Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Should I get a super sports for the street?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:06 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Should I get a super sports for the street? Reply with quote

Title says it all, looking at an older bike, something like a 2006 CBR 600 RR. The reason is I want something nimble and agile in the corners and I feel like a super sport should be perfect at that. My main concern is that 1) I don't need the crazy high top speed that it has. 2) I might wish I had more low down grunt for city riding?

I have always wanted a high reving inline 4 and I feel like this might be the moment to see whether I actually like it. But is there something that will be just as good at cornering but a bit more "sensible" for street riding?

I keep thinking of the old adage its more fun to ride a slow bike fast... Would a Hornet 600 corner as well as a CBR600RR?

Last edited by CorriganJ on 00:37 - 03 Dec 2020; edited 2 times in total

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:10 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
The Street.

Street Tripple? Another dream bike but I one day want a Tiger 800 so I want to explore different engine types?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, nice bike though it was, the RR was said to have taken a step too far from the street bike concept in pursuit of track success. You might be better off with the slightly better mid-range torque of a 2002 CBR600. Or a ZX6R from the same period. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:52 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
IIRC, nice bike though it was, the RR was said to have taken a step too far from the street bike concept in pursuit of track success. You might be better off with the slightly better mid-range torque of a 2002 CBR600. Or a ZX6R from the same period. Wink

Would the 600RR have sharper handling than the 600 or is it just a matter of engine gearing?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:51 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Would the 600RR have sharper handling than the 600 or is it just a matter of engine gearing?

If you're coming from a Hyosung GT125 I think you're splitting hairs.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get a similar vintage GSXR (bit less focused out the box). Though Kawasaki Jimbo is right you are splitting hairs, any of those bikes are going to be fine, comfy enough unless you have a spazzed back and fast/nimble enough you will run out of skill before the bike runs out of ability.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:55 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'd get a similar vintage GSXR (bit less focused out the box). Though Kawasaki Jimbo is right you are splitting hairs, any of those bikes are going to be fine, comfy enough unless you have a spazzed back and fast/nimble enough you will run out of skill before the bike runs out of ability.

My hope is that the more capable the bike, the more margin of error there is for rider error... Obviiously not going to ride like an idiot on purpous but occasionally we misjudge a corner on unfamiliar roads and when that happens you want to be on a very capable bike is my thinking...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
My hope is that the more capable the bike, the more margin of error there is for rider error... Obviiously not going to ride like an idiot on purpous but occasionally we misjudge a corner on unfamiliar roads and when that happens you want to be on a very capable bike is my thinking...

This is not going to be the case; that extra margin of ultimate bike ability compared with something more "ordinary" won't have any impact on absorbing rider error - it just doesn't work like that, if anything the especially responsive characteristics of a sports bike might make it worse as inexperience will tend to cause overreactions which a sportsbike will react to quickly and potentially get you into even more hot water. In practice, on the roads, it is difficult to run out of bike capability on most big bikes.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it really translates that way. If you fuck it up you fuck it up, the faster sharper bike will just mean you go through the hedge at a greater speed with a few more degrees lean angle. If you want more margin for error you want rider aids but (imo) that takes the fun away. I can't think of a time I've binned it where on review I could say, "if the bike was more capable....".

As I said though it's much of muchness. I promise coming from that 125cc you will notice no big difference on the road between a similar year GSXR, CBR, R6 or Ninja, let alone the ability of said bikes to compensate for serious rider error. The bikes will be vastly more capable than you (or me or probably anyone outside of pro racers). Pick the one you like the looks of and can find a good example in budget.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Define "Street" 'cos if we're talking the streets of London my Rebel would be a better bike than the CBR600RR Wink

Stop-start traffic, lumpy roads, speeds mostly in the 0~40 range? A race-bike is about the worst pick! Supermoto would be the ideal for stupid fun.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I can't think of a time I've binned it where on review I could say, "if the bike was more capable....".

I recall thinking I wish the bike was more capable as it got stood up mid corner from the footpeg gouging its way through the floor Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
recman wrote:
The Street.

Street Tripple? Another dream bike but I one day want a Tiger 800 so I want to explore different engine types?

Put it off all you like, but if you ever finally get around to trying a Striple, you'll kick yourself for not having done it sooner.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor tank / bollocks interface imo

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Dunno. Call me weird, but I sat on the seat of mine Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of corners are your main issue that you need such a focused bike for corners?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Hornet 600 is a first class, first "big" bike. Plenty of get up and go, decent motor response and handling, ergonomics are nice. It'll be more bike than you're capable of hustling around for a few years, unless you're talented on par with BSB/WSB/Moto GP racers. A focused, 90's full on race rep is going to bite hard if you fuck it up, the're not massively forgiving.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
A Hornet 600 is a first class, first "big" bike. Plenty of get up and go, decent motor response and handling, ergonomics are nice. It'll be more bike than you're capable of hustling around for a few years, unless you're talented on par with BSB/WSB/Moto GP racers. A focused, 90's full on race rep is going to bite hard if you fuck it up, the're not massively forgiving.

Actually, you're probably right. Even a Street Triple, as easy as they are to ride, the OP is probably not going to appreciate nor be able to get the best out of as a first big bike. Hornet 600 sounds like a good shout.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Dunno. Call me weird, but I sat on the seat of mine Laughing

or perhaps you haven't got any bollocks Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:14 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Billy Laughing
Or is it Buster? Do you have a wheelbarrow?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:59 - 03 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Ok Billy Laughing

I have two, one to carry each.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:52 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
wr6133 wrote:
I can't think of a time I've binned it where on review I could say, "if the bike was more capable....".

I recall thinking I wish the bike was more capable as it got stood up mid corner from the footpeg gouging its way through the floor Laughing

And reading that I’m thinking if only the rider was more capable he could have positioned his body better and had the same corner speed with less lean angle not having to worry about the bikes capabilities.........which were just fine!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but don't be gay and get a 600, grab a 1 litre and just send it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Ok Billy Laughing

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/man-10-stone-testicles-channel-4-1985525

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Should I get a super sports for the street? Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Title says it all, looking at an older bike, something like a 2006 CBR 600 RR. The reason is I want something nimble and agile in the corners and I feel like a super sport should be perfect at that. My main concern is that 1) I don't need the crazy high top speed that it has. 2) I might wish I had more low down grunt for city riding?

I have always wanted a high reving inline 4 and I feel like this might be the moment to see whether I actually like it. But is there something that will be just as good at cornering but a bit more "sensible" for street riding?

I keep thinking of the old adage its more fun to ride a slow bike fast... Would a Hornet 600 corner as well as a CBR600RR?

Don't ever confuse the bike you want with the bike you need. Both of your concerns are true, you do not need a high speed & you really do need low down grunt for street riding.

I often wonder if any of the proliferate gobshoites on these sad & sorry forums actually rides a bike & most of the answers here confirm my fears.

In the late 70's / early 80's we watched circuit bike racing in our 100's of 1000's & a few of the twats watching wondered why our bikes didn't look like theirs. Why can't we bask in the shared glory of our circuit riding god like hero's & buy a replica bike so that all the other twats might think we just like them next time we pop to the shops???

Buying a plastic fantastic rocketship is a phase that most will have to go through in their riding career. Trying to justify owning one for more than one season is pure fukwittery personified.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2