BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How Much Has Covid Cost You So Far???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the beer - we are all so used to paying supermarket prices now that shelling out £4.50 for a pint will hurt.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:31 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pay £4.50 to sit with the lads from work and have a chat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:39 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It's quite interesting that the majority on here are not really much worse off, if at all although if pension pots and investments are taken into consideration I'm sure it isn't quite so rosy.

Although it's a great fiscal environment for borrowers. My debts could inflate/devalue into pocket change yet.

I suspect I'll be letting my mortgage drop back down to a variable rate at the end of the latest fixed period. Can't see interest rates going up any time soon. My policy of dumping what I would have been putting into a pension into my mortgage is still holding water.

Swings and roundabouts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I'd pay £4.50 to have a pint in the pub too. Its justifying doing it lots of times that will come hard...

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:10 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

I'd pay £4.50 to have a pint in the pub too. Its justifying doing it lots of times that will come hard...

Four and a half quid, blimey, what happened to the days when two quid a pint seemed eyewateringly pricey? If it's any consolation I went out Friday night...to the pub... for a pint...with the lads I work with...it was an outside venue. It was quiet and I paid 7$ for a sub-pint size mediocre porter, 5.25 in old money.

My new adopted state of South Carolina is possibly more of an ostrich with it's head in the sand, regarding covid, than the humid hell hole I've just escaped from.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what happened to the days when two quid a pint seemed eyewateringly pricey?

When I first started going to pubs at the tender age of 14 (Suffolk...), a pint cost 48p. I remember one old boy threatening to drive his tractor through the wall when it hit 50p. An ordinary weekly wage was only £50, mind...

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work has been fine. Working from home is now a thing and it's excellent (if you're an office jobby type). Haven't lost or saved money, in fact maybe it's costing me a little more as I'm at home using heat, water, food etc to a higher amount.

I changed jobs last month and when I put my CV out I was swamped with recruiters. The joys of being a programmer.

The work-from-home thing has motivated me to consider other options too, i.e. if I can work from home, then my home can be anywhere. I was recently contacted by a random American guy who wanted a freelancer for a project of his, so I'm doing that on the side. If the project goes well, I'll have ongoing work with him and can become be one of those "digital nomad" dickheads living the dream of doing the day job from snooty coffee shops in cheap exotic locales while earning a good western salary. Vietnam is looking very interesting around about now.

All thanks to covid and the work-from-home thing.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done pretty well off the Plague. Company I work for has made money hand over fist. This has led to decent bonus payouts. Working from home has probably saved me since March close to 15K business miles, also not commuting on the days I'd have been in the office saves fuel and most importantly time. Gaining a 1.5-2 hours a day of "me" time by not commuting is awesome.

I worked from home fairly regularly pre-plague so already had furniture, 2k screens, etc provided, meaning zero cost to setup home office.

Coffee now costs me loads though. We used to do weekly Viking Direct orders in the office so I had on the companies flick 2 packs of Tassimo pods a week. Now I have to pay for them myself Crying or Very sad

We've bought 2 bikes and a car this year though so that's a fair chunk of what was saved that's been spent.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:52 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is suddenly finding themselves working from home there is a tax allowance that should help towards your increased heating bills, now it has turned chilly Smile

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:16 - 14 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

My new adopted state of South Carolina is possibly more of an ostrich with it's head in the sand, regarding covid, than the humid hell hole I've just escaped from.

My memories of South Carolina are being in Charleston when a hurricane struck. I was shitting myself. Funnily enough it's much scarier on land than on a ship.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It saved me from selling my apartment in Auckland, which I was on the absolute verge of doing. So after a valuation I stopped wanting to do that, and am sitting tight instead.

Also, possibly I would have moved back to NZ/Australia by now.
Which might have seemed like a good idea a year ago, as I was horrendously nostalgic when I was last there.
But right now, although I miss my daughter like a deep wrenching hole in my heart ... I'd rather be here.

People may think that in comparison to Down Under, Britain may be a shit-hole, but its a shit-hole where nobody really pays much attention to you if you keep your head down and just crack on with your life.

In the southern hemisphere, I wouldn't have that luxury.
Had I moved back there, COVID would have cost me my liberty (such as it is Rolling Eyes )

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 15 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved me from wasting money on holidays..
Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many other posters I'm probably better off, I've continued to work throughout (IT), wife works in a supermarket and a special school, so totally unaffected also.

Kids paper round unaffected and middle son works weekends at a supermarket.

But its just crxp for so many people, so many the jobs that young people would have, like working in a bar, in pizza hut, bowling alley, cinema have all gone.

It's totally awful, my son knows he is soo lucky and so many of his mates have no work now. (You know that age, when even if you are at school/college/uni it is sooooo important for your future life to have work experience and to be able to earn your own money).

I don't know the solution, but I were my sons ages I would be totally pxxxxd off. Not only that their education has been ruined.

Eldest son at uni, hmmm well sat in my bedroom on a laptop in Teams all day.

Middle son, week on week off college. (Same son who was invited to Cambridge for 2 weeks, well that's not going to happen now, he's grades have nosed dived).

Youngest son (13), doesn't really care.

So basically, we have loads on BCF saying they are all right, because they are working from home, not going out and have got tonnes of money (me included), whilst a massive section of society is royally fuxked.

On a positive note, has anyone tried getting trades recently. They are busy.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest this country ever came to a revolution was when the soldiers came back from the Napoleonic wars to contempt and starvation.

We won't be anything like that bad but if swathes of the young in our population cannot get the basic jobs they could a year ago I can see crime rising incredibly, especially among the poor.

The trouble is, what does any government do about the job situation when we still have covid and is the retail or hospitality industries ever going to get back to pre covid levels?

People have radically changes their habits in this last year.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The closest this country ever came to a revolution was when the soldiers came back from the Napoleonic wars to contempt and starvation.

Ghost of Cromwell might argue with that Laughing Also as a Welshman I must point out the Chartists had a (failed) go.

I can't see generation snowflake revolting, the dumb gits couldn't even take a can of zippo fluid to burn a flag in the summer. Imagine if you handed them a rifle, they'd probably cry for a while, seek mental help services and then maybe use it as a dance prop for their onlyfans.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

I can't see generation snowflake revolting, the dumb gits couldn't even take a can of zippo fluid to burn a flag in the summer. Imagine if you handed them a rifle, they'd probably cry for a while, seek mental help services and then maybe use it as a dance prop for their onlyfans.

Which is exactly what 'they' want, it is what 'they' have engineered.

We are fubar as a people. We care no longer be able to define exactly what is wrong in our society.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 19 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bonus this week and my on call over Christmas is 3 x the rate it was last year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:46 - 19 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saved a load on not doing the 75 mile weekly commute.

No real additional costs, House isn't heated during the day so it's just electric for lighting, laptop, tv, gaming rig and kettle.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter is now working from home.

She is now saving 95% of her income since March. Her only expense is her board to me.

No petrol, no lunch out, claiming tax relief for working from home.

Anyone working from home has to be £££ in due to the saving on travel costs, which are no where near the cost of heating your home.

One thing Covid has done is got rid of the companies that were trading on borrowed money & time.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:44 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you all for your participation thus far, well almost all of ya'.

Now stop thinking about £monetary loss & try to imagine the various other types of loss.

How many of us will enjoy a broad selection of local restaurants to eat in when all this nonsense is done with?

How far will you have to walk to once again 'pop down t'pub' ?

Assuming they won't be joining our civil service, where are your kids gonna be working when skool kicks 'em out?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently live in such a shit area that :

1. the local restaurants extend to chippy, curryshop, kebaby, chicken shop.
2. The pub was at the end of my street but burnt down just prior to my arrival on the manor.
3. My daughter appears to be successfully cutting a swathe through the Sydney property market and disinclined (as yet) to either return to Blighty OR to provide grandchildren. I imagine when she does that they will be more likely to say "You Beaut!" than to understand how to maintain effective communication whilst engaging the use of the glottal stop. Probably any grandchildren will be surf instructors or sheep shaggers.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:40 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if it helps but did I mention that I have two granddaughters now? Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've just seen the letter the eldest wrote...

To santa merry Chrismas
can I tell you
a seecrot for
chrismas I hope
My nonna is well
I tolld MuM
chrismas is not
abat presents it is
abat famely

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never stopped working, I wasn't one of the lucky ones who got furloughed. Company still on target to hit last years numbers which is impressive considering it's all day to stay with no real big jobs landed yet - though one is in the pipeline which has been on going for years.

I worked from home half the week during lockdown 1.0, and Mrs moved in during, which meant I saved on the £75/week fuel bill Laughing that reduced to probably half.

I think if I had been furloughed I would have been in a better place mentally, as I could have easily managed on the reduced wage, and a lot less stress to boot.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're better off, and both of us have been working throughout, zero chance of Furlough. We've also realised how much crap we bought before this. We also realised just how shitty our employers were, so the missus changed her job and I'm working on it.

I'd be even happier if I had 32 bikes... Rolling Eyes

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I thank you all for your participation thus far, well almost all of ya'.

Now stop thinking about £monetary loss & try to imagine the various other types of loss.

How many of us will enjoy a broad selection of local restaurants to eat in when all this nonsense is done with?

How far will you have to walk to once again 'pop down t'pub' ?

Assuming they won't be joining our civil service, where are your kids gonna be working when skool kicks 'em out?

Ignoring the monetary thing it cost me my younger sister Alison Chandler who died on xmas eve after 24 days in ICU. Thanks to the people who gave their time and commitment to try and save her. So fuck off with your stupid posts.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3