Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sym or Peugeot for 50cc scooter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

400N
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:22 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Sym or Peugeot for 50cc scooter? Reply with quote

Will need a scooter for my daughter soon, stuck with 50cc

Done some asking around and local dealers can get (and look after) Sym (Jet) or Peugeot (Kisbee) - both very similar models from either make for around £1800 otr

Given the potential for abuse not keen on going used - but interested in folks views of these brands / bikes as I only really have experience of big 4 Japanese

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd choose a Peugeot if I absolutely had to get a 50, but the question others will be along to ask soon if I don't, is if she can hang on 12 months to get a 125 (assuming age is the limiting factor)? 28mph on even urban roads if free-flowing is going to feel pressurised, 40mph intra-urban stretches would be borderline terrifying I expect.

Not sure about the thrashed used example bit; 4-stroke 50s are limited to 28mph and auto (generally) so if anything it's probably quite hard to "properly" thrash them? I imagine a reasonable saving could be made on a year old model (of which there must be a number about from 16yo who have turned 17 and graduated to a 125).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: Sym or Peugeot for 50cc scooter? Reply with quote

400N wrote:
Will need a scooter for my daughter soon, stuck with 50cc

Done some asking around and local dealers can get (and look after) Sym (Jet) or Peugeot (Kisbee) - both very similar models from either make for around £1800 otr

Given the potential for abuse not keen on going used - but interested in folks views of these brands / bikes as I only really have experience of big 4 Japanese

I would go "Kisbee". However, I know nothing of the Sym Jet. Also, just "however". I have some experience of a Peugeot Kisbee in the family...

They all do about the same speed, restricted (about 30MPH nominally, legally a fraction under 28MPH), which knocks out all "sporty" claims, BUT more power is useful to get up to 30MPH quicker. The Kisbee has more power.

Wheel size is a factor, bigger is better re handling. The Sym Jet seems to have a 13" front, 12" rear, whereas the Peugeot Kisbee has 12" back and front. Whether that makes a noticeable difference in use, I don't know. I suspect any difference will be purely technical.

The Kisbee is lighter.

The Kisbee has a larger fuel tank.

This must be said in a hushed undertone, 'cos it's secret.....

You can eaasily fit a switch to the Kisbee's wiring, which allows it to run in either restricted or unrestricted mode, with no other modifications at all. This means it will get up to 40 on the flat, a little more on downslopes, a little less on upslopes, and according to the person who rode it, THAT makes a huge difference in traffic, while being less likely to attract the attention of the law than some other more overt modifications.

It is necessary to take careful note of the CBT school's advice on road positioning and riding, which the family Kisbee-er found most useful and reassuring. These things are OK on the road; the family Kisbee-er had a year at 30MPH, then he was allowed to do the wiring mod, which was pleasing to him.

Further notes:

ALWAYS check/change the engine oil regularly.
ALWAYS make sure the helmet strap is properly done up.

400N
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:36 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks folks - the Kisbee does seem to be well liked

alas 16 yo / 50cc is a given

as to derestricting I gather that 2018+ fuel injection models cant be modded easily, or at least not yet. I assume a kit will come out from somewhere at some point

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

400N wrote:
as to derestricting I gather that 2018+ fuel injection models cant be modded easily, or at least not yet

What a damn' shame. I bet an army of pedbois are working on it. The previous technique was excellent, considering everything.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1