Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sell the Car & buy a BIKE??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:30 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Sell the Car & buy a BIKE?? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am 34yrs old and have been lucky enough to own a car since I was 17. However, with a change in career and access to my wife's car, i am seriously considering a near life long dream of owning a motorbike. Which makes me very excited!!

To add some context, I work from home and therefore my riding would mostly involve infrequent journeys, typically on motorways for <2hrs each way, every few weeks. I can walk to my local shops and i'm unlikely to ever go on short (less than 12mile) rides. Besides what i've just said, I mainly want a bike to go on adventures with. I'm not an adrenaline junkie but i've always wanted to experience life and live it!

My best friend has a BMW R1200 GS Adventure and having been on it as passenger, I am certain it's the bike I would eventually end up on (after learning and building experience on a smaller bike). I'm 6ft 2" and drive a Volvo, I want a big, safe and solid bike. I also want to go touring on the bike and take it up into the mountains for camping trips.

The question is, would I be mad swapping my car for a bike. Has anyone else done it? I would still have access to my wife's car where needed but what advice would you give to someone wanting a bike for all year round (all weather) riding?

I am grateful for any advice given.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the car then the choice would be mad.

If you don't need the car then the choice would not be mad.

Your bike choice is Gay.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing two and a half hours motorway journeys (thus five hours motorway riding for the day) every few weeks until lockdown happened. You've got to be in the mood for it, that's the best I can say for it. It's not like a car, which, compared to a bike, is more like the train or a coach. Also, you set off in fine weather, then you're 90 miles further along and it's pissing down and cold. That's *never* fun.

A GS would probably be amongst the best choices for such bobbins - it'll be spacious and comfy, for one thing.

Certainly get a bike. You can always sell it if you're not into it. Most people are though - even if only for a few years. I don't quite get why you're not going down some sort of compromise route though, where you buy an affordable car and an affordable bike, so you've got change to insure and run both. GS can push 20k iirc. That's a lot of bike by anyone's reckoning.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

Your bike choice is Gay.

Can you expand on what makes the bike choice 'gay'?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:

nope

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to BCF banter Wink

As you'll find out, the GS carries a certain "image" in some parts of the biking community - some are more vocal about this than others.

If you have access to "a" car for those times only four wheels will do, then go for it. Try other bikes though; you're likely mesmerised by the concept of biking and the one you've experienced will feel fantastic, but it's all relative - there are loads of bikes in every shape and size. Serious off-roading and carrying stuff? I'd rather an Africa Twin. You're tall enough for one too.

Welcome anyway! Thumbs Up

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:13 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I was doing two and a half hours motorway journeys (thus five hours motorway riding for the day) every few weeks until lockdown happened. You've got to be in the mood for it, that's the best I can say for it. It's not like a car, which, compared to a bike, is more like the train or a coach. Also, you set off in fine weather, then you're 90 miles further along and it's pissing down and cold. That's *never* fun.

A GS would probably be amongst the best choices for such bobbins - it'll be spacious and comfy, for one thing.

Certainly get a bike. You can always sell it if you're not into it. Most people are though - even if only for a few years. I don't quite get why you're not going down some sort of compromise route though, where you buy an affordable car and an affordable bike, so you've got change to insure and run both. GS can push 20k iirc. That's a lot of bike by anyone's reckoning.

Interesting thought regarding change of weather over long journeys. Did you enjoy those long journeys?

Main reason I don't need to compromise is that I have access to my wife's car if required. I don't 'need' a car and bike, although i completely accept that is the best situation. Regarding the compromise question, I would rather wait until I can have what I want than compromise. 99% of journeys in my car are with just me in it, hence why getting a a bike should work logistically.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other thing; how capacious is your wife's car? Do you ever need to carry big stuff? In my case my wife has a supermini and refuses to get anything larger, so I still have my car to carry big stuff about, whereas if she'd get an estate I'd probably ditch my car.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Your bike choice is Gay.

It's the trendy thing to have, which for some of us makes it just behind cruisers in the arseless chaps with lashings of lube stakes.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:20 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Welcome to BCF banter Wink

As you'll find out, the GS carries a certain "image" in some parts of the biking community - some are more vocal about this than others.

If you have access to "a" car for those times only four wheels will do, then go for it. Try other bikes though; you're likely mesmerised by the concept of biking and the one you've experienced will feel fantastic, but it's all relative - there are loads of bikes in every shape and size. Serious off-roading and carrying stuff? I'd rather an Africa Twin. You're tall enough for one too.

Welcome anyway! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the heads up re GS image. I'll investigate..

Africa Twin sounds interesting. I'll check it out - thanks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that a GS is the last bike I'd want for adventures on mountain roads. Unless by adventures you mean regular attempts to try to pick the damn thing up when you've dropped it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I want an adventure bike but I'll never go off-road."

"I want an SUV but I'll never go off-road."

Does that help?

That and BMW remove the machine-souls of their bikes at the factory, the horror Shocked

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:51 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Not to mention that a GS is the last bike I'd want for adventures on mountain roads. Unless by adventures you mean regular attempts to try to pick the damn thing up when you've dropped it.

What bike would you choose?

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:53 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
"I want an adventure bike but I'll never go off-road."

"I want an SUV but I'll never go off-road."

Does that help?

That and BMW remove the machine-souls of their bikes at the factory, the horror Shocked

I would go off-road with it and I agree about SUV's and them only ever seeing the mountainous side of a pavement.

However, what bike would you choose instead?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first, 2 hour motorway journeys are ridiculously boring on a motorcycle and you'll hate it.

What tends to happen on a bike is you say to yourself I've got to get somewhere 100 miles away and it takes you 3 hours instead of 2 in the car because you make the route interesting, then it becomes fun.

What about when it's blowing a gale, miserable cold and icy? Are you going to be up for riding your motorcycle then? What about when it's pished it down with rain for 3 days solid? It's the sort of questions you've got to ask yourself really. There's plenty that do it, but I'm glad I don't have to, I just jump in the car instead.

Some things to sort through before you make any choices:
1) You don't know if you'll actually enjoy riding a motorcycle yet. It's not for everyone, honestly, some people just don't like it when they try it. Don't go committing to a path before you've made sure it's for you.
2) Don't go making any decisions about what bike you may or may not want without having actually spent some seat time on an actual motorcycle. Your wants / needs will change massively with experience.
3) Don't forget - especially as you want an all year round biker life - that motorcycle gear isn't generally that cheap. Yes, you can get by with handmedowns and eBay specials but if you're wanting quality gear you can add a grand at least to your original spend. There are cheat ways and you'll find out what works / doesn't work for you again with experience.
4) GS's - see above; almost always owned by lifestylers rather than riders; bought on PCP on a '4000 mile a year Adventure Package' with matching luggage and textiles, then the most adventure they see is the local biker coffee spot on a Sunday morning on a dry day. You said you want to experience life and live it. Buying a GS sounds like the worst 34 year old's mid-life-crisis I ever heard of. Either KTM 1290 it or sell the car and spend every penny you get from it sniffing coke off the assholes of rinsed out hookers in your wife's sister's bed.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you want to go off road? I'd suggest being careful about doing that among the mountains - tis often a long way down Laughing

For mountain roads you want something relatively light, easy to control at slow speeds.
However, instead of that, I use a Fazer 1000 Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Sell the Car & buy a BIKE?? Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
I want a big, safe and solid bike. I also want to go touring on the bike and take it up into the mountains for camping trips.

Most bikes are pretty solid. I don't agree that a GS being bigger makes it any safer. The safety of a bike depends on the rider, other road users, road conditions, visibility, preparation, and lots of different things. There is nothing around you to protect you from impact. If you get hit the severity of injury will depend on the trajectory and force of the impact, and the resulting mechanism of injury.

Quote:
what advice would you give to someone wanting a bike for all year round (all weather) riding?

It depends on your budget. Winter causes a lot of wear and tear on any bike, and results in increased maintenance requirements.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Oh, you want to go off road? I'd suggest being careful about doing that among the mountains - tis often a long way down Laughing

For mountain roads you want something relatively light, easy to control at slow speeds.

Most modern sport tourers are comfortable, easy to manage, eat miles and probably have more ability than me (and the average rider) where performance is concerned.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:39 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay paraphrasing Chickenstrip wrote:

However, for mountain roads, I'd use a GSX-S1000F:

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Most modern sport tourers are comfortable, easy to manage, eat miles and probably have more ability than me (and the average rider) where performance is concerned.

Are you sure my post is the one you're replying to? Confused
For mountain adventures, I don't consider performance to be of overriding concern, except you want something that'll pull well up steep hills.
However, there are some very good fast mountain roads I've ridden where it is useful, but too much can quickly become a liability if you don't stay within your own limits.
Still, depends on what one means by adventures I suppose. Flying off the side of a mountain at speed I'd say would certainly fit the category, if only a very short adventure, and probably your last Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:48 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you describe a fazer as?

Fairing? Check.
Engine out of a race rep/hooligan? Check
Doesnt cripple you? Check.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fairing? Check.

Yes, but it's probably not the best bike for mountain roads. What it is, is a great all-rounder. I'm well used to them, so I can manage it in all road situations.
But then, mountain roads are greatly variable. For e.g., the southern half of the Route Napoleon is a great, sweeping fast road, which a sports bike would be good on. A sports bike certainly wouldn't be my first choice for the Hardknott Pass though.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 09 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
wr6133 wrote:

Your bike choice is Gay.

Give me a kiss and I'll tell you.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
However, what bike would you choose instead?

I tear about the City on a Honda Rebel - probably the last person you should ask Wink

What you probably want is to just get a bike, any bike, maybe even a BMW and ride about a bit for a few months and come back to us with your discoveries.

Personally I haven't got the mindset for long motorway hauls regardless of which bike. Thankfully going to Cornwall the M3 runs out a quarter of the way and then it's much better Smile

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:15 - 10 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Fairing? Check.

Yes, but it's probably not the best bike for mountain roads. What it is, is a great all-rounder. I'm well used to them, so I can manage it in all road situations.
But then, mountain roads are greatly variable. For e.g., the southern half of the Route Napoleon is a great, sweeping fast road, which a sports bike would be good on. A sports bike certainly wouldn't be my first choice for the Hardknott Pass though.

I know the Lakes very well and of course, that includes the Hardknott Pass among others. Generally speaking, what sized engine bike would you recommend for decent rides up those roads? Would the F750GS be suitable? From what i've read, that could be a great starting bike for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4