Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glasses and Full Face Helmets.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Glasses and Full Face Helmets. Reply with quote

I've just upgraded from an open face lid to a flip front for the winter. Now getting glasses on with an open face is bad enough, but a painful nightmare on a full face and sooner or later I'll probably break one of the arms.

I am just about legal without glasses, but I'd rather wear them. Anyone know where I can get a pair of prescription specs that are made with bikers in mind?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to slightly modify the helmet padding to make it easier, how about alternative glasses with thinner arms.
Contacts out of the question?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:24 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You might be able to slightly modify the helmet padding to make it easier, how about alternative glasses with thinner arms.
Contacts out of the question?

Contacts are definitely out of the question. Any tips on how to modify the padding without ruining it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 13 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all vary but you can often at least get cheek pads out often held in with poppers or velcro.
The actual padding is like polystyrene it might compress a few mm with a bit of gentle force.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm slightly surprised you didn't figure this out before you bought, it's the first thing I check when I try a new lid - doesn't matter how much I love the way it fits, what it looks like or how much it costs, if I can't comfortably put on and wear my glasses, I don't buy it.

What you need is a bit of a slot going across your temples to the top of the ears.

If you have a removable lining, then take it out and use something like a needle file to put a groove into the polystyrene, not too deep, just enough.

Or, if you've only just bought it, go back and change it for something else, quite a few manufacturers include spectacle slots into their designs.

Or, get different frames that will work better.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, You're right, you can break your glasses. Done that, always carry a spare pair now, as I'm full on Mr Magoo without them. It seems that with my head shape, Arai lids and glasses do not mix even with the tiny frames that I wear, but HJC work well for me (current main lid is an IS-17). You need to check this before you buy, which may be tricky in the current climate. Use your old lid again if it's usable until you get a new lid.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get new glasses I take my lid in to see if they fit and I can put them on with my lid on. The arms to my glasses are very bendy.

Fogging is my main issue. Have never found a satisfactory method to stop fogging.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1with skudd, mine have very straight arms and slide in fine.

ZebraDriver
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:42 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine used to cut the arms of his glasses in half to use them with a FF helmet. Does mean that you need two pairs though

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
+1with skudd, mine have very straight arms and slide in fine.

+2 - very straight, flat arms which are right up against the side of my head. No probs at all

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:09 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.championhelmets.com/en/blogs/motorhelmen-en-kleding-wereld/best-glasses-friendly-motorcycle-helmets-2020-guid/

When I was trying helmets I’m sure the chap at the shop said quite a few are designed with a narrow furrow in the lining where the arms of your glasses go?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
When I get new glasses I take my lid in to see if they fit and I can put them on with my lid on. The arms to my glasses are very bendy.

Fogging is my main issue. Have never found a satisfactory method to stop fogging.

yup, this.

helmet goes with me when buying glasses, glasses come in different widths depending on the style which can affect things, however across HJC and Shark I've never had an issue with my glasses fitting or being broken in 7 years.

I have had one or two pairs of glasses I decided against though.

My latest shark (D-Skwal I think) advertises itself as being glasses friendly.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite helmet is an HJC CL max that was advertised as having a glasses groove. It's utterly brilliant and I get very little pressure on my temples wearing glasses.

That doesn't help you I know, but what were you thinking of, not trying with glasses before you bought.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:00 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

That doesn't help you I know, but what were you thinking of, not trying with glasses before you bought.

Because when I last had a bike (In 2012) I did not wear glasses and the thought that they might be a problem now I do didn't occur to me.

The cheek pieces do pull out, so hopefully I'll be able to modify them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:08 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to go for Oakley frames which have straight arms with no hooks. I also check my lid before I buy one, my Shoei GT-Air is really good, as were the HJC's I've had recently.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people are set in their ways or cant have them due to prescription, but contact lenses are the only real answer. Worn glasses all my life, but I only wear contacts when I ride, I hate the feeling of glasses on in a lid, feels like I lose all peripheral vision and the fogging is a pain.

Having a monthly pair of contacts makes it all super easy.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 14 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:

The road ahead is clear........ you need a REDACTED we all know that REDACTED stops fogging.

smokin joe
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:12 - 21 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!!!

Found an old pair of plastic framed reading glasses, dipped the arms in hot water to soften them and straightened the ends so they don't point inwards and they slid straight into the helmet no bother.

A pair of prescription glasses now ordered from Select Specs, cheap enough at £16.95 delivered so I can bend them to shape without worrying about losing a small fortune if they break Smile

Ian193
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:36 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I manage to get my viper flip front helmet on and off with my glasses on

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution to this problem: Photorefractive keratectomy. Best money you’ll ever spend. Thumbs Up

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 24 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Best solution to this problem: Photorefractive keratectomy. Best money you’ll ever spend. Thumbs Up

i have been told that lazer treatment is as likely to be only a temporary improvement as not?

my partners mum paid out quite a bit for it a few years ago with poor results.
the company that did the treatment pretty much just fobbed her off after they had her money.

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:27 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian193 wrote:
I manage to get my viper flip front helmet on and off with my glasses on

I Have a Caberg Flip and the same

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 25 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
I know some people are set in their ways or cant have them due to prescription, but contact lenses are the only real answer. Worn glasses all my life, but I only wear contacts when I ride, I hate the feeling of glasses on in a lid, feels like I lose all peripheral vision and the fogging is a pain.

Having a monthly pair of contacts makes it all super easy.

I find contacts dry out really quickly on the bike, even with the visor shut; I think there's quite a draught still via the vents / neck and it's enough to make it uncomfortable. Put it this way, I tried and turned back home 100 yards down the road. Maybe I should try again? I was using soft daily disposables though if that makes any difference.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need Visionpal.

https://divesightltd.com/collections/prescription-dive-masks/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2af-BRDzARIsAIVQUOdssJQquP3rOnvw9iOkTTpX8v2otam1rl-fjQxAuI7MgC8cNHm3kZgaAtk_EALw_wcB

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Unless this isn't a suitable treatment for an individual, as it isn't for me.

I'm also not a suitable candidate for contacts, so for some of us, specs are the only option.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1