Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fazer 600 - Cylinder #1 Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Fazer 600 - Cylinder #1 Issue Reply with quote

Hi,

So will be phoning local shop tomorrow, but posting for ideas / more places to look.

My MK1 Fazer 600 has developed a running fault that has worsened over the past few rides. May be related to the damp weather as was fine before temperatures dropped below 5, but seems to be struggling since.

Started out as small lumpiness under throttle at random Arrow then progressed onto sounding like it wanted to stall at idle with the clutch pulled in if sat at lights for an average perid of time, and sounded funny after a ride (on one occasion) in neutral Arrow and is now causing the bike to bog down / struggle to pull away below 3,000 rpm or from a dead standstill. Bike requires a lot more throttle to pull away even close to smoothly and often jerks in the process like its going to cut out but doesn't and then gets going.

Exhaust #1 (sitting on bike, far left side) is the problem as its not as warm as the others after a ride (tested by spraying water on downpipes). Its getting warm, but not as warm as it should.

Bike runs fine above 3,000 rpm and starts fine first time on the button without issue. Gears changing fine. Clutch adjusted as it should be.

Spark plugs are fairly new, caps are original. Cap #1 fitted tight and golden part inside looks shiny (not rusted).

IMO based on the fact I've only had it a few months and was serviced by the shop before that (including going back to have the fuel sender replaced) its either something intermittent (coil, but not a complete failure since the one beside #1 is warm and runs fine?) or a slowing failure.

Any ideas?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the spark plug and have a look

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like an ignition coil failure. Correct functioning at speed sounds counter-intuitive because you'd expect demand to be greater, but I've had a similar problem with the car. A coil swap would be more conclusive than a multimeter check IMO.

The two coils probably supply 1 & 4 and 2 & 3. I guess #1 could fail intermittently while the same coil might still be working for #4? (I don't know that for a fact though. Interested in other people's thoughts.)

Although the symptoms don't totally fit I wouldn't discount carb-icing. Silkolene Pro-FST in the tank, and check the carb heater pipes if Fazer's have them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of plug from problem cylinder.

I realise there are charts to compare to, but if someone could spell it out in layman's terms:

https://i.postimg.cc/Vk4yhbZh/20201206-144645-1702.jpg

edit:

There is a mark on the ceramic part, but I've never pulled them in the months I've owned it so cannot be sure if it was there before the problem / and if this is an indicator of a problem from the HT lead / damage?

https://i.postimg.cc/K8Gwt8cD/20201206-144842.jpg

Last edited by NJD on 16:17 - 06 Dec 2020; edited 1 time in total

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:16 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually wasted spark ignition would affect both to some degree or other, time to test its 'other half' (#4 ?).

/edit:

Cross-posts, I hadn't seen your photos.

If that has been tracking, a good fault. Clean it up fully and if clear ceramic below then clean the inside of the cap and re-try it.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same on my Thundercat, it turned out to be a failed plug cap, diagnosed only by testing the resistancec(should be 10kΩ from memory). Cap just unscrews from the HT lead.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:47 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume a knackered carb rubber for stalling at the traffic lights.

I wouldn't consider an ignition fault because you typically lose two cylinders on a modern four because wasted spark, but.... If a plug or lead is breaking down it is possible for the spark to jump from the breaking down lead and the other cylinder to still work perfectly.

Start it up when it's dark and see if you have a spark jumping somewhere between the coil and the plug.

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:21 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same symptoms on my FZS600 few years ago, turned out to be a crack in the spark plug cap.

Was hassle to replace HT leads in coils, so just trimmed original leads slightly then shoved them into some new NGK caps. Job done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I would assume a knackered carb rubber for stalling at the traffic lights.

It hasn't actually stalled thus far, but sounds like it wants to if I find myself sitting at a set of lights at night for a period of time (where I can hear the bike the most). Sluggish to pull away and jerks in the process then gets going and is fine once on the move without issue.

The engine to carb rubbers are badly damaged, but (IIRC) I've had this bike since August and ran them in this condition. I have sprayed carb cleaner on them to see if the idle speed rises and didn't hear a change in the engine tone or notice anything on the needle.

Fazer rubbers, so I'm led to understand, are known for cracking so given that I don't believe there is an air leak I'm reluctant to pay for them to be changed. Shop sold them like this and have had it back since so despite how bad they look if it was the cause of an issue then I'd assume it would have been obvious straight away.

I realise you could look at the below photo and say "dur, get them replaced because even if it isn't that it can't be helping," but as I say the bikes ran fine since I got it with them like that.

The bike was fine one moment, and then has got progressively worse with change to how its set up / jobs done inbetween that could have caused issue.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0gs9cS3/20200814-155542.jpg

Arfa__ wrote:
Had same symptoms on my FZS600 few years ago, turned out to be a crack in the spark plug cap.

Tempted to start with replacing the cap and plug and going from there. Thinking

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are prone to arcing from the spark plug caps. You could unscrew the caps from cylinder 1 and 2 and swap them and see if the problem moves to cylinder 2. You could do the same with the spark plugs. Do one thing at a time.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
They are prone to arcing from the spark plug caps. You could unscrew the caps from cylinder 1 and 2 and swap them and see if the problem moves to cylinder 2. You could do the same with the spark plugs. Do one thing at a time.

Had thought about this, but too dark now (try tomorrow).

To clarify do you mean pull the spark plug boot off the spark plug and simply swap them over or do you mean unscrew the caps from the HT lead and swap them over that way?

^ First time I'd have tried that so want to be sure rather than plug wrong lead into wrong cylinder (if it makes a difference).

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chop 1cm off the end of the ht lead in case there's no copper core in the end of it, screwing the cap in actually damages the core over the years so trimming it back will give a better connection.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:51 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

FACE PALM.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treat the old girl to a new set of plugs while your in there.. Cost is only a few quid.
carb rubber looks quite bad. standard trick of wrapping with self-amalgaming tape will eliminate that possibility.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
oilyrag wrote:

Had thought about this, but too dark now (try tomorrow).

To clarify do you mean pull the spark plug boot off the spark plug and simply swap them over or do you mean unscrew the caps from the HT lead and swap them over that way?

^ First time I'd have tried that so want to be sure rather than plug wrong lead into wrong cylinder (if it makes a difference).

If it's dark out, start the engine. You can sometimes you can see the small sparks around the cap. or hear a clicking sound. Or you could mist a bit of water over the cap and see if the engine rpm changes.

I mean unplug the cap from the spark plug. Unscrew the cap from the lead. Swap just the cap. The lead has to stay with the same cylinder. Do as andy675 said and cut the end off the lead. The ends can corrode.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
standard trick of wrapping with self-amalgaming tape will eliminate that possibility.

Interesting, is there anything tape and WD40 can't fix (even if only temporarily)? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
FACE PALM.

If it helps there's a shop full of trained mechanics willing to see that as credible to sell, but given I've not diagnosed it as the fault thus far I'll leave my insult at that.

Doesn't surprise me they didn't replace them. Worked at a bike shop with a guy that had a Fazer once upon a time and he commented on how much of a faff getting the rubbers onto the airbox is (not out of reach of a shop, but probably a cost v time thing).

~

Going to pop down to local bike shop to see if they've got a NGK spark plug cap in stock tomorrow, and probably get a new spark plug as well (for clarity the ones in the bike are only a few months old, supposedly).

Might try the tape trick to see what that does in the process, but I'd be amazed if that was it owing to the fact it ran fine in the warmer climate but now struggles in the cold (unless cold causes air leaks to worsen / become more prominent). Definitely feel like a breaking down of the cap or something coil related sounds more viable at this point.

Thank-you all for the comments / day of help thus far. Thumbs Up

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 06 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep my money is on tiny hairline split in plug cap. As other have said, trim 1cm off HT end, screw into new cap. You have already identified the problem cylinder.

And yes, those boots wont last forever. Dog of a job, good luck Laughing

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Yep my money is on tiny hairline split in plug cap. As other have said, trim 1cm off HT end, screw into new cap. You have already identified the problem cylinder.

And yes, those boots wont last forever. Dog of a job, good luck Laughing

He knows the problem is on cylinder 1 but he doesn't know what the problem is yet. If he swaps the caps and the problem moves to cylinder 2 he knows for sure it's the cap. If he swaps the caps and the problem stays on cylinder 1 he knows for sure it's not the caps. It would take a minute to swap them. There's no point replacing the caps if it's not the problem.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo.

Replaced the O.E.M cap with a brand new NGK SD05F cap and the exhaust got hot, as it should, straight away. Only realised how much power I'd lost when I attempted to pull away to test ride after fitting.

For what its worth the O.E.M cap looks to be in perfect condition and is crack free all over, and the gold bit that the HT lead screws into is shiny and free from debris or marks (bright gold). So it may be internal, or it may be that the HT lead was slightly mangled due to age / not forming a good connection. In either case I'm glad its a cheap fix, as I'd hoped, as the bike now continues to run like a dream in weather worse than what other bikes have left me at the side of the road.

Used the same spark plug so was definitely the cap or the HT lead needing cutting.

Will replace other three when I can go back and pick them up because why not. Assume their the ones that the bike rolled out the factory with so can't hurt.

Regards those cracked boots I've realised -- if it makes a difference -- that they're the "carb intake stubs" not the ones that go from carbs to airbox (rubbers). Still will need replacing at some point, but neither part looks to be particularly expensive via eBay second hand for average - good condition ones. A job for the future, but not yet.

Many thanks for all the advice.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:05 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's no change in rpm when you spray carb cleaner around them don't change them. It won't make any difference to how the bike runs.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
If there's no change in rpm when you spray carb cleaner around them don't change them. It won't make any difference to how the bike runs.

It won’t now, but it will when they eventually do fail, probably when you least want them to.

The symptoms were identical to my Thundercat’s so I was fairly confident that’s what it was.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:33 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't fail. They just crack on the surface. The cracks don't go through. The next time you see a square headlight Fazer 600 parked have a look at the intake manifolds. I can pretty much guarantee they will be all be cracked on the surface. The main reason they get replaced is people don't like looking at the cracks or they think replacing them will fix a running problem but it usually doesn't because the cracks don't go all the way through. If you want to replace them you can get genuine replacements from Yamaha but they are mad expensive. You can get good quality after market Tourmax ones for around £100 or you can get cheap ebay ones for £20.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen the el-cheapo twenty-pound ones on eBay, but have since purchased a job lot that had some genuine ones in from a bike that had been stripped for twenty quid. I can see one has a crack, and the other three look to be in good condition. For the price I can't complain at whatever turns up.

Wont be something I do anytime soon as the bikes running mint in this cold climate without fuss, and also is a lot of stripping parts just to replace something that -- for me at least -- is only a visual issue at the moment; but is worth chucking in a spares box.

You could probably build the bike for a tenner based on the mass cheap parts available via eBay. Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[BUMP - Fazer 600 1999 MK1].

To recap: in December 2020 I had a running issue that turned out to be a coil related issue and appeared on #1 cylinder. I solved this issue by fitting new NGK spark plug caps to all four HT leads and trimming the original HT lead a little to give it a fresh lease of life.

Today, three months on, the poor running appeared again but this time was on #2 and #3 which is on a separate coil to last time. Both exhausts were running noticeably cooler than #1 and #4.

I fitted four new spark plugs, but that made little difference. I trimmed back the HT lead on the problem cylinders and they came back into life. They were tight to the cap before I trimmed them, but trimming them worked for whatever reason.

I went for a ride after trimming the HT leads on the problem cylinder (#2 and #3) and it ran as good as I'd expect it to. The exhausts were hot and spraying water on them caused the same amount of smoke as #1 and #4. So, for now, all four exhausts are at the same temp and it works (omitting that it will be one or two rides before I'll be convinced its fine and working as it should without issue).

I can't do anything but play the waiting game for now, but would replacing the coils be your next investment? I'm baffled by (a) why the other coil failed to last time, and (b) why trimming the lead fixed the issue when they were trimmed three months ago and have worked okay since.

I did also charge the battery today (removed it as I didn't want spilt fuel from removing tank hose to get on it) and it read 90% when the charger first started charging it. I can't be 100% sure that translates into anything as you can charge the battery and plug it in again straight after and it doesn't read 100% (Sealey branded charger).

Anything that may cause the coils to play up that trimming the HT leads solves?

Bit of an odd one to be honest.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:00 - 25 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best guess is that the whole ignition system is a bit borderline, and a bit of corrosion in those HT leads was the straw the broke the camel's back.

Personally I would be going through the system to eliminate any corrosion first - CDI connector, any wire going into the coils and where they earth onto the frame, and new HT leads and plug caps. In fact if it was me I would likely fit new coils as well, unless they cost silly money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2