Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Failed Mod 1 test - bloody TWICE!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:15 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Failed Mod 1 test - bloody TWICE! Reply with quote

I just want to vent a bit.

A little bit of background. I used to live in London, did a CBT in 2012, and was going to get into motorcycling back then. I decided against it - since I already had a bicycle and motorcycling wasn't going to save me any time on my 5 kilometre commute. Motorcycling has been put on hold since then.

Fast forward to 2020 - I moved to Bolton, settled into my new job and motorcycling has been on my mind again. So I went ahead and did a CBT in July. I decided to go for the DAS. Now, with COVID and all, my training and test dates were quite far apart. I.e. I did training at a motorcycle school in late August and attempted for my mod 1 in the middle of September - 3 weeks later. On that occasion I did everything well except for the U-turn. I didn't get enough momentum, didn't twist the throttle enough (or at all?!), tried to do it on the tickover - and on the grippy Mod 1 tarmac I lost momentum and sadly put my foot down. Instant fail, but I carried on with the test, and did everything else absolutely fine. Had to try a couple of times for the emergency stop, first attempt was 47kph through the speed trap, second attempt was 51kph.

So, due to work commitments, I took a little time off, and decided to change schools to a local school. Main reason being, I did the bulk of my training with the first school on a GROM, rather than the Gladius that I took my test on, and to be perfectly honest, this didn't make much sense to me - the GROM hurt my ar$e, and I was sitting my test on a Gladius, not a GROM.

Fast forward to December and I did 3 days' training at the second school. I haven't been on a bike in the meantime. I was quite happy to do the 3 days' training again - to refresh road craft, technique and spend time on the big bike. This time I was on an SV650 and I really liked it. Certainly much more comfortable than the GROM.
Monday (21st Dec) I went for my Mod 1 again, this time using the SV650 rather than the Gladius. I only went and bloody failed it again! This time - I put my foot down on the slalom! I couldn't believe it; I never did that during training. Everything else was pretty spot on. My instructor said that I rode really well, and even the examiner said that I rode well. 60kph through the speed trap on the E-stop and 51kph for the hazard avoidance. My only fault was the weight bearing foot down moment on the slalom.

So it seems that I can do the high speed stuff just fine, but I'm not good at the low speed maneuvers...

My partner (who rides a CB500X) told me that it took her 3 attempts to pass, and what was in her favour was that she'd spent 5 years riding before she trained for her A2 licence.

I considered what to do going forward and ended up buying a very good example of a 2nd hand Honda 125. Sure, it feels a bit asthmatic compared to the 650cc bikes I've been training on, but at least I'm getting lots of practice doing slow speed maneuvers. The plan is to ride it for a few months at least and attempt the Mod 1 again next year.

Meanwhile we're riding together daily - she's been riding behind me and giving me regular debriefs. I'm trying to keep that mod 2 training fresh in my mind. Ironically I'm more "worried" about the mod 2 than the mod 1 test. I just haven't had the chance to sit for a mod 2 as of yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I was borderline on my Mod1. My instructors didn't say directly but the other guy doing the first training session & Mod1 was definitely a lot better than me. On the day though it's 80% nerves & 20% skill, IMHO. I went through the Mod1 just fine (two attempts on the stopping thing) and my co-student clipped a bollard on the hazard avoidance - literally failed on the last bit Sad Best of luck on the next attempt, nil desperandum carburundum illegitami Wink

I wouldn't panic too much over the Mod2 though if you're going about on a 125. It's all about the usual stuff: knowing when to stop, checking speed limit signs, road position, etc. and the class of bike (A1/A2/A) doesn't really change things.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
TBH I was borderline on my Mod1. My instructors didn't say directly but the other guy doing the first training session & Mod1 was definitely a lot better than me. On the day though it's 80% nerves & 20% skill, IMHO. I went through the Mod1 just fine (two attempts on the stopping thing) and my co-student clipped a bollard on the hazard avoidance - literally failed on the last bit Sad Best of luck on the next attempt, nil desperandum carburundum illegitami Wink

I wouldn't panic too much over the Mod2 though if you're going about on a 125. It's all about the usual stuff: knowing when to stop, checking speed limit signs, road position, etc. and the class of bike (A1/A2/A) doesn't really change things.

Thanks. My partner said the same thing - nerves absolutely make a massive difference.

And truth be told - I have had around 6 days of training on motorcycles - spread out over a few months in 2020. It was 2&1/2 days on GROMs in July/August, 1/2 day on the Gladius, and 3 days on the SV650 in December. It's not exactly a lot of experience, is it? Not to mention, that it's very condensed. I've never been good at doing intense courses, I prefer to learn at my own pace (usually slower than others!) and "little and often" is the best approach for me.

I think being on the 125 for a few months (I'll probably be getting out around 3 times per week on average) will do me a world of good and I can't imagine that I'll be putting my foot down on slow speed maneouvres once I'm used to doing them.

In my humble opinion, I think they should give mod 1 candidates a second try if they've messed up one or two of the exercises. But that's just my opinion and at the end of the day we have to follow their rules.

Last edited by Vladimir on 21:20 - 27 Dec 2020; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir wrote:
In my humble opinion, I think they should give mod 1 candidates a second try if they've messed up one or two of the exercises. But that's just my opinion and at the end of the day we have to follow their rules.

Ah, that's a nice idea but then the tests might take variable times to conclude and they already have a devil of a job scheduling stuff at least at Uxbridge anyway. Sorry but you're up against a government bureaucratic machine Sad

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that spending some time on a 125 will do you a world of good. It will give you a chance to really acclimate yourself to riding, you know, doing it automatically without really thinking about it. After you master the 125, the 650 will be easy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:54 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any luck, it'll get dropped. The whole offroad mod1 thing was pure Brussels red tape anyway. You used to do your U-turn and emergency stop as part of the on road test.

It was the EU 2nd driving licence directive that brought in the need for measuring the minimum speed you did these at. It was our lazy bastard MEPs who didn't request a derrogation for the UK to make it at 30mph instead of 50km/h (31km/h and therefore speeding on UK urban roads) necessitating the building of offroad facilities.

People still used to fail the U-turn though but with half as much red tape and fucking about.

If we're going to need international driving licences to drive in the EU anyway, we may as well make the driving test how we want it and I'm sure nobody, be it UK drivers, the DSA or HM government really want to be maintaining and administrating offroad MOD 1 facilities.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:09 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with a U turn is to open the throttle if you feel the bike is about to tip over rather the put your foot down.

It's very counter-intuitive and I suggest some practice before taking the test but I used to uturn my fz750 and fzr1000 in the road just past my house to make advantage of a dropped curb to get the bike on the pavement outside my house and at 5'3 1/2" and 10 stone I found it very effective.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:20 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:
I think that spending some time on a 125 will do you a world of good. It will give you a chance to really acclimate yourself to riding, you know, doing it automatically without really thinking about it. After you master the 125, the 650 will be easy.

Thank you. That's the idea. My partner agrees, too; she spent 5 years on small bikes before doing Mod 1.
I've been out twice and I already feel more confident for the Mod 1, weirdly enough!

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:23 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The trick with a U turn is to open the throttle if you feel the bike is about to tip over rather the put your foot down.

It's very counter-intuitive and I suggest some practice ...

I learned this the hard way, at the cost of failing my first attempt at the Mod 1.

For my second Mod 1, I was pre-warned to open the throttle if I felt like I was tipping over on the U-turn. This is literally what happened during my U-turn; I felt like I was tipping over - I opened up the throttle, and I finished the U-turn perfectly, with about 1 metre of space between the tyres and the white line. I was amazed.

NOBODY (including myself) would have predicted that I would put a foot down during the flubbering slalom! No idea what that's about! (apart from a demonstrable lack of practicing that particular skill)

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:28 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Vladimir wrote:

Ah, that's a nice idea but then the tests might take variable times to conclude and they already have a devil of a job scheduling stuff at least at Uxbridge anyway. Sorry but you're up against a government bureaucratic machine Sad

I hadn't thought of that; it makes total sense.
At the end of the day, rules are rules.
It just seems very unfair. I mean, if I'd messed up on 3 exercises - I'd happily just admit that I was unprepared.

Hypothetically being given the chance to re-do one exercise (the slalom, in this case) would have taken an extra 90 seconds, if that...

To be honest, during practice/training, it did take me a little bit of time to warm up to the exercises. On test day, due to my school not having a training pad, the arrangement is that I rode over to the Mod 1 site and went straight into doing the exam. I REALLY would have benefitted from 5 mins of practice, but hey ho...

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
With any luck, it'll get dropped. The whole offroad mod1 thing was pure Brussels red tape anyway. You used to do your U-turn and emergency stop as part of the on road test.

It was the EU 2nd driving licence directive that brought in the need for measuring the minimum speed you did these at. It was our lazy bastard MEPs who didn't request a derrogation for the UK to make it at 30mph instead of 50km/h (31km/h and therefore speeding on UK urban roads) necessitating the building of offroad facilities.

People still used to fail the U-turn though but with half as much red tape and fucking about.

If we're going to need international driving licences to drive in the EU anyway, we may as well make the driving test how we want it and I'm sure nobody, be it UK drivers, the DSA or HM government really want to be maintaining and administrating offroad MOD 1 facilities.

This sound like a joke when reading it for the first time, but I can well believe that the MEPs' laziness has meant that we have had to build and maintain Mod 1 sites.

That tarmac costs a cool £1 million, apparently! The whole thing is crazy, but nothing surprises me about the government anymore...

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where on the slalom did you put your foot down?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffyjeff wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I found 125's an absolute doddle, like a bicycle, but it was the additional weight of the 500s, and possibly the narrower bars, that I found difficult. This was back in '98. Admittedly I did pick up an ear infection between CBT and main test, which didn't help.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:28 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Where on the slalom did you put your foot down?

Crikey, I'm not too sure, it's a bit hazy, but thinking about it, it was just before the last cone.
My positioning wasn't quite right, so I really slowed down in order to avoid hitting the last cone, but slowed down a bit too much, lost momentum and put my foot down. At least, that's what I think happened. It's difficult to describe.

What's the significance of where on the slalom I put my foot down? If it's significant, it was my left foot, just before I switched from leaning left to learning right. If that makes sense?

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:31 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
jeffyjeff wrote:

I'm not so sure about that. I found 125's an absolute doddle, like a bicycle, but it was the additional weight of the 500s, and possibly the narrower bars, that I found difficult. This was back in '98. Admittedly I did pick up an ear infection between CBT and main test, which didn't help.

Interesting. I am finding the 125 a bit light and it's definitely easier to ride, but like I said, even after 2 rides, I feel a bit more competent and confident.

One of the things that I've been thinking about is that I've only ever ridden with an instructor "in my ear".
Riding without that is a bit weird... Sure, my partner was there on her CB500X, but it was definitely a different experience.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:16 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, no amount of additional training beats experience at your stage in Mod1.

If your misses is happy for you to meet her at a cineworld carpark on a covid hit Sunday, you could do all the low speed stuff and get the daft mistakes out of the way.

Bikes is bikes is bikes at Mod 1 stage, all inline 4's with bugger all grunt, so it's not a question of vehicle choice as I see it.

You got unlucky on the day , many of us here have got lucky. I suspect its why, as a whole, the forum is pretty supportive of members that fail.

You'll pass Mod 1, probably clear Mod 2 without a second thought, then embaress yourself by falling off the fireblade you bought from Bolton Honda on PCP , 16 minutes after receiving your pass certificate.

I'll laugh at you for trashing the blade, as will most members here, but you'll have a license that will allow you to replace it with anything you want.....

spongefinger
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:56 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Failed my first. Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. I failed my first early December. My training had gone well nailed everything but the u turn. Night before test was in the training yard freezing my bollocks of until 6pm doingbu turns after about 10 failed attempts I nailed 3 in a row but I still didn't feel confident. Anyway test day lined up for slalom that I had completed dozens of times without any issues clipped first bloody cone with my foot .....that was it confidence totally gone managed somehow to do a shaking figure 8 but I had already convinced myself I was going to fuck up u turn so as a concequence I did. Test stopped end of. I wasn't cas gutted as I thought I might be and one consolation was that the guy who was with me was in his 5th mod 1 and he passed he was so happy he started dancing like a maniac 🤣

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:43 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Personally, no amount of additional training beats experience at your stage in Mod1.

If your misses is happy for you to meet her at a cineworld carpark on a covid hit Sunday, you could do all the low speed stuff and get the daft mistakes out of the way.

Bikes is bikes is bikes at Mod 1 stage, all inline 4's with bugger all grunt, so it's not a question of vehicle choice as I see it.

You got unlucky on the day , many of us here have got lucky. I suspect its why, as a whole, the forum is pretty supportive of members that fail.

You'll pass Mod 1, probably clear Mod 2 without a second thought, then embaress yourself by falling off the fireblade you bought from Bolton Honda on PCP , 16 minutes after receiving your pass certificate.

I'll laugh at you for trashing the blade, as will most members here, but you'll have a license that will allow you to replace it with anything you want.....

Fantastic response, really funny.
Cheered me right up!

Only slight issue, there is no Bolton Honda. There's a Rochdale Honda and a Bolton kawasaki, but I can't see myself buying a kawasaki...

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:44 - 27 Dec 2020    Post subject: Re: Failed my first. Reply with quote

spongefinger wrote:
Sorry to hear that. I failed my first early December. My training had gone well nailed everything but the u turn. Night before test was in the training yard freezing my bollocks of until 6pm doingbu turns after about 10 failed attempts I nailed 3 in a row but I still didn't feel confident. Anyway test day lined up for slalom that I had completed dozens of times without any issues clipped first bloody cone with my foot .....that was it confidence totally gone managed somehow to do a shaking figure 8 but I had already convinced myself I was going to fuck up u turn so as a concequence I did. Test stopped end of. I wasn't cas gutted as I thought I might be and one consolation was that the guy who was with me was in his 5th mod 1 and he passed he was so happy he started dancing like a maniac 🤣

JFC, let's hope that I'm not the guy doing it for the 5th time!
By the way, JFC is an acronym of my own, J = Jesus, C = Chirst, and F = anything you'd like it to be!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:45 - 28 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to fight through blah... You slalom through the cones and the do figure of 8s until the examiner calls you over.
That's it.

If you put your foot down you were going too slow/looking at a cone.

Don't do either, just ride the bike. (Pinky will be along to add 'bloody' too that too.

Don't over think it, don't listen to mod 1 gods on forums and just get it done!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:53 - 28 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and the test should/will change brigade.... fuck off.
There's nothing wrong with it. You can't do u-turn.?? Who cares.
These fuckers get to do an emergency stop in a safe place. We didn't and were lucky. Stop being boomers.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 06:43 - 28 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:

If you put your foot down you were going too slow/looking at a cone.

Yeah, I know.
I did mention further up that it was due to a lack of practice/skill.
I'm sorting that bit out.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:01 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also training in Bolton here, I’m curious to know which schools you used?
My mod1 got cancelled this morning due to snow, managed a later slot for Thursday afternoon, hopefully giving it time to thaw, but I’m not holding much hope weather wise.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A possible wrinkle: countries can elect to make people retake tests when they want to exchange a UK license for a local license. The more the UK licensing scheme drifts from the EU regulations, the more likely it is that this process will have friction.

For example, Ireland is going to keep on exchanging UK for IE licenses after 31st December, for a fee + certified eyesight test and a few more bits and pieces. Whereas it looks like Germany will probably mandate going through the German driving test after 1st July 2021.

Depending on how things shake out, this could affect things. The UK & EU will continue indefinitely fine tuning the details.

(This is relevant to me because we're looking to leave the UK, and needing to redo a whole driving test would be a PITA.)

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a bigger bike it helps to REALLY shift your weight to opposite side when making slow turns. Not so much on 125. Check out Motojitsu u turn video on youtube for demo.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2