Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extra tutoring for 50cc post CBT?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

400N
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:29 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Extra tutoring for 50cc post CBT? Reply with quote

After having half a dozen bikes in the garage and years of going to the TT etc, I gave up 2 wheels when my kids came along. My eldest daughter turns 16 after Chrismas and is looking at going to a 6th form college miles from a decent bus service. So a 50cc scooter seems the only practical option even though it brings a few compromises.

Her doing CBT is a given, but I am trying to sort some extra road awareness training, cant seem to find anyone doing that for 50cc riders - is it not a thing?

When I learnt to ride my dad arranged for me to spend a few hours with a police motorcyclist and it was super useful, possibly even saved my life. I can tell her stuff, but its not the same as proper observed riding

thoughts?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to the CBT people about extra tuition.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 07 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that if you explained the situation and your requirements to any decent motorcycle training school they would find a way to help you.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue may partly be because with a 50cc you're going to be quite restricted as to where tuition will happen; I would be surprised if instructors would be comfortable going anywhere other than 30mph roads and depending on where you are, that's properly limiting things. Even "fully urban" environments often involve 40mph stretches / flyovers etc. which a 50cc scooter is going to be extremely vulnerable on.

Good thought process though; the number of 50cc I see riding about who clearly don't have a clue on how a road works suggests most parents don't think about extra tuition. Thumbs Up

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:34 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah any motorcycle school should be able to do this. Ring them and ask.

McHattrick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my funky moped many decades ago, there existed the RAC/ACU training scheme. Taught everything from handling to maintenance. Sadly it stopped many years ago. I bought a moped for my son when he turned 16 a few years ago and tried to find something similar, with no success.
So plan B was to get two Bluetooth headsets and shadow him for the first few solo outings after his CBT. Worked perfectly well. I could see what he was doing and advise him what to be aware of until he got some experience.
I use the Sena10S which I cant fault. Bit expensive but has been faultless and great range.
singletonamos... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:37 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I think the issue may partly be because with a 50cc you're going to be quite restricted as to where tuition will happen; I would be surprised if instructors would be comfortable going anywhere other than 30mph roads and depending on where you are, that's properly limiting things. Even "fully urban" environments often involve 40mph stretches / flyovers etc. which a 50cc scooter is going to be extremely vulnerable on.

Good thought process though; the number of 50cc I see riding about who clearly don't have a clue on how a road works suggests most parents don't think about extra tuition. Thumbs Up

It's still better than a bicycle.
You don't need to pedal and it should have proper lights,mirrors etc.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 16 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I don't understand that. A relative did CBT in Belchley (nr. Milton Keynes), on a mixture of CBT premises, on roads up to NSL, including dual carriageways. The only "avoidance" was of big, fast roundabouts.

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:27 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

I don't understand that. A relative did CBT in Belchley (nr. Milton Keynes), on a mixture of CBT premises, on roads up to NSL, including dual carriageways. The only "avoidance" was of big, fast roundabouts.

How old was your relative ? At 16 you can only do 50cc CBT which restricts you to a 27mph bike. At 17 you can go 125 CBT at that cc bike could do up to 70 mph.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

How old was your relative ? At 16 you can only do 50cc CBT which restricts you to a 27mph bike. At 17 you can go 125 CBT at that cc bike could do up to 70 mph.

Oh, for goodness' sake. Age 16, on an unmodified CBT school 50cc scooter.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1