Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Naked bikes in the winter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Naked bikes in the winter Reply with quote

Hey folks,
I am in that interesting situation of needing a new bike. I previously had a CBR650F and really liked it so am considering a second hand CBR650F again, CBR650R or possibly something like GSX-S 750. I'd be interested to hear any suggestions of bikes I can look at.
I ride every day, about 45 minutes to work and same again back, mostly motorway. Am I going to regret a bike without fairings? What are your experiences? I know it's going to be 2 degrees, dark and raining some mornings. My CBR650F with heated grips and good winter gear has been awesome so far.
Other criteria: I like a bit of a sporty feel to a bike. I don't want it to be too expensive in case something happens to it. It needs to be ok for a pillion.
Incidentally my old bike was written off due to blundered theft, not due to any road incident!
Anyway, throw bike ideas at me so I can enjoy the best sort of shopping!

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used to do a 70 mile commute in the winter on the bike and the only thing that made it bearable was handlebar muffs, they may look stupid, but my hands were always toasty warm and dry.

As for the style of bike, I did it on a half faired CBF 1000, so I'm definitely biased towards a faired bike. The one big downside to having a faired bike in the bad weather is if you drop it, so I would definitely recommend crash protection such as crash bungs.

Hope that helps Thumbs Up

ಠ_ಠ

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a daily commute of around 30-40 minutes on mainly motorway. I recently had a courtesy bike, an MT-07 and compared to the ST it was an absolute freezing cold pain on the motorway.

So yes, a fairing does make a difference!

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
The one big downside to having a faired bike in the bad weather is if you drop it, so I would definitely recommend crash protection such as crash bungs.

I was glad I put crash bungs on my previous bike when it fell over in the wind. I will definitely do so on the next bike I get.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbis do handguards for road bikes that don't look terrible and help to keep rain and chill off well. Mrs k had then on er6 and was happy. I like the gsxs750 (had a gsr750 same bike)and it works well.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:17 - 11 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Acerbis do handguards for road bikes that don't look terrible and help to keep rain and chill off well.

I'll check them out, thanks! I never used hand guards before because they look so clunky but hey if they stop the burning-palm, freezing knuckles then why not!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:11 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have no fairing on the Snarley and no visor. ( 🙄 )
Even I found myself doing a search on plug-in heated gloves yesterday 😋
Just for Big Trips, like down to Shaftesbury or Maidstone (my two current main journeys).
No point for just buzzing round town, though.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For simplicity and price nothing beats muffs, they look crap but they work. You can always escalate from there too and add heated grips as well. Who doesn't like sticking their hand in nice warm muff? Laughing

Considered a GSXS1000F? Marjay on this forum has one and seems impressed. Full fairing, GSXR derived motor and they seem to sell at tempting prices. Litre bikes make lovely commuters, bags of grunt in any gear means you can basically ride them lazy when doing the half asleep morning run.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy proper troos and a jaikit.
Preferably something waterproof/breathable.

Base layer (merino wool works best but ££)

I used R1200GS for four of five years winter summer never noticed any issues with weather.

You just get less fatigued on a faired bike.
i.e. it take less effort to sit on a faired bike as the wind that tries to push you off is diverted around you.
The cold will just be cold though.
Some rain and shite will deflect too.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Hornchurch to Tunbridge Wells and back every day on a naked Honda NTV600 Revere, right through the middle of a particularly nasty winter in 2009.

I had no heated grips, no muffs, and shitty leaking handed down bike gear.

The bike had 73,000 miles on it when I bought it (for £300), and was way way way higher by the end of the winter, although the speedo died at some point so I never knew the exact final mileage. I'd ran it out of oil twice, and crashed on ice twice, and it still refused to die.

What is possible and what you actually will enjoy doing are two incredibly different things.

I'm no longer a cash strapped teenager, freshly moved out of home and struggling to make ends meet, and so I would not choose to do it again.

I'd advise a fairing.

edited NTV mileage

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
For simplicity and price nothing beats muffs, they look crap but they work. You can always escalate from there too and add heated grips as well. Who doesn't like sticking their hand in nice warm muff? Laughing

I can't argue with that! 😊
To everyone advising me to get the warm gear and so on; I've already got excellent waterproof jacket and trousers, double merino base layer on the really cold days, etc. On my previous bike I was never too cold. I had heated grips and that will be the first thing I put on any new bike.
I'm probably going to go for the CBR650R. There are loads out there with low mileage.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm firmly in the muff camp. With some.tucano Urbano muffs and heated grips my hands stay warm riding all day. Well worth it IMO. I had to turn my grips to the 40% mark today as my hands were too warm, even the lowest setting would.have been fine.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 01:06 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bike with a fairing and not a silly narrow fairing but a full size barn door. Just had a work mate swap from an Integra to a 700 Deauville and he loves it, lot less tired after riding 200 miles+ a day.
Saying that if you have the correct gear which most don't the bike is less relevant than people think as a 45 minute ride is less stressing than a nine hour day riding.

Heated grips in isolation are useless, you need a big pair of Tucano furry muffs. The alternative for both is to get a set of the new Kappa heated muffs which are rather nice and about the same price of the muffs and grips and a lot less bother to fit.

Still amazes me that so many riders here on BCF don't use heated clothing, its been around for a decade, is very reliable and reasonably priced.
Heated jackets are wonderful things which no one believes until they try one. I get to ride in a t-shirt and jacket with no liner year round and never get cold. Keis or Gerbing are the jackets of choice at the moment. Warm and safe if you have the money.
Heated grips are bulky and a bitch to connect up with all your gear on, they're also not needed if you have the muffs and heated jacket. There are no Goretex 12v heated gloves available.

Pro-shell Goretex will keep you dry and the rain just runs off it so you don't get soaked through and don't lose heat from transpiration.

Military Goretex boots for the feet.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride throughout and my hack for work is an ER6n.

My commute is less than 10 mins, so I've never gone down the heated jacket route.

Though I do have heated grips and Tucano muffs.

I do have access to a hose at work and when appropriate I rinse of the salt and I use FS365. I also smear the swing arm area in grease.

Ohh i have engine bars also. (Steep hills and snow don't mix).

Tbh I'm too old for this crxp and wish I could afford a 2nd car.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
I ride throughout and my hack for work is an ER6n.

I've been borrowing my friend's ER6N while I sort out a new bike. (I don't have a car).
It's been good so far, although it feels less stable in strong side gusts (Severn Bridge) than the CBR650F did. That might just be down to me not being used to it. The wind protection is good. With heated grips it covers long motorway journeys without me feeling cold.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was commuting 10 miles on my ER5 through the winter, my main two gripes were cold hands and then eventually cold feet. I didn't actually feel that any of the rest of me suffered particularly. I reckon heated gloves and handguards would be an effective combo (I had thick gloves and heated grips, but thumbs always got cold).
Lance Beinstrong This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a GSX-S 750 (Actually a GSR-750 but it's the same animal). It's got an aftermarket taller screen on the front which helps. Only really notice the breeze on it when I'm well past 90 (on the track of course).

For commuting it's a pretty decent bike, enough power to have a good laugh when you want, but easy enough to handle without thinking about it it, and small enough to flick between traffic when it's busy.

Only downside for me is lack of adjustable suspension (other than preload). Coming from GSXRs and Fireblades, it's a bit of a pisser, but for normal commuting it's ok Thumbs Up

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
I've got a GSX-S 750

I looked in to insurance costs for GSX-S 750 and they were sky high for me unless I exclude "riding other bikes".
So I'm buying a used CBR650R, picking up tomorrow.
I checked my insurance quote online. Very reasonable with my current insurer. So I phoned them to add my new bike to the policy but their underwriters won't touch it. *WHAT?!* They guy I spoke to said they use different underwriters for adding a bike compared to new quotes and recommended I buy a new policy so they can fleece me for both.
So I bought a new policy with the same company. Still better than going elsewhere. Still cheaper than GSX-S 750.
Weird. But now I have a faired bike and it already has heated grips so I'm going to be toasty and happy again.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest one of the best winter hacks out there is a gen 1 Fazer 1000, or gen 2 Fazer 600. Does exactly what I need it to do, given that my toy is an R1. Might be too late for you, but others might be in your position.

Loads of space under the seat for all your accessories and if you wanted to fit a relayed switch and junction box for your heated grips, you wouldn't have any issues.

Plenty of mid range torque to lazily cruise in 6th and pillion comfort is sublime. Sure it might only have a bikini fairing, but if you switch that out for a touring screen, most of the wind and rain will deflect off you.

I've got to say that back to back with my 07 R1, the Fazer is a much more accomplished road bike! It'll hustle and scratch. I'd argue that on B roads, I'm a lot smoother and quicker on the Fazer than the R1 due to the gearing and midrange. Suspension is more compliant and has never left me wanting. On motorways and keeping to sensible speeds, I'd be getting 180 miles until the fuel light comes on - 20L tank is a godsend. 200 miles to the tank if chancing it.

Used it for 3 years and put 20k miles on it (needed a replacement engine after I inadvertantly turned it into an air cooled engine due to a sudden terminal issue with the cooling system and blew it up).

You can find good 30k milers for about £2500 and generally tend to be well looked after.

Oh as for winter kit. Stick a kidney belt if you don't run/refuse to run heated clothing. I'm also looking for the neoprene sleeves for the levers. It's such a pain having cold fingers every time you try to meter the clutch in heavy traffic when it's less than 5°C
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1