Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinions on tyre repair

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Opinions on tyre repair Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering what you guys' thoughts are on this tyre repair:

https://i.ibb.co/mXTLtdJ/tiptop-tyre-repair.png

It's a Rema Tiptop tyre repair almost in the dead centre of the tyre tread. The puncture was caused by a pyramid-shaped (although with jagged edges) piece of flint, meaning that the damage to the tyre was greater on the external side than the internal. The tyre repair plug was done as per the manufacturer's instructions.

I don't know what to think, because the instructions say it's only good for 30 miles (although people say they get much more mileage out of them). Also, it was very easy to fit the figure-of-eight-shaped plug - very little reaming was required. I was expecting it to require more elbow grease. The tyre is a Michelin, it's a rear tyre, and the carcass is believed to be kevlar rather than steel. I wanted to go for a tyre repair rather than a new tyre, as this one is itself fairly new. I've reinflated the tyre and will check to see if it's lost any air over the next few days.

What do you think? Will it last? Is it dangerous?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:10 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a get you home repair, which has done it's job .
Dismount the tyre from the rim check for damage from the inside and repair with a patch if it possible .

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're asking us to comment on the quality of the repair that's hard to say. It looks like you used plenty of rubber glue, which is good. Rema Tiptops with the 'figure of 8' mushrooms are my favourites. In my experience once you've got the tool through the tyre the reaming (to clean/rough up the edges) isn't hard. Inside the tyre you'll have a mushroomed plug so it's not going to fall outwards. On the outside you'll have cut the other mushroom off, leaving a 'bum crack' as shown, but the two sides will be pressed and glued tight all round. I probably shouldn't say this but I treat them as fit-and-forget, however Tankie's advice about getting it patched internally if possible is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:56 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with these types of repair is that even though there is a mushroom head on the plug the rubber inside the tyre has dirt and the remnants of a mould release agent on it - so nothing will stick to the surface properly. If the tyre is off the rim the rubber can be burred up so that a proper vulcanised repair can be done to raw rubber. This would be a 100% reliable repair - the patch is now part of the tyre- effectively welded.
Remember Murphys law-states that if anything goes wrong it will do so at the worst possible time - not what you want with a tyre.
it's a Michelin tyre , so worth the effort and right in the middle of the tread , should be straight forwards

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
The problem with these types of repair is that even though there is a mushroom head on the plug the rubber inside the tyre has dirt and the remnants of a mould release agent on it - so nothing will stick to the surface properly.

But it's no different from a 'string' type plug except it has a mechanical element to it in the mushroom. The glue fixes either plug within the walls of the hole.

Oh, but if you mean in comparison to an internal patch then yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can say if that is a good repair or not. You are the one that did it and you are the one riding on it so it's up to you to make the call. I have always used string plugs and ridden on them for thousands of miles and never had one fail but that doesn't mean yours won't. You have to decide yourself if the risk is worth it or not.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:39 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the very fact that you are asking means either repair it correctly or replace the tyre.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
No one can say if that is a good repair or not. You are the one that did it and you are the one riding on it so it's up to you to make the call. I have always used string plugs and ridden on them for thousands of miles and never had one fail but that doesn't mean yours won't. You have to decide yourself if the risk is worth it or not.

Quite right, yes.
The only thing that gave me pause for thought was the fact that the puncture hole was already surprisingly wide (it didn't look that way from the outside), and the bung went in straight, with hardly any exertion involved. I pushed the supplied abrading tool in and out a few times as directed, with some of the glue applied to it, before inserting the bung. This exercise didn't take much effort, and the whole business took about 3 minutes. That's why I'm a bit Confused about this repair. The kit says it will temporarily fix holes up to 4mm in diameter - the hole appeared to be far less than that, yet I would say it's about the maximum width for that plug.

In any case, it looks like it might be new tyre time. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days (I won't be riding) and see if it's losing air anyway.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
oilyrag wrote:

Quite right, yes.
The only thing that gave me pause for thought was the fact that the puncture hole was already surprisingly wide (it didn't look that way from the outside), and the bung went in straight, with hardly any exertion involved. I pushed the supplied abrading tool in and out a few times as directed, with some of the glue applied to it, before inserting the bung. This exercise didn't take much effort, and the whole business took about 3 minutes. That's why I'm a bit Confused about this repair. The kit says it will temporarily fix holes up to 4mm in diameter - the hole appeared to be far less than that, yet I would say it's about the maximum width for that plug.

In any case, it looks like it might be new tyre time. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days (I won't be riding) and see if it's losing air anyway.

Right then I'm deciding for you. This is final no going back. A new tyre will be bought and while you're at it new oil and filter will also be bought.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:59 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've brerached 150mph on a tyre with THREE tip-top inserts in, then proceeded to run the main tread all the way down to canvas, the inserts were the last bit of rubber present.

In conclusion. it's up to you. Motorbikes are dangerous.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, my tyres were removed and inspected from the inside for damage before mushroom plugs were vulcanised and fitted from the inside. Smile
Also i passed Stinkwheel as well. Shocked

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any concern then read the BTMA advice on tyre repairs for road vehicles.
If you think it fails to meet safety margins then don't read the BTMA advice on tyre repairs for road vehicles.

There are a few rules and advice which can be followed.

Too many to spend time explaining here.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:42 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

Also i passed Stinkwheel as well. Shocked

Do I know you or do you fly an aeroplane?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:56 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
and the bung went in straight, with hardly any exertion involved.

Ah... in my experience that stage of the repair is a struggle.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:29 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bhud; The only thing that gave me pause for thought was the fact that the puncture hole was already surprisingly wide (it didn't look that way from the outside), and the bung went in straight, with hardly any exertion involved.

I agree with some of the opinions above.

I would get the tire checked out by a decent tire shop and see if it can be professionally plugged or not - for the reason you state (that the bung went in easily and is presumably not a tight fit).

I've had great success using DIY 'strings' and rubber glue and got up to another 3k miles out of the tire with no deflation or any other problems - but this was on tyres that were holed by nails/screws - which meant a very small, perfectly round entry hole - consequently the string had to be forced through the hole and I got a nice tight fit.

Your observation and gut feeling is telling you that this repair is probably not up to snuff due to the extent of the original damage - so definitely get it checked out.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What looks a bit concerning is the missing rubber round the plug which might give coarse road surfaces something to grip and pull it completely out which would not be good.
A more typical nail/screw type hole would be fine with a DIY plug for the life of the tyre most likely, though they can go in at a tricky angle sometimes.
If running about fairly local for the next few weeks you have chance to keep an eye on it and at least get some more wear from the newish tyre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is any cord/wire damage it shouldn't be plugged or patched.
The cords/wire can fret the repair and fail suddenly.
Pin holes are fixable, if the plug dreamer tool flies through the hole it's only a temporary patch and the tyre should be replaced ASAP.

Worn tyre puncture more than newer tyres as the thicker tread is more difficult to penetrate.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:44 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get that shit changed. It's bad enough on 2 wheels, don't add to it

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

In conclusion. it's up to you. Motorbikes are dangerous.

^^^This.

I've used sticky string repairs and stop 'n go mushroom type repairs. In each case I've repaired and treated it as permanent. I've never had a failure or problem (I've used stop 'n go to plug car tyres a couple of times too). Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. I've bought a new tyre and will be fitting it some time over the next few days, so I don't have to think about it any more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 106 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1