Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone else flashing high beams on a motorcycle to give way?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Anyone else flashing high beams on a motorcycle to give way? Reply with quote

Since I’m a car driving motorcyclist too, I often try to high beam cars on a motorcycle like I would do in a car, signalling I’m giving them way (mostly at evening/ low light). Say they wanna turn right and I flash them from a distance many times.

Anyone else doing that? What are your thoughts? I found it to be 50/50, many car drivers are confused as they didn’t know a motorcycle can do that (ha ha), neither they have seen one doing it (I super rarely see that too).

For me it’s easy to do as I trained my left thumb to be always on horn/ controls

jeffyjeff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:35 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Re: Anyone else flashing high beams on a motorcycle to give Reply with quote

Adame wrote:
Since I’m a car driving motorcyclist too, I often try to high beam cars on a motorcycle like I would do in a car, signalling I’m giving them way (mostly at evening/ low light). Say they wanna turn right and I flash them from a distance many times.

Most cars have a "flash to pass" feature on the headlight controls, and everybody knows how to use it (some drivers aggressively). If I were in my car and a rider flashed me that way, I would probably interpret that signal as "outta my way, I'm coming through!"

PS. If I wanted to signal that I'm giving way, I'd probably limit that to a situation with both vehicles stopped. In that case, I would signal by momentarily turning my lights on - off - on - off, on low beam.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much potential for confusion with disastrous consequences. If you’ve got right of way then use it, with caution. That way everyone knows where they stand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:17 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3nUAAOSwEUBfvbhm/s-l400.jpg

Some bikes have a flash button also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highway code suggests 'correct' use is to let people know you are there - which does come into play.

There's at least one more or less blind corner here where if you flash lights oncoming drivers can see it reflected in parked cars or windows.
In practice it nearly always means 'I'm pausing to let you go come through' especially one or two flashes rather than several flashes.

You don't only rely on it you are also noting vehicle position and 'body language' it is rare for things to be misunderstood but beware of third parties who might not be able to see what's about to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:41 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Highway Code wrote:
Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights to convey any other message or intimidate other road users.
Never assume that flashing headlights is a signal inviting you to proceed. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.
The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
- while stationary on the road
- when driving in a built-up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another road user poses a danger.

Basically hazards are stationary and flashing/horn are the on-the-move version. They mean nothing more than "Oi! Here I am" in the UK. That being said the button is often labelled as "Flash to Pass" as it signals different things in other countries.

Personally I wouldn't flash someone to give way to them unless I was stationary and then only if it was single line of traffic... even that's shaky ground in the City as you have cyclists and scooters materialising out of nowhere - on the inside, outside, probably overhead if I cared to look Shocked

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Dick Move to use your lights as a signal that you're 'giving way' to another road user.

It interpreted differently in different parts of the world.
In West Africa (and parts of S. East Grimsby) it means, 'Hey everyone, heads up, I'm coming through.'

Follow the Highway code and don't do 'clever things.

A nice thing to do is to stop and wave a pedestrian on to cross the road. They may think that you have made sure it's safe for them to cross and not pay full attention to traffic, and miss that motorbike or bus coming the other way.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:07 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, never do it.

It's shit driving and gets used by shit drivers who need a huge empty junction to turn into so they let folk out rather than drive round them.

Or even worse, stop to give way to someone on a huge main road , holding up traffic behind them.

Did I mention it's shit driving ?.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:10 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

Did try being nice but it just leads to confusion.

You end up with situation where they go stop go stop because they unsure, then you have to brake, then car behind you not paying attention almost rear ends you!

We're kings of the road, ride like you own it, (but constant checks on approach to make sure they've seen you and be ready for anything!)

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It was a long time ago, but my driving instructor told me not to do it.

Polo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give a sideways 'after you' nod type gesture thing. I never flash.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it occasionally in the car if I'm in slow busy traffic or something like that, but the couple of times I've tried it on the bike drivers don't see it and things can then get a bit sketchy. I'm also a bit worried that I might flip my headlights to the off position too and not notice since my bike has a slider type switch.

Also I think if your stuck at a junction then you should just wait for a gap. There is a really annoying 40mph hill here that's a fucking crawl in the morning because there is a junction at the top where everyone stops to let people out.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:00 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never give way unless required to by the Highway Code anyway....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:31 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to normal rights of way. Stop trying to tell other drivers what to do.

It boils my piss when people do that. It's confusing and a sure way to cause an accident.

They do it all the time round here, "flash you out" of a side road they want to turn into when they were the only vehicle coming purely so they can cut the corner. Then get pissy when you don't go (because they have right of way).

My area has had a lot of "flash for cash" incidents over recent years where someone "flashes you out" of a junction then deliberately crashes into you and puts in a huge insurance claim for whiplash. You don't have a leg to stand on in that situation because they had right of way and the highway code is unambiguious about the meaning of a flashed headlamp.

The one place where I "let someone out" is if I am in snarled up traffic and someone is trying to pull out onto a hopelessly gridlocked main road. If someone doesn't cede them right of way, they'd grow old and die there. In that instance I will stop to leave them a space, make eye contact and give them an "after you" type hand gesture to make my meaning clear. There is no need for a headlamp flash.
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fucking hate drivers flashing their lights in my face after dusk. Makes me half blind almost every fucking time. And I especially love it when the stupid fucking cunts do that as a "thank you" when I let someone go by my position/speed (stopping so they can pass). Like they can't just wave hand or whatever. It should be made illegal and punished.
Britabroad This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:44 - 18 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to drive for a living - I use 2 or 3 quick flashes* ' Please pull out and complete your overtaking manouver- I am aware of your presence'. One long continuous flash " Oh you Knut, what are you playing at ' probably with the horn as well.

* 2 quick peeps of the horn to say thanks when the other person has pulled in on a single track road to let you pass. - yes there are lots in the rural area where I live.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1