Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tell me all about... suspension :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Tell me all about... suspension :) Reply with quote

Waiting for the planets to align till I can get me some XSR700 action. In the meantime I've watched some videos, know your enemy and all that Smile And the recurring criticism is always...

Suspension

So in my usual spirit of "You know nothing, Jon Snow" I'd like figure out what's worth doing and what's just track day fluff.

Starting point for the XSR700/MT07 is pretty much a blank slate: boggest of bog standard non-adjustable front forks, basic pre-load adjustable rear shock. Assume a full rebuild or replacement of the front forks and/or their internals is perfectly feasible, rear shock will just be adjust or swap.

Option 1: Leave it alone. Oh dear, how boring! However, my elfin-like form does me a favour here as it places me in the "Japanese" sub-75kg category. I might therefore find the stock suspension acceptable.

Option 2: Trim 10~15mm from the fork spacers, up the oil weight from 10W to 15W. This seems to be the minimal modification touted.

Option 3: Replace fork top-caps to get pre-load adjustment. Seems a lot less "hacky" than the previous option. Usually this is coupled with replacement springs which leads to the question: linear or progressive?

Option 3a: I see "emulators" mentioned which seem to be a cheap but annoying way to add some regulation to the oil flow: hassle in that complete disassembly is required to fit them and more hassle to do the same again if they need adjustment.

Option 4: Drop in cartridges. Well, now you have all the spinny bits! But is all that necessary on a street bike?

For the rear shock I guess it's the simple case of "how much money would you like to burn?" but is it a case of upgrading in tandem with whatever's done to the forks or are the benefits independent?

Obviously all this stuff would need a proper set up or what's the point Smile

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother - real cruiser men go 'hard-tail'..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my Tracer 700 it had already been modded with YSS fork emulators and YSS shock. The bloke who had it before me must have been mahoosive cos there was barely any sag either end and I'm no racing snake at 14.5 st.
Experimented over the summer, at the back I ended up taking 6 full turns of preload off and a load of rebound to get it to follow the road and save my kidneys.
The front end was more problematic. Had the emulators out several times but could never get it soft enough, sag was next to nothing as well. Ended up taking the emulators out, changing to 12.5wt oil with more in and adjustable fork caps with reduced spacer length, sorry cant remember how much more oil or how much I took off the spacers.
Compared to how it was it like a magic carpet now.
First thing to get right is the sag or nothing else matters. I have 35mm rear and 25mm front.
Its never going to like Ohlins but it is ok for me now, hope this helps.

OGR

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
When I got my Tracer 700 it had already been modded with YSS fork emulators and YSS shock. The bloke who had it before me must have been mahoosive cos there was barely any sag either end and I'm no racing snake at 14.5 st.
Experimented over the summer, at the back I ended up taking 6 full turns of preload off and a load of rebound to get it to follow the road and save my kidneys.
The front end was more problematic. Had the emulators out several times but could never get it soft enough, sag was next to nothing as well. Ended up taking the emulators out, changing to 12.5wt oil with more in and adjustable fork caps with reduced spacer length, sorry cant remember how much more oil or how much I took off the spacers.
Compared to how it was it like a magic carpet now.
First thing to get right is the sag or nothing else matters. I have 35mm rear and 25mm front.
Its never going to like Ohlins but it is ok for me now, hope this helps.

OGR

I'm shocked a Tracer 700 has piston rod forks as standard. Disgusting for a modern bike.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it for a bit first, if the suspension is so bad you feel it's impeding on your ability to extract performance from the bike or causing real comfort issues, then option 3a or 4 + rear shock. Don't feck about with 1,2 and 3, just do a proper job.

I do sometimes wonder if the constant criticisms of crap suspension these days are always valid or if it's become fashionable to blame rider short comings on poor suspension. Bit like blaming crashes resulting from rider error on "diesel patch".

Considered the Ducati Scrambler? Grand more and pulls off that retro look far better.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Tell me all about... suspension :) Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
And the recurring criticism is always...

Suspension

Quote:
Even though the suspension carries a slightly budget feel and is relatively soft, it doesn’t detract from the machine’s impeccable road handling

I'd say adjust as much as you can for your weight and keep as is until it annoys you enough to get an upgrade.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:

I'm shocked a Tracer 700 has piston rod forks as standard. Disgusting for a modern bike.

The only thing I can think of is that they must be cheaper to produce.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:26 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride it and see. Suspension is down to your weight, riding style, roads and personal preference.

So this means that even very crap suspension could be fine for you, if you're using the bike in the range where that suspension works. The minor tweaks you mentioned - preload and oil weight - provide a small amount of adjustment. The main problem is that with basic suspension you're stuck with a limited range of use cases where it works properly. Get outside of this range and it either too soft, too hard, too much or too little damping, or it just can't respond quickly enough.

I have had to learn about this in the last couple of years because, for the first time in my life, I got a bike where the suspension is just dangerously shit from the factory. The forks were saggy when ridden gently, but went rock solid when moving on a rough surface - not doing what suspension should do. The rear shocks just couldn't change direction quickly enough and were very hard, so I had the odd sensation of a firm rear end and plenty of punches in the kidneys, but the traction control light always coming on.

My solution has been new fork springs and cartridge emulators in the front, which sorted it. Could go further and fit full cartridges, but that's diminishing returns. New shocks on the back from the shock factory, which are pretty good but not incredible. Better than hagon, worse than I assume Ohlins would be. Messing around with spring rates is a thing, and gets expensive quickly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the guidance online. Fast Bikes mag and such aye have a skit on spension set-up.
It's not rocket surgery to get it reasonably adjusted for general riding.
As mentioned up there, /\ the only real need to get purnikerty about it is if you intend to push the hoowur to it's/your limits.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
I do sometimes wonder if the constant criticisms of crap suspension these days are always valid or if it's become fashionable to blame rider short comings on poor suspension. Bit like blaming crashes resulting from rider error on "diesel patch".

Plenty of reviewers sneer at the Rebel's suspension as well but it's not like it's a high performance bike in need of snappy handling. (Anyway, mostly from lardy Americans.) But who doesn't love a few fiddly bits to fettle with on a Sunday afternoon Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of those who regard suspension as a bit of the dark art.

My Striple R was terrible straight out of the crate. I played with it according to numerous U tubes and guides on the internet. No, still bad.

So one track day where I went with friends I paid a firm to set it up for me. What a difference. Set up, go for a thrash, come back and fine tune. Worth every penny to me.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
But who doesn't love a few fiddly bits to fettle with on a Sunday afternoon Smile

You'll be much disappoint there. It's the kind of thing you dial in correctly and then leave alone. Though if any of the adjusters are easily adjusted expect arse holes to turn them if you leave it parked in a public places. I removed the preload adjusters on my GSXR forks for a while because I got tired of returning to it and having to set them again after some knob had turned one out/in as far as they could.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly found that the OEM rear shock on my 5JJ R1 was not as good as it could be,so opted for an Ohlins like I have on a few of my other bikes.This was fitted at an early stage of my ownership of the bike and was assured by the included documents that it was set up for my weight and for my intended use ie.not on the track.From the off the feedback through my backside suggested that there was something wrong.I had adjusted the SAG when the superior shock was fitted,but the clickers were miles out from the 'suggested' settings that the paperwork said they were.After going to the setup in the owners manual it made a world of difference and after a bit of fine tuning I am happy to stuff the bike in to a corner,knowing that the bike will not wobble and bounce half way through.The wear pattern on the tyre also shows that the suspension is working correctly,with the Michelin PR3 that was on there for 13,000 miles worn evenly across the width.

The situation with upgrading the rear of the R1 showed up the low quality front springs,so they were replaced with Ohlins uprated springs and decent Ohlins grade 5 fork oil. The cartridge was flushed with some cheap fork oil and left to drain overnight and the air gap carefully measured.And what a world of difference they made.The information from the Haynes manual,which is the same to all intents and purposes as that from the genuine Yamaha document,was adhered to and the results were worth the effort Thumbs Up Cool Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:17 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=100711

Ignore any setup guide that says: "Street Triple: 2 clicks off of the front rebound, one off of compression..." etc

The guide linked to above is the closest thing to a generic suspension setup guide I've seen. There is literally nothing on Youtube unless you pay and precious little else on the internet at large that I can find. The above guide from a magazine circa 1999 is honestly the best I've found.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:00 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the sag, then tweak everything else.

If the sag is wrong, there is no point tweaking anything else, you're painting the bricks before you built the wall. Sag is determined by spring strength and preload.

From experience, if the spring rate and sag are correctly set, even if the damping fails totally, the bike will still be rideable (albeit a tad boingy).

Go to this page:
https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/XSR700/2019

Click on calculate spring rates, fill in the details, read what it suggests about spring rate, preload, fork oil (level and type) and (if you're made of money) valving.

If you do what they suggest there, you will be in the correct ballpark.

If there is no cable tie round your fork stanchion, you aren't setting up suspension, you are just randomly fiddling with things.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:40 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Set the sag, then tweak everything else.

If the sag is wrong, there is no point tweaking anything else, you're painting the bricks before you built the wall. Sag is determined by spring strength and preload.

From experience, if the spring rate and sag are correctly set, even if the damping fails totally, the bike will still be rideable (albeit a tad boingy).

Go to this page:
https://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/XSR700/2019

Click on calculate spring rates, fill in the details, read what it suggests about spring rate, preload, fork oil (level and type) and (if you're made of money) valving.

If you do what they suggest there, you will be in the correct ballpark.

If there is no cable tie round your fork stanchion, you aren't setting up suspension, you are just randomly fiddling with things.

Very interesting Thumbs Up If anything I might be too light for the stock springs Laughing Replacement springs or more pies... it's a tough one Wink

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:06 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
My solution has been new fork springs and cartridge emulators in the front, which sorted it. Could go further and fit full cartridges, but that's diminishing returns. New shocks on the back from the shock factory, which are pretty good but not incredible. Better than hagon, worse than I assume Ohlins would be. Messing around with spring rates is a thing, and gets expensive quickly.

Not that I have tried a a Shock Factory rear shock but I have a Hagon on the rear of the Deauville which is a custom built non-standard shock with remote preload adjustment for which they charged me the standard £424, the shock factory don't seem to provide a similar shock for the price.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:41 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Not that I have tried a a Shock Factory rear shock but I have a Hagon on the rear of the Deauville which is a custom built non-standard shock with remote preload adjustment for which they charged me the standard £424, the shock factory don't seem to provide a similar shock for the price.

Nitron charge £462 for their most basic shock, always built to order to customer spec. I think the remote preload adjuster is not expensive either...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:19 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Nitron charge £462 for their most basic shock, always built to order to customer spec. I think the remote preload adjuster is not expensive either...

That's not expensive?! I think I'm out of touch! and skint Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:25 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

That's not expensive?! I think I'm out of touch! and skint Laughing

Nope, that's a great deal. Nitron are spoken of in the same breath as Ohlins, yet they are made right here in the UK and their basic model costs half of what a second hand ohlins shock would probably fetch on ebay.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Nope, that's a great deal. Nitron are spoken of in the same breath as Ohlins, yet they are made right here in the UK and their basic model costs half of what a second hand ohlins shock would probably fetch on ebay.

What's a good budget if you're buying a bike? Now what proportion of that is nearly £500?
Ok, I get that good suspension makes or breaks the riding experience. But manufacturers should be providing that as part of their finished bikes anyway. You shouldn't have to spend that big chunk extra. But I suppose it depends on whether you're talking of bikes that are perfectly ok for everyday use, or something you want to rag the arse out of on track.

Fortunately on mine I had the option of used, well-doctored (K-Tech internals) forks in a conversion to USD (parts about £300, ready to bung on and go), and a low mileage or refurbished rear shock from a better handling bike that was well known to work with this model for even less than that Very Happy

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Follow the guidance online. Fast Bikes mag and such aye have a skit on spension set-up.
It's not rocket surgery to get it reasonably adjusted for general riding.
As mentioned up there, /\ the only real need to get purnikerty about it is if you intend to push the hoowur to it's/your limits.

Yes, and this month Practical Sportsbike also have an article on setting up on an MT09.. In summary they say setting sag correctly will get you a long way or go to an expert and spend 750 quid for some new bits (pistons, springs, shock)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been impressed by YSS. Both my old ZZR's I fitted YSS rear shocks too and I couldn't pick a fault with them on the road. £260 for their basic monoshock (preload, rebound and height +/-10mm adjustable).

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:

The front end was more problematic. Had the emulators out several times but could never get it soft enough, sag was next to nothing as well. Ended up taking the emulators out, changing to 12.5wt oil with more in
OGR

Interesting. What weight oil is standard for the tracer 700?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Old Git Racing wrote:

The front end was more problematic. Had the emulators out several times but could never get it soft enough, sag was next to nothing as well. Ended up taking the emulators out, changing to 12.5wt oil with more in
OGR

Interesting. What weight oil is standard for the tracer 700?

Its 10wt as standard.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3