Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Health and Fitness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:13 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Do you want to know how my fitness 'regime' is going? Probably not.

Yeah sure why not?

And if some people are wanting to tell others how their regime is going then that's good.

What you're saying is that you want more people to document in detail what they're doing and how they progress?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I don't mind if you really want a health and fitness 2022 thread. Go for it Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's even done a 2022 Spill Counter and we're already into March Rolling Eyes

We're going down the pan, BCF Folded arms

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Nobody's even done a 2022 Spill Counter and we're already into March Rolling Eyes

We're going down the pan, BCF Folded arms

Nobody has got back on a bike yet! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:01 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we have a 'sitting on the sofa bingewatching sci-fi whilst drinking Stella' thread instead?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:09 - 03 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Can we have a 'sitting on the sofa bingewatching sci-fi whilst drinking Stella' thread instead?

Why not? I think that's the idea of the 'new thread' button!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I didn’t mind a can of brew when I used to watch ‘Westworld’. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread in one gif... Thinking

https://v.redd.it/z1lm1ec69y981/DASH_480.mp4

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:06 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Monday runday funday of the winter complete. Dance!

I say it was the last one, Nobby's noblet pointed out that it's not the last one if we keep going organising it ourselves. Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing

Tomorrow was meant to be the last circuit training session but it's been cancelled for covid related reasons which is annoying as it was going to involve doing the bleep test and other such things to see how much everyone has improved Sad

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Do you want to know how my fitness 'regime' is going? Probably not.

Yeah sure why not?

And if some people are wanting to tell others how their regime is going then that's good.

Ok, I’m here because I think I’ve actually got something quite positive to report Smile

In June of this year I will have been doing this exercise lark for 4 years. There have been ups and downs, sometimes lapses of a month or so when I felt too low to do anything, but on the whole, I’ve kept at it. And I have just had a period of 16 days where I’ve done some kind of workout every day, a bit of a record for me.

But that’s not what I came here to say.
In the past I have broken my left elbow quite severely twice, and lost some of the range of movement in both flexion and extension.
I have recently noticed what appears to be an improvement in that range of motion Smile
Perhaps a couple of degrees, maybe even as much as 3 or 4 in extension. And I can now touch my shoulder in flexion, something I haven’t been able to do for some years.

Don’t think I’ve gained any more movement in the shoulder, but it does feel a bit freer through the range it has got, and it handles everything much better than it used to do, when I used to be very protective of it.

So anyway, I’m quite pleased with that result! Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:58 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought I'd post on a thread like this ... doing things to keep fit has never been something I do, and at just over 55 didn't think I ever would.

Couldn't have been more wrong!!

Back in September (last year) I spent a few days having quite big heart attacks, although I only had what seemed like mild indigestion (no pain at all) ... thankfully I listened to my big sister and on the 4th day called an ambulance.

Anyhoo, after I got out of the hospital I started walking every day ... started at a couple of thousand steps (very hard work) and worked my way up to about 8k (minimum) a day ... which for me was a complete miracle.

I felt as though it was getting harder to do the daily walks just before Christmas, so stopped walking for a few weeks ... and in January I dropped dead from a cardiac arrest, luckily some lovely people who just happened to be passing brought me back.

I've had a pacemaker fitted and have now after a few months started walking again. It was taking me around 30 mins to walk a mile a week or so ago, but now taking around 18-19 mins, so an improvement already.

I've really lost the plot now and have just bought a mountain bike!

Should be picking it up on Saturday ... then I've a 7 mile trek back home on it ... will be the first time I've been on a bicycle in about 40 years ... should be fun.

I'm not kidding myself I'll become a fitness freak, but at least I'm now doing a bit to try and get a bit fitter. I also need to lose some weight as I've piled it on since my January incident.

All the best ... Barry

P.S. Away out for for my evening walk to get me up to my 5k steps a day (my minimum daily target for the moment).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Never thought I'd post on a thread like this ... (etc)

Very well done!

Quote:
I'm not kidding myself I'll become a fitness freak...

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I think I'm addicted to it now!
I too am 55, with a number of physical problems, and some undiagnosed 'condition', which incidentally the exercise regime seems to keep at bay Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:22 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all well and good but I snapped a kayak paddle whilst using it on Saturday. Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
That's all well and good but I snapped a kayak paddle whilst using it on Saturday. Mr. Green

Try not to hit people so hard with it in future.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 29 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m going to be checking out a gym next week.

I just want to try and improve my breathing and flexibility after a REALLY bad bout of this covid nonsense in 2020 .
I stopped all exercise at first and over the last two years , I’ve been trying to get a little bit of an improvement in my fitness.

I go to Judo once a week, but I have to take it easy, they’re all younger and fitter than me Laughing .

I don’t want a gym full of muscle freaks and skinny vegetarians looking down their nose at a fat bloke puffing and blowing on the running machine Shocked .

We shall see?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Who cares about what other people think ... you're doing it for yourself not them!

Will be no different to me on a mountain bike ... huffing and puffing just about thinking riding it Smile

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
^^^ Who cares about what other people think ... you're doing it for yourself not them!

Will be no different to me on a mountain bike ... huffing and puffing just about thinking riding it Smile

You’re right. I don’t care if they do want to sneer, they can f*ck off Thumbs Up .
It’s just sad that some people are like that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:38 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I don’t want a gym full of muscle freaks and skinny vegetarians looking down their nose at a fat bloke puffing and blowing on the running machine Shocked .

Why not?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
pepperami wrote:

Why not?

Muscle freaks Sick Puke
Skinny self righteous vegetarians Tut Tut Eh? Hand .

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 08:41 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the mountain bike yesterday .... Jesus feck, I'm old!!

Did a total of 11 miles yesterday (took about 3 hours to do 8 of those), first time on a bicycle for about 40 years ... and it's a lot harder than I remember Laughing

My thighs were burning at the slightest incline, and the flats weren't much better ... it's even slightly sore walking this morning ... I really hope it gets easier as I spend more time on it.

I taped three layers of high density foam to the saddle before I set off, but my backside was still killing me ... hopefully the new saddle I ordered will arrive this week.

I remember cycling from Glasgow to Largs and back when I were young ... a round trip of about 70 miles ... let's just say I won't be doing that any time soon Very Happy

All the best ... Barry

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puttin' some miles on that pacemaker already, young man. Mr. Green Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:35 - 03 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
I taped three layers of high density foam to the saddle before I set off, but my backside was still killing me ... hopefully the new saddle I ordered will arrive this week.

Adding layers of foam on your saddle can in fact make things worse as when sat on the foam you're putting weight and pressure on your peanus and sensitive areas.

Keep pedaling though and you'll posting be on cyclechatforums.com in no time. Shocked

https://i.redd.it/w590sxwq6wl81.jpg

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 07:24 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ The dangly bits were pain free, just the bones which were aching a bit!

Hopefully more time in the saddle will toughen things up a bit, but until then I've ordered the following ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383782360492

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:27 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big wide saddle because big wide bum?

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 08:54 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Bigger than it used to be I suppose ... was 28" waist, now at 34" .

Hopefully start losing a bit of weight over the next few months so less weight on the seated area eventually Smile

All the best ... Barry

P.S. New bike away back to be replaced by another new bike ... one of the threaded inserts for the water bottle (or whatever) mount was just spinning in the hole!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9