Failed Mod 1 test - bloody TWICE!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:11 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:
Also training in Bolton here, I’m curious to know which schools you used?
My mod1 got cancelled this morning due to snow, managed a later slot for Thursday afternoon, hopefully giving it time to thaw, but I’m not holding much hope weather wise.

I rode past the Atherton test site earlier today. The pad was full of snow, to be fair. Seemed to me like they could have easily swept it, but what do I know? That tarmac reputedly costs 980K and is very grippy...

I was holding out some hope that I might get a mod 1 retake opportunity later this week (I've got the week off work) but now I'm not holding out any hope, seeing as your test was cancelled; they'll be even more backed up now.

I am using Williams - really can't fault them. I've really enjoyed doing further training with them; even if I do end up riding on a 125 for a few months. It's set me up quite well for doing so.

As I was riding today with my partner (we have two way communication in our helmets) I was talking her through what I was doing at times. As I mentioned doing shoulder checks just before merge lines in the road as well as doing mirror checks at speed change signs - she told me they were good habits for Mod 2 as well as later riding.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:20 - 29 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
On a bigger bike it helps to REALLY shift your weight to opposite side when making slow turns. Not so much on 125. Check out Motojitsu u turn video on youtube for demo.

Are you talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qJXO4CZ9S0 ?

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir wrote:

Yeah that's it. Helped me do cones with confidence on heavy bike under pressure of exam.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:19 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinW wrote:
Vladimir wrote:

Yeah that's it. Helped me do cones with confidence on heavy bike under pressure of exam.

Do you lean over as much as he demonstrates in that video? Or is it quite subtle?

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir wrote:

Do you lean over as much as he demonstrates in that video? Or is it quite subtle?

Yeah I really did. Shifted my arse on the saddle as well. It really stopped the bike wanting to tip at slow speed, which makes the foot go down.
A couple of months later it's all forgotten and I'd probably paddle my way through cones in the real world now!

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir wrote:
sulphur wrote:
Also training in Bolton here, I’m curious to know which schools you used?
My mod1 got cancelled this morning due to snow, managed a later slot for Thursday afternoon, hopefully giving it time to thaw, but I’m not holding much hope weather wise.

I rode past the Atherton test site earlier today. The pad was full of snow, to be fair. Seemed to me like they could have easily swept it, but what do I know? That tarmac reputedly costs 980K and is very grippy...

I was holding out some hope that I might get a mod 1 retake opportunity later this week (I've got the week off work) but now I'm not holding out any hope, seeing as your test was cancelled; they'll be even more backed up now.

I am using Williams - really can't fault them. I've really enjoyed doing further training with them; even if I do end up riding on a 125 for a few months. It's set me up quite well for doing so.

As I was riding today with my partner (we have two way communication in our helmets) I was talking her through what I was doing at times. As I mentioned doing shoulder checks just before merge lines in the road as well as doing mirror checks at speed change signs - she told me they were good habits for Mod 2 as well as later riding.

My mod1 was booked for Darwen, but both centres were closed due to snow/ice. Looking at the frost/ice this morning I hold no hope for tomorrow either. Surely Williams should have a block booking of slots they could move you on to another?
I’m training with Force, top blokes. Former advanced police bikers so know their stuff. First day on a 500, the transition from 125 to ‘big bike’, then the rest on a cb600.
I might’ve actually saw you at darwen last week training?

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Dec 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tier 4 has just fucked everything up.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:23 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sulphur wrote:

It's very likely, on Saturday of that week, I was with another student and our instructor John. A slightly portly gentleman from Force rocked up with a couple of students and asked to look around the site.

Our instructor John compromised by offering to do a demo of a mod 1 test, whilst the gent from force narrated to the 4 of us. (Martin, I think his name might have been?)

Does this sound familiar?

Anyway, yeah, tier 4 has scuppered everything...

I'm happy that I bought my GLR125 and have been going on rides with my girlfriend.
I'll be doing my licence in due course, but until then it's practice, practice and more practice.

Vladimir
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:26 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind you, that demo was at Atherton.
I'm not sure if we had time at Darwen... Maybe on the Sunday?
I don't know the local area very well, I just rode where I was told.

sulphur
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:56 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimir wrote:
sulphur wrote:

It's very likely, on Saturday of that week, I was with another student and our instructor John. A slightly portly gentleman from Force rocked up with a couple of students and asked to look around the site.

Our instructor John compromised by offering to do a demo of a mod 1 test, whilst the gent from force narrated to the 4 of us. (Martin, I think his name might have been?)

Does this sound familiar?

Anyway, yeah, tier 4 has scuppered everything...

I'm happy that I bought my GLR125 and have been going on rides with my girlfriend.
I'll be doing my licence in due course, but until then it's practice, practice and more practice.

Yeah, Martin it was, I was one of those students. We took a trip to Atherton on the Saturday, and had time booked on darwen on the Sunday. Heard very good things about your instructor John.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:50 - 25 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in a similar situation to you, it was the wife who talked me into a CBT, id never been on a bike in my life

with all the lockdowns etc i have my mod1 cancelled twice so still yet to do it

ive been riding a YS125 in between lessons and it has helped massively, and i dont think ill lose much selling it on once im done, i actually love riding the 125 its so much fun and so easy lol

i had a lesson late last year and i hadnt been on the 650 for about 8 weeks, and i just got on it and had a great lesson, the going to work on the 125 really helped
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 54 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2