Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS on its way - release 26th Jan

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:37 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Triumph Speed Triple 1200 RS on its way - release 26th Jan Reply with quote

https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/roadsters/coming-soon?sc_camp=6727CD7473B844029F65D5F3C1A24684&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3Y-ABhCnARIsAKYDH7vDBXWBQ2ZynmH5xePBW8n9hlEVIyNm0839yzvAP1foMdVYeuDq8sYaAiyoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/triumph-speed-triple/

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/PageFiles/684306/1440x960/Triumph-Speed-Triple-01.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Quite excited by this one as I'm a big fan of the Speed and nearly bought one (should have bought one) back in 2011 ish when the old round light model went out and the new face became a thing. Was looking at Speeds when I bought my R NineT but couldn't find one in the right colour / condition / price I was comfortable with given they were selling for about the same price as the new one I nearly bought all those years ago Shocked

Anyway, no official stats as yet but we're expecting:
Arrow 1200 cc (durr);
Arrow 175bhp ish with decent torque;
Arrow Alu subby hinting at keeping weight relatively low;
Arrow Probably a full set of the usual rider aids these days;
Arrow New set of headlights which just remind me a bit of:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/69640675.jpg

What do we think? Proper muscly naked or overdone pointless exercise?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:40 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny five is charitable. This was my first thought.
https://pestcontrolcharlottenc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Face-To-Face_With_Roach.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release is here, and Missendon Flyer has done a vid on it:

https://youtu.be/6tDalsm4y3g?t=108

Top facts:
£15,100 OTR.
Speed Triple RS 1050 discontinued - this is the only RS now.
1160cc.
178bhp.
125nm.
198kg wet weight (potentially 186k dry?).
Adjustable Ohlins.
Cornering ABS / Traction Control.

Headlights looks naff IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:25 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't they make one with a fairing?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why can't they make one with a fairing?

Wouldn't even need to be a full fairing. Something to keep the wind blast off the chest, sporty-looking.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess im officially old now because 178 bhp on a road bike seems crazy to me Shocked

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 27 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer the look of the first version with round headlamps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:02 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out it has electronically controlled linked brakes Shocked

Apparently it's 'not intrusive' and you wouldn't notice it on the road. Really..... hmm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Apparently it's 'not intrusive' and you wouldn't notice it on the road. Really..... hmm.

I think it's fine to have these things, electronic rider aids and all the rest, but there should always be the option to switch them off, or have a model that doesn't have them. We all have different riding styles, and perhaps model ranges should reflect this more.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

jpmiller
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:56 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I'm interested in this bike, but cannot find any reference to linked brakes?
Could you let me know the source of this info please?

Thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:30 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpmiller wrote:

Thanks

From the horse's mouth so to speak - in the video here (about 5 secs on from the start point):
https://youtu.be/Fl2NaWXX_Dc?t=149

Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Too be fair I don't really notice them on my Trophy now. A big improvement on the Honda linked brakes on my Goldwing.

Saying that I still don't see the need for them or the frightening cost if something goes wrong.

ABS is fine. Linked brakes are overkill in my view but hey, it's what the modern people want. Electronic overkill everywhere.

jpmiller
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:17 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
jpmiller wrote:

Thanks

From the horse's mouth so to speak - in the video here (about 5 secs on from the start point):
https://youtu.be/Fl2NaWXX_Dc?t=149

Thumbs Up

Arry,
Tanks for that, probably the only vid I didn't watch!!! I'm assuming that as it's run through the IMU/ECU it won't be the same as the old fashioned link brakes, and for the track it should be turn offable.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it does say 'electronically controlled' and I do find it odd they didn't mention whether or not you could actually turn it off. Not sure because they seem keen to delineate it from 'track' in every other part of that video.

I'd like to have a go at one, one day, just to see if it was the same grin inducing LOLZ as the outgoing ~2010 round-eye model that I loved very much.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 31 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwhelmed by the "modern" looks. The Rocket III looks way better, as does every other Triumph bike come to think of it.

SW Motech Shop UK
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of it and i am sure its a very special bike. I don't why they don't make a Daytona version of it. I would be interested if they do. I haven't really felt like owning a Triumph since the T595 came out in 97.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 30 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1