Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Health and Fitness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:06 - 17 Jan 2021    Post subject: 2021 Health and Fitness Reply with quote

AKA the "How the fuck did we all make it through 2020 intact?" thread.

I'm still mostly following the low-carb thingie, which is suiting me quite nicely.

I could lose more, and quickly. But I want to allow myself to be able to eat the odd bit of bread or pasta and still manage what I am eating.
Dropped a definite couple of stone, and feeling a thousand times better physically.

Also, I'm not doing a lot of exercise (although tackling the garden today was quite energetic for me. I did a lot of shouting in the process)

I'm definitely noticing a serious increase in energy in the last month or so. Some days, I'm like the Energiser bunny
Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! Bounce! Bounce!
Other days, not so much Laughing

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. good to hear. Sloth begets slot I've heard so anyting active is good.
I despise exercise just of the sake of it (although I have on occasion committed to bouts of preparation training) In general though physical jerks of a constructive nature suit me best (cycling to work, sawing wood, tilling the soil etc..)

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:40 - 18 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually trained pretty hard over 2020, I've been trying to do 3 times a week for a few years now, plus my martial arts class etc. In 2020 I honestly only missed about 3 training sessions, each time doing my full workout, which if I do quickly takes about 2.5 hours including stretching. I've also been doing zoom classes of various types, and a bit of yoga on top.

Christmas did screw me up a bit. My fitness has not dropped off, but I did put on half a stone over the Christmas holiday. I think I should be able to lose it again quickly though.

I'm also constantly nursing low level injuries, with a recent discovery that I've damaged my left shoulder rotator cuff. It's not torn, but it's weaker than it should be, so I'm now doing physio on it. I did have a suspected hernia for a lot of 2020 too, but the pressure I felt in my leg and abdomen seems to have abated. Lucky it's all not too serious and doesn't need surgery, as I've been referred for an ultrasound to check if I do have a hernia and I've not heard anything at all. Unsurprising due to Covid though.

If I do have a hernia, pounds will get you pence that they'll want to operate in the Summer during peak riding season... Ugh. Let's hope it's not anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:33 - 19 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still doing as much as I can, and still trying to include some cardio where I can.
Typical workouts are one to one and a half hours, as high intensity as I can manage.
Currently using a version of the drop set approach with weights - I try something different every now and again, for variation and to find what works best for me.
Continuing to see improvements, both in performance and physical appearance (still ugly though Laughing ).
Still ignoring the fact that I'm, er, asymmetrical due to my left shoulder being foreshortened after reconstruction, but what the heck. Working out still makes me feel good, and that's my main motivator, with boredom being a secondary one Rolling Eyes
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to stay fit.

Ive run just over 3 miles a day, everyday, for 16 days straight now.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the fookity fook do you keep motivated doing this?

Over the past 6 months or so I've done more exercise (2 - 45 min cardio body weight on-line training sessions through work) plus walking the dog 3 or 4 miles a day and cut out lots of junk food. Never being huge, I went from 12 st 7 to 11 10 and was more than happy with it, but just wanting to lose a bit more.

I even did some additional exercise over Christmas but the past week or so, I just can't be arsed. I'm back on the bread, biscuits and crisps regularly rather than the odd treat and consequently have put a couple of lbs back on. I'm also seriously considering not doing the training tomorrow.

It's got so bad, I'm asking on here for help, yup that desperate...

I do have loads of other 5hit going on a the moment and so not feeling my usual perky self so that may be part of the problem.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 20 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: 2021 Health and Fitness Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
AKA the "How the fuck did we all make it through 2020 intact?" thread.

Well, I got two fake teeth in 2020, so intact is a strong word, but otherwise, I'm doing alright. Razz

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard tell you can wank yourself fitter - so I reckon I'll be giving that a go in 2021..

.. mind you not sure it worked in 2020 Confused

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:53 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the dawning of the age of ... group Zoom wanking fitness classes.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Re: 2021 Health and Fitness Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Well, I got two fake teeth in 2020, so intact is a strong word, but otherwise, I'm doing alright. Razz

Not to worry. I'm not sure I've got more than several halves of my own left these days Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:53 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

Over the past 6 months or so I've done more exercise (2 - 45 min cardio body weight on-line training sessions through work) plus walking the dog 3 or 4 miles a day and cut out lots of junk food. Never being huge, I went from 12 st 7 to 11 10 and was more than happy with it, but just wanting to lose a bit more.

I even did some additional exercise over Christmas but the past week or so, I just can't be arsed. I'm back on the bread, biscuits and crisps regularly rather than the odd treat and consequently have put a couple of lbs back on. I'm also seriously considering not doing the training tomorrow.

It's got so bad, I'm asking on here for help, yup that desperate...

I do have loads of other 5hit going on a the moment and so not feeling my usual perky self so that may be part of the problem.

Make it a habit. It's the only way to do it. If you do something in a routine for 3 weeks, it starts to become habit. Make yourself feel a bit bad if you don't do it. Don't buy the bad food. Come up with a bunch of meals that are healthy and keep stuff in to make those meals.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blah blah wrote:

I have a word with myself, literally.

I'm an Olympic class procrastinator, so I discovered that if I say things out loud, e.g., "Come on old girl, you know you're perfectly capable of doing that, stop telling yourself you can't!" - then it seems to work better than if I just try to think it instead.

Yes it does make me sound like a mad bag lady, but fuck it - works for me.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
This is the dawning of the age of ... group Zoom wanking fitness classes.

Shocked Shocked yeh ok count me in Shocked Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

17th day straight running 3+miles

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I'm an Olympic class procrastinator,
Oooh, is that the one where you fly down a slope laying on a tea tray?

I have been out for a few rides on a push bike. Is it me or is everywhere up-fucking-hill? Sometimes I get off to push it through a narrow bit or a chicane and my feet don't hit the floor properly cos my legs have gone a bit wobbly.

It's also hard to not look shattered or pant like a perve when passing people slowly walking towards you, it's the cycling equivalent of pulling your pot belly in until people have walked by.

Edit, as a traffic engineer, I still hate proper cyclists!

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some help with my fitness goals gang...

I've not been in any kind of shape since I left uni 6 years ago (played sports there, so was training 3-4 times a week plus games and other stuff). Since then I've pretty much chubbed out. Bad diet and little exercise is a bad combo.

This year, I intend to get my weight down and build up my strength etc. Got a decent enough regime that I'm slipping back into gently (I work 4 days a week so workout on my days off). First couple of months are about building up to a decent 90min or so workout, so from end of Feb I should be getting into full swing.

I'm having a little trouble monitoring the old heart rate. I'm having to stop myself regularly, count beats for 20sec and do the maths for bpm. So could use something that actively monitors, allowing me to glance at it and know if I'm in the safe zone, or if I need to pick it up a bit or ease off a little. Looking at fitness trackers like fitbits etc. Budget is 100quid tops and don't want to have to pay a subscription. Don't need owt fancy, might go for the odd run with the pooch or a cycle or something so GPS would be nice, although not necessary. And some means of inputting food consumption would probably be a good idea, as I tend to shovel a little too much in at times... Theres plenty of them out there, but need to know which are worth the money and which ones are shit.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:00 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Make it a habit. It's the only way to do it. If you do something in a routine for 3 weeks, it starts to become habit. Make yourself feel a bit bad if you don't do it. Don't buy the bad food. Come up with a bunch of meals that are healthy and keep stuff in to make those meals.

Virtually every meal is home made by me anyway as I enjoy the process of cooking and with the radio on it helps me wind down so it isn't junk / processed / full of fat or salt. The exercise was a habit to such an extent that people at work knew not to ring during those times, but the last week or so, meh...

What I need to do is get back in the habit, the training sessions are recorded (the wonders of modern technology) so there's nothing stopping me from doing some over the weekend

hellkat wrote:

I have a word with myself, literally.

I'm an Olympic class procrastinator, so I discovered that if I say things out loud, e.g., "Come on old girl, you know you're perfectly capable of doing that, stop telling yourself you can't!" - then it seems to work better than if I just try to think it instead.

Yes it does make me sound like a mad bag lady, but fuck it - works for me.

I will also have a word with myself.

And in a small way, I think that sticking something on here has helped me as it means that I'll have to update this thread at some point so I'll need to do it.

Thanks Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 23 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 19 ran 3.2 miles. On what feels like the 57th of January.

Started doin core work again, properly, gonna try and build back up to 100+ strict form press ups every other day

now the missus birthday is out the way, and Xmas is a memory, avoiding sugar and cake might be easier. Need to lose some weight, but age is catchng me up.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:53 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Need some help with my fitness goals gang...

I've not been in any kind of shape since I left uni 6 years ago (played sports there, so was training 3-4 times a week plus games and other stuff). Since then I've pretty much chubbed out. Bad diet and little exercise is a bad combo.

This year, I intend to get my weight down and build up my strength etc. Got a decent enough regime that I'm slipping back into gently (I work 4 days a week so workout on my days off). First couple of months are about building up to a decent 90min or so workout, so from end of Feb I should be getting into full swing.

I'm having a little trouble monitoring the old heart rate. I'm having to stop myself regularly, count beats for 20sec and do the maths for bpm. So could use something that actively monitors, allowing me to glance at it and know if I'm in the safe zone, or if I need to pick it up a bit or ease off a little. Looking at fitness trackers like fitbits etc. Budget is 100quid tops and don't want to have to pay a subscription. Don't need owt fancy, might go for the odd run with the pooch or a cycle or something so GPS would be nice, although not necessary. And some means of inputting food consumption would probably be a good idea, as I tend to shovel a little too much in at times... Theres plenty of them out there, but need to know which are worth the money and which ones are shit.

Way over my head, sweetie.
Haven't quite got out of the neanderthal zone, fitness wise.
Thought very vaguely about the benefit of something to check my blood pressure just on a day to day basis, but that's still too much reality for me to cope with.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:24 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

If I do have a hernia, pounds will get you pence that they'll want to operate in the Summer during peak riding season... Ugh. Let's hope it's not anything.

Tell them to fuck off and reschedule for winter.

In 2020 I slipped a disc in around April or May, flared up and got really bad from June to December.

So no riding during lockdown 1, then slipped disc for the rest of the year, then cold. Don't waste your chance of the first summer in 18 months on something that can be pushed back.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:08 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I eat too much protein and sugar, I get gout. If I eat too many carbs and fats I get reflux.

Sucks.

However the trick is to not eat too much of anything.

I've blobbed out since lockdown, just stoped bothering my arse doing anything.

Tai chi has started again twice a week now, albeit on zoom. I've been out in the canoe twice this weekend.

I have high hopes for trials motorcycle riding when I finally finish the bike. I've not done as much cardio or strength work for years as I did in my first competative trial last year.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 25 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isolation and lockdown really suck the life out of me when it comes to training/exercise.
I hate trying to do exercise on my own.

I was all happy just before Christmas as I had found some Krav Maga training near to my new home.
I enjoy training in a class, it motivates me to try and keep up Evil or Very Mad
And now it’s all been postponed until after lockdown Evil or Very Mad ,
Being a contact thing, I doubt it will be any time soon before it will resume?

I’m even finding it hard NOT to keep raiding the fridge Sad .

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 consecutive days of running, last 3 have been trail runs cos of snow and ice the pavements are too risky

today I was determined not to do any u-turns, so put on knee length sealskinz socks and some old leather Timberland trail shoes with studs, pretty exhausting actually running through icey muddy flood plains, and snow drifts, average speed way slower. I normally jog around 9min miles, I was doing over 11mins and struggling, ran 5 miles though, but thought twice about a fast flowing ford as I didn't want to get swept off my feet

diet is still - meh, so, so

core is steadily building, but need to up the effort and use my squat rack and loose weights a bit more too

no idea what my weight is, have't been on scales for years, I'd reckon I am on the cusp of healthy BMI on the heavy side of the scale.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 26 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I enjoy training in a class, it motivates me to try and keep up Evil or Very Mad

yeah i did full contact karate, and later tang soo do, and whilst I was never very good at either (and I certainly never, ever would have fought in a ring proper full contact like some of my classmates did) I was at my fittest.

Tonight I'll probably do 40 or 50 sit ups. I'll never push myself to do 100 or 200, but I did in group training, if my mates were keeping going, I would keep going.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 26. Ran 3.5 miles with a windchill of minus 4

Ran 4.5 miles yeterday back from hospital outpatients

Quads a bit sore.

Legs have changed shape, the pronounced cycling muscle has gone, other muscles bulging out. Shocked

Still struggling not to eat crap, my wife is some sort of sugar pusher, keeps making cakes etc
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9