Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to biking. Comms question.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DTBK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:52 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: New to biking. Comms question. Reply with quote

Alright people.

Soon to be 43 years old and after 10-15 years of being gently encouraged (read: harassed in almost every single phone call and chat) by a biker pal of mine I've given in and decided to join him.

Started early December 2020... did my CBT, theory and then planned to hit DAS but, the New Year lockdown put paid to that with all lessons and tests currently suspended.

Even *if* we're released from lockdown mid-Feb, work commitments in late Feb through to April mean I'm unlikely to now make any progress through to a full licence until May at the earliest.

However, I'm wanting to keep up with practice etc between now and then so, for the interim at least (I may or may not keep hold of it long term for any one of my four sons to use if they decide they want to get in to biking too) I've bought a brand new 2021MY Honda CB125R and I'm hoping to receive it March 1st/2nd.

Turning my attention to comms equipment... my pal uses (along with a mate of his who uses the same too) a Freedconn something or other. Apparently it only allows them to talk to each other so, if I was to be joining them (in time) for rides, they'd have to update their equipment too. They're considering a Freedconn device for circa £50-£60.

My question is... Before I'd heard of Freedconn devices I'd been browsing and landed at either Sena or Cardo devices which are obviously a lot more expensive and the price difference has me curious and concerned in equal measure. I'm quite the gadget whore and tend to gravitate towards 'bigger' brands but, whilst I'm not considering any specific device right now to assist with decision making I'm curious as to whether I *have* to have the same make and/or model of device as the riders I wish to chat to or, can I buy any device I want - will different brand devices 'talk' to each other etc?

Following on from this... I'm clearly wanting an intercom facility along with the ability to interact with my phone for sat nav etc but just as I have a dashcam in my car, I'm wanting the ability to capture video of my rides too for evidence in the case of incidents etc. Any recommendations for devices (or combinations thereof) would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance.

DTBK

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-topic straight away (welcome to BCF!) but what on earth do people chat about while riding? I'd be too busy... riding. I wonder about the volume required to break through wind noise too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DTBK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:15 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Off-topic straight away (welcome to BCF!) but what on earth do people chat about while riding?

Ha! Thanks.

I wondered the same... though I kind of enjoyed having the instructor in my ear on my CBT and two lessons I did.

As a new rider though, when the time comes I *think* I'd appreciate my long-time-riding biker pal giving me feedback on my ride as we go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, not answering your question.

I personally think you're better not chatting away. You can talk and dissect the ride when you have a stop, concentrate on riding while you're riding, you don't need a back-seat driver. It's just something else to fiddle with and distract you.

DTBK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I personally think you're better not chatting away. You can talk and dissect the ride when you have a stop, concentrate on riding while you're riding, you don't need a back-seat driver. It's just something else to fiddle with and distract you.

Fair point. Entirely possible I’ll come to to same conclusion once I’ve got my bike and done some solo practice... I’ve not yet been riding without having someone in my ear (albeit one-way only).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Absolutely. And even more so as a newbie rider. Likewise - even more so - you really don't need a mobile phone connection in your ear either (which will be a feature of any comms kit)

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:48 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just rely on the age old methoid of hand signals that other drivers have traditionally used to provide feedback on driving style?

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:04 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using the Freedconn headsets for a few years now. They're cheap and cheerful but work fairly well. A big review of these Bluetooth headsets here on my blog.

They do support up to 3-way voice comms. How big is your riding group?
We use them a lot for solo riding for satnav directions, music etc too. either from Garmin Zumo or from mobiles.

My wife and I use them a lot when riding together, batteries happily last all day with voice channel open permanently. We generally jabber on about random stuff, interspersed with cursing at other road users and arguing over directions or me leaving her behind...

Range is good for about half a mile or so, depending on buildings, land elevations etc. Though, it's difficult to make one another out, once you're doing more than around 50-60mph - this is where the more expensive comms win. Had them 4 years, reliability has been reasonable, one stopped recording audio after a year or so (just bought another - they were only ~£30 each back then). Battery life is starting to be noticeable reduced these days, but still not bad for 4 years. The sticky Velcro failed a few times, but that's cheap to replace.

So at the price, the Freedconn are decent enough. Spend more and you get better audio quality, larger group chat features (maybe even grid networking). But the posh brands are a huge jump up in quality. When the batteries on our pair of TCOMs finally die, I can see us just buying another pair the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So long as you don't do long-winded conversations or join in on continuous babble then having comms on the bike can be useful.
I managed quite well when I assumed I could ride and blabber.
Fact is statistically any distractions whilst driving can reduce your concentration and lead to mistakes.
Less forgiving if balancing two wheels without a protective shell around you.

Something that lets you pump your moozak into your helmet is fine. So long as you know to watch the road and the other idiots using the road.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:09 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBK wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

Fair point. Entirely possible I’ll come to to same conclusion once I’ve got my bike and done some solo practice... I’ve not yet been riding without having someone in my ear (albeit one-way only).

It is oddly reassuring, your first couple of solo rides feel strange when you don’t get feedback/correction. However, as mentioned already, the less distraction the better. Instructors for your full licence and IAM ROSPA etc may encourage you to talk yourself through what you are doing/seeing and whilst you may get friends pointing out hazards etc. I think they are more likely to be distracting than helping.

That said I’m antisocial and don’t have a radio on when driving either.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 16 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into this a few months ago and decided a walkie talkie is the best method if you can get everyone you ride with to buy one. Seems to be what all the training centers use too. Fortnine has a few videos on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevmJCDXlME

I dont see a problem with being able to talk to people as a new rider as long as you dont natter away and lose focus on the riding. I've had a few instances when out practicing with my brother where being able to talk would have been really helpful. Once he stalled at a roundabout and took the wrong exit onto a motorway which meant we had to stop for 10 minutes trying to get hold of him.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 02:28 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mrs and myself use one, find it really handy to be honest, and the bonus is above 60 she can't hear me anyway so can't tell me to slow down Smile

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do riders use comms AND ear-plugs? I use the latter and haven't used comms since lessons, a few years ago now. I didn't wear ear plugs for several years but last few years I use olive oil on those in-ear silicon ones and they kill 90% of sound (seemingly). Comms as well seems like it'd mean less ear plug.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
The Mrs and myself use one, find it really handy to be honest, and the bonus is above 60 she can't hear me anyway so can't tell me to slow down Smile

Not far off that myself and already my hearing is poor.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your pal (and his mate) ride BMW GSs by the way? Just curious..

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:42 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
How do riders use comms AND ear-plugs? I use the latter and haven't used comms since lessons, a few years ago now. I didn't wear ear plugs for several years but last few years I use olive oil on those in-ear silicon ones and they kill 90% of sound (seemingly). Comms as well seems like it'd mean less ear plug.

There's a few brands of ear plugs that are selective over what frequencies they filter out, such that they don't attenuate voice as much as higher wind noise frequencies. Plugs like the Pinlock earplugs (yes Pinlock - they've branched out from visors) and Auritech ones.

I personally found them OK. Yes, they let more voice frequencies through compared to other normal plugs, but generally, I found they didn't attenuate everything else enough. I wouldn't wear them unless I was riding with someone else and really needed to hear them. And on a long trip, I'd definitely choose normal plugs in preference.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I use a Cardo Freecom 4+ - they're about £180 but worth it as they are effective, have decent voice activation (change volume, mute music etc.) and allow 4-way pairing. Cheaper models reduce the number of companions you can have in a conversation group (although more than 4 would probably be too many anyway).

In terms of use, they're handy for satnav (you can reduce your attention to the satnav screen and focus on the road/junction if you're being told the directions) and very handy for group rides if used correctly. We use them for things like advising of dangers on the road, deciding when to stop as well as for chatting on longer stretches of boring roads on tour. If you're behind a fairing it's not too bad hearing the conversation, bigger issue is correct mic placement as they're incredibly sensitive to not being located correctly.

I think to a degree, different systems will talk to each other but not sure how far the compatibility goes.

Distraction side; down to the individual. Fellow riders will be aware of where you're riding; if it's a twisty section of road they'll know and if even moderately sensible aren't going to be babbling on about something. Very different to having a phone conversation with someone who has no idea of the circumstances you're in. If used correctly, I think they probably can offer a net advantage given the ability of the lead rider to alert following riders of things, e.g. oil in centre of road, car spotted in blind junction, or even things like pulling out of a difficult junction and letting following riders know the way is clear.

CorriganJ
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:12 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to derail this conversation again but... OP, are you aware you need ear plugs for hearing protection?

And, to everyone else, how do you hear comms when you have ear plugs in?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:24 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CorriganJ wrote:
Sorry to derail this conversation again but... OP, are you aware you need ear plugs for hearing protection?

And, to everyone else, how do you hear comms when you have ear plugs in?

You don't 'need' ear plugs to protect your hearing. I find ear buds (used with a dab radio) cut out most of the loud wind noise that does the damage.

DTBK
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:25 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arfa__ wrote:

Been using the Freedconn headsets for a few years now. They're cheap and cheerful but work fairly well. A big review of these Bluetooth headsets here on my blog.

Thanks for the link - that's an interesting read.

Arfa__ wrote:

How big is your riding group?

There's no "group" as such yet (I don't have my bike yet - it's coming early March - but I have two biker mates so in the short(er) term at least it'll be a group of 3.

One angle I was coming from with my enquiry about whether different brands would "talk" to each other is that those two mates of mine live some >30 miles away from me so meeting up with them for rides won't be an entirely regular thing... in time though it would be cool to meet up with others more local to me. My noob assumption that one brand may not talk to another was that it'd be a pain if I had to have different systems depending on who I was intending to ride with on any given day... but I know now that this isn't necessarily the case.

Arfa__ wrote:

We use them a lot for solo riding for satnav directions, music etc too. either from Garmin Zumo or from mobiles.

My wife and I use them a lot when riding together, batteries happily last all day with voice channel open permanently. We generally jabber on about random stuff, interspersed with cursing at other road users and arguing over directions or me leaving her behind...

Range is good for about half a mile or so, depending on buildings, land elevations etc. Though, it's difficult to make one another out, once you're doing more than around 50-60mph - this is where the more expensive comms win. Had them 4 years, reliability has been reasonable, one stopped recording audio after a year or so (just bought another - they were only ~£30 each back then). Battery life is starting to be noticeable reduced these days, but still not bad for 4 years. The sticky Velcro failed a few times, but that's cheap to replace.

So at the price, the Freedconn are decent enough. Spend more and you get better audio quality, larger group chat features (maybe even grid networking). But the posh brands are a huge jump up in quality. When the batteries on our pair of TCOMs finally die, I can see us just buying another pair the same.

That's all really useful info - thanks.

Keithy wrote:

Instructors for your full licence and IAM ROSPA etc may encourage you to talk yourself through what you are doing/seeing...

I've seen mention of that elsewhere already. I have every intention of doing that once my bike arrives and use of it is permitted (lockdown etc) - I think it's a good idea.

Ayrton wrote:

I was looking into this a few months ago and decided a walkie talkie is the best method if you can get everyone you ride with to buy one. Seems to be what all the training centers use too. Fortnine has a few videos on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevmJCDXlME

That's possibly a good idea. Two of us play Airsoft and have walkie talkies for that. I'm surprised that using them hasn't crossed my mind already. Definitely something to consider. Thanks for the link to the FortNine video too. I'll give that a watch.

Ayrton wrote:

I dont see a problem with being able to talk to people as a new rider as long as you dont natter away and lose focus on the riding. I've had a few instances when out practicing with my brother where being able to talk would have been really helpful. Once he stalled at a roundabout and took the wrong exit onto a motorway which meant we had to stop for 10 minutes trying to get hold of him.

This... exactly. I fully expect to be falling behind the other two at least initially until I have more experience so the ability to easily communicate with them and avoid things such as wrong turns or just keep appraised of location, is appealing.

A100man wrote:
Does your pal (and his mate) ride BMW GSs by the way? Just curious..

My pal rides a CBR500R... I don't actually know what his mate rides.

ThunderGuts wrote:

So I use a Cardo Freecom 4+ - they're about £180 but worth it as they are effective, have decent voice activation (change volume, mute music etc.) and allow 4-way pairing. Cheaper models reduce the number of companions you can have in a conversation group (although more than 4 would probably be too many anyway).

In terms of use, they're handy for satnav (you can reduce your attention to the satnav screen and focus on the road/junction if you're being told the directions) and very handy for group rides if used correctly. We use them for things like advising of dangers on the road, deciding when to stop as well as for chatting on longer stretches of boring roads on tour. If you're behind a fairing it's not too bad hearing the conversation, bigger issue is correct mic placement as they're incredibly sensitive to not being located correctly.

I think to a degree, different systems will talk to each other but not sure how far the compatibility goes.

I just read up on the Freecom 4+. It looks like a decent piece of kit. Thanks for the head's up.

ThunderGuts wrote:

Distraction side; down to the individual. Fellow riders will be aware of where you're riding; if it's a twisty section of road they'll know and if even moderately sensible aren't going to be babbling on about something. Very different to having a phone conversation with someone who has no idea of the circumstances you're in. If used correctly, I think they probably can offer a net advantage given the ability of the lead rider to alert following riders of things, e.g. oil in centre of road, car spotted in blind junction, or even things like pulling out of a difficult junction and letting following riders know the way is clear.

I agree. I take onboard the comments people have made about distractions etc. I don't intend to be having full blown conversations via telephone or intercom... I don't particularly intend to listen to a great deal of music either (I like to be able to hear the engine when I'm driving, I expect the same to be true (if not moreso) of riding). But the integration with Sat Nav, alerts and feedback from riders I'm with, plus the ability to make a call at a convenient time with little faff, all appeal.

CorriganJ wrote:

Yes. I'm aware... and that's a whole other area of concern that I had intended to post separately about. Basically... I don't get on with in-ear headphones/plugs. I've tried so many brands over the years all with different styles of plugs/tips - some interchangeable of different sizes and shapes - and I've never found ones that will stay in. I *have* found ones that I can (with some effort) force in and often draw blood in the process (not helped by me regularly having psoriasis in my ears) but usually still fall out within a short period of time.

I already suffer from substantially reduced hearing (particularly low frequency) in my left ear (Meniere's disease) and although it's 50:50 whether I get it in the other, I'm keen to protect the hearing in my right ear as much as possible.

I don't know if it's that my ears are a funny shape or just aburdly small but... I don't know what the answer is and certainly don't know where to start looking for suitable ear plugs other than trial and error and potentially spending a small fortune in the process.

Anyone have any suggestions?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

On your last point, there are I believe companies who will make custom earplugs - perhaps an option? Not going to be the same price point as a box of foam plugs from Screwfix, but if it gives you good hearing protection and works for you then probably worth it. You will also be able to discuss your specific concerns/issues and they may be able to work around these for you.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTBK wrote:
My noob assumption that one brand may not talk to another was that it'd be a pain if I had to have different systems depending on who I was intending to ride with on any given day... but I know now that this isn't necessarily the case.

My own experience is that it's a bit hit-and-miss... ideally you'd have the same brand, but otherwise it works with some combos (sometimes!) but not on others.

Arfa__ wrote:
My wife and I use them a lot when riding together, batteries happily last all day with voice channel open permanently. We generally jabber on about random stuff, interspersed with cursing at other road users and arguing over directions or me leaving her behind

Hmm... I've come across a surprising number of riders who regularly take a pillion but who mysteriously 'can't get their intercom to work' or 'sorry, the batteries are knackered, love'... Wink

ThunderGuts wrote:
DTBK wrote:
I don't know if it's that my ears are a funny shape or just aburdly small but... I don't know what the answer is and certainly don't know where to start looking for suitable ear plugs other than trial and error and potentially spending a small fortune in the process.

there are I believe companies who will make custom earplugs - perhaps an option?

There'a an outfit called Custom Fit Guards who regularly exhibit at the bike shows (never tried them as they are indeed expensive). FWIW, Missenden Flyer review here: https://youtu.be/ybH4LFY3DJA
You can also get DIY ones called LugGuards - I gave these a try myself but found them not great (but to be fair that may be because I'm a Yorkshireman and may have tried to eke the material out too far - YMMV). Personally I use posh Auritech earplugs - comfortable, effective, last for ever, and I can hear still hear Sally SatNav barking instructions at me OK.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent bit of olive oil on £4 silicon ear plugs creates a really effective seal and you can barely hear anything.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
A decent bit of olive oil on £4 silicon ear plugs creates a really effective seal and you can barely hear anything.

Good tip. I prefer these as I can never get the wretched 'twist and insert' foam ones to stay put and remain effective. Yes.. reach over with right hand to left ear pull out lug-hole etc.. etc.. still no ff-ing good.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah for biking you absolutely don't need to spend on custom fit bespoke earplugs if you know about how much olive oil can help

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 94 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2