Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Grease - isn’t the word

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Grease - isn’t the word Reply with quote

I’ve just been reading how the traditional Christmas showing of the film Grease has got the soft pink fluffy people annoyed at hurt at the fact it’s racist, sexist and indeed encourages rape.
I’d imagine they watched the whole film whilst their hurt and rage increased rather than just switching off.
Is there anything that doesn’t upset some soft sensitive fucker these days?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it racist? Because Olivia Neutron Bomb is dressed in black?

Anyway, here's a good bit of 'Fuck you Snowflakes' about Grease.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/40-years-on-grease-is-copping-it-for-all-the-wrong-reasons/news-story/bbd10d7f703051a7619edb702e238cd2

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
How is it racist? Because Olivia Neutron Bomb is dressed in black?

Anyway, here's a good bit of 'Fuck you Snowflakes' about Grease.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/40-years-on-grease-is-copping-it-for-all-the-wrong-reasons/news-story/bbd10d7f703051a7619edb702e238cd2

‘A bunch of humourless uptight toss bags who need to get a real problem’
Quote of the day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of the poor black, white and brown cows that gave their lives for all the leather jackets used in the film.

I'll bet the bastards had milk in their coffee on set as well!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why this car is automatic,
It's systematic,
It's hydromatic,
But it's highly unlikely to be ULEZ compliant.

We'll get some solar fast chargers and electric scooters instead.
(Keep talking whoa keep talking!)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash Gordon got it too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55409194

Apparently only Asian actors are allowed to wear a Fu Manchu moustache and shouldn't be depicted as baddies. I suspect Fu Manchu is also racist but I don't know how else I'm supposed to referr to that style of moustache.

"Ming was of East Asian appearance and was played by Sweden's Max Von Sydow."

Ming the Merciless was a fucking ALIEN you tossers. From the planet Mongo. As is clearly indicated by his oddly sculpted eyebrows and green blood. Just like Mr Spock. The only Asian feature was a long black moustache.

The only real racial stereotype in it was Flash himself. 100% Jock.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roots is racist, there are no white actors playing slaves.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:30 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i still call it my Japs eye?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 03 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Because Olivia Neutron Bomb is dressed in black?

I think I might well have had my first tug over that scene.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Because Olivia Neutron Bomb is dressed in black?

I think I might well have had my first tug over that scene.

Add the word ‘today’ into that sentence and I’m totally in agreement!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:52 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Flash Gordon got it too.

"Ming was of East Asian appearance and was played by Sweden's Max Von Sydow."

To be fair:

https://media.tenor.com/images/78a5ab71e86b731df8dbe075a892215c/tenor.gif

The original comic strip was a not even thinly veiled racist caricature against the Chinese. He was called Ming, from Mongo, had Chinese features and wore all the Chinese style accoutrements. The filmmakers of the 80s Flash movie knew this, and backed it the f*ck off whilst still letting him be recognisable. Then, in the 90s they sorted it for the Defenders of the Earth cartoon by just making him green.

The Mandarin from Iron Man is also another Chinese reds under the bed type baddie. There was a lot of it about back in the day.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:20 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Why this car is automatic,
It's systematic,
It's hydromatic,
But it's highly unlikely to be ULEZ compliant.

Laughing Laughing That is fucking great.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grease is a product of the 1970s and should be seen as such, not criticised because it doesn't meet today's PC standards. I remember going to the local fleapit to see it with my mum. I don't remember her taking offence and walking out...

I like the old Carry-On films, and this Christmas I introduced my kids to them. Even my right-on 16 year old daughter enjoyed them once she got over the culture shock.

Films should be seen in context, not criticised because they don't meet contemporary standards of right and wrong.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Everything should be seen in context, not criticised because they don't meet contemporary standards of right and wrong.

Fixed

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how can something as harmless as a kids romance musical, where the worst thing is the girls dress in pink and the boys in black be the subject of so much antagonism when stuff like Saw, 300, Kill Bill etc. be perfectly acceptable.

The world is some fcuked up place.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Also, how can something as harmless as a kids romance musical, where the worst thing is the girls dress in pink and the boys in black be the subject of so much antagonism when stuff like Saw, 300, Kill Bill etc. be perfectly acceptable.

The world is some fcuked up place.

Playing devil's advocate here but a feminist could argue that Grease glorifies the subjugation and sexualisation of women, whereas Kill Bill is about a strong female character who ultimately kills her male oppressor. Likewise a feminist could argue that 300 is about blokes killing each other and that is just dandy from the female perspective because the fewer blokes, the less washing-up...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:13 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Also, how can something as harmless as a kids romance musical, where the worst thing is the girls dress in pink and the boys in black ...

Danny does attempt to take advantage of Sandie in the car after he gives her his ring. She basically fights him off at that point.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Also, how can something as harmless as a kids romance musical, where the worst thing is the girls dress in pink and the boys in black ...

Danny does attempt to take advantage of Sandie in the car after he gives her his ring. She basically fights him off at that point.

Hardly much of a struggle. Says no and get out of the car.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The Mandarin from Iron Man is also another Chinese reds under the bed type baddie. There was a lot of it about back in the day.

Thought he was mixed race, half English and anti-everything that opposed him including communism as the communists destroyed his family and fortune?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how Fu Man Chu would stack against today's morality? I used to love that as a kid...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Every heterosexual adolescent male in history has tried that on with a girl and got knocked back. It's part of the mating ritual. Rolling Eyes

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:22 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Every heterosexual adolescent male in history has tried that on with a girl and got knocked back. It's part of the mating ritual. Rolling Eyes

This...Fucking this!

They were supposed to be teenagers, they were doing what teenagers should do.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Playing devil's advocate here but a feminist could argue that Grease glorifies the subjugation and sexualisation of women, whereas Kill Bill is about a strong female character who ultimately kills her male oppressor. Likewise a feminist could argue that 300 is about blokes killing each other and that is just dandy from the female perspective because the fewer blokes, the less washing-up...

Kill Bill is cultural appropriation to the extreme. It also mocks the visually impaired, persons with addictions and poor driving skills.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:26 - 04 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

News to me.

Either way, that's not my point. My point is it's not a kids movie in the way that certain posters have described. Also the version that many of us have seen previously is a cut version with a whole verse of Greased Lightning cut out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2