Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How Much Has Covid Cost You So Far???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:21 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: How Much Has Covid Cost You So Far??? Reply with quote

Sat down as 'Chairman of the Bored' with the various stakeholders today & we accepted the accountants report that so far we've lost just slightly north of £1.5million since January 2020.

£Money is just a number on piece of paper.

No' 1 Son is pretty much driving the business these days, & my natural instinct to take back control during this unprecedented nonsense was very delicately & very skillfully managed away from me.

This news probably won't make you happy if you lost your job recently & can't put food on your table, or if you never bothered to get a job in the first place & Covid is what your God sent you to blame for your inadequacies.

Most of the sum is interest payments on project finance & only payable by companies that can easily be dissolved in the near future. Yet we won't, just like No' 1 son has looked after the staff that are important to us, the tenants, both commercial & private & the various riff raff that depend on us for their living, we won't rob anyone of what is rightfully theirs.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:16 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobcat.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:52 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write code....

Smug of Surrey Wink

Seriously though, I am a bit down on last year's earnings but I easily balanced that out by selling a bike recently. Imagine what I could do with 32!

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 07:37 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually hasn't cost me anything really, if anything it's saved me on travel because I work from home now. Although other family members have struggled due to furlough/loss of work so I have been helping to pay their bills too so I guess that's been a bit of a hit, but nothing unmanageable.

Plus I'm banned from riding and sold the bike so insurance and running costs are no longer a liability.

I'm considering jacking in the 9-5 when work asks me to come back to the office post-covid tbh because trading crypto is earning me 5x my salary every month right now. I only discovered it because I got bored whilst working from home and thought I'd give it a try.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On balance I am probably a bit better off on a daily basis, but have a longer-term hit to take. I work in a big corporate and have been working from home since March, so commuting costs have largely disappeared. It is also cheaper to feed myself at home than use the staff catering. On the down side the central heating is on constantly now along with an increased electricity bill. We haven’t used the expensive childcare activity clubs through Easter and summer holidays as they were at home with us.

The bigger effect is that the company both I and my wife work for has had a big hit - we have both survived a 25% redundancy cull but will not be receiving an annual bonus for this year - this is usually in the 15-20% range so is quite a kick in the knackers, although not unsurprising or unexpected. The share price of the company has also nosedived and share-based schemes and incentives are a big part of our overall package so for now the nest egg looks a bit shrivelled.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a substantial pay rise, a bonus and we have never been so busy.

Maybe you need to sell 32 bikes to inject some cash?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
I've had a substantial pay rise, a bonus and we have never been so busy.

Maybe you need to sell 32 bikes to inject some cash?

And 32 acres? Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved fortunes. ~£250 a month for me to commute into town, and similar costs for wife to run the car back and forth to work so we're a good £500 a month better off without trying. In the city I'd be doing at least £250 a month in beer. At home I'm doing a few tins on the Friday and Saturday nights of the weekend.

Meantime I switched jobs in the middle of lockdown 1.0 and the pay rise is big enough in of itself even without the pension contributions which are phenomenal. Can't say it's down to Covid but certainly the market conditions were a helper on the negotiation side.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost a huge amount, purely in share prices nosediving.

Saying that, it's on paper and I had no intentions of cashing it in as it's for wifey and kids when I pop my mortal coil.

Hopefully in a few years the price of my shares should recover.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, it's only a loss/gain when you sell.

I've saved money on the commute, no real difference on the heating/electricity since wifey is retired and would be home anyway. Probably spent more on snacks though.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid has cost me thousands in lost work opportunities, particularly during the summer months.
However it has also meant that I haven’t had to go to work Very Happy Thumbs Up .

I fugking hate working, cos I’m bone idle.

No money to spend on ‘stuff’ , it’s just proved that I really don’t need half the ‘stuff’ I end up buying.

I’ve managed to get by on a lesser income brought about by this Covid shite.
It’s the social side of this pandemic that has bothered me more than the reduction in income.
Not seeing family as much and not being able to be with friends is the biggest arse-ache for me .

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved a load here TBH. Work, and therefore income, hasn't been affected at all; however having had to cancel several bike tours and a holiday, not to mention not having been out anywhere since about January, my outgoings have been to little more then Tesco.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Not seeing family as much and not being able to be with friends is the biggest arse-ache for me .

Wise words. I've missed walking into my local, getting a welcome from everyone, and especially their dogs, and sitting in my favourite corner just people watching. What a sad life I led. Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid has cost me nothing. I mean sure, the anuall bonus at work was 1/2 of what it used to be and I had to buy some face masks. I also drive my car ever day instead of taking the public transport because the office where they sell long-term fare/tickets was closed at the time I needed to prolong my public transport pass card. Pay as you go, for every ride, is way too expensive and gets even more expensive than my driving the car to do the commute (1.9 TDi has amazing MPG).

Perhaps during the home office days, I burnt a slightly bit more electricity, having the PC powered on all day long, but I doubt I'll notice the difference when paying the bill. A modern PC doesn't require that much of power to run Word, Excel and gmail.

Long story short, covid has cost me nothing.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down 12k thanks to the Mrs being made redundant. She wasn't with the last company for very long so her pay off wasn't great. I on the other hand have been working more hours from.the very beginning for no extra pay, I'm in the middle of ripping out my bathroom after discovering a small leak has destroyed the floor over the last few years and I'm having to cancel my wedding because we now for a second time because the work the house needs is eating too much of the budget.

Meanwhile all my.mates are complaining about being bored whislt earning 80% salary for being at home and buying new gaming PCs, etc. because half of them still live with their parents and thus have no real outgoings. I'm becoming bitter.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It cost me a few quid as my work slumped. On the upside, I was able to spend time doing things in the garden that I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, so swings and roundabouts...

Working as a part-time postie this Christmas has helped though - not just the money as the pay isn't great, but in terms of my physical and mental condition. Walking 10 miles a day, four days a week in all weathers really concentrates the mind on what is important in life Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:52 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved thousands. Zero issue for me. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:09 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved thousands, never been so busy.

Still sucks. I'd rather have had the oppertunity to spend the money and been less busy.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird thread Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably saved money, same as a lot I’ve no commuting costs, not sure our gas/electric has risen that much.

Lack of restaurants has saved me some cash, same with other outings.

Missed our holiday in October so saved on spending cash (re-arranged so will cost me eventually), same may apply in Feb if we don’t leave tier 3.

Defo spending less on the weekly shop as we’ve stuck with click and collect and now seem to buy what we will cook.

COVID-19 seems to have been kind to my household.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Weird thread Laughing

Not really. It's interesting to get a cross section of how it's affected people.

It's quite interesting that the majority on here are not really much worse off, if at all although if pension pots and investments are taken into consideration I'm sure it isn't quite so rosy.

It basically comes down to if you have kept a job or not and most on here, because they are in the higher skill levels of work rather than the labour intensive market seem to have survived ok.

I'm sure some households have been devastated and I'm really glad to see the people on BCF haven't been too badly hit.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will affect all of us when we have to pay for it... Neutral

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from Florida, Covid? What Covid? Rolling Eyes

Nothing financially, no trips to and from Blighty for me or the rellies and the missus has said her commiserations to the relatives of six of her family friends, possibly another gone last night, the youngest was an otherwise healthy ex-pupil in his forties. Shocked

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to go from 4-day rota to 5 day, which meant a 25% increase in travelling costs etc. Also took a real terms 10% pay cut (some corporate bullshit that means higher-ups can keep their bloated salaries). Still, having cleared all our debts over a year ago, the lack of stuff to do has meant we have more dosh in the bank than ever before. Which is nice. Meant I could get the ducati home and treat myself to my dream guitar.

Taking the rough with the smooth pretty much sums up our 'rona experience.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
pepperami wrote:
Stuff .

Wise words. I've missed walking into my local, What a sad life I led. Laughing

Not at all, a local and a pint with friends sounds great..

To sit with a few friends, talking bollox over a couple of pints without a stupid mask in a pub that you don’t have people freak out when you stand near them sounds very pleasant.

“Cheap beer please barmaid, I’ve not got a lot of money these days”
“Why?...well I’ve not worked for months, Covid and all that, y’know”
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3