Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Minarelli am6 flywheel removal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Minarelli am6 flywheel removal? Reply with quote

Ok it's not a genuine minarelli I think it's a clone from a generic trigger but before Xmas I bought a flywheel puller to remove said flywheel. I did it up but as I started to do the bolt up to get the flywheel off it's stripped the thread inside it's also made a mess of the crank pin. Is there anyway of getting the flywheel out without a puller? Cheers in advance.

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the crankshaft has a tapered fit it can take a serious amount of force to get a flywheel off. Most flywheels have threaded holes that allow removal with a puller like this. You just have to make sure you get one that fits your flywheel https://yambits.co.uk/images/tls030.jpg?osCsid=7nrm3qea0u28peg315cu597ep3

Or you can make one with some steel plate and a few bolts
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vdUW6EJtIyc/maxresdefault.jpg

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Post a picture of the mess Reply with quote

Post a picture of the mess....can't access the picture of the flywheel puller you used, bet it was a 3 leg variety ?

Always use the proper flywheel puller...else distort the flywheel/wreck something like delicate stator windings underneath, unless of course it's an outsider stator...even then use the proper puller.....

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 09 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Post a picture of the mess Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Post a picture of the mess....can't access the picture of the flywheel puller you used, bet it was a 3 leg variety ?

As above. Post picture of flywheel, damage, and puller.

It sounds as though you have a puller with the wrong thread, or did not screw it in far enough.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Post a picture of the mess Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Always use the proper flywheel puller...else distort the flywheel/wreck something like delicate stator windings underneath, unless of course it's an outsider stator...even then use the proper puller.....

This is the one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minarelli-AM6-flywheel-puller-magneto-extractor-50cc-19-x-1-r-h-thread/302854627529?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&redirect=mobile

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Post a picture of the mess Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It sounds as though you have a puller with the wrong thread, or did not screw it in far enough.

Hi thanks for the comment however I'm not totally new to this. When I did it up it seemed to be tight.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Puller Reply with quote

Your picture does not open so no idea what the puller you bought looks like.
Post a picture of it please as well as the mess your left with, flywheel and crank wise.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Post a picture of the mess Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Hi thanks for the comment however I'm not totally new to this. When I did it up it seemed to be tight.

It's hard to see what can go wrong, then. Either it wasn't done up properly, or the thread size was wrong, or the flywheel magneto centre was knackered, or the tool was knckered when you bought it, or one or both things were made of cream cheese.

What damage was done to the crankshaft nose (end)? I do hope you have not somehow damaged the crank pin, that's the bit that the con rod bears on!

Photos would be useful to work out what's happened and what to do. The used (damaged?) tool, the flywheel and (damaged?) threads, the end of the crankshaft.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Puller Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
Your picture does not open so no idea what the puller you bought looks like.
Post a picture of it please as well as the mess your left with, flywheel and crank wise.

Seems like an ordinary single-ended puller. Edit: Yes, pictures of damage needed (reply/add attachment or upload somewhere accessible).

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is I did the puller up tight & when I started doing the bolt up the threads just gave way the puller is still intact it's just the threads on the flywheel itself. I'm not bothered about the crank as I'll be fitting a bigger one anyway. I'll try to get a photo later.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
All I can say is I did the puller up tight & when I started doing the bolt up the threads just gave way the puller is still intact it's just the threads on the flywheel itself. I'm not bothered about the crank as I'll be fitting a bigger one anyway. I'll try to get a photo later.

Pics would be really interesting. At a *guess*, the inside of the puller fouled something, making it feel as if it was tight, but was only done up a thread or two. Still, that doesn't explain a damaged crank nose. Pics! Good luck with it, by the way.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't really show much but here's a photo of the flywheel.

https://i.postimg.cc/25cFW9sy/20210110-134818-1.jpg

I've looked at other pullers & on some of them the bolt has a little nipple on the end which I'm assuming is to sit in the end of the crank? The one I bought doesn't have this it's just a normal bolt. Anyone got any ideas how can remove the flywheel now? Cheers.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the state of the threads inside, nor of the puller itself. An end-on pic of the flywheel is not all that useful. Can you get any other pics (side-on internal flywheel threads, tool external threads, tool bolt end)?

Perhaps a 2-leg puller through the holes? Tighten it up until there's some force on the thing, then give the centre puller bolt a sharp tap with a lightish hammer.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 17:28 - 11 Jan 2021; edited 1 time in total

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Flywheel Reply with quote

I assume the flywheel hub had a fine LEFT HAND THREAD ?

You say you are not new to this sort of stuff so know what is meant by a left hand thread ?

Ever attended to a loose pedal or fitted a new one ( you first have to get the old one off ! ) On a pedal bike left hand side ?

Your avatar suggests..........?

You did remove the washer/washers that where under the flywheel nut before you screwed in the extractor, similar to the one in riejufixing's picture ?

Which way did you screw the puller in, clockwise ?

By the way, why do you want to remove the flywheel ?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I try and avoid tooting my own trumpet (back problems) if you scroll half way down pg11 of my DT thread I take the flywheel off - pics, explanations... standard stuff really.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=328912&start=225

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Slide hammer Reply with quote

You know what a slide hammer is ? DONT ! DONT ! DONT !

As asked post a pic of the tool used, the mess on the threads of the flywheel hub and a better pic of the end of the crank please.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 11 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/YqT6fyqy/20210110-134831.jpg

bikenut wrote:
I assume the flywheel hub had a fine LEFT HAND THREAD ?

Hi no it's a righthand thread.

bikenut wrote:
You did remove the washer/washers that where under the flywheel nut before you screwed in the extractor, similar to the one in riejufixing's picture ?

Yep.

bikenut wrote:
Which way did you screw the puller in, clockwise ?

Yep.

bikenut wrote:
By the way, why do you want to remove the flywheel ?

So I can get to the bolts underneath the stator plate so I can get the cases apart.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you do not seem to have damaged your tool (!) during the procedure, and M19 metric fine (assuming it is as marked) seems to be correct.

So, what could it be?

Again, perhaps the inner of the tool fouls the crank nose before screwing in far enough. Are there marks to indicate this is happening? Again, perhaps, there was some sort of grot in the flywheel's threads. Is this the case?

How many threads (or is it all) in the flywheel are damaged/missing? A careful close-up with good light might illuminate (!) the problem. It's difficult diagnosing over the 'net.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the comment I think the flywheel is made of cheese personally, crappy Chinese metal? I'll try & find a twin prong puller when I next get paid give that a go. Thanks for the input everyone. Thumbs Up

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Stuck Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

So your in the shit now, but how do you get out ?

Your pictures are opening today, and it looks as if the flywheel extractor was screwed into the flywheel deep enough....

The engine is out of the bike.
The starter ring gear is welded to the flywheel.
If you look thru the larger flywheel holes, how thick is the metal that makes the flywheel "outer", 6mm or so ?

A two leg puller is a no-no, so is a three, even six leg. Why ?

The flywheel is riveted to the flywheel hub, which has the internal thread for a puller.
The thinish flywheel "outer" is not designed to be "pulled", it will just distort especially on a stuburn "client".

Can the hub internal threads be cleaned up so the oe puller can be screwed in for an other go ?
The hubs can be stuburn sometimes being well and truelly "locked" on the taper.

If you can screw in the puller for an other go, think about warming up the hub so it expands slightly to help releasing the taper.

When the puller is in and loaded, a sharp tap on the bolt can help as well, but Remember that pushing the flywheel towards the engine will "load" the big end crank pin etc..

So, threads goosed, what to do ?

Get a spare pair of hands, maybe some levers, a soft thick pad for the engine to "fall onto", a brass drift of about 17mm and a selection of hammers, with about a 17mm face.

The spare pair of hands holds the engine above the thick pad by the flywheel. Kettle of hot water, pour over hub so no hot water goes onto stator.
With the engine raised above the protective pad held by the flywheel, just by the flywheel, only by the flywheel, flywheel held, brass drift in contact with crank, a sharp tap with hammer, and with a good prey, god will allow the taper to release.

Think about this for a while..

Brass drift and the right hammer, you want to shock the taper, not rivet over the end of the crank.

Heat expands hub a bit, shock and gravity act like a slide hammer ( think about that one ) , taper releases and engine drops 2 inches onto soft protective pad.

If it doesn't work first time, go have a pannad.
Try again.
May be a heavier hammer....start light.....
If it doesn't come off, go for a pannad and try again.
Let things ( including you )cool down.

Don't forget, a "please god......" Can only help. When it does come off, a thank you God is a good thing........

Don't rush, take your time.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Stuck Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Don't forget, a "please god......" Can only help.

Not a "for Christs sake come on!"? Laughing

Thanks for the assistance I'll have to have a think about the next plan of attack. The only problem with your hanging method (good idea btw) is the engine weighs about the same as a rizla paper so doesn't really have the weight to seperate itself also there's very little room/metal to tap with anything as the flywheel butts right up against the cases. I'm thinking sticking the bottom end in a vice & see if I've got an attachment for my slide hammer that I could use as a drift. As previously stated I'm not too bothered about either the crank or the flywheel as these will be getting replaced with uprated aftermarket items but I don't want to damage the cases themselves. Cheers.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: No Reply with quote

Vice, slide hammer, no, no, no ,no, no ffs no !!!!!

Get someone to hold the engine up by the FLYWHEEL and use a brass, ally or even a hard hard wood drift ( brass best ) and hammer, heat hub then try hitting drift to shock locked taper free.

If it don't work, walk away and have a pannad ( cuppa ). Then when calm and cool, try again with a slightly heavier hammer.

Using this method you employ gravity, and if everything "in line" all the hammer kinetics go thru crank flywheel stub, a more efficient "hit".

If your scrapping flywheel and crank, your last last last option is a drastic drastic drastic one, get the grinder out.

Saying oh come off you zdcnyitasmd! Is defeatist.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Stuck Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
A two leg puller is a no-no, so is a three, even six leg. Why ?

The flywheel is riveted to the flywheel hub, which has the internal thread for a puller.
The thinish flywheel "outer" is not designed to be "pulled", it will just distort especially on a stuburn "client".

The two larger holes in the rotor look good for a 2-leg puller. They are hard by the centre, and the puller's feet would bear on it. Depending on the rivets on the inside of the rotor, it should be possible to use either the puller's legs, if the feet are suitable, or a pair of bolts "upside down" in the puller, with their (shaped?) heads secured or jammed sideways in the holes.

Last edited by Riejufixing on 13:21 - 12 Jan 2021; edited 1 time in total

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Stuck Reply with quote

BenR wrote:
I'm thinking sticking the bottom end in a vice & see if I've got an attachment for my slide hammer that I could use as a drift. As previously stated I'm not too bothered about either the crank or the flywheel as these will be getting replaced with uprated aftermarket items but I don't want to damage the cases themselves. Cheers.

If you're not too bothered about the flywheel, you could try geting some gas on it if it needs it while you have a puller attached and with some strain on it, and then give the puller centre bolt a sharp tap with a steel hammer to see if it parts.

The big problem with your slide hammer idea is where the force goes. When you have a strain on a puller, it's "contained" within the components (crank, flywheel); the puller outer or legs pulls on the rotor, and the puller centre bolt pushes on the crank nose, and that's it. If you attach a slide hammer to the rotor, yes, it will be applying force to the rotor, but that force is not contained locally - imagine that the crank and rotor are a solid one-piece component, which they effectively are right now - when your slide hammer is used, it will be trying to pull the whole crank out through the side of the cases, which if you care about your crankcase is not what you are wanting!

Have all the threads been pulled out of the rotor?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Statir Reply with quote

Will you be changing/scrapping the stator as well ?

Some mspecially made "T" bolt that slip into the holes may work, but only 2 would encourage "tip"...

Try the drift and gravity method first...if it don't work the first time, walk away, try again, and again.

If you can't grip the flywheel, use large diameter worm drive clips ( use small diameter clips joined together if no large clip available ) around the flywheel periphary, you could even use these to clamp a "handle or two" between flywheel and clip bands.

This flywheel is well and truelly on tight.......tapers well and truelly locked, remember the days of cone clutches ? Anyone ? Apart from me that is.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2