Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB400SS Kick start and battery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:00 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Honda CB400SS Kick start and battery Reply with quote

Hi. my Son has bought himself a nice Honda 400SS. I am remotely trying to help him with a starting issue but I'm a bit out of my depth as I have a nice big battery and an electric start!
He has the age of bike that has a 2.5AH battery and to me it always seems flat ie the headlamp will fade to nothing once the bike stops.
I figure that this means that the Battery is holding little to no charge.
I'm also ASSuming that if he had a battery that held a charge. the bike would be easier to start as the volts wouldn't all be disappearing into an empty battery and a headlight that you can't turn off!
Can anyone enlighten me as to whether this age of bike is simply like this or whether the battery does need replacing once the normal charge and discharge tests are carried out?
Thanks
C

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:15 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming this is the post-2000 hipster retro special?

I'd throw a battery into it.

The fact the headlamp comes on when the engine is run suggests the charging system is properly functional.

Sounds like the battery is utterly knackered. A more modern bike will need a certain amount of charge to power up the ignition.

A 2.5Ah battery costs next to nothing anyway.

Of course the best thing would be to do some actual testing with a voltmeter and see if it's holding a charge.

One caveat. The way this used to work in the 70's and 80's is the bike would have a seperate coil to produce the spark when kicked and the lighting ran directly from the engine (and went out when it was turned off) but I'm not aware of any post 2000 road bikes that work that way. It's possible Honda may have used the seperate charging coil thing in which case the battery is nothing to do with the engine running.

I can't find a wiring diagram for one (if you had one, I could tell you for sure) but they do appear to have a standard 5-wire regulator rectifier which suggests a conventional, battery-powered lighting system.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 16:38 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it meant to have a battery that small? I only usually see 2.5Ah batteries on scooters.

I would replace the battery, but I would also make sure that the replacement is the correct battery. I would expect standard fit on that to be more like 8 or 10 Ah.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:57 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Is it meant to have a battery that small? I only usually see 2.5Ah batteries on scooters.

I would replace the battery, but I would also make sure that the replacement is the correct battery. I would expect standard fit on that to be more like 8 or 10 Ah.

According to Tanya.co.uk 2.3Ah.
https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/f/honda/cb400-ss-03/
Even a motobatt is under £20.

Kister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:16 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Yes. Def the right size! Tiny little thing. New battery ordered. Thanks for the info on the possible separate charging coil.
Cheers!

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell him to buy a trickle charger too or he will be buying a lot of batteries. Seems it has an immobiliser so a dead battery could cause issues there. He could buy the service manual from Japan. If the bike was only made for Japan there won't be an English version of the manual. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u404619532

Kister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:04 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
Tell him to buy a trickle charger too or he will be buying a lot of batteries. Seems it has an immobiliser so a dead battery could cause issues there. He could buy the service manual from Japan. If the bike was only made for Japan there won't be an English version of the manual. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u404619532

Wow! an immobiliser. That is pretty advanced stuff! I will pass the message on. Cheers

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a wiring diagram https://imp.webike.net/diary/171390/

It has DC CDI so the battery is part of spark

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:56 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilyrag wrote:
There's a wiring diagram https://imp.webike.net/diary/171390/

It has DC CDI so the battery is part of spark

Agreed. Standard 3-phase DC setup with pulse coil. All alternator output goes to the battery. Battery voltage is required for correct functioning of the CDI.

If the lights go dim, it's impressive it's starting at all. I'd imagine he has to kick it over several times in rapid succession or bump start it.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:03 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCF: making dads seem more knowledgeable than they really are since wheneverthefuck
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

Kister
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:42 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BCF: making dads seem more knowledgeable than they really are since wheneverthefuck

Thank you so much. I guarantee that I shall take all the credit!
Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1