Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG125ES4 (2005) Clutch Problems (Pushrod?)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:36 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: CG125ES4 (2005) Clutch Problems (Pushrod?) Reply with quote

Hi all,

I cam across this old thread and I thought my problem might be similar: https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/125-MOTO/CG/2004/CG125ES4/Engine/CLUTCH/17KGA401/E__0600/1/3570

I am having problems actuating my clutch after taking the engine apart and reassembling. The clutch lever has very little resistance and is not actuating the clutch no matter where I adjust it to. The clutch worked perfectly before I disassembled it so I do not believe it is the cable or lever.

I have been following the Haynes manual instructions but they make no mention of the different push road arrangement in Brazialian bikes.

I have the pushrod style shown in this parts diagram (part 9): https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/125-MOTO/CG/2004/CG125ES4/Engine/CLUTCH/17KGA401/E__0600/1/3570

I am confused how this is supposed to be installed to actuate the clutch. Is the shaft part of the pushrod supposed to be recessed into the mechanism in the right crank case cover and the flat disc pushing directly on the ball bearing inner race? This seems wrong but I can't really see how else it would go together unless I am missing another part. Based on the parts diagrams this does not appear to be the case. If the part is spun round as in the diagram (facing the other way with the shaft going through the bearing loosely), I cannot see how it would engages with the mechanism in the right cover.

Are the screws compressing the clutch springs supposed to be done up all the way? It seems when they are there is not enough travel on the pushrod when it is engages with the cover mechanism to push against the bearing.

The clutch lifter plate (8 in the diagram) does appear to be recessed further into the clutch centre than the Haynes manual shows when all the screws are done up.

Any suggestions? Am I missing a part or have I just installed it wrong?

If anyone has any better instructions or pictures that would also be great.

Thanks,

Oliver

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:15 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/zFC29CjcwIs

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
https://youtu.be/zFC29CjcwIs

Thanks for the link but the pushrod shown is this is different to the one I have.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Clutch Reply with quote

U sure you assembled the Clutch properly? Notice the one different clutch plate and where it goes. The mushroom part 9 goes into the clutch outer cover and engaged with the flat on the end of that covers clutch arm. You have a new gasket etc...centrifugal oil filter will check exploded views...yes it has a centrifugal oil filter. The mushroom part 9 is shown incorrectly in the diagram me thinks....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:14 - 17 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you remembered to fit the splined washer (part 12)?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 18 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a pic of the clutch outer cover out, and inside view?

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:45 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Pictures Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was busy with other things over Christmas. Here are the requested pictures of the clutch assembly and inside right engine cover.

https://imgur.com/a/9Sai9q9

No matter how much or little I do the bolts up that compress the clutch springs, the clutch lever does not seem to push against the springs even when adjusted all the way out. The clutch is always locked up.

Here are the assembly drawings for the clutch and the assembly mechanism:

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/125-MOTO/CG/2005/CG125ES4/Engine/CLUTCH/17KGA401/E__0600/1/3573

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/125-MOTO/CG/2005/CG125ES4/Engine/RIGHT-CRANKCASE-COVER/17KGA401/E__0500/1/3573

I presume the bolts compressing the springs must have to be done all the way up? And that I am not a piece of the pusher assembly?

The only thing I can think of is I have put something like the splined washer in the wrong place during assembly.

Any ideas?

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it apart and go through it again. Did you replace parts? Try putting the original parts back in and see if it works.

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:20 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Take it apart and go through it again. Did you replace parts? Try putting the original parts back in and see if it works.

I have not replaced any of the clutch parts. The clutch worked perfectly before I took the engine apart and I believe I have put it together in the order it came out. Does anything look missing?

I will take it apart and reassemble it again and check the order.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Blind Reply with quote

If you look at your pictures, of the clutch basket, you will see what you have done wrong😀

Let's hope u ain't broken/bent anything.

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:40 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Blind Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
If you look at your pictures, of the clutch basket, you will see what you have done wrong😀

I will take a look this evening but can I ask for a hint in case I get stuck? Wink

Much appreciated.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Eyes Reply with quote

Use your eyes, preferably stone cold
sober ones.

Just look at the pictures you have posted, of the clutch drum/basket.

Do you like fish fingers, fish don't have fingers....just have a good look.

Anything odd!

Quiet surprised no one else, or you spotted it.

Remember, looking at the pics, you can see what I see.....only my eyes are old.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Fingers Reply with quote

Spotted the mistake yet?

Anyone ?

By the way did you take the engine out and completely strip it?, Or just take off the clutch cover off and strip the clutch?

How did you get on with the centrifugal oil filter "nut"?

Also, the "mushroom" push rod thingy, that fits into the clutch cover, and "moved" by the clutch cover clutch arm, is it engaged with the "flat" or "cam" bit of the clutch cover clutch arm properly?

The mushroom should move towards the clutch drum when the clutch arm is moved forwards.

The exploded views are different from on your bike. I take it the mushroom is a good wobble free sliding fit in its hole in the clutch cover?

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:27 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Fingers Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Spotted the mistake yet?

Anyone ?

By the way did you take the engine out and completely strip it?, Or just take off the clutch cover off and strip the clutch?

How did you get on with the centrifugal oil filter "nut"?

Also, the "mushroom" push rod thingy, that fits into the clutch cover, and "moved" by the clutch cover clutch arm, is it engaged with the "flat" or "cam" bit of the clutch cover clutch arm properly?

The mushroom should move towards the clutch drum when the clutch arm is moved forwards.

The exploded views are different from on your bike. I take it the mushroom is a good wobble free sliding fit in its hole in the clutch cover?

Is it part 7 as listed in the diagram is in the wrong place?

The entire engine was apart, not jus the clutch.

Oil filter nut was tight but not too bad with the proper tool.

I believe the push rod is engaged correctly. It moves as you describe and is a precise sliding fit.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: 7 Reply with quote

Part 7, the o ring? No.

Part7, the alloy "pressure plate" let's call it, the bit with the 4 threaded towers that the 4 spring bolts go into, no.

Go and have a look at your pictures of the clutch drum/basket.

Look logically.

Do fish have fingers ? No.

What have fingers to do with a clutch ffs. May be "tangs" would be a better word.

Tangs are on files ffs, not clutches, arnt they?

Times crossword puzzle, criptic as hell and take me all day to do...

Have a good look at the clutch drum/basket, which is on the engine as seen in your pics?

See anything odd? Different somehow, wrong, not in the right place, compared to the others....there are enough of them....

It's better for you to see the mistake yourself, do you learn more so you don't make the same mistake again, rather than be told.

Just have a good look.

Last edited by bikenut on 15:19 - 05 Jan 2021; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:14 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top clutch plate is out of line with the others, which is what bikenut was getting at.

Also the mushroom thing should not be sitting proud. Push back the operating arm on the outside of the crankcase cover (as if you were operating the clutch normally) and push the mushroom down into position.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well done, what are this week's lottery numbers?

If he got this bit wrong, and stripped the engine, this thread is Gunnar break a lot of records for even on here!

osholt
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:33 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
The top clutch plate is out of line with the others, which is what bikenut was getting at.

Also the mushroom thing should not be sitting proud. Push back the operating arm on the outside of the crankcase cover (as if you were operating the clutch normally) and push the mushroom down into position.

If its only the top plate being like that he was getting at then he is very likely wrong; that's not the problem. I have already tried it with and without the last disc being offset in the basket and it makes no difference wrt actuating the clutch; that was how it came out the bike and how a lot of reassembly videos show them going together. Something do with anti-judder maybe?. I'll change it back anyway next time I take it apart to see if it changes anything. The clutch basket looks different to the one in the diagram and I am not sure why.

I agree about the mushroom sitting proud. It tends to spring back out when you take the cover off but I will check to make sure.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Plate Reply with quote

Each clutch friction plate, the plates with many fingers on its periphery, fit do the fingers fit in the clutch drum/basket parralel sided slots, not as seen by one plate, the outer one, in your picture.

You do realise that one friction plate is different to the others, yes.

It's different as it fits over the "damper sprung loaded plate" "securing ring". See the parts diagram, part 4 and 5.

Since the clutch worked ok before you took it apart, look for tell tale witness marks in the clutch drum/basket slots?

Since you completely stripped this engine, I hope you Put back all the gearbox shims etc in the right place?

If not them expect broken gears/burst c/case etc..

You have checked gear selection by hand and g/box input and output shaft end float I hope....

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under the mushroom is a round rod with a slot cut into it, which the mushroom sits in to. When the rod rotates it pushes the mushroom out, which pushes on the centre of the clutch, and allows it to release.

The problem is that when the take the mushroom out, the shaft over-rotates. Then the mushroom doesn't go back into its slot, it just sits on top of the shaft, giving a similar effect to always having the clutch lever pulled in.

From the diagram and your pictures it looks like part 9 is missing. This would a different mushroom that slots into the middle of the centre bearing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 109 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1