Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying a bike which has a PCP contract on it.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:08 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Buying a bike which has a PCP contract on it. Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Excuse my naïvety....

Been looking at a bike (private sale) and just done a vehicle check on it which shows there’s a PCP contract taken out in April 2018 for 37 months.

Never bought a vehicle which has finance on it (mainly because I’ve never bought a vehicle worth putting finance on 😁 before).

What’s the best way to proceed - the vehicle report gave me the contract no, company and a ‘phone number for them.

Thanks

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:42 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the seller didn't tell you?

Find a different bike to buy.

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:51 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
So the seller didn't tell you? .

Correct but to be fair the seller isn’t local, and I was only in touch to find out if they were flexible on price and to get some decent ‘photos. Once I got the photos I was going to check on history/mots etc.

Only did the check because I had a voucher that was going to expire at the end of this month.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the seller if they will be clearing the outstanding finance on it.

HarryMac
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:58 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:

Thanks, so if they say “yes” then I check with the finance co. before handing over any cash. If they say “no” walk away?

Again apologies never bought anything on HP or PCP either used cash or bank loan. Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryMac wrote:
weasley wrote:

Thanks, so if they say “yes” then I check with the finance co. before handing over any cash. If they say “no” walk away?

If they've failed to mention the finance, what else have they failed to mention? Plenty of other bikes out there, unless for some reason this is rare/a perfect example.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:26 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, the seller is more than likely to want use the sale proceeds to clear the finance. However if they don’t clear the finance then title does not pass to you. You have to ‘give’ them the cash so they have funds to clear the finance.

Catch 22 really, unless they arrange financing to clear what’s outstanding first.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

if in doubt do nowt.
there are plenty of other bikes on the market so why take chances?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithy wrote:
The problem is, the seller is more than likely to want use the sale proceeds to clear the finance. However if they don’t clear the finance then title does not pass to you. You have to ‘give’ them the cash so they have funds to clear the finance.

Catch 22 really, unless they arrange financing to clear what’s outstanding first.

My view as well. I'd want it clear before I handed any money over unless the seller gave me the finance company's details and I paid them off by confirmed transfer and paid him the balance.

Edited to add, I've done this paying off a Black Horse loan when they were the go to bike credit people. I'm presuming it's the same with a PCP contract.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't touch a bike on finance unless it was to help out a mate who was up shit-creek.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:26 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's illegal for him to sell the bike with outstanding PCP on it, more so for him not to mention it.

You could buy the bike if you like, but you won't be the owner and they will come looking for it in time. (pcp company)

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk away unless the finance is cleared. I bought a car a few years ago from a local used car dealership near me, and the dealer even showed me a clean HPI check on it (pre-printed). Cut to a couple of years later, I went to trade the car in for something else at a different main dealership... turns out my car was on finance and hadn’t been cleared. The HPI I’d been shown was bogus.

Believe me when I say it was a BALLACHE to clear, especially as the guy I bought it off had gone out of business the year previous.

Stay away from anything that’s got a lien against it

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:43 - 23 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were to go ahead, bear in mind how PCP works.

You take out PCP on (usually) new vehicle. You put down about 10% of the value as deposit (variable in both directions), so you are financing the remaining 90% of the value.

You agree to a payment plan, generally 3-4 years, where the payments only really cover the depreciation. At the end of those 3 years you can hand the vehicle back and do it again, or pay a balloon payment to own the vehicle.

This means you typically pay off about half the value of the vehicle during the PCP term, and the balloon payment is the other half. So if this bike was about £7k new, don't expect to only have ~6 months of payments totalling under £2k. The balloon payment will be about £3500, and also the 6 payments left will be in the region of £150 each.

It's a great way to get a new bike for low monthly payments. It's not a great thing to take on from someone else, or to get stuck in if you can't really afford it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't even think about handing over money coz all you'll be doing is giving him money not buying the bike because it's not his to sell. I nealry lost a car in this exact way when I was in my twenties, and that was bought from a large dealership. If you're determined to buy the bike then you need a settlement amount from the finance company which YOU pay off, then give him the balance, if there is any which there won't be.

Call him back and ask him what the PCP settlement amount is - I bet he hangs up on you. If he does and that was me I would be PISSED that the guy was willing to saddle me with a stolen car and no money, so my next call would be to the finance company and furnish them with a link to the sale.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:20 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Don't even think about handing over money coz all you'll be doing is giving him money not buying the bike because it's not his to sell...

That^^.

The bike isn't his to sell.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1