Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Deciding what bike to get

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Zee_666
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:35 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Deciding what bike to get Reply with quote

I have 2 options for my new 50cc bike when I turn 16
The first one is aprilia rs4 50 2 stroke which goes 60mph but the sounds awful for sports looking bike plus this one has 900 miles on it and it will cost me 3k to buy and the other option is a brand new yamasaki ym50-re 2020 that is a Chinese brand bike that will cost me 1.8k only but the looks of it are amazing its a 4 stroke 50cc the sound of the bike is amazing but it only goes 45mph top speed im also a beginner to riding so this will be my first bike
I NEED HELP CHOOSING WHICH ONE TO GET IM A NOOBIE
people say Chinese bikes are awful and they are not reliable is that true?

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are those really the only two options?

Have you checked the insurance situation on the Yamasaki? I've heard that, given its limited import numbers, a lot of insurers don't list them. That was a while ago, the situation may have changed now.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, technically anything capable of over 28mph is illegal at the age of 16; that's all sub-50cc class should be able to do. Anything capable of more than this "out of the box" you won't be able to insure, unless there's some way of restricting it (no idea how this works on a moped though or if it's even permissible).

Chinese bikes are generally better than they used to be; buy new and you'll suffer big depreciation, which is a big factor at your age because within 12 months you'll be looking at 125s and beyond.

A sporty-looking low capacity bike will have every scrote within 10 miles trying to pinch it; they're so light they can be easily wheeled away and even a 12 year old could probably ride it. If you can store it securely, both home and away, then probably less of an issue.

My opinion; if you're desperate to get on two wheels before you're 17, get a cheap old 50cc scooter and live with the fact it's a bit naff for a year, learn what you can on it then progress to a 125 at 17.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on riding illegally just buy a NinjaBlade and have done with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above Rolling Eyes

There is a low mileage (5000km) used Yamasaki on autotrader - it has had a new head gasket, new carb, new rear shock, and new battery.

Not a chance would I be throwing £2k at a money pit like that.

Second hand Derbi Senda seems a better choice than both of your suggestions.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in your shoes and desperate to get a 50cc, I'd look at a used Speedfight 3. But no 50cc is going to set the world on fire and a fit cyclist will out-accelerate you from traffic lights; just ensure your expectations are matching up to reality. Wink

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really recommend just getting some bog standard looking moped for cheap and then when your 17 spend the money on a decent 125 instead. You really dont want to be stuck on a 50cc when your 17 and able to get a bike that goes twice as fast as any legal 50cc will.

I wouldn't be spending 2k on any chinese bike either, the depreciation on it will be huge.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 127 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1