Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help me choose a full face helmet please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:12 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Help me choose a full face helmet please Reply with quote

What is the smallest possible helmet size you can get- I mean the case size i.e. the actual size of the thing when you look at it from the outside.
As far as I'm aware manufacturers just use the same outer shell and vary the interior stuff when labelling. So from the outside an XXS looks exactly the same as an XXL
This is ridiculous. I am nowhere near six foot but I do have a large head.
So when I get off the bike I look like the bobble head second picture. I hate it so much. I want to look like the first picture and need something proportional to my slim body and below 6 ft figure.
Why has no motorcycle manufacturer pioneered making proportional full face helmets that take into consideration body types as well as the head.
I am sure most women must have this problem too.

Edit: INB4 people say it's safety, doesn't matter how you look. Well I care and I want both.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some ridiculous posts on here this year but congratulations on sneaking in so late in the day and taking the biscuit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 24 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

try an retro style open face helmet. pretend youre steve mcqueen.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:58 - 25 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Help me choose a full face helmet please Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:

Why has no motorcycle manufacturer pioneered making proportional full face helmets that take into consideration body types as well as the head.

cos they make bikes not lids

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 25 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Help me choose a full face helmet please Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Cookiemonster14 wrote:

cos they make bikes not lids

Dat's troo dat. Thumbs Up

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:45 - 25 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be so many mm of space between your noggin and the outer shell to absorb impact. In other words if you have a larger head you need a larger helmet, don't worry about the look - that is a secondary consideration.
Perhaps as suggested you could try a different style like mx or one of those from Ruroc - they are different and look really sharp.

edit - I quite like the Airoh Valor range myself. Got a HJC now but my head is oval and HJC fit better on round so I had to slightly compress the forehead area with a ball to make it stop pinching. Might want to take head shape into consideration as well.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:29 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some manufacturers do produce different shell sizes for their helmets - I think AGV do a couple of different sizes and I've heard that some brands have up to 4 or even 5 different shell sizes - so a helmet with a small fit interior will have an aesthetically pleasing and in proportion small size exterior - you would have to do some research to find out which brand produces several shell sizes.

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/about-crash-helmets-shell-sizes/

I actually had the 'bobble head' experience with a Roof Daytona helmet which had a very big 'one size fits all' exterior shell size - I'm just under six foot and average build - but I was convinced the helmet looked totally out of proportion to the rest of me and that I looked like the comical 'bobble head' you mentioned - my feelings were confirmed when I was stopped up at some traffic lights and a woman in a car stopped at the lights opposite me started laughing hysterically and pointing me out to her friends sat in the car next to her.

Because I had realised prior to this incident (from looking in mirrors and riding past shop windows - because I am a narcissist) that the helmet looked out of proportion and kind of silly, I knew that she was laughing at my ridiculous, out of proportion to the rest of me, Roof Daytona bobble head.

So yeah - I can say from personal experience that shell size, bobble headedness and getting laughed at 'is a thing'.

Alternatively - who gives a sh*t what other people think? Us bobble heads are people too.

On the other hand my Roof Daytona is now sitting in the cupboard collecting dust - I wear a nicely proportioned AGV these days.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike do you ride? I think it's a daft thing to think about. I would be more inclined to get a bulkier jacket with more armour rather than a smaller helmet.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:26 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
What bike do you ride? I think it's a daft thing to think about. I would be more inclined to get a bulkier jacket with more armour rather than a smaller helmet.

Yeah - but with a large helmet and jacket his head, body and arms might look out of proportion to his (now relatively) small legs?

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:
oilyrag wrote:

Yeah - but with a large helmet and jacket his head, body and arms might look out of proportion to his (now relatively) small legs?

Good point. With the freakishly large helmet and jacket combo he would have to buy some clown shoes to restore his upper to lower body ratio

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need to see an actual photo so we can have a good laugh reassure the OP he doesn't look silly.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:59 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you arrive where you are going take the helmet off quickly enough that nobody takes any notice and then they won’t stand and laugh at you.

In all seriousness, who cares. What size do you wear? Can’t be that bad surely, put a pic up and let us decide

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:21 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Help me choose a full face helmet please Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:

Oh but they have.

The problem with you is that your head is so freakishly disproportionate in size compared to your body.

Helmet manufacturers can't make you look normally proportioned. Nobody can.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Help me choose a full face helmet please Reply with quote

Cookiemonster14 wrote:
As far as I'm aware manufacturers just use the same outer shell and vary the interior stuff when labelling. So from the outside an XXS looks exactly the same as an XXL

Pretty sure most manufacturers will have a shell covering 2 or so sizes. XS-S for example. Sure you're not looking at bargain basement stuff and assuming that all lids are made the same way?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:10 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Good point. With the freakishly large helmet and jacket combo he would have to buy some clown shoes to restore his upper to lower body ratio

Yeah - the clown shoes definitely worked for me, now nobody laughs at my helmet anymore.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all in your head. Just forget about it. Nobody takes any notice of the size of your helmet. People have more important things to be thinking about.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:51 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an excessively large shell size amplifies the neck-torquing effect in a crash in a liner manner.

Airoh make some lids with very low profiles and small shells.

Arai have 6 shell sizes.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's more concerned about girls laughing at him than neck-torquing effects

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:48 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0739/6727/products/Motorcycle_Helmet_Cover_-_Blue_6_600x.jpg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this too, but never for very long.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Nobody takes any notice of the size of your helmet. People have more important things to be thinking about.

Met HelKat?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
oilyrag wrote:
Nobody takes any notice of the size of your helmet. People have more important things to be thinking about.

Met HelKat?

Different helmet entirely...

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 26 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy he wants to look like in the first post looks like a prat to me but each to their own.

Cookiemonster...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 04:54 - 28 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, thanks very much for all your advice. Have a good new year.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1