Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Torque box thingys

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 19 Dec 2020    Post subject: Torque box thingys Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've lost the only decent torque wrench i had, 3/8" & handy for smaller numbers so all I have left is those massive 1/2 " types with the adjustment at the bottom & imho only good for f*ck off tight wheel nuts & the like.

Seen these box things which go between ratchet & socket with a lcd display.
Cheaper than splashing out on another decent torque wrench.
Anyone tried them? Any good?

Cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 20 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it comes with a certificate of calibration from a trustworthy test lab, I'd pass. You can get a decent 3/8 drive torque wrench for 21 - 30 quid on Amazon UK. How much is the LCD torque adapter? Probably not much less.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
Unless it comes with a certificate of calibration from a trustworthy test lab, I'd pass. You can get a decent 3/8 drive torque wrench for 21 - 30 quid on Amazon UK. How much is the LCD torque adapter? Probably not much less.

Hi,
I didn't realise the were so cheap...last one I had cost around £100 But it lasted for years.
I'm guessing the calibration on those cheap ones on Amazon is just as authentic as the cheap boxes...🤔
Gives me something to think about, Thanks.

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:22 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are fussed about accuracy, it isn't difficult to do a test to see how accurate yours is.

Just make a small rig to hang a known weight at a known radius.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:04 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a calibrated torque wrench from Halfords, which happens 5o have a very definate and obvious click, for 60 quid. Good for 10 to 60 nm.

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
I'm guessing the calibration on those cheap ones on Amazon is just as authentic as the cheap boxes...🤔
Gives me something to think about, Thanks.

plus or minus 4%. That's within 1nm with the wrench set at 25nm, 2nm at 50nm, 3 at 75...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-Tools-962219-Torque-7-105Nm/dp/B01M5KCNQW/ref=psdc_1939055031_t1_B01G1EG6RY

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 22 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those square types from machine mart, but remember trying it once and not being able to figure out how to set a pre defined amount of torque to get it to beep (I think) so gave up as I didn't want to snap anything (not having thread repair kits at the time etc). I've just read the manual and its a five step process that involves pressing multiple buttons etc: sod that.

Suppose the good thing is that it displays the torque number as its applied, so could be used that way, but doesn't have a limit without being fiddled with.

Get the halfords one out, unclick and set torque.. click and tighten bolt: simple (you pull the bottom downwards then twist to set and push in again to lock).

To maintain the halfords lifetime warrenty you have to get it calibrated annually, or keep it calibrated (they tell you, or you can ask, when you buy.. depending on what till monkey sells it to you). I've never done mine because I'm not rich as fek and use it only every so often. I doubt I'll ever use to it to the extent a calibration warrents.

Sealey do a few torque wrenches that are a brand at low cost that I'd trust.. you can buy from here, or search around.

But yeah the halfords 12-60 Nm combined with the 60-300 Nm should be good enough for irregular home use. Just make a note of the position of the - mark on the dial when you take it out the box, and what number is set on the wrench, and thereafter you know how to reset it to 0 (a good habit to get into, so I'm told.. and do) after you've finished using it. IIRC the 12-60 Nm is number "2" on mine and "8" on the larger one (may differ).

Could get a used one on eBay suppose, but at least from new you know how much use it hasn't had and hasn't been dropped etc.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 22 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
reset it to 0 (a good habit to get into, so I'm told.. and do) after you've finished using it.

There is a spring inside, you should back off the tension on the spring after use. Leaving the spring compressed will eventually lead to it going out of calibration as the amount you set the wrench to does not correspond to the expected compression in the spring.

A little bit like an old vs new car coil spring - obviously the old one has been left partially compressed for a long time:

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/2/541109/Old-New_Coil_Spring.jpg

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:14 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I got a calibrated torque wrench from Halfords, which happens 5o have a very definate and obvious click, for 60 quid. Good for 10 to 60 nm.

Hi,
That sounds ideal for what I need.
Is it 3/8 or 1/2"?
The wrench I "lost" cost around £100 & was only good for up to 30nm iirc

cheers
GAZ

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Hi,
That sounds ideal for what I need.
Is it 3/8 or 1/2"?
The wrench I "lost" cost around £100 & was only good for up to 30nm iirc

cheers
GAZ

It's 3/8. I got one of them years ago. It was a good investment. Covers most bolts on a bike. The design on the current one is different to the one I have but I'm sure it's still good.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand-tools/spanners-and-wrenches/halfords-advanced-torque-wrench-model-60-488695.html

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Torque box thingys Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040215238/

Covers a wide range, has positive reviews on that site but I've never tried one. Was on the list for consideration due to wide range, but the Aldi torque wrench was about 17 quid at the time so I got that.

I can confirm accuracy of the Aldi wrench at hight torques, as it matches the number of veins popping out of my head precisely.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:06 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Torque box thingys Reply with quote

stirlinggaz wrote:
Hi all,
I've lost the only decent torque wrench i had, 3/8" & handy for smaller numbers so all I have left is those massive 1/2 " types with the adjustment at the bottom & imho only good for f*ck off tight wheel nuts & the like.

Cheers,
GAZ

I got one from eBay. £40-ish.
It works perfectly. Comes with a couple of square drive adapters in the case too.

Only caveat is that the set up can be a bit confusing.
But it is easy when you begin to use it and adjust on jobs.
Then it's packed away until next time and one has to re-call how to set it up again. 😳
But it stores a few values.
Four ranges.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:42 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Torque Wrenches
1/4 5-25nm
3/8 20-110nm
1/2 LCD 'box' 30-360nm

TBH the LCD box thing is annoying and cumbersome. But I only really use it for doing up wheels. I wouldn't want to use it all the time. It is also unintuitive this means I have to faff about with instructions everytime because it isn't obvious how to set it up.

It's good has a cheap way to set high torque settings but I'd rather a proper wrench. Still the box was £50 a wrench in that range would be several times that.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1