Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Health and Fitness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:02 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross trainer for the fullest body workout.

Rowing machine for a mostly full body workout but you'll want to have the technique correct.

Exercise bike for simplicity.

Other factors to consider include any health issues that could be aggravated by particular exercises and the different machines require different amounts of space. The amount of space is something you get to figure out yourself but if you've any concerns about health issues then speak with your GP before buying stuff.

The simplicity of exercise bikes isn't necessarily a bad thing as simple is good. Sure they don't burn quite as many calories as the other two do but you'd have to try quite hard to use an exercise bike incorrectly whereas the movements involved with cross trainers are unnatural and the movements involved with rowing machines are quite easy to unknowingly be doing wrongly.

I'd probably suggest an exercise bike because whilst they don't work as many muscle groups as the other two do, they provide a good cardiovascular workout which I think is what you're wanting.

What grr says is a good suggestion as you'd be able to participate in classes and groups which help with motivation. The big disadvantage is how gyms are renowned for making it a complete PITA to cancel membership.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The big disadvantage is how gyms are renowned for making it a complete PITA to cancel membership.

Pay by DD and when/if you've had enough simply cancel it at your bank.

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make your own little gym.

My small conservatory has a cheap exercise bike and cheapish weights bench. Along with a running machine of course.... for the lady.

Need some TV to watch though because working out for the sake of working out is really f*kin boring! Coming from a mountain biking background especially.

Last edited by DaddyStu on 15:54 - 27 Jun 2023; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:49 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I point out that it appears riding trials motorcycles is a hell of a workout and quite good fun into the bargain. There doesn't seem to be a bit of you it doesn't exercise.

Also a competative trial entry fee is less than a gym membership.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking a cross trainer might be a good compromise between an exercise bike and a rowing machine. Looking at YouTube on rowing machines it does look like a good technique is crucial. A gym sounds like a lycra nightmare though there is a Pure gym near me.
dave001 This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

dave001 wrote:
You can't cancel legally binding contracts by stoping paying

Fixed that for you. Wink

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did exactly that with Puregym. I was a member of one near where Nobby used to go to work which suited me
then, but there are closer places now I've moved. For me, even closer than my nearest Puregym. Some of the bigger
chains are offering non contract monthly memberships. I'm going to give The Gym Group a try as that's just 18.99
a month and a walkable distance from my house.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:08 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
near where Nobby used to go to work

Technically I still do, but I just don't go there. Was in there last week to swap out my laptop because sharepoint and excel decided they didn't like each other.

The ASDA is handy for sandwiches when you forget to take them with you.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:19 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I did exactly that with Puregym.

You had monthly membership without a contract?

https://www.puregym.com/membership-options/

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:23 - 27 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH Puregym has managed to last for years just there beside a place with some of the best fitness instructers in the country in it.

Admittedly you can't just buy a membership to our gym.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:25 - 28 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
grr666 wrote:
I did exactly that with Puregym.

You had monthly membership without a contract?

https://www.puregym.com/membership-options/

Yes, as per your link.

Quote:
MONTHLY MEMBERSHIPS
The most popular way to use PureGym. Our monthly packages all come with no contract, just the freedom to leave whenever you want to. Get ongoing access to one or more gyms at a range of price points to suit every pocket.

Payment was taken out of my account every 4 weeks, but there was no contract as such. At the time when I
first signed up with them in 2021 I wasn't in a financial position to sign up for any kind of binding contract.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 28 Jun 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

scan freecycle etc for free equipment. most home gym stuff becomes clothes hangers sooner or later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:03 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

74.76 miles cycling this morning with 4,637 feet of elevation gained.

(Ben Nevis is 4,413 foot and Everest is 29,030).

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

but 4,637 feet over 74.76 miles is a pretty gentle slope, unlike the sides of Ben Nevis.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Whats that in drop in air pressure?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:31 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 3 degrees

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 03 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

0.313 Bar atop Everest. How to simulate this on an exercise bike though? Placcy bag on head ?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:33 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the gradient is somewhat different to that of a mountain. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/nJbOVCx.png

Steepest climb in that is 280 ft in 0.98 miles which is 0.9645% of Everest.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Yeah the gradient is somewhat different to that of a mountain. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/nJbOVCx.png

Steepest climb in that is 280 ft in 0.98 miles which is 0.9645% of Everest.

Ok so the placcy bag is out but how does the gimp suit affect performance?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:43 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aerodynamics are important however if it's over a long period of time where you'll be sweating litres then you would boil.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Aerodynamics are important however if it's over a long period of time where you'll be sweating litres then you would boil.

Good to know.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:34 - 04 Jul 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's a long rambling post:

May last year I had a crash at Cadwell Park. There was an accident at Park corner ahead of me and so I rolled off the throttle because of the carnage. Many bikes moved line abreast to get around the debris and bikes that had gone off the track, and so I had to slow. I then got struck from behind by a GSXR600 revving out in top gear. Park straight has a sharp crest, so it's possible he didn't see me until the last minute? I don't really know. The impact flipped me over and I was injured. I had a suspected broken scaphoid in my left hand, heavy bruising to my right elbow and arm, heavy bruising on my right lower back (with a fist shaped bruise) and what turned out to be worse of all, some 'soft tissue damage' to my left ankle.

if you're interested, my bike carried on up hill and fell on its side and was pretty much undamaged apart from a huge dent on the swinging arm. I bought a replacement for £40 and had it fitted for about £100. My new friend on the GSXR broke his left hand (where he punched me in the back) and his bike flipped end over end, and was essentially cubed. Funny how things go, eh?

The hand healed on it's own, as did all the bruising, with the only other effect that I can't sit on a hard chair as long as I used to without getting a pain in my back/glutes.

The ankle however... Oh my damn left ankle. It's taken about a year for me to be able to walk properly and be able to walk distance, and I've been having physio on the ankle. I had an MRI back in March this year, and apparently there is all sorts of damage going on. There were bright tree like lines emanating from my ankle joint, and I'm told that means 'inflammation'. The person discussing the imagery with me told me that this was undoubtedly permanent damage and would be unlikely to ever heal. I also have a cone shaped achilles tendon which means the strength in my ankle is compromised. I do wonder how much of this comes from a previous accident I had in 2011 where I broke my left foot (and right wrist) and how much comes from the fact I have Hereditary Multiple Exostoces which is a bone disorder that resulted in deformation of my joints.

Anyway. I've been having physio and apparently in the ankle there are two joints. There is the main ankle joint, and below that is a joint called the 'Subtalar joint' which helps with secondary movement (such as foot twisting). It turns out the damage to my ankle caused the Subtalar joint to seize. The physio has been freeing it off, at which point I then excercise the foot joint to try to get the achilles tendon back to health. With the Subtalar joint seized, then the achilles is held in place, and can't heal (at least, that's my theory anyway!)

So at the last physio appointment my physio has shown me how to use my hands to free off the Subtalar joint. I have been practicing this and there is a terriffic crunching and popping when I do it.... but I do have more movement in my ankle now, and I can try to work on my achilles and get the strength back.

I've been going to my martial arts class and so on, but the weakness in my ankle does cause me issues. I'm getting there now, through sheer stubbornness, nagging of the NHS to do something and general hard training. Through force of will I will get back to as normal as I can get it, and I refuse to believe the evaluation that it probably won't heal. It has healed, it's just taken well over a year to get as far as I've got.

One final thought. I managed to get another referral to a surgeon back in March after convincing them to MRI the ankle. My physio turned up to the appointment in lieu of the surgeon himself, and he explained what the surgeon *could* offer for my injuries.

The ONLY thing the surgeon could offer me... was.. wait for it... Putting a nail in my heel to completely lock the joint solid. F*ck that for a game of soldiers! I'm not essentially paralyzing myself just because I have a bit of weakness and some pain in my ankle. I'd rather put up with the pain than be unable to change gear on a bike. I don't know if other types of people would somehow accept this, but I thought it was bollocks. I thought that at least they could have offered me corticosteroid injections or something... something more than putting a f*cking nail in my heel.

I don't really blame the NHS. When you only have a hammer you tend to hit everything don't you? But I just felt that another treatment plan would have been better, even if I just tried something else for a bit before considering surgery. When you get famous sportspeople with this type of injury the medics come up with treatment plans that don't involve seizing a whole joint in the body.

I've maintained for ages that the NHS are great at treatment for acute maladies, but absolutely shocking at dealing with chronic problems. It seems I've been proven right in this case - Although my physio treatment has been top notch and was way better than I had when I broke my wrist and foot back in 2011

I want to be back to full fitness and I'm going to jolly well be back to full fitness even if it takes another year.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9