Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Greetings from a new member

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Dec 2020    Post subject: Greetings from a new member Reply with quote

Just a quick post to say hello.
I've been wanting a bike some I was 15. It's taken me 32 years, but today I finally took the plunge.
I pick her up on Friday, and I don't mind admitting I'm a little nervous. I'm an artic driver by trade, so I regularly see the daft things some car drivers do on our roads...
It's a 2000 Suzuki Marauder 125, in case anybody's wondering.

I did my CBT on a Honda CBF, and had been considering getting one new, as there are some very affordable deals out there, but by the afternoon, my 47 year old knees where in agony, with the angle, so I went back to my original plan of being a clichéd mid life crisis fat man on a cruiser.

https://ibb.co/sHvNdfP
https://ibb.co/FDJgSN0

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:03 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Thumbs Up .

Enjoy it.
Remember, shiny side up!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and enjoy. Smile With your profession, as you've already suggested, you'll probably already have a good degree of awareness of what muppets car drivers can be - a big benefit to a new rider. Thumbs Up A lot of 125s are quite small, so don't feel you're restricted to a cruiser type bike purely because of leg positioning; there are plenty of bikes out there which allow you to have less of a bend in the knee although for many you'll need to get your full licence for. Is the plan to go for your full licence at some point?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next get your big boy licence, then you can be a clichéd mid life crisis fat man on a faster cruiser Laughing

Seriously though wobble about on the 125 for the shortest time you can, everything is easier on a bigger bike.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Shandy!

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like to give a warm hand to a new member. If you have any issues then please contact Ste as he is the site Admin. Thumbs Up

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:50 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Next get your big boy licence, then you can be a clichéd mid life crisis fat man on a faster cruiser Laughing

Seriously though wobble about on the 125 for the shortest time you can, everything is easier on a bigger bike.

This ^^

Welcome, from another fat mid-life crisis man (not on a cruiser though)

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:02 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
... Is the plan to go for your full licence at some point?

Yes, but I was planning to spend maybe 5 or 6 months getting used to riding and working on my routines, so I'm ready for direct access and a beefier bike for summer?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Yes, but I was planning to spend maybe 5 or 6 months getting used to riding and working on my routines, so I'm ready for direct access and a beefier bike for summer?

I had the same plan. Took me less than 2 weeks* on a 125 before I resolved to do my full licence Smile

*Still took me ~4 months till I passed but that was more down to financial restraints than anything else.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

Sounds like a plan. Thumbs Up if anything I'd suggest aiming to start the process of getting your licence in the spring so by the time you've been through the process, you've still got at least some of the summer left to enjoy your new bike! As others have said, big bikes genuinely are easier to ride than 125s; they're more stable, better brakes, more responsive engines and larger so more comfortable. Only thing they're harder for is moving about by hand, but it's all relative and you get used to it.

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:44 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I can't wait to pick up the bike tomorrow and ride (carefully) home. I'll be going right past West Yorkshire Police HQ in Wakefield, seeing as I can't use the M62, so no pressure...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:
Well, thanks for the welcome, and the advice. I can't wait to pick up the bike tomorrow and ride (carefully) home. I'll be going right past West Yorkshire Police HQ in Wakefield, seeing as I can't use the M62, so no pressure...

Bonus points if you can wheelie the full length of the HQ building. Thumbs Up

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:43 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pity it's not South Yorks police, their address always makes me smile Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:50 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:

Carbrook House?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW for some reason those picture links don't work for me. For the benefit of anyone else having the same problem...

https://i.ibb.co/L5zcXFP/20201206-190731.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/XCpShN3/20201206-190221.jpg

For reference, the forum image tags like to resolve to a specific file rather than just a path.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

fwiw i did a good few months on a 125 before doing mods 1 and 2. I made the DAS riders look like utter shyte - and let's be honest, there'd have been something wrong if I hadn't. But most of them just thought i was some sort of natural. I remember doing figure of eights and two instructors walking around me, trying to distract me, because I never put a foot down. They had to give up in the end. This was purely because I used to practice the slalom and figure of eight on a regular basis - with shrunken down measurements, and at a crawl (using rear brake and clutch slip). I had a vanvan - it was ridonkulously slow...even when thraped. But it was still fun in a weird way.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:17 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
BTW]

For reference, the forum image tags like to resolve to a specific file rather than just a path.

Thanks for that, I did wonder...

Since you posted them, I have a question about luggage racks, sissy bars etc. Is it a 'standard' fit? Ie distance between hike centers and gym dude to side, or did one have to get one that specifically lists your make, model, and engine size?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
BTW]

Thanks for that, I did wonder...

Since you posted them, I have a question about luggage racks, sissy bars etc. Is it a 'standard' fit? Ie distance between hike centers and gym dude to side, or did one have to get one that specifically lists your make, model, and engine size?

Jeez, did auto-correct mangle that? Very Happy But yes, you usually have to get something that fits to your model. However it's quite likely that something like a sissy-bar would actually fit quite a range of models so it comes down to how good your Google Search skills are.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Keithy wrote:

Carbrook House?

No, the ‘Operations Complex’

https://goo.gl/maps/aLepXo2UHDCx2CEa9

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:52 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
No, the ‘Operations Complex’

https://goo.gl/maps/aLepXo2UHDCx2CEa9

LMAO! Even the wife had a laugh with that one Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going back to the bike, if you're planning to go for your full licence anytime soon I'd be a bit wary of splurging on bike-specific accessories. The cost can mount up pretty quickly and you'll not recoup much, if anything, when you sell. If you're planning to keep the bike for years then it doesn't really matter or if you're keen to personalise it anyway then obviously it's your call, but with a new bike it's easy to get a bit carried away sometimes. Thumbs Up

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:13 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Just going back to the bike, if you're planning to go for your full licence anytime soon I'd be a bit wary of splurging on bike-specific accessories. The cost can mount up pretty quickly and you'll not recoup much, if anything, when you sell. If you're planning to keep the bike for years then it doesn't really matter or if you're keen to personalise it anyway then obviously it's your call, but with a new bike it's easy to get a bit carried away sometimes. Thumbs Up

Yeah, I can definitely relate to what you're saying. I just ordered some panniers, but that's because I want to commute to work with it and I need some means of transporting my bike locks, and drivers bag. (Contains lunch, flask, satnav, etc..).
I was considering crash bars, but boy, are they expensive, combated to the £1350 i spent on the bike!

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you (or maybe the spanner monkey at your firm) are handy crashbars can be adapted. Find some cheap used ones on eBay designed to bolt to a similar type frame (looks like a single downtube) and make up brackets.

Shandy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:37 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Yeah, I can definitely relate to what you're saying. I just ordered some panniers, but that's because I want to commute to work with it and I need some means of transporting my bike locks, and drivers bag. (Contains lunch, flask, satnav, etc..).
I was considering crash bars, but boy, are they expensive, combated to the £1350 i spent on the bike!

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:07 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shandy wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

All I can add to this thread is beware of picking up bad habits, as an experienced road user, riding on your own does allow you to bend the rules a little (I use that term loosely), cut corners, you know the drill.

Come the day of the test some of these bad habits may kick in automatically. Just a thought.

With hindsight, I'd say go for your full test ASAP.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2