Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Exceptionally hot' 2020 concludes warmest decade.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: 'Exceptionally hot' 2020 concludes warmest decade. Reply with quote

Posting mainly because this made me laugh.

Quote:
Another factor that helped drive up temperatures in 2020 was air pollution, or the lack of it.
Global lockdowns meant fewer cars on the roads and airplanes in the sky.
As the dirty air disappeared this allowed more sunlight to hit the Earth's surface, boosting temperatures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55663544
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human population of Earth ~1 billion in early 1800s

Human population of Earth >7 billion now

A promise of keeping global temperatures down (as per Paris Agreement) either implies culling the majority of the population or terraforming. Not that I want to be alarmist or nuffink.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 14 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

A promise of keeping global temperatures down (as per Paris Agreement) either implies culling the majority of the population or terraforming. Not that I want to be alarmist or nuffink.

I think WEF have a plan about this and it's going quite well. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:25 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you posted the link - I'm assuming climate change catastrophe is implied in the article - I've been thinking "Green Grifting."

At the moment I'm following Samcrac trying to fix a BMW i8 hybrid car with an overheating issue and at the other end of the spectrum The Skid Factory resurrecting an old Cummings diesel engine: 6 cylinder, 24 valve, mechanical fuel injection... something you'd imagine Noah using to power his boat! The complexity of the BMW vs the simplicity of the Cummings gave me pause to consider: what is the environmental impact of making a car versus driving a car?

Turns out unless you rinse it for 200,000 miles or more you're probably hurting the environment rather than helping:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/green-living-blog/2010/sep/23/carbon-footprint-new-car

Here's something I didn't know, what happens to cars that enter government sponsored scrappage schemes? Mostly crushed instead of stripped for parts:

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/something-old-something-new-how-scrappage-harmed-the-classic-car-community/

What a waste! But of course it's all about the money, in this case propping up the automotive industry. Be responsible! Save the planet! Buy a new car! All the while helping to hasten the end and paying for the privilege Evil or Very Mad

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant say i found last year to be particularly hot.
some nice blue skies in the spring without all the usual aircraft pollution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Easy-X wrote:

I think WEF have a plan about this and it's going quite well. Thumbs Up

They can plan and conjecture all they want but 7 billion humans is way too much, especially as they all start to want smartphones and electricity.

The saying 'Breed like rabbits' is an insult to rabbits. It should be changed to breed like homo sapiens.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 15 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Turns out unless you rinse it for 200,000 miles or more you're probably hurting the environment rather than helping

What is "hurting the environment"?
Are we supposed to sit in mud huts and never move?
Perspective required.
Let it go, I say. Polarbear is right, it's a simple question of unchecked population growth overwhelming resources. Sooner or later, this planet faces catastrophe. It is unavoidable, and humans will have little to do with it.
Meanwhile, we should accept wars, famines and everything else as part of the human condition. We ARE all going to die, which in my mind is every reason to LIVE first. There's only so much we can do to alleviate the suffering of others anyway. That's not to say we shouldn't do reasonable things to do so, but again, perspective required.

Anyway, Elon Musk's got this Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="to v or not to v"]cant say i found last year to be particularly hot.
some nice blue skies in the spring without all the usual aircraft pollution.[/quote]

Exactly it was pretty average. But the climate temperatures are AFAIK different from local weather. They are measuring sea level temperatures in the middle of the oceans.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This winter is so far shaping up to be the warmest I've know for some time and possibly the wettest!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
This winter is so far shaping up to be the warmest I've know for some time and possibly the wettest!

Here January is coldest since 2010 and nearly 2C below average
About 2x normal rainfall though, plenty of snow too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Short answer, money and power. Is saving the planet a multi-billion dollar business? I think it is. Do people question many of these ''go green'' efforts? I don't think they do because that would burst their bubble of innocence and ignorance. Thinking

We live in the out of sight out of mind society, just moving our figurative chimney elsewhere until the elsewhere (poor countries) says no more. China recently banned import of plastic waste, for instance.

Also, and I'm just wondering, are wind turbines actually beneficial to the go green effort? What if a field full of wind turbines actually slows down the natural wind flow of that area, making things worse? Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Short answer, money and power.

What I meant was, what is the definition of "hurting" when it comes to the environment? It is not a static thing, nor has it ever been. Sure, it makes sense to keep our pollution to a minimum, but...oh, what's the use? I'll just be deliberately misinterpreted again anyway Rolling Eyes Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time people thought leaded petrol was the future. Does that answer your question? Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Once upon a time people thought leaded petrol was the future. Does that answer your question? Laughing

Cow farts.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Short answer, money and power.

What I meant was, what is the definition of "hurting" when it comes to the environment? It is not a static thing, nor has it ever been. Sure, it makes sense to keep our pollution to a minimum, but...oh, what's the use? I'll just be deliberately misinterpreted again anyway Rolling Eyes Laughing

The definition is continuing to feed an enormous change in the rate of change of atmospheric partial pressure of CO2.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:52 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Cow farts.

Average human exhales 1.04 Kg of CO2 per day. Thinking

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Cow farts.

Actually, the methane they emit is generated by the action of bacteria in their rumen and comes from their mouth. Razz

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Cow farts.

Actually, the methane they emit is generated by the action of bacteria in their rumen and comes from their mouth. Razz

No shit. Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Cow farts.

If I'd been that interested, I'd have looked it up for myself. Or topped myself Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquefied Natural Gas is 99.something% Methane. We burn it in our 'clean' power stations and is what comes into our houses.

Harness the cow farts (or burps) and you could be onto a winner. A cow powered house with fresh milk and a meat dinner when it expires. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best ''we'' can do now is biogas.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/styles/large/public/2021-01/agstar-ad-biogas-diagram.png

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I do think biofuels made from waste materials, and utilising the current distribution infrastructure, is a better prospect than electric or hydrogen. Electric still relies on fossil fuels or the UK’s weak solar, plus exotic chemical elements. Wind is better but still not enough. Hydrogen similarly.

Regarding climate change, man-made or not, it’s hard to ignore the fact that in a couple of centuries we’ve released great quantities of carbon which had been naturally sequestered for eons. Whether that’s the cause or not, the globe will equilibrate and nature will too, to the sad detriment of some species and the advantage of others. The Earth has been through many similar changes which weren’t caused by us. But I still see us fretting too late about the impossibility of stopping change when we should be planning how we’re going to cope with the now inevitable circumstances.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:37 - 01 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never wanted and never did have children, I shall continue my air cooled Harley and rib eye eating guilt free lifestyle.
bikergirl100 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 03 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Also, and I'm just wondering, are wind turbines actually beneficial to the go green effort? What if a field full of wind turbines actually slows down the natural wind flow of that area, making things worse? Thinking

The wind turbines make the wind, didn't you know that? Haven't you noticed how windy it gets when they turn them on full blast? A big waste of electricity, so definitely not green, especially when you also consider the damage glass fibre and carbon fibre mining does to the planet.

I think turning up the global thermostat another 5 degrees would be quite nice, it would make the riding season longer. Why stop at the 2 degrees they're currently aiming for? You'd have thought Greta would be up for that, living in Sweden for four days per week.

If people don't like it, just move house like what migratory birds do but to somewhere colder instead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2