Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Health and Fitness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am disappointed Sad .
I’ve found a gym near where I live that could? possibly cater for my needs.
For example they do classes for the not so experienced/unfit that won’t give you an instant heart attack .
They do drop in/no contract policy, so I don’t need to join for an entire year.
They had punch-bags for boxing exercises , so somewhere for me to vent my frustrations!

Sadly the musak was so loud, I had to raise my voice to speak to the trainer I was talking to Confused .
And secondly, the prices were a bit steep Sad .

On a good note, no muscle-bound freaks were spotted Laughing .

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 17:10 - 05 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Get your own headphones on and listen to your own sounds ... might make it bearable!

My cycling career is on hold ... had to take the 3 day old bike back and order a new one ... all because one of the captive threaded inserts isn't captive ... just spins round and round when I try and undo the allen screw!

Hope things work out for you.

All the best ... Barry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:16 - 07 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 5km time trial of the year yesterday which I thought went well or at least I thought that until I inquired about what my time was.

1 minute slower than last year?!? Rolling Eyes

Meh whatever, turns out that nearly everyone was slower because it was windy. Sad

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 04:26 - 09 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the wife made me join a 24hr gym (swear she secretly hates me and is waiting for the life ins pay out ((1m ish)).

Sad too say am actually enjoying it, more for the laugh/perv factor than owt else.

Laughing is at the idiots making stupid noise's. No idea what that is about,
Perving well the missus has an awesome ass and can't help meself. Very Happy Very Happy

So down to business.

Like rowwing, it is fun and a can disappear for 10mins or half hour.
Aim for 2100m in 10mins.
But have pushed it to 6.5km 30mins.

Since not doing any 'workouts' we have discovered, my right shoulder is absolutely fecked. Too much fun in the 'warped' years. She is doing shruggy stuff with 15kg and am bearly able to do 5kg without it feeling like me arm will be ripped off.

Never really been sure on the problem.
It honestly feels like, someone with massive hands has hold of my whole shoulder and is trying to dislocate it by force.

Not being stupid with any of the stuff. If anything it's be wound back. And not using certain stuff. Because not really in the mood to do some serious damage.

So anyone give me some stuff to do please.
And please break it down, because ama bit simple and new to this stuff.

Thankyou

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 09 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SpiritMr89 have a look here for proper way to do things. It
is *very* easy to ruin the shoulder with the wrong stuff, which is often taught in classes and gyms.. www.youtube.com/c/athleanx/videos

Ive been doing a lot of runs in March. First time Ive managed 200km in a month, 67km one week and 33km in one run. Collecting a few strava CR's and pb's but Im still eating too much, stuck at 83kg. I need to cut carbs and stir frys and go back to salad + steak dinners.

New shoes while they are cheap, these are excellent, light weight shoes that are comfortable for distance... except when half size small, getting toe blisters, so I got a new pair of 11's. I was going to order more while they are cheap but its the last one. Done 200km on the old pair.

https://i.postimg.cc/6pTbxzR0/IMG-20220409-125223.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:55 - 09 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayaking sessions this morning were highly successful and highly fun.

First up is an hour with the fast adult group which I've only been paddling with for a couple of months. It's really hard work as a group of 12-15 boats makes a lot of choppy water and some of the group are incredibly fast but I think that I'm getting better. Laughing

Then it's an hour coaching the junior group with someone else from the fast group. For one reason or another lots of things clicked into place with some of their paddling today, they're listening and paying attention and then being faster as a result. Plus I have permission from more of their owners that I'm completely allowed to tip them in if they're being stupid / disruptive / annoying. Dance!

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 10 Apr 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Kayaking sessions this morning were highly successful and highly fun.

First up is an hour with the fast adult group which I've only been paddling with for a couple of months. It's really hard work as a group of 12-15 boats makes a lot of choppy water and some of the group are incredibly fast but I think that I'm getting better. Laughing

Then it's an hour coaching the junior group with someone else from the fast group. For one reason or another lots of things clicked into place with some of their paddling today, they're listening and paying attention and then being faster as a result. Plus I have permission from more of their owners that I'm completely allowed to tip them in if they're being stupid / disruptive / annoying. Dance!

Miss kayak, used to do polo and freestyle play boat.
One one point was going to Tamworth to get into Olympic team, smash me self and lost out.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 11 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Judo tonight, a particularly vigorous session Shocked .
I got thrown around like a chew toy at Battersea Dog Home Shocked Shocked .

Oh fugking Hell, I ache Black Eye !

Last edited by pepperami on 10:40 - 12 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

alli09
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 06:14 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a gym and had a training with my coach. I have osteochondrosis so I need to exercise in a careful way. Thanks God I can drive my BMW bike with this desease!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have finally hit on a method I can use to get some cardio and lose this last bit of stubborn fat. Stairs!
Put some sounds on, and up and down I go. Sets of 50 or 100 times, up and down. 15mins to half an hour.
Knees won't let me run, don't have and can't afford a bicycle, any exercises that impact the knees are out.
Two weeks in of doing this a fair bit and the love handles are gone, and not much left to pinch on the belly.
Sounds boring, but I really don't notice the passage of time with some loud rock music playing as I go Smile

I also do a bit of speed walking on the riverside path now and again, and I have put together a little "martial arts" training session (start with dynamic stretching in the form of swing kicks, blade kicks, crescent kicks, then on to front, roundhouse, side, spinning back and hook kicks, then punch combinations, full power - a bit over an hour of work altogether), which also seems to give a fairly good cardio result. I'm never going to consider myself a martial artist, but it's enjoyable, and with limited options, anything I can actually do is a bonus!

Still trying to fit in all the weight training to build something in place of the disappearing flab, but it couldn't get rid of it by itself. Major advantage is the variation of options, which keeps it all a bit more interesting.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Have finally hit on a method I can use to get some cardio and lose this last bit of stubborn fat. Stairs!

I used stairs as an exercise a lot when I was in full time work.
When everyone was using the lift, I’d take the stairs.
Worked for me Thumbs Up

Last edited by pepperami on 21:08 - 16 May 2022; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:24 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/PeJF6bB.jpg

Racing the popes canoe, oh you better believe thats a paddlin'.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 15 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/duN914G.jpg

3rd place, that'll do.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:58 - 16 May 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a fun day out. Mr. Green

Really early start, needed to be at the club for 7:45 as me and nobby's noblet are getting a lift with someone. Up at 6, nobbys house at 7, leaving at 7:20. Noblet was only a bit nervous about racing for the first time. Up at 6 was because noblet was intending on getting up then so I wanted to be awake so I could phone him then to confirm he's awake and alive. It worked exactly as planned and I think that's because we both went to bed suitably early on Saturday

Two laps of a four mile loop and I held first place for half of the first lap. First turn was around a buoy, second turn was a portage which is where you get out, run with the boat and then get back in. Now the getting out point was in shallow water rather than the edge of a bank and there wasn't much space and someone was getting out in front of me. I reckon the water is shallow enough that I can get out here rather than waiting to pull in where the boat in front of me is. Lets see if I can touch the bottom of the river with my hand as it can't be very deep. You can probably guess what happened next as it involved a splash as I discovered the water was deeper than I'd hoped. Laughing

Yeah whatever, empty boat, meh people saying about be careful the bank is slippy where you get back in, yeah whatever, run a couple of hundred meters with the boat and then I see the getting back in point oh fuck, that's a steep muddy bank, marshall people saying to go carefully down the edge of it where there are some bits of grass still. No, watch this, it'll be far easier just sliding down on your bum whilst holding the boat alongside you. Blah blah blah don't do that go to the edge of it!!

That worked perfectly apart from I'm quite muddy and I've got to get back in the boat so the inside of the boat is now muddy as well. Laughing

Back past the start finish for the second time. The races before mine included all the juniors who I'd been shouting encouragement / abuse at them during their races. So it turns out that if I've been shouting at each and every of the juniors from our club as they've going past in their race, when I'm on the water they're shouting at me to go faster, why aren't you go faster, try harder, come on, etc etc etc.

Second lap to the first turn buoy was uneventful, back past the start finish where they're still shouting loudly at me.

Paddled a bit more, keep paddling, must be starting to get near to the portage place now, splash. Oh. Woops. Swim to the edge and ah, it's shallow enough to easily empty the boatg. Back in, couple more corners and there's the portage get out point. No falling in this time and the marshalls at the getting back in point are now telling people to slide down the slope on their bums rather than trying to walk down the edges. Mr. Green

Uneventful last bit of the race to the finish line, no time for slacking though.

There for a couple of hours after the race, prize giving thing, boats all loaded up and off we go with our lift back to the club. Worst bit of the day was cycling home from there in the rain.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 08 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started walking to the local shops, rather than nipping up there in the car.
Not so terrible in the good weather.
And it gets a few limbs moving Thumbs Up

Also this boat I bought, kin-ell! , scrambling on and off that thing is an exercise in itself Shocked

SpiritMr89
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naffed me shoulder.

Apparently it is 'hyper unstable' physio dislocated twice, then at 0500, after 6hrs in hos the doc did it again.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:15 - 14 Jul 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiritMr89 wrote:
Naffed me shoulder.

Apparently it is 'hyper unstable' physio dislocated twice, then at 0500, after 6hrs in hos the doc did it again.

If the problem is dislocation due to hypermobility - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/joint-hypermobility-syndrome/ - generally being a very stretchy person, you can have an operation to fix whatever got damaged in the dislocations and shorten the tendons or ligaments (I forget which is which).

I had it done a few years ago, means I can trust the shoulder again.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Went to Judo tonight, a particularly vigorous session Shocked .
I got thrown around like a chew toy at Battersea Dog Home Shocked Shocked .

Oh fugking Hell, I ache Black Eye !

I have stuck at judo, I do not find it at all easy, and am still a white belt. Never got an "ippon" in Randori, never done anything, but I did make someone tap out once in ne-waza and they meant it Very Happy

and last week someone commented that I did not seem so out of breath and commended me for not sitting out any randori, met Peter Blewett he took a lesson and he said my drop seo nagi was okay.

But yeah, its really, really hard.

Also, back running and cycling, and got my weight back down again.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All martial arts are off the menu for me at the moment Crying or Very sad .
I’ve not long had eye surgery and have to be a bit careful at the moment.

Looking forward to getting back in the swing of it in September Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 22 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

I have stuck at judo, I do not find it at all easy, and am still a white belt.
But yeah, its really, really hard.

Belts and grades are not the be-all and end-all Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:38 - 19 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

First race of the 2023 series yesterday and it went excellently even if it the stretch of water was horrible due to having metal amco sides for most of the way which makes for very choppy waters as wash from boats bounces straight off it.

Did well enough to get promoted to the next division up which wasn't part of the master plan as now I've got to race against faster people. Doh!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 20 Sep 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at Judo tomorrow, Shocked , puff wheeze puff wheeze!, ooi ow eek! Hurt

EDIT: that went better than I expected Smile .
A hard session, but I coped , I even managed to get positive feedback from my instructor Thumbs Up .
And yes I ache! from the top of my head to the soles of my feet Shocked !

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:36 - 01 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a nice relaxing bicycle ride yesterday and did the equivalent of 5.7% of the height of Everest.

Going kayak racing tomorrow all the way down in Fowey, Cornwall which is on an exposed tidal estuary. And we're leaving at 0350 in the morning. Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good "martial arts" training session today, good for cardio among other things, given my limited ability to get that kind of a workout.
Wish I had a kick bag though. I'm worried that one of these days I'll lock a knee out and do some (further Rolling Eyes ) damage.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 Oct 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came second at Fowey on Sunday and racing again this weekend. Luckily this time it's about 10 miles away rather than 180 miles.

Monthly 5km time trial this evening and it was the fastest I've done it.

Thought I was running late going to training on Monday so I set a new fastest time for cycling from home to the club.

Tomorrow is a cycling day rather than kayaking, last weeks relaxing bicycle ride was 48.2 miles so I think tomorrow will have to be at least 50 miles.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9