Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Taking the bike tests from a disabled point of view.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:51 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Taking the bike tests from a disabled point of view. Reply with quote

Evening all, long time no see and I offer my apologies for that, but I have good reason. 4 years ago I was in the process of going for my license, but a few medical and neurological issues threw me to the lions and I had to call it a day.
I'm now at a point were I can get back to my dream of being a proper biker. However, due to my disability, I cannot use the instructors machines and will have make my own arrangements.
Due to limited movement on my right leg, I cannot bend it passed 80 degrees, so keeping my right foot on the footrest is impossible and I cannot use the rear brake with my foot. So my small brain came up with the idea of getting a bike with forward controls, ergo, a cruiser and use it to get through the tests.
I have about 5K available and have spent a few hours on the net looking for either a cheap bike that suits me, that I could buy and spend few quid converting for my use or buy a bike, like the Kawasaki Vulcan 650, that's there for me out of the box, apart from adding an alternate method of operating the rear brake.
I know the Vulcan is A2, but it's a means to an end and I know it's stupid me saying this and yes I can hear it too, but as I'm almost 60, not in the first flush of use and have physical limitations, I don't think I'd want a bigger bike or if I did, I could restrict it, but what's the point, I just want to become a real rider.
There's also the issue of insurance, I'm aware I'd have to insure the bike before I can use it, but how can I do this without having passed my test?

Any suggestions or advice is greatfully welcome.

1996 Mark 1 Suzuki Bandit 600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:03 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mate with his lower right leg missing. He uses a modified foot peg (further forward to normal) and a thumb brake for the rear.

This is on an fzr 1000 and a vtr 1000.

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:24 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nobby, what did he take his test on?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Taking the bike tests from a disabled point of view. Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
Evening all, long time no see and I offer my apologies for that, but I have good reason. 4 years ago I was in the process of going for my license

Take it in stages. First question: Do you need to re-do your CBT?

EDIT: I have a lot of sympathy for your situation. Years ago, my next-door neighbour used to ride a Vincent, with a side-car. Very decent chap. No legs below the knee.

EDIT: Is the NADB (National Association for Bikers with a Disability) of any use to you? https://www.nabd.org.uk/abouthenabd/

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:44 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to do the lot, theory, CBT module 1 then 2.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:00 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
I'll have to do the lot, theory, CBT module 1 then 2.

So you'll have to modify a series of machines. Anything useful at the NABD? They'd seem to be a very good bet for starters. It's good to know what others have thought of, rather than reinventing the wheel (or brake lever...).

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:57 - 04 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a member of the NADB for a couple of years over 4 years ago and couldn't get the time of day, so after the seizures, I didn't rejoin.

I'll keep researching.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT can be completed on a 650 if with a DAS instructor so no reason you couldn't use your converted bike both for the CBT and the test/DAS training itself if you told them this is what you need at the time of booking.

2 versions of the Vulcan one was offered as an A2 compliant bike from 2018 onwards the earlier one claims 60hp, so wouldn't really be a valid A2 bike nor meet the current A test standard.

The A test currently requires a machine of 50kw/67hp to be used so something at that level would be ideal - although it may be that the non A2 Vulcan would be accepted by an examiner whose unsure of the specifics. May be worth asking the DVSA. ER6s meet these requirements, might be the ideal thing for you would be to find a cruiser slightly beyond the 67hp level to do an A test on or get the late A2 version of the Vulcan if you were willing to spend that much.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:25 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
Thanks Nobby, what did he take his test on?

He lost his leg in a bike accident after he passed his test....

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:03 - 05 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

He lost his leg in a bike accident after he passed his test....

I did the same, but hadn't passed my test at the time.

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:59 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, I emailed Kawasaki GB this morning, pointing out that as the Ninja and the Vulcan have the same engine, could it be possible to modify the Vulcan to bring the power up to the 67bhp required, a reply soon replied, informing me it was not possible.

So that's another idea out of the window.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
I was a member of the NADB for a couple of years over 4 years ago and couldn't get the time of day, so after the seizures, I didn't rejoin.

I'm sorry to hear they were unhelpful. There are suggestions for modifications on their site. What seizures?

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:18 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seizures?

I had two seizures in two consecutive days due to the amount of pressure I was under due to outside forces and personal issues. The neurologist has stated that as I've removed the things in my life that were causing the negativity and creating so much stress, I should be free of anymore episodes.

Fingers crossed.

I've also been in touch with a couple of riding schools near me, but they use either Suzuki SV650's or the Yamaha MT-07, both have the engine are part of the frame, so there is no where for me to mount any modifications to.

Cheeseybeaner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
Out of interest, I emailed Kawasaki GB this morning, pointing out that as the Ninja and the Vulcan have the same engine, could it be possible to modify the Vulcan to bring the power up to the 67bhp required, a reply soon replied, informing me it was not possible.

So that's another idea out of the window.

Unfortunately the DVSA only accept manufacturers claimed power outputs for license and test eligibility, dyno printouts and stuff don't cut it. I'm sure you could modify it to 67hp but it wouldn't make it eligible. There must be some other cruisers you could get hold of that meet the A category requirements? Anything above 595cc,175kg and 67hp+ according to the manufacturer would be okay for the A category license there's no upper limit.

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:05 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything above 595cc,175kg and 67hp+

My Bandit meets the requirements, but it's not manageable for me. The other issue I've just thought of, is insurance, it cost me, (no pun intended) an arm and a leg for the 600cc Bandit, I could only get insurance for 3 months maximum and it was £360. Had I not passed my test in that time, I would have to pay the same again for another 3 months. This was over 4 years ago, I'd better check what the price is going to be now.

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:25 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

I got to a dealers today that had a Vulcan in the showroom, it looked very nice, bathed in the watery sunlight that was making a weak attempt to warm the place up. I had a chat with the saleman who courteously moved the bikes either side, so I could keep a safe distance, but also get my leg over............the bike!
With the bike on the side stand I placed my left leg on the footrest, it was perfect, trying to put my right leg on the other footrest was a different kettle of fish. Because of the width of the tank and the lack of flexibility in my right leg, it was very uncomfortable to try and get my foot in place, when I managed, there was a fair bit of pain in the residual stump, because the prosthetic was being forced to fit and the ball of my foot was on the brake pedal, so if I'd found the bike comfortable, I would have had to take the brake pedal off. The next problem was, where to locate the thumb brake, because the bars swing very close to the tank on either side, there's no room to install a thumb brake, so that has really brought my plans to a full stop.
I was gutted and what made it worse, was the pain developing in my right hip, it was becoming too much to bear and I had to get off. Had the bike had a slimmer tank, there might not have been an issue. I wish I could take my test on a 1978 DT125, that had a slim tank!

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, modified footped position.

You could look at bars that don't get close to the tank.

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a bit of a think since my last post and it occured to me, what about adding some riser blocks to go between the handlebars and headstock. Then the problem would be the issue of moving the instruments and possibly replacing the hoses and electrics, as they would be too short. I wished I'd had a closer look today while I was in the dealers to see if it was possible.

I'll have a look next time I'm passing.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:30 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a few things that worry me about this post & one thing in particular I find deeply disturbing.

Most folk that I know who are into bikes wouldn't hesitate to go out of their way to help anyone to get on a bike. I reckon they'd all go the extra mile to make it happen for someone with the odds stacked against them.

It might just be me, but I have a slight whiff of trigger post here.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:43 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
There's a few things that worry me about this post & one thing in particular I find deeply disturbing.

Most folk that I know who are into bikes wouldn't hesitate to go out of their way to help anyone to get on a bike. I reckon they'd all go the extra mile to make it happen for someone with the odds stacked against them.

It might just be me, but I have a slight whiff of trigger post here.

Poacher turned gamekeeper?

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:00 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to apologise to Cheeseybeaner, I'd either misread his reply about the power levels on the Vulcan not being high enough to qualify for the test or the effects of the seizures, mean I didn't understand.

I hope my explanation goes someway to informing you all of the difficulties I'm having.

Thank you.

KG.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your disability would say a Suzuki Burgman 400/650 or a Honda FJ600 Silverwing type thing offend?

Personally I'll ride any old thing but some folk are more picky.
I had a mate who had to give up 'proper' bikes and got a Burgman.
I thought it was good fun to ride but he wasn't happy and seemed embarrassed by it.
We pointed out it was just as fast, more fuel efficient, reliable and comfy
than the old thing he sold but he wasn't having it.

For balance, I was chatting to a guy who had toured with his missus on a 1200 something or other and bought a Burgman 650
He quietly admitted the 1200 is now a garage queen and he and his missus prefer the burgervan.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

In my case it's the left foot that doesn't work thanks to an accident back in 2009. Seeing as all new bikes are left foot shift, it means there are no new bikes I can ride . . . . .unless I do something about it.

https://www.moonshiners.org.uk/DHC.htm

https://www.lonewolf.me.uk/LWMEETZ-2.htm

Just a couple of ideas which worked for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:49 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's brilliant, goes to show there's nearly always a way.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1