LONG-TERM REVIEW: Zontes ZT 125 U

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I don't mean to piss on your bonfire, but I helped a friend buy an Aprilia RS4 Tuono 125 early in the summer for about £2500 on next to no miles at all. It looked brand new, he's commuted on it A LOT since, and has had no issues whatsoever (apart from a snapped chain but that's on him for ignoring my advice on keeping it well maintained).

I'd have taken that all day every day compared to a Chinese bike. I appreciate you really like the style of the Zontes but there must be something else out there you could put up with?

Some examples that I would take for less than £3k instead:

RS4 Tuono 125

GSX-S125

Z125

Brand New CBF125

I would avoid the Yamaha personally - for some reason they seemed to be the most abused bikes when I was helping my friend buy.

To be honest with you the only 125's that ever took my fancy were the Zontes and the Yamaha MT 125 but not gonna lie that Kawasaki Z125 is kinda sexy too.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:

What you say is obviously the logical thing to do... but I want a bike to ride now Crying or Very sad the DAS is months away and I like mechanical horses Embarassed

I do get it, I really do - but longer term picture potential gains outweigh the short term yayism by some pretty huge sticky lovepiss type margins.

Stick with that Zontes and even assuming it behaves itself you're on a 125 for 3 years to make the depreciation curve work for you.

Drop the Zontes and wait til you can do a DAS you're £700 in the hole for your training / tests and then £2k on a bike that will still be worth £1400 when you come to sell it 2 years later, you'll be 2 years up on NCD and the world is literally your oyster at that point. Heck, I'd even bet the 125 is more expensive to insure than a 2008/9 ER6.

The part you're missing is that the second you get onto any middleweight 5 or 600cc bike - even if it's an absolute honker of a POS that you'd happily park in a river - you're going to go W....T.....A.....F was I even concerned about a 125 for anyway? Seriously, it's so much better.

Yeah sure I ride a horribly underpowered Enfield alongside my ~115bhp but heavy ass boxer twin and you know what, I couldn't choose between them for riding enjoyment. But that's because I have the choice. If the Enfield was my only bike, it'd not be my bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:54 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
If it's a faulty ECU then if they have another in stock ask them to test yours with the other bikes ECU.

I struggle to believe though that your ECU out of all the ones put on those bikes somehow got the wrong code dumped on it, that just so happens to let it run but lights up the EML, so it's wrong but not that wrong... why do they even have a map/pile of code that would do that and why on a production line would they change everything to dump that faulty code on yours. Sounds like a delaying tactic to me.

Agree
ECU from China sounds like a road of borrux to me
I'd send it back as not fit for purpose get a refund and buy a SH YBR or similar

There are literally hundreds of factories in China pumping out these polished turds,
You try and buy a Haynes manual for instance, all you'll get is a generic chinese bike manual
They're built to a price not a standard.

I tell the lads here to just get a simple reliable 125 to hack about on until you get a license and bigger better bikes.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
pretty huge sticky lovepiss type margins

Would like to thank Arry for making me snort my coffee with that one Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to ask... "Fat Angry" Scotsman? I wasn't aware they were available in other sizes and temperaments Wink

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:08 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dealership are lying and/or incompetent.

The ECU will not be at fault. I'm assuming the warranty setup they have with the supplier covers parts, but a reduced price for labour. So they are happy to swap parts, but not to spend time on diagnosis - or to put their good diagnostics guy on it, because his time is worth more to the dealership.

An engine management light comes on when the ECU repeatedly sees something wrong. What the ECU can see depends on the sensors. What counts as wrong depends on how conservatively the thing was programmed. Sometimes a light will come on, then go off when the thing fixes itself (like a damp plug cap causing a misfire).

Your bike is going to have a limited number of sensors. Engine temperature, throttle position, air temp, maybe lambda if it has a catalytic converter. The ECU is getting a sufficiently worrying signal from one of those to turn the light on and leave it on, every time you ride it.

The dealership haven't even plugged in a code reader, or they would have swapped out the sensor. It's never the ECU.

Get rid. Your bike is a piece of shit. Also shorten your username, you're cocking up the formatting.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:23 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As many others have told you, you need to exercise your rights and back this thing immediately, you've given the dealer enough chances to get it fixed, now they are just fobbing you off.

Get your money back and, if you must keep riding until you do your DAS, go and buy a proper known quantity 125 for half what you paid for that chinky shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've been meaning to ask... "Fat Angry" Scotsman? I wasn't aware they were available in other sizes and temperaments Wink

I believe there are also short angry ones.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I believe there are also short angry ones.

Billy Bremner

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this? Getting close to the point where you lose your insta-rights to rejection isn't it?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Any update on this? Getting close to the point where you lose your insta-rights to rejection isn't it?

It appears not, I already checked on that one; as the problem was first noticed within 30 days (less than 3 days in reality) it is still covered. I asked Trading Standards Enforcement at Glasgow City Council who bumped me off to Advice Direct Scotland: but they were really nice. Anyway I made the call just in case the dealership were trying to buy-time and overrun any statutory time-periods.

The dealership called me on Friday last week saying they expected the part early this week and will get it fitted same day it arrives. I'll keep the thread updated as the saga continues Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAGA UPDATE

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RealisticZigzagIndianjackal-max-1mb.gif

Well, the garage delivered the bike back to me at my work address which was nice of them so I didn't have to come get it myself. I noticed they put about 12 miles on her during their test ride: which is fine by me I'd rather they did a decent blast on it to check.

It arrived at my work just before lunch so I spent my lunchtime blasting it around the fair streets of Toryglen and Mount Florida. All in all I put another 8 miles on her and there was no problems. She is running pretty nice, no lack of power (for a 125cc) and it sounds pretty good too (for a 125cc) nice little induction noise off it. I think for a shite 125cc it sounds pretty decent compared to other shite 125cc bikes.

Anyway I couldn't truly blast it because all the roads are a mixture of slush, ice and snow around here. I will drive it home again so that's another 18 miles to come.

All hail Xi Jingping! Embarassed

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:
SAGA UPDATE

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RealisticZigzagIndianjackal-max-1mb.gif

Well, the garage delivered the bike back to me at my work address which was nice of them so I didn't have to come get it myself. I noticed they put about 12 miles on her during their test ride: which is fine by me I'd rather they did a decent blast on it to check.

It arrived at my work just before lunch so I spent my lunchtime blasting it around the fair streets of Toryglen and Mount Florida. All in all I put another 8 miles on her and there was no problems. She is running pretty nice, no lack of power (for a 125cc) and it sounds pretty good too (for a 125cc) nice little induction noise off it. I think for a shite 125cc it sounds pretty decent compared to other shite 125cc bikes.

Anyway I couldn't truly blast it because all the roads are a mixture of slush, ice and snow around here. I will drive it home again so that's another 18 miles to come.

All hail Xi Jingping! Embarassed

Cool. Any further feed-back or just 'duff electonic part'?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, yee-haw, as the Americans are supposed to be fond of saying! Hope it's fixed!

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Cool. Any further feed-back or just 'duff electonic part'?

No further feedback on it from the garage, they seemed pretty confident it was fixed. I also took the seats off it to look in case they left a mess under there but it was neat and tidy.

Riejufixing wrote:
Erm, yee-haw, as the Americans are supposed to be fond of saying! Hope it's fixed!

Same mate, just want to abuse it now ... and give it a good wash actually. On the subject of washing do you guys actually dry off your bikes with towels or what? I was thinking about buying a cheap towel from Tesco on the way back to just rub it down with and then bung it into the washing machine and keep it as "the bike towel". Up until now it's not been cold enough that I had to worry about ice forming in/ on it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pet driers are pretty useful for blowing the water out of the crevicey bits.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Pet driers are pretty useful for blowing the water out of the crevicey bits.

Yeah, but what about the bike? Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:
On the subject of washing do you guys actually dry off your bikes with towels or what? I was thinking about buying a cheap towel from Tesco on the way back to just rub it down with and then bung it into the washing machine and keep it as "the bike towel". Up until now it's not been cold enough that I had to worry about ice forming in/ on it.

Fat_angry_hardy_scotsman

Brrr.. go out in winter and get my bike wet and mucky? no chance, fair weather guy me.

Although I did push-bike 5 miles to work today.. Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 11 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Brrr.. go out in winter and get my bike wet and mucky? no chance, fair weather guy me.

Although I did push-bike 5 miles to work today.. Wink

We Scot's are built different mate Cool and always in the worst ways Laughing

Unclemile
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after reading this thread, I'm potentially looking at a Zontes ZT U

Just because of the ECU, this is the only other reason why I may not go ahead with purchasing one on finance this week.

Have you come across any other issues?

Also, as you're Scottish and the smallest spattering of cold weather means you put big coat on, do you use heated grips or anything like that when you need something bigger than big coat?

Being southern, the smallest amount of wind means that I'll be frozen to the core, and being no heavier than 13 stone, a strong gust of wind and I'm gone for a few weeks, how do you feel that the bike handles in wind and rain?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclemile wrote:
So after reading this thread, I'm potentially looking at a Zontes ZT U

Just because of the ECU, this is the only other reason why I may not go ahead with purchasing one on finance this week.

Have you come across any other issues?

Also, as you're Scottish and the smallest spattering of cold weather means you put big coat on, do you use heated grips or anything like that when you need something bigger than big coat?

Being southern, the smallest amount of wind means that I'll be frozen to the core, and being no heavier than 13 stone, a strong gust of wind and I'm gone for a few weeks, how do you feel that the bike handles in wind and rain?

I've put just over 100 miles on the bike since they fixed the ECU and it runs really good. I genuinely like the bike, the only other slightly negative comments I can make is that I don't like how the clocks are very slightly off-centre by about 2 or 3 degrees but I'm just being picky at that point. The stock tyres seem alright so far too and remember I have ridden this thing in literal ice, slush and snow over the winter.

I don't use heated grips, I just find my manliness in the drawer and put on some gloves. I think a good pair of winter gloves (mine are REV'IT Stratos 2 GoreTex gloves) are all you need since it's a 125 and you're never going past 70mph on it anyway. I've ridden it in rain, slush, snow, ice, cold and windy conditions now and I've had no problems.

I did just buy and install the hand-guard kit that comes standard on the ZT125-U1 (the non-adventure-adventure-type) on my ZT125U but that was more for looks than anything else. I am also going to put on some anodised red mirror extenders.

I am also going to change the brake pads and discs, but in truth the brakes that are stock have handled everything well so far. I just want to do it because I can.

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 17:27 - 02 Mar 2021; edited 6 times in total

jackerydoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:38 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: zt125 u Reply with quote

alright ive got this bike and my engine light kept coming on and i done a oil change with the motul 5100 10w 40 and the bike runs so much better and it took the engine light off, all oil levels etc were fine before hand

it came on round about 200 miles then went away then came back at 600 so id try maybe see if a oil change would help but i do recommend that oil because its like butter now quite incredible

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: zt125 u Reply with quote

jackerydoo wrote:
alright ive got this bike and my engine light kept coming on and i done a oil change with the motul 5100 10w 40 and the bike runs so much better and it took the engine light off, all oil levels etc were fine before hand

it came on round about 200 miles then went away then came back at 600 so id try maybe see if a oil change would help but i do recommend that oil because its like butter now quite incredible

Not to put too fine a point on it, it sounds like you've got big issues there and small technical capability. Put the tools down and get it to someone that knows motorcycle engines.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Re: zt125 u Reply with quote

jackerydoo wrote:

The EML has stayed off ever since the Dealer fixed the issue. To date the parts that have been replaced are:

Replaced Parts - Under Warranty:

1. Air inlet temperature sensor,
2. Engine control unit.

Parts to be Replaced at 1st Service - Voluntary:

3. DID 520ZVMXGG112ZJ heavy-duty X-ring chain,
4. JT Sprockets final drive sprocket - 5 stud 48 teeth (+2 over OEM) (SKU to be determined),
5. JT Sprockets primary drive sprocket - multispline 13 teeth (-1 under OEM) (SKU to be determined),
6. EBC Brakes - Sintered FA142HH (front pads),
7. EBC Brakes - Sintered FA140HH (rear pads).

Modification Parts - Already Installed:

8. Zontes Handguard Kit (for ZT125-U1 ADV model).

It goes in on the 12th of March 2021 for it's first service and get the parts added (3) through (7).[/b]

jackerydoo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:09 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's decent man, did your dealer charge for labour or is it included in the warranty

hope its all running well for you my friend
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5