Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Breakdown cover for my van.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Breakdown cover for my van. Reply with quote

My van's an old FIAT Scudo. Unfortunately, it's just over the maximum weight for GEM (2500kg). The RAC want £158, and I don't want to pay all that.

Wanted: Fixing breakdowns at the roadside. Recovery from roadside to garage or home. The same if it's carrying a motorbike. Erm. Maybe something I have not thought of.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea for vans but that doesn't seem too bad when the fcukers have just quoted me £224 for family cover including relay. If I was a new customer it would be £152.

RAC can take a flying one.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoaid is good.
Covers you, not the vehicle.
I've had them take a scooter to the garage on a trailer when the drive belt snapped.

https://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

£60

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
Autoaid is good.
I've had them take a scooter to the garage on a trailer when the drive belt snapped.

£60

Just looking through that site, I can't see anywhere that you have to pay and then claim it back? is that still the case or has it now changed?

£60 for me and wifey seems a no brainer.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:
Autoaid is good.

£60

Just looking through that site, I can't see anywhere that you have to pay and then claim it back? is that still the case or has it now changed?

£60 for me and wifey seems a no brainer.

You no longer have to claim back.

I used them just last week.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the personal cover, presumably there are limits though? Extreme example; 44T artic they're not likely to want to deal with . . . where do they draw the line? I'd imagine 3.5T gvw in line with most people's "normal" licences, but worth checking vans are included?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:13 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your insurance if they'll bundle something in for you. It's the only way I can get sensibly priced euro recovery on my 30 year old VFR750 and modified enfield.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack is a major £££investor in a vehicle recovery Co' with very many contracts & you can either take the advice or leave it & do your own thing.

Roadside repairs on a modern vehicle is the biggest load of bollox that I ever heard. If it has a flat tyre then change that tyre, if it's a flat battery then bump it or jump it you pathetic weakling.

Just about anything else is usually too deep for the fukwits employed to respond to roadside breakdowns 24/7.

What you want, what you really, really want, is a get you & your car/bike home service.

Knowing what I know, I really cannot understand how anyone can still be daft enough to fall for the false promises of your RAC & AA.

Just about everyone I know in this industry subscribes to Autoaid for those occasions you cannot sort it out yourself.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:27 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Jack is a major £££investor in a vehicle recovery Co' with very many contracts & you can either take the advice or leave it & do your own thing.

Roadside repairs on a modern vehicle is the biggest load of bollox that I ever heard. If it has a flat tyre then change that tyre, if it's a flat battery then bump it or jump it you pathetic weakling.

Just about anything else is usually too deep for the fukwits employed to respond to roadside breakdowns 24/7.

What you want, what you really, really want, is a get you & your car/bike home service.

Knowing what I know, I really cannot understand how anyone can still be daft enough to fall for the false promises of your RAC & AA.

Just about everyone I know in this industry subscribes to Autoaid for those occasions you cannot sort it out yourself.

I'm sure that Marm will love to hear you discource on the subject.

Recovery is just to get you to a garage.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:41 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

All 32 bikes have individual breakdown policies and that's how you've got so much experience of investing in vehicle recovery companies?

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:14 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I'm sure that Marm will love to hear you discource on the subject.

Recovery is just to get you to a garage.

And which garage would Sir like to go to? His local & trusted source of spanner wizardry . . . Or the garage that knows they have his underpants off & both of his precious testicles in the palm of their hands?

Are you actually capable of thinking along the lines that are anywhere remotely close to the lines of a right thinking person???

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:22 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way back from dropping a Green Flag recovery customer in Rotherham I pulled into Woodall services 'cos it was gone 4am & I had been on the job for 14+hrs.

Just about to get my head down for a power nap & there's this little tap on my door . . .

He was in the AA (like a twat) & on-route from Berwick on Tweed to Northampton on their infamous 'relay' system.

"what time did you call 'em out mate?"

"I broke down at 9.00am yesterday morning".

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used recovery 5 times.

1) generator failed. Battery filled up with electricity and advised not to use lights so the battery can power the ignition until I was home. Rode it home

2) throttle cable snapped. Recovered to house within 3 hours. You cant get a new throttle cable for an fz 750.

3) complete electrical failure. I dismantled the bike because I knew how to take it apart and recovery found and fixed the problem. In the dark. Rode it home.

4) oil seal failed on the oil filter cover. Breakdown guy turned his van inside out 5trying to find one that could fit. Eventually recovered home by midnight.

5) punctured tyre re covered home within 2 hours.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:54 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Jack is a major £££investor in a vehicle recovery Co' with very many contracts & you can either take the advice or leave it & do your own thing

You are BJG Solutions and I claim my five ponds.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:35 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an insight incase some people don't think it's worth moaning about things.......

As said above RAC quoted me £239 renewal for myself, wifie and youngest daughter for everything in any vehicle. (I said a different figure earlier, this one is correct).

So I phoned them up in rant mode, didn't get more than a few sentences into my wonderful speech when the lady said words to the effect of 'we didn't include your loyalty bonus'. Yeah right love. Rolling Eyes

Upshot was she offered me the same conditions for £120 quid for 15 months. A saving of £119.

Ridiculous. It shows how much they take people for mugs.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1