BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cooking

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Cooking Reply with quote

Are there any chefs or at least serious cooks on here?

I really enjoy cooking. I'm not sure why but maybe it's the fact I can test out my creations on wifie and see if she gets the sh1ts or worse. Laughing

I'm kidding....ish

I have really cheap crappy Argos type pans with one decent Tefal big fry pan, all non stick ally or stainless steel.

So what's the best cooking utensils/pans to get? Non stick, cast iron, copper bottomed? Laughing I gather decent ones that are not non stick you have to treat and not put through the dish washer.

I can go on Amazon and spend a fortune of wifies money (Christmas presents for me) but I really don't know what's best for what. There are conflicting articles all over the net so I 'm after people experience rather than some article that the author has been paid to push one or the other.

I cook on gas BTW.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Are there any chefs or at least serious cooks on here?

I really enjoy cooking. I'm not sure why but maybe it's the fact I can test out my creations on wifie and see if she gets the sh1ts or worse. Laughing

I'm kidding....ish

I have really cheap crappy Argos type pans with one decent Tefal big fry pan, all non stick ally or stainless steel.

So what's the best cooking utensils/pans to get? Non stick, cast iron, copper bottomed? Laughing I gather decent ones that are not non stick you have to treat and not put through the dish washer.

I can go on Amazon and spend a fortune of wifies money (Christmas presents for me) but I really don't know what's best for what. There are conflicting articles all over the net so I 'm after people experience rather than some article that the author has been paid to push one or the other.

I cook on gas BTW.

All of the pans have their merits. Cast iron holds heat well so it needs careful use - once something's started to burn there's no slowing it down. They also weigh a ton, are really expensive and need special treatment. A decent set of stainless pans with a decent base is fine.

Utensils are an odd one. You'll need a mix of non stick and standards and you'll probably end up using the same two or three over and over anyway. Laughing

Tefal stuff is decent quality without spending fortunes by the way.

Have you got a decent set of knives?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Cast iron holds heat well so it needs careful use - once something's started to burn there's no slowing it down. They also weigh a ton, are really expensive and need special treatment.

Well worth investing in a quality cast iron ridged grill pan for the hob. That's about it for me with cast iron.

Is copper-bottomed supposed to be good for even heat distribution over low heat? Which would be good for things like bolognese sauces, curries and things needing a long, slow cook. The pan I use is stainless, with an impact-bonded (non copper) base which seems to do the job.

Non-stick I use for frying and a small saucepan for, wait for it...sauces! Smile

Most things I have to use the budget end for these days and seem to manage ok. Good quality utensils are an advantage, but they're not absolutely necessary for most things. Getting used too the characteristics of what you use is the main thing I reckon.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

Cast iron holds heat well so it needs careful use - once something's started to burn there's no slowing it down. They also weigh a ton, are really expensive and need special treatment.

Well worth investing in a quality cast iron ridged grill pan for the hob. That's about it for me with cast iron.

Is copper-bottomed supposed to be good for even heat distribution over low heat? Which would be good for things like bolognese sauces, curries and things needing a long, slow cook. The pan I use is stainless, with an impact-bonded (non copper) base which seems to do the job.

Non-stick I use for frying and a small saucepan for, wait for it...sauces! Smile

Most things I have to use the budget end for these days and seem to manage ok. Good quality utensils are an advantage, but they're not absolutely necessary for most things. Getting used too the characteristics of what you use is the main thing I reckon.

I'd second that.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

All of the pans have their merits. Cast iron holds heat well so it needs careful use - once something's started to burn there's no slowing it down. They also weigh a ton, are really expensive and need special treatment. A decent set of stainless pans with a decent base is fine.

I pretty well decided not to go for cast iron. I'd probably destroy them before I got used to cooking with them.

Quote:

Utensils are an odd one. You'll need a mix of non stick and standards and you'll probably end up using the same two or three over and over anyway. Laughing

I don't like plastic ones but you cant use metal on non stick and while bamboo is fine for spoons and the like, the spatula is too big.

Quote:
Tefal stuff is decent quality without spending fortunes by the way.

Have you got a decent set of knives?

I have a decent set of Japanese Knives I bought when I worked there. 20 years old now and still hold an edge for ages.

Cheers for the comments. Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:51 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ceramic knives. They are sharp as fuck but a bit brittle so dont use them to open a tin of beans.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Islander wrote:

That's a good shout.

I have a cast iron Dutch oven that I really like but that's enamelled. I also have a heavy non stick wok type pan but the heat transfer on it is shite. You have to wait ages for it to heat up and than it holds the heat, turning the heat down doesn't do anything.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Ceramic knives. They are sharp as fuck but a bit brittle so dont use them to open a tin of beans.

Laughing I use a tin opener for that Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Re: Cooking Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I also have a heavy non stick wok type pan but the heat transfer on it is shite. You have to wait ages for it to heat up and than it holds the heat, turning the heat down doesn't do anything.

That's not a bad characteristic for a wok, assuming stir-frying is what you do with it. You want a high heat for that, and keep things on the move constantly.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast iron is nice but you need to look after it.

I have 2 Le Creuset frying pans which are non-stick and weigh a lot. It just makes cooking anything a lot easier with a decent amount of thermal mass so no hotspots and they hold heat. They are very similar to cast iron in that respect but you don't need to worry about "seasoning" them and they are very easy to clean.

Lifetime warranty but it won't cover the non-stick part if you use metal tools with it.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cast iron only

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless pans for general cooking are great; quality will get you triple ply base which will more evenly conduct heat. Cast iron is fantastic for some things but if it’s bare you need to treat it carefully. Cast iron griddle pan is great (Lakeland used to do a good value one that’s as good as Le Cr stuff). Plain steel wok well seasoned and used over a savage gas burner turns out Chinese food better than any normal pan and they’re cheap too, maybe a tenner from a Chinese supermarket. Same caveats apply to care though.

Back to normal cooking pans, Nisbets sell pro level stuff which isn’t cheap cheap but is pretty good value and very solid. I’ve got the three normal pans from this set and they’re great.

[url] https://www.nisbets.co.uk/vogue-tri-wall-pan-set-of-4-pans/s888?vatToggle=incvat&gclid=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA4o79BRBvEiwAjteoYPvfVR8oc_afvTXOTYNtzCdLqXlhWCFTk-INmOOGQZZiazZeG5rEYhoCCn8QAvD_BwE&cm_mmc=PLA-_-1665275005-_-63901012026-_-S888&cm_mmca1=go_1665275005_63901012026_321523756465_pla-852820568862_m_[/url]

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

I have 2 Le Creuset frying pans which are non-stick and weigh a lot. It just makes cooking anything a lot easier with a decent amount of thermal mass so no hotspots and they hold heat. They are very similar to cast iron in that respect but you don't need to worry about "seasoning" them and they are very easy to clean.

Lifetime warranty but it won't cover the non-stick part if you use metal tools with it.

I don't care how good they are, I'm not paying £100+ for a single pan. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The Artist wrote:

Don't forget the extra for the weightlifting belt and hernia truss. Laughing

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really use much fancy stuff. I inherited some nice bits from my exhusband. Couple of nice iron pots, a nice copper crepe pan. Fuck knows when i might use that but its terribly impressive.

And many woks. Cool

I own two of most things at the moment. Its kind of nice but cluttered AF in my kitchen.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:52 - 05 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Creuset is good, but I've got a cast iron frying pan I got off the waste transfer station ( the tip basically) in Levenshulme in 1980. Its effectively non stick, gets a wipe out quite often, but never cleaned too much. Fantastic.
Also Opinel knives are pretty much as cheap as chips. The carbon rather than stainless steel ones keep an edge really well and are easily sharpened, yeah ok they can go a bit rusty but it soon cleans off - proper knives.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:00 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider is future-proofing. Induction hobs will be the way forwards so make sure your pans will work on one.

For what it's worth I have a load of pans. We got a set of stainless Thomas Rosenthal pans (couple of stock pots, a dutch oven kind of thing, couple of large and couple of small saucepans). They are stainless with metal handles, rivetted on. A nice touch is they have a built in pouring spout and a steainer built into the rim of the lid.

Those are really high quality pans, lifetime garauntee. They would have been VERY expensive but at the time I was getting married tesco were doing vouchers for 80% off them and that's what we asked people to collect for a wedding present.

I have one small, copper bottom sauce-pan for making fiddly sauces in like hollandaise.

I have my grannies old le-crueset cast iron frying pan which I fry most things in. I also have a giant cast iron frying pan for doing big fry-ups when mates are round.

I have a big cast iron pan/casserole thing which is the same size as the stainless one but does a way better job and is easier to clean. It can go from the stove top to the oven.

I have a big le-cruset ceramic-coated aluminium non-stick shallow casserole which is pretty awesome, great for a bolegnaise or similar or for pan frying poultry.

Large steel wok for stir fries.

Steel kahiri for curries.

Huge stainless maslin pan for jamming and bottling.

I have only one non-stick pan which is used exclusively for dry-frying nuts, seeds or spices and fried eggs.

I would say the cast iron is by far the nicest to cook with. Also the easiest to clean. You just need to make sure you dry and oil them after. They are also superb on an induction hob. very heavy though. The stainless is nice but stuff sticks a lot more easily. They can however be cleaned out with metal scouring pads.

The ceramic coated aluminium is surprisingly tough and a good compromise between the ease of use of non-stick and the toughness of stainless. it doesn't scratch easily but it can still scratch.

So the Rosenthals I have are very good, 10 years old now and still absolutely fine. My Mum has a set of stainless AMC pans she was given for her wedding 45 years ago and they are still going strong. A handle broke on one of them about 10 years ago and they replaced it for free under their lifetime garauntee, so also a good brand.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:08 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding knives, I'd go stainless. Carbon has marginal benefits but is a pain in the arse to keep nice.

Take the time to learn to put a proper edge on them with a stone. You'll only need to do this every couple of years, the rest of the time you just need a few strokes on a steel to turn the wire edge over.

I've got a motley assortment of chefs knives but if I was going to pick some to buy now from scratch, I'd go with Mora knives. Good price point and superbly well constructed.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Steel kahiri for curries.

Karahi/kadhai

The cast iron ones aree the business. I cook absolutely everything in one - even hamburgers. I would have to recommend the traditional ones. Really good results. They look like this, and come in various sizes:

https://www.clovegarden.com/ke/img/ke_kadhai06f.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:58 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Karahi/kadhai

The cast iron ones aree the business. I cook absolutely everything in one - even hamburgers. I would have to recommend the traditional ones. Really good results. They look like this, and come in various sizes:

https://www.clovegarden.com/ke/img/ke_kadhai06f.jpg

If you turn it upside down on the hob and ghee up the bottom, you can cook Roti/Chipatti/Naan on them too.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:14 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The Artist wrote:

It was £150 for 2 so a bit better value. What can I say, lifetime warranty sucked me in.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty handy at Chinese food (Wife being a native). The heavy tefal (others make similar) style woks are not really proper woks they are high sided frying pans.

Really proper ones are round bottomed but flat bottom is common these days as modern electric stoves can't do round bottomed pans. Main thing is thickness most of the stuff sold as "wok" here is way too thick, the (carbon) steel ones shouldn't be thicker than 14 gauge if hand made and thinner if machine made. Cast Iron can be a bit thicker but these weigh a ton and personally I prefer steel. Anyway the thick ones and the ones made of Ali or Stainless just won't cook many Chinese dishes correctly. A cheapo £5 flimsy feeling thing from TK maxx home section will make better Kung Pao Chicken than an expensive Tefal one.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I'm pretty handy at Chinese food (Wife being a native). The heavy tefal (others make similar) style woks are not really proper woks they are high sided frying pans.

Really proper ones are round bottomed but flat bottom is common these days as modern electric stoves can't do round bottomed pans. Main thing is thickness most of the stuff sold as "wok" here is way too thick, the (carbon) steel ones shouldn't be thicker than 14 gauge if hand made and thinner if machine made. Cast Iron can be a bit thicker but these weigh a ton and personally I prefer steel. Anyway the thick ones and the ones made of Ali or Stainless just won't cook many Chinese dishes correctly. A cheapo £5 flimsy feeling thing from TK maxx home section will make better Kung Pao Chicken than an expensive Tefal one.

Cooking stir-frys "properly" I think scares a lot of people, so they don't do it. The heat should be fierce, the oil starting to smoke before stuff goes in and the pace of cooking intense. The result though is fantastic. I used to surprise friends cooking a stir fry in a few minutes, but the surprise would be preceded with panic about pans catching on fire etc..

I really miss the wok ring gas hob at my old house; it was a 4kW one and actually did a good job with my wok (as above, a proper thin plain steel round-bottomed jobby). I have an induction hob in the current house and no gas supply to the kitchen so sadly don't get to cook in the same way these days.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I never liked ceramic knives. First of all, they look like toys and then, yes they are very brittle.

If sharpness is what you seek, learn how to properly sharpen a regular knife. My main Santoku style knife is so sharp, that I could shave myself with it and I only sharpen it everynow and then, not regulary. I use other knives (cheaper knives) for smaller stuff too of course and those I sharpen more often, but also not as frequently as you'd might think.

The last bit about knives, or the perceived sharpness of them, the technique of using a knife does more to the ease of use than the sharpening itself, to a certain extant.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 06 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The last bit about knives, or the perceived sharpness of them, the technique of using a knife does more to the ease of use than the sharpening itself, to a certain extant.

I've done a few cookery courses with a cordon bleu trained chef. The very first session I did included a section on basic knife skills and one thing we were told very early on - don't scrape your knife across the chopping board. Plenty of people do it, either to move things around or scrape the chopped items into a pan - it will quickly blunt an edge. I either use a plastic dough scraper or, if not one to hand, turn the knife over and use the back of it for moving things around.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2