BMW

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: BMW Reply with quote

Hi,

What do you guys think of BMW as a brand?

I know so many people that diss them. Is it the stereotype 50 year old middle class man on a GS. Taken up riding because he can't get it up anymore?

My mate wants a S1000XR and I told him he doesn't really want it because it is a BMW. I don't know why I think like this. Would love a S1000RR they don't count as a BMW.

Is it to do with the cars? Is everyone that drives a BMW a prick? (I used to have an old M3, so I am that prick).

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really buy into the brand but I do ride a BMW because I liked the bike.

I have to say, fit and finish of it are first class but they should be since it's a £12k or so bike new. Mechanically, however, it's a bit loooolz since it gets through a fair bit of oil (if I were going on a bit of a tour I'd be taking at least a litre with me...) which is absolutely ridiculous given it's the same boxer that's in the GS. Adventure bike that can't do a couple of thousand miles without carrying spare oil around Laughing And they make that topping up thing difficult with a ridiculous 'anti-tamper' filler cap. Stupid as can be.

It's also a bike that has an accessory catalogue that includes a surfboard holder Rolling EyesLaughing Good job I'm not image conscious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd happily have a BMW. I've considered a GS before as it would suit a lot of my riding pretty well I reckon. The price and potential for expensive failures are what has put me off previously.

I don't really care about the brand or their image, if I like a bike and how it rides I'd have one. Unless the particular brand had a reputation for poor parts availability or particularly atrocious reliability of course.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:34 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1000 isn't an old man BMW Ewan and Charlie wannabe bike!

You should be encouraging him. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really like the old boxers. I also like the K-series flat-4 fuel injected tourers they made in the 80s. Nothing they (or, perhaps, any company) produce today has any draw for me. I don't know about general impressions of the brand, but for a long time I think BMW Motorrad was such a completely independent division of BMW AG that it had its own corporate culture, and this is an important reason why they were able to manufacture all those legendary steel machines before and after the war. I don't think that's the case any more. As bikes, they (the new ones) just don't hold any attraction for me. I don't think it's anything to do with the people who ride them or even about perceptions of the brand itself. It's just twilight zone ICE tech - too far removed from a world I can legit say I even slightly recognise and understand. But then all manufacturers make bikes like that now. So, I'm indifferent.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make some nice bikes. Arry's R-nine looks absolutely stunning in his pictures. I'll even begrudgingly say the big GS isn't a bad bike, the one I've ridden I couldn't really pick fault with based on 20 minutes on Tarmac. It's the giant panniers covered in stickers of places they've never been crowd that the things seem to attract annoy me. Those that are renting a fantasy Charlie McEwan lifestyle that they will try to engage you in conversation about at a burger van, when all you can think is "feck off I just want to eat this sodding burger not listen to your never going to happen fantasy about riding your nazi barge to Mongolia".

Most people annoy me Laughing they are just a subset that particularly annoy me.

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked my BMWs. Although I'd say compared to Jap bikes they aren't nearly as robust, but not that far off. Jap bikes like my Yamahas were completely and utterly bulletproof and never missed a beat.

R6 nothing ever happened to it in 22,000 miles from new.

Had to overly bodge the positive terminal on the 2016 S1000RR's battery to make sure it was tight at around 8k because it won't actually run without the battery connected (does all sorts weird things like bogging down, not revving past 3k, speedo going haywire). Then it developed an engine oil leak around 15k miles which was very disappointing.

S1000RR 2020 ended up with about 5k miles on it from new, cracked it's own shark-fin fairing on the right side out of nowhere, had weird engine cut-out issues, lumpy cold start, electronics extremely intrusive (I say this because with everything completely turned off, it would not wheelie in 3rd gear or above and this was tried in parallel to an R1 which could be wheelied in 5th gear by the same guy), vibratey mirrors to the point it was kind of meaningless having them, and at 5,000 miles the coil pack on cylinder 3 shit itself and had to be replaced under warranty. There was quite a list with that bike, and it was shocking considering it was a brand new 2020 bike. Service from non-franchised dealerships was shocking too.

Both RRs were absolutely incredible on track though so I'll probably get an M1000RR for track when I'm back to riding.

I'm thinking of getting a Jap sumo or R1 for the road though because those R1s wheelie like an animal and that's lots of fun.

Edit: Rode a GS850, RnineT, and a 1000XR before. They're all great bikes. Do love the electronic suspension adjustment on the GS, RnineT was ridiculous fun especially slapping the throttle open in 1st and 2nd and having it belt your front wheel up into the air all choppy-like. XR was alright, bit cumbersome though.

I don't think I like electronic suspension offered by BMW overall though. My R6 had unmatched handling once the suspension was set up.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I ride a BMW 1200RS - IMHO highly underrated sports tourer - which I totally love. Certainly wouldn't have a GS for all sorts of reasons.

arry wrote:
Mechanically, however, it's a bit loooolz since it gets through a fair bit of oil (if I were going on a bit of a tour I'd be taking at least a litre with me...) which is absolutely ridiculous given it's the same boxer that's in the GS. Adventure bike that can't do a couple of thousand miles without carrying spare oil around

IIRC yours is an R nine T? Isn't the oil consumption issue related to it being air-cooled? A mate who has one also complains about that; my own boxer engine (liquid cooled and the same as on modern GS's) doesn't sip a drop between services.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW have never made a bike I want except the K1600GTL. I'd have one tomorrow except for the fact they are upwards of 20 grand and for that money I'd rather have a GoldWing.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 12 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big BMW tourers are classy but very big, too big for me.

Got me thinking about the S1000RR, could trade my bike in for a second hand one hmm Laughing . Apparently not just best on the track but road as well.

I can just imagine nipping to the shops in the Goldwing, love them though.

Love all bikes except the non bike things with the two front wheels. Also can't be doing with choppers, again three wheels.

I like bubble cars with three wheels, were they not made by Germans?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: BMW Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Hi,
What do you guys think of BMW as a brand?

i don`t Rolling Eyes

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

04 GS Brake Modulator crashed at 7k. My fault for not having BMW extended warranty.
06 GS no real issues.

10 K1300 all the toys. Last GS was parted for that) Paint fell off all metal parts. My fault for not having BMW extended warranty and I used the wrong shampoo. (Aye, that's what the fat cunt at the Glasgow dealer told BMW. 🙄)

10 S1000RR. No issues except the sump dissolved at 5k. My fault for using it on the road.

They do what they say on the tin but consider purchasing the BMW extended warranty. It's as expensive AF but peace of mind.
And you can quote my history to any BMW sales Muppets. 👍

I would never buy another BMW bike for all of the above and could not recommend anyone buy one without their prohibitively expensive BMW extended warranty.

The K1300 and S1000RR are still mine and still go like fcku though. 😎
Probably tick more or as many boxes as any of todays bikes barr the cosmetic appeal.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

IIRC yours is an R nine T? Isn't the oil consumption issue related to it being air-cooled? A mate who has one also complains about that; my own boxer engine (liquid cooled and the same as on modern GS's) doesn't sip a drop between services.

Yeah, R NineT. I think the oil consumption being related to being air cooled would be plausible if my 1950's tech Enfield burned a bit too, but since it doesn't and it gets more of a thrashing than the BMW does - it's....irritating to say the least. It was my understanding that most of the GS's were the same engine but they've only recently gone to partial water cooling? Not that up on them TBH. Never interested me.

wr6133 wrote:
Arry's R-nine looks absolutely stunning in his pictures

Cheers dude Thumbs Up It is a pretty bike, in that odd sort of way that birds that aren't fit by poster girl standards but are quirky looking enough that you definitely would are still pretty girls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put 60k miles on my 2004 R1100S and I think it's been topped up between services perhaps 4 or 5 times.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
I've put 60k miles on my 2004 R1100S and I think it's been topped up between services perhaps 4 or 5 times.

According to the interwebs they get better with age. Mine is on something like 6k miles now - get to 10k and things might be better.... but in the meantime it's a ballache topping up the oil every other decent ride. I'd say it's doing ~800ml per 1000 miles. Problem is the sight glass is only ~500ml top to bottom.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:09 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's almost on a par with the appetite of the Exup Valdez.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
That's almost on a par with the appetite of the Exup Valdez.

I know; it's the only thing that puts me off the bike. I have mentioned it to BMW so that if it runs out of warranty next year and something's wrong then it's back in their court. The service technician said 'it's normal mate'.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with a exup was to use 25/50 rather than 20/40. The trouble is the exup valdez fucked it's big end not long after I started to use it but my very experienced mechanic said it probably wasn't the cause as it was a known solution to the excessive oil usage that exups are reknown for and wasn't known ifor causing engine failure.

He has his own fzr (pre exup) and actually bought mine for the special cams to put in his own so he knows them very well.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 20:02 - 13 Dec 2020; edited 1 time in total

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
.... but in the meantime it's a ballache topping up the oil every other decent ride. I'd say it's doing ~800ml per 1000 miles. Problem is the sight glass is only ~500ml top to bottom.

2002 R1150R, 37600 miles: Oil consumption dropped dramatically after I replaced the O rings on the filler cap and filler cap adapter. I had noticed slight weeping around the filler cap when I was riding; never thought much about it because it looked so insignificant. Apparently, it was leaking way more than I thought. Oil consumption dropped from 270ml/1000 miles to 160 ml/1000 miles. Castrol GTX 20W-50.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

2002 R1150R, 37600 miles: Oil consumption dropped dramatically after I replaced the O rings on the filler cap and filler cap adapter. I had noticed slight weeping around the filler cap when I was riding; never thought much about it because it looked so insignificant. Apparently, it was leaking way more than I thought. Oil consumption dropped from 270ml/1000 miles to 160 ml/1000 miles. Castrol GTX 20W-50.

Cheers, that's useful. But I guess short of going off into a technical discussion it's probably quite an interesting take on the OP's original intention, in that we buy BMW's because they're supposed to be the bizzle and yet we're burning oil or leaking it out of a 50p O ring Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:33 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

People love to knock them but my BMW has lasted twice as long as any other bike I've had on my London commute. I got no complaints about it in the grand scheme.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Last edited by jeffyjeff on 18:46 - 13 Dec 2020; edited 1 time in total

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
... But I guess short of going off into a technical discussion it's probably quite an interesting take on the OP's original intention, in that we buy BMW's because they're supposed to be the bizzle and yet we're burning oil or leaking it out of a 50p O ring Laughing

I suppose that's true to an extent. I've always been amused by the number of riders on the "adventure bike" bandwagon. The only GS rider I know personally got one because he is 6'4" with a 40" inseam. The GS is one bike that fits him comfortably.

The main reason I ride a 19 year old roadster is because it was the only bike I could afford that ticked all the boxes for me. It is heavy and it clatters, and in my opinion, inferior to the japanese bikes that I have owned and ridden. But it's what I've got so that's what I ride.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
People love to knock them but my BMW has lasted twice as long as any other bike I've had on my London commute. I got no complaints about it in the grand scheme.

I do hope to be won round to mine. I love to ride it. The boxer engine is wonderfully charismatic, flexible and makes a nice noise. The weight of the thing belies the way it rides and I haven't felt as at home on a bike for a long time.

If it stops going through its sight glass every other ride I'll be over the moon with it.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
If it stops going through its sight glass every other ride I'll be over the moon with it.

Have you been on this site? https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/ . I have found the BMWST forum to be a valuable source of technical information. FWIW, when I first acquired my oilhead at 20600 miles, I used to take it out for full-throttle sprints out in the hills. I did this regularly for about my first 5000 miles of ownership; the idea was to elevate combustion pressure and get the piston rings to seat better. 18000 miles later, my bike definitely drinks less than most boxers. Also, (at least on the oilhead models) there is a drain plug on the lower left side of the airbox (1/4 turn plastic plug, sealed with an O-ring). Opening that drain will reveal if the oil is actually burning in combustion, or if it blowby is forcing oil up into the airbox.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2