Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

LONG-TERM REVIEW: Zontes ZT 125 U

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: LONG-TERM REVIEW: Zontes ZT 125 U Reply with quote

Well I am new to the world of motorcycles, I passed my full UK manual car test at 17 and it's now only at the age of 33 that I have got interested in motorcycling. I want to go on a long tour of some European countries once all this pandemic business has went away.

I just want to give people a long-term review on my first ever motorcycle: the Zontes ZT 125 U which I bought from Portman Motors Ltd in Glasgow for the princely sum of £2,999.00 on the road in November 2020.

Zontes is a brand name of the Chinese Manufacturer Guangdong Tayo Motorcycle Technology Co. Ltd and to be honest I hadn't heard of them as a brand before until I heard Riding Reviews on YouTube mention them. Before I considered the Zontes I had been eying up the Lexmoto LXR instead. All Zontes motorcycles are imported into the United Kingdom through Clements Moto Ltd.

When I was looking at motorbikes I knew I was going to be getting a 125cc not only because it's the only thing that you can ride on a CBT but also because I was going to use it as a commuter bike for 3 years. I see this bike as a tool and I never intended to have the bike for more than 3 years, as it is the period until it requires an MOT, I don't care if the bike is sold or scrapped, it's value to me is exhausted at that point. I also see the £2,999.00 as a sunk cost and as it paid off outright already I made the decision based on running costs of the bike versus commuting by my current car (Jaguar XF):

Running Costs (estimated):

Depreciation of Bike (amortisation of whole value over 36 months) = £83.31 pcm,
Vehicle Excise Duty (amortisation of yearly fee over 12 months) = £1.67 pcm,
Insurance Premiums = £46.36 pcm,
Approximate Fuel Usage (conservative approximation) = £45.00 pcm.

Total monthly running costs for commuting = £176.34

My current cost of diesel using my car for the same amount of commuting is approximately £303.00 per month so using the bike instead saves me around £127.00 per month alone. Over the lifetime of the bike I should have saved around £4,500.00, which I am putting into an ISA.

Obviously a lot of this is down to estimation but I have tried to err on the side of caution and keep figures and approximations conservative. To me it simply makes sense to commute by motorcycle over using the car, plus I won't have to sit and wait in traffic. Filtering is something that already has benefitted me.

Anyway, I bought the Zontes and in all honesty I really enjoy the bike. I am a big fat b@stard. I am 6ft 4in and weigh 24 stone but this bike is able to move me along at 60 mph and has been pretty good on mpg. Being a 125cc its gutless with a lighter rider and with a guy my weight onboard it accelerates at a glacial pace. The biggest improvement I can make to the bike's performance is for me to lose weight myself.

The only niggle so far is that the engine warning light came on at 67 miles and I took it back to Portman Autos who read the code as a "air inlet temperature high" code. They reset the EMS and the light went out and told me it should be fine now. I rode the bike again and it was perfectly fine until around 120 miles and the engine warning light is back. Portman Autos told me the issue isn't serious and I can keep riding the bike while I wait for them to get the replacement parts needed for a warranty repair from Clements. That was just before Christmas and I am still waiting, but I knew there would be delays simply due to the time of year and coronavirus restrictions.

With the engine management light still on it drives with noticeably less power but it doesn't sound any different to before and since the dealer told me it's fine to ride: I keep doing so.

I really enjoy this bike and I will keep this thread updated with developments as time goes on so that anyone thinking of buying one of these for themselves will be able to see what it's like living with this bike.

If you have any questions or want more information just drop me a post here and thanks for reading!

https://i.imgur.com/3ImjH6o.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uyRzZKh.jpg[/img]

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll level with you - I'd be chucking that back at them and asking for a loaner until it's fixed.

I don't know for sure as I have no idea of the workings of Zontes but logically I'd say the sensor is probably there for measuring inlet air temps which in turn will then have an associated fuelling impact. The reason it's slow is probably because it's overfuelling like a bitch because it can't accurately measure air inlet temps and, therefore, goes into a safer mapping mode.

The problem is you're running in and running in with the engine throwing loads of fuel down the bore isn't a cracking idea.

Like I say, I don't know for sure, but I'd want a lot more assurance than being fobbed off by the dealer as 'it'll be reet lad'. Especially as you're planning to do a fair few miles on it, it would seem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I'll level with you - I'd be chucking that back at them and asking for a loaner until it's fixed.

I don't know for sure as I have no idea of the workings of Zontes but logically I'd say the sensor is probably there for measuring inlet air temps which in turn will then have an associated fuelling impact. The reason it's slow is probably because it's overfuelling like a bitch because it can't accurately measure air inlet temps and, therefore, goes into a safer mapping mode.

The problem is you're running in and running in with the engine throwing loads of fuel down the bore isn't a cracking idea.

Like I say, I don't know for sure, but I'd want a lot more assurance than being fobbed off by the dealer as 'it'll be reet lad'. Especially as you're planning to do a fair few miles on it, it would seem.

Actually hadn't thought about that, I knew it had went to a safer map since I felt the power difference (drop in power) when the EMS light came back on. I hadn't noticed a drop in fuel efficiency though it seems frugal but then again I've not done enough miles on it yet to get through a tank and check mpg.

I'll give the dealer a call, if they don't have the part in I'll press for a loaner bike.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

24 stone is roughly equivalent to an entire Chinese family so I think you're still within the capacity oft he vehicle.. Wink
..the big question remains will it last 3 years?

45 quid of fuel month is about 850 miles worth at 100mpg so almost 10k mile a year - could be a big ask. You'll get through quite a few tyres chains/sprockets, oil changes too.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, did you factor in service intervals into your costing? And at a possible 10k per year you'd probably want an oil change every 6 months.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
24 stone is roughly equivalent to an entire Chinese family so I think you're still within the capacity oft he vehicle.. Wink

45 quid of fuel month is about 850 miles worth at 100mpg so almost 10k mile a year - could be a big ask. You'll get through quite a few tyres chains/sprockets, oil changes too.

I would like to hope it lasts 3 years, one of my colleagues based in our London office has been running a Lexmoto ZSX125 since 2015 as his daily commuter bike, which is why I put a lot of initial interest into getting the Lexmoto LXR for myself before I got interested in the Zontes.

The thing that put me off the LXR (apart from it being less powerful on paper) is when I sat on one at the dealers it really pushed against my stomach as the seat shape pushes me forward onto the tank. I know that it's basically all down to the fact I am really fat but it wasn't that comfortable. I also sat on a Keeway RKR which has a very similar seat-tank layout to the Zontes ZT 125 U and it was a lot more comfortable for a guy my size.

Anyway, like you point out it's a bit of a leap of faith and I've no doubt over-estimated the savings potential of the bike, but I am still confident it's going to save me something over the time period. I also don't think it's a lot of money. I also thought about getting a Yamaha MT125 but it's almost double the price for something I know I am probably going to drop and lose a lot in depreciation. The most the Zontes can possibly depreciate is £2,999.00 which is not uncomfortable for me (assuming it lives 3 years, it is warranted for 2 of those).

I will keep my fingers crossed Mr. Green

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the bike has a switch operated "eco-map" option.

On a 15hp engine, this seems pretty pointless and in your case, is additional complexity which can go wrong.

I do think however, that viewing it as totally financial proposition works well, so if its worth anything at all after 3 years, you've had a result.

It's still 3 grand at the end of the day, which is 2 year old Suzuki & Honda territory, I'm keen to see how this pans out .......
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 12 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:
A100man wrote:

I would like to hope it lasts 3 years, one of my colleagues based in our London office has been running a Lexmoto ZSX125 since 2015 as his daily commuter bike, which is why I put a lot of initial interest into getting the Lexmoto LXR for myself before I got interested in the Zontes.

The thing that put me off the LXR (apart from it being less powerful on paper) is when I sat on one at the dealers it really pushed against my stomach as the seat shape pushes me forward onto the tank. I know that it's basically all down to the fact I am really fat but it wasn't that comfortable. I also sat on a Keeway RKR which has a very similar seat-tank layout to the Zontes ZT 125 U and it was a lot more comfortable for a guy my size.

Anyway, like you point out it's a bit of a leap of faith and I've no doubt over-estimated the savings potential of the bike, but I am still confident it's going to save me something over the time period. I also don't think it's a lot of money. I also thought about getting a Yamaha MT125 but it's almost double the price for something I know I am probably going to drop and lose a lot in depreciation. The most the Zontes can possibly depreciate is £2,999.00 which is not uncomfortable for me (assuming it lives 3 years, it is warranted for 2 of those).

I will keep my fingers crossed Mr. Green

It's a small engine that will be working hard.. Keep on top of the maintenance and you're in with a fighting chance.. Keep us posted - this sounds like a thorough test of Chinese manufacturing which we can all learn from. Normally these are teen fodder and so maintenance is often overlooked.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
I see that the bike has a switch operated "eco-map" option.

On a 15hp engine, this seems pretty pointless and in your case, is additional complexity which can go wrong.

I do think however, that viewing it as totally financial proposition works well, so if its worth anything at all after 3 years, you've had a result.

It's still 3 grand at the end of the day, which is 2 year old Suzuki & Honda territory, I'm keen to see how this pans out .......

Yeah I won't ever use the eco map, the thing needs all the power it can get with me on it.

I just see it as a cheap option and hope it will save me some money over a few years. If it doesn't then I am not all that bothered I will just keep giving an honest long-term review here for the benefit of anyone else thinking about it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
It's a small engine that will be working hard.. Keep on top of the maintenance and you're in with a fighting chance.. Keep us posted - this sounds like a thorough test of Chinese manufacturing which we can all learn from. Normally these are teen fodder and so maintenance is often overlooked.

I will keep on top of maintenance, I quite enjoy it. So far I've washed it every Wednesday and Sunday since I got it as it picks up dirt especially on the rear end really quickly. I've also checked chain tension, cleaned and re-lubricated the chain every second Sunday.

I got a cheap paddock stand and a spiral chain brush off Amazon. The bike doesn't have a centre stand, which would have been nice and saved me on buying a paddock stand. I also keep a record of all the maintenance work I do on it.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 15:01 - 09 Mar 2021; edited 2 times in total

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 13 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a cheap paddock stand and a spiral chain brush off Amazon. The bike doesn't have a centre stand, which would have been nice and saved me on buying a paddock stand.

The ghetto trick is to pull the bike towards you pivoting on the side stand and front wheel. then wedge a piece of roof batten ( or thicker) 10" long (approx.) or under the swing arm to the floor on the far side... rear wheel is then off the ground.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
The ghetto trick is to pull the bike towards you pivoting on the side stand and front wheel. then wedge a piece of roof batten ( or thicker) 10" long (approx.) or under the swing arm to the floor on the far side... rear wheel is then off the ground.

That is a good trick especially handy to remember if I ever need to do anything away from home.

UPDATE on the Zontes, I got it back from the dealership this afternoon, and I put about 24 miles on her on my way back to work. It feels so much better running normally when compared to safe mode.

The dealer told me I hadn't tightened the chain properly and it was too loose so they tightened it and re-lubricated it. I was gutted because I had changed the tension on it myself previously when checking and I've tried my best to keep the chain maintained. To be completely honest though my training came from watching some bloke on YouTube do it.

If there's anyone in or around the Glasgow area feels generous and can show me in person how to properly do weekly maintenance on the chain, what to check for and basically give me a little of their wisdom on bikes I would really appreciate that if possible. Happy to leave a bottle of malt in return Smile

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the saga continues. Engine warning light has came on yet again. Phoned the dealer and although the guy who answered was very apologetic and polite they can’t even look at it until Monday as they only have sales staff in on weekends...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not gonna like me - but.....

If I were you, I'd.

Give it back. Not fit for purpose. 3 x EML faults already just has the makings of a problem bike and you'll spend more time in the dealers than you rightfully should when you're handing over hard earned for a brand new bike.

On the chain side of things - there's no special art to it fella, although you might need some help because, ideally, you need to check the slack with you sat on it as weighting up the suspension will change it, of course. You being, ahem, a biggun' means you're probably better off erring on the side of caution and running it slightly looser than a 60kg bag of fly poop would.

In terms of cleaning - I use paraffin (lamp oil in the likes of B&Q - a fiver for a massive tub), and a toothbrush.

In terms of loob - I use (and I would recommend using) an application of gear oil....with a toothbrush.

Wipe off the excess with a rag and you're golden.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the saga continues. Engine warning light has came on yet again. Phoned the dealer and although the guy who answered was very apologetic and polite they can’t even look at it until Monday as they only have sales staff in on weekends...

I guess they're guessing. There's a lot of it about in the automotive world. "Oh we'll just change your componentXYZ, that'll do it". Oh no, we'll change the componenABC...". As long as they are paying for it, lovely Smile !

Hang on! Why am I telling a fat angry Scotsman how it's nice to be careful with money???

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Give it back.

^ This.

Also: £550 quid a year to insure a 125? Wowsers.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:05 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Quote:
Give it back.

^ This.

Also: £550 quid a year to insure a 125? Wowsers.

No full license, 3 grand bike.

I heard a story of 17 year olds now being charged a minimum of 1200 after CBT ....

Not exactly cheap motoring anymore.....

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's already at the garage I dropped it off yesterday and I am waiting on them to come back to me. To be honest I really like the bike, it looks good and when it didn't have the EML on it was riding really nice too.

At this point I'm going to give it one more chance and if it comes back on again once I get it back, it's going to get returned as unfit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act.

If it's not done this time, it's going back for good and I will probably get the Yamaha MT 125 instead. Way more expensive but the only other naked 125 I've seen apart from the Zontes that's got me a little excited.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 15:02 - 09 Mar 2021; edited 1 time in total

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
No full license, 3 grand bike.

I heard a story of 17 year olds now being charged a minimum of 1200 after CBT ....

Not exactly cheap motoring anymore.....

The main reason mine is so high is because I lost my no claims bonus in 2019 Crying or Very sad

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annoying but understandable, I expect the profit margin on a 125 is minimal and doesn't really allow for "return visits." A bit short-sighted though as once done with a 125 you won't be going back there to get a bigger bike.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

The bike went in on Monday and the update from the dealership today is that they replaced another part but during the test ride afterwards the EML came on again so they've been working to diagnose the issue.

I then told them if it isn't fixed this time unfortunately I will have to return the bike under the Consumer Rights Act.

They then said they will get back to me and this afternoon got a call from them again saying they are going waiting on the factory in China sending them a "remapped ECU". I sure hope that whatever is coming is actually going to fix the damn issue and not be a bodged together map so that it simply stops the EML from coming on.

Anyway, Portman Motors are the local KTM and last time I was there I saw the Duke 390 and honestly I wanted to keep the Zontes for three years as my commuter bike but now I have seen the Duke in the flesh it's calling to me in my dreams... Embarassed think when I do my DAS in the summer I will be trading in the Zontes for the KTM.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, give the bike back and go at it afresh from the summer with a DAS course. Buy a £2k ER6 and be happy building a couple of years no claims on something that'll do the job better than the Zontes ever will, then decide where you go from there.

You've still got the car presumably? Or at least the cash to go buy one? Go back to it for a bit, and come at it proper when things allow.

The good news is you know you want to be a biker - so it's all upwards from here Cool

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Honestly, give the bike back and go at it afresh from the summer with a DAS course. Buy a £2k ER6 and be happy building a couple of years no claims on something that'll do the job better than the Zontes ever will, then decide where you go from there.

You've still got the car presumably? Or at least the cash to go buy one? Go back to it for a bit, and come at it proper when things allow.

The good news is you know you want to be a biker - so it's all upwards from here Cool

What you say is obviously the logical thing to do... but I want a bike to ride now Crying or Very sad the DAS is months away and I like mechanical horses Embarassed

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a faulty ECU then if they have another in stock ask them to test yours with the other bikes ECU.

I struggle to believe though that your ECU out of all the ones put on those bikes somehow got the wrong code dumped on it, that just so happens to let it run but lights up the EML, so it's wrong but not that wrong... why do they even have a map/pile of code that would do that and why on a production line would they change everything to dump that faulty code on yours. Sounds like a delaying tactic to me.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:34 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire, but I helped a friend buy an Aprilia RS4 Tuono 125 early in the summer for about £2500 on next to no miles at all. It looked brand new, he's commuted on it A LOT since, and has had no issues whatsoever (apart from a snapped chain but that's on him for ignoring my advice on keeping it well maintained).

I'd have taken that all day every day compared to a Chinese bike. I appreciate you really like the style of the Zontes but there must be something else out there you could put up with?

Some examples that I would take for less than £3k instead:

RS4 Tuono 125

GSX-S125

Z125

Brand New CBF125

I would avoid the Yamaha personally - for some reason they seemed to be the most abused bikes when I was helping my friend buy.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5