new member here saying hi.

have been browsing the forum for a few weeks and thought id just as well join. it is free after all Laughing

been away from bikes since 98 but am getting the urge once again.
i might even progress beyond youtube videos and go and look at a few bikes when the weather warms up!

bit of a short arse in the flesh, so limited in my options a bit by my height as well as my budget.

at least the insurance will be cheap at my age. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:00 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the asylum.
If you have been poking around for awhile, you probably know what to expect. Good luck in your search.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy your stay, but remember normal rules no longer apply on BCF...

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How short is short? I'm 5ft 6 on a good day and have very short legs - so I may well be in the same magnitude of shortness!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:48 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
How short is short? I'm 5ft 6 on a good day and have very short legs - so I may well be in the same magnitude of shortness!

I'm even shorter but this makes all the difference, I can just about flat-foot a CBR600RR anyway Smile Having a bike north of 200kg is where I'd struggle.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

about the same as you.
i walked up to a parked mt10 recently and the seat was above my belly button Sad

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

i walked up to a parked mt10 recently and the seat was above my belly button Sad

Cuban heels?

In the early 80s I had a pair like this (in brown) - I imagined they were the kind of footwear Jack Regan would wear..

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dosAAOSwg0hbVtiy/s-l400.jpg

They may have come from Freeman Hardy Willis

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:32 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
MarJay wrote:

about the same as you.

Just choose a bike based on the seat height... I have a GSX-S1000F which is basically Suzuki's equivalent of an MT10 and it's great. It's easier to handle than a lot of bikes I've previously owned.

We're lucky as we're still inside the range at which it's possible to buy suitable bikes.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 26 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the advice, high heels aren't really my thing, ill leave that to the wench. a pair of dr martens makes me go giddy Laughing

an sv1000 has come up locally which im tempted to go look at. its probably best to wait and see how the scamdemic pans out before i lead myself into temptation though.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sportster is very low slung, the profile under a rain cover is no bigger than a moped.

But I guess you have to be a certain kind of person to want to ride one, so possibly its out of your tolerance radius Laughing

Suits me, though, and I'm the same height with fat little legs.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: old but new Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Wow, so how old are you now; then? Shocked
to v or not to v wrote:
bit of a short arse in the flesh, so limited in my options a bit by my height

You might want to have a look at last month's edition of Ride magazine (the January 2001 issue, I think?). It carried an article interviewing short riders on how they've got round their problems.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:42 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
an sv1000 has come up locally which im tempted to go look at. its probably best to wait and see how the scamdemic pans out before i lead myself into temptation though.

Im5"7 on a good day and ride an SV1000s. I generally end up with one foot on the ground one on a peg when stationary but can do balls of feet at a stop easy enough. The bike is pretty light and well balanced so not an issue. The naked version will be the same seating wise but you wont have the lean forward which will help, if that's what you're considering.

Funnily enough I'm considering selling my bike if you're after an S version and in the SE of England/London area.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
My sportster is very low slung, the profile under a rain cover is no bigger than a moped.

Junior had a sportster for a few years. Nice engine and cool multifunction odometer, but it only had 1.75 inches of rear suspension travel. On that bike I felt every bump and road imperfection right up my spine. If you are 5'7" now, after a year on that thing you'll be 5'6". Confused

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: old but new Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Wow, so how old are you now; then? Shocked
to v or not to v wrote:
bit of a short arse in the flesh, so limited in my options a bit by my height

You might want to have a look at last month's edition of Ride magazine (the January 2001 issue, I think?). It carried an article interviewing short riders on how they've got round their problems.

im 49 now... i remember buying ride magazine when it first came out. it quickly became my favourite and i took out an annual subscription to get a deal on a teng tools socket set which im still using today.

these days i just use youtube for imformation.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Im5"7 on a good day and ride an SV1000s. I generally end up with one foot on the ground one on a peg when stationary but can do balls of feet at a stop easy enough. The bike is pretty light and well balanced so not an issue. The naked version will be the same seating wise but you wont have the lean forward which will help, if that's what you're considering.

Funnily enough I'm considering selling my bike if you're after an S version and in the SE of England/London area.

thanks for the heads up. i do like big twins. i doubt ill be looking seriously at anything before winters end.

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:56 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the retro stuff seem to have very reasonable seat heights, if they're a consideration.
I've ridden most of what ever they call the Triumph Retro range and they all (to me at 5'10) have very low seats.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:
All the retro stuff seem to have very reasonable seat heights, if they're a consideration.
I've ridden most of what ever they call the Triumph Retro range and they all (to me at 5'10) have very low seats.

i really like the royal enfield intercepter. just a bit pricey for my budget unfortunately.

i love the look of their classic 500 too. i dont think i could stand all the cleaning to keep one looking shiny though.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what bints are for.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:59 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

But I guess you have to be a certain kind of person to want to ride one, so possibly its out of your tolerance radius Laughing

Suits me, though, and I'm the same height with fat little legs.

But what legs they are !!!!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

i love the look of their classic 500 too. i dont think i could stand all the cleaning to keep one looking shiny though.

Surprisingly little, though if that's too much they do a blacked out one. Main question on the singles is if you can live with the speed (or lack of).

Some Interceptors are coming up private sale at good prices, most on eBay right now are the 1st round PCP hand backs and dealers are asking high prices because they want round 2 on finance.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

i really like the royal enfield intercepter. just a bit pricey for my budget unfortunately.

I only hear good things about the Interceptor. RE singles however I personally would avoid, ownership appears to be 'challenging'.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

Surprisingly little, though if that's too much they do a blacked out one. Main question on the singles is if you can live with the speed (or lack of).

Some Interceptors are coming up private sale at good prices, most on eBay right now are the 1st round PCP hand backs and dealers are asking high prices because they want round 2 on finance.

yes the lack of power is off putting. maybe they will come out with a new 650 version at some point? i think it could be a hit like the new 650'S were. heres hoping

i like the himalaya too, but again its just too slow for modern roads.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
to v or not to v wrote:

I only hear good things about the Interceptor. RE singles however I personally would avoid, ownership appears to be 'challenging'.

isnt the "challenge" all part of the fun? Laughing
i think as a second bike for bimbling around on sunny days the 500 would be great. not as a main ride though.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
RE singles however I personally would avoid, ownership appears to be 'challenging'.

Older (pre 2008) pre unit ones, are basically 1950's bikes so require the level of fettling some bloke that bought an original would have had to do back in the day. Post 2008 Unit Construction EFI bikes not so much. My 535 has had some issues but nothing anyone that can use a multimeter couldn't sort. I often wonder how many "issues" on them are crap PDI by dealers. My 535 had 200 odd miles on it when I bought it from some old bloke that didn't even own a spanner so definitely hadn't fiddled with anything, the rear shocks were at opposing ends of preload! Certain bits that would be bolted on after un-crating were also not very bolted on Laughing

to v or not to v wrote:

yes the lack of power is off putting. maybe they will come out with a new 650 version at some point? i think it could be a hit like the new 650'S were. heres hoping

The 500 UCE engine has gone out of production those in dealers now are the last. Indian domestic market still has a UCE 350 in the classic frame. They do claim there are going to be many new models, I suspect all will use the 650 twin or the modern 350 as seen in the Meteor. I'd be surprised to see a reborn Bullet with the 650 twin though, I would have thought all it would do is split the Interceptor market and probably not tempt the people that bought the 500 originally. 47BHP bullet could be amusing though.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: old but new Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
bit of a short arse in the flesh, so limited in my options a bit by my height as well as my budget.

CMX500 Rebel?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2