Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2021 Health and Fitness

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
my wife is some sort of sugar pusher, keeps making cakes etc

Its a coping mechanism.
Laughing

I still think about making cakes, etc. Now and again I miss chocolate cake dreadfully. Been managing to keep the desire at bay for a while, but I did buy some ground almond "flour" and tried out a keto banana bread that worked extremely well.

Thinking of trying ginger loaf next. Cool I've got a bit of a crystallised ginger fetish, and it would be nice minced up and put into a nice loaf to have spread thick with butter. Drooling

Or maybe soft ginger cookies Thinking

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:22 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:

Still struggling not to eat crap, my wife is some sort of sugar pusher, keeps making cakes etc

My other half does that some times - She gets it from her mother. She says to me "My mum would never say if she liked one of my fellers or not, she's got the perfect poker face." And then when I go around To the in laws, MIL has made me 3 different varieties of my favourite cake... Hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's trying to kill you off.
Ruining your arteries.
Death by heart attack.

"Such a lovely son in law, he was, what a shame" Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:36 - 30 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
She's trying to kill you off.
Ruining your arteries.
Death by heart attack.

"Such a lovely son in law, he was, what a shame" Laughing

No, I don't see her often enough. From what I understand I'm a cut above the previous ones OH has brought home before... *shrug*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Still struggling not to eat crap, my wife is some sort of sugar pusher, keeps making cakes etc

https://www.rouming.cz/archived/Diet_another_day_01-02-2012.jpg

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've managed 3 workouts a week without fail since the start of the year (40-50min), doing a mix of strength and cardio. Body is definitely changing shape. Can push myself more and longer, which is great. Got something going on in the abdominal area, although my hips are still on the squishy side and I havent lost very much weight yet... but that said, I keep being left unattended with sweets Embarassed

Not really sure what my goal is. Preventing an early death from heart attack maybe. Beach body would be nice but, being realistic, I like food. And not the good kinds of food.

Poseidon wrote:
I'm having a little trouble monitoring the old heart rate. I'm having to stop myself regularly, count beats for 20sec and do the maths for bpm. So could use something that actively monitors, allowing me to glance at it and know if I'm in the safe zone, or if I need to pick it up a bit or ease off a little. Looking at fitness trackers like fitbits etc. Budget is 100quid tops

Went with the garmin vivosmart 4. Found one on offer for 75quid. Seems like it'll do what I want it to. If its any good ill pop a review up maybe.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 04 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of cardio do you do, Mr. Poseidon? I keep myself in useable state by strengthening my core* (plank, push ups, kettlebells), but I can't force my self to do any cardio during my winter bicycle break. I do own a bicycle trainer, but I don't find any joy in pedaling my bike while not going anywhere. My idle heart rate alrady got up since my last proper ride on my bike in early december. EDIT: We, do get snow and sub zero temperatures here.

*I've got to keep my core strong, so my back doesn't hurt. I'm a rather tall lad, 195cm (6.4ft) and my day job consists of 40 hours a week of sitting on my arse doing lawyer stuff.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, day 31, running every day, I've stepped up from running a min of 3 miles a day, to running a min of 4 miles a day today, and perhaps in 30 days time, will step up to 5 miles, we shall see

core coming on, press ups, squats crunches, cant do pull ups cos too fat, cant do incline pull ups with suspension rope cos broken finger

started using the olympic bar again, and can do overhead press, just 30 kilos no bother

done a few olympic squats,

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
What kind of cardio do you do, Mr. Poseidon?

Varies depending on weather. Sometimes I'll go for a run or a cycle, but if the weather is shit I'll just type hiit cardio into YouTube and pick one with a hot female to ogle whilst getting sweaty. Not the most scientific way of finding a decent workout, but hey, I'm actually doing it!

(As an aside, I too am a tall chap. 6ft3 and I've noticed I don't get as many aches and pains since doing core strength work! Hadnt even considered thats what the problem was! I'm also 107kg, which I believe puts me into obese Shocked ... really must kerb my sweet addiction)

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 05 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 32, I got carried away and ran too fast, got a string of Strava PRs was doing sub 7.5 minute miles at one point

calf really hurts, but I think i'll be okay to do a couple of "recovery runs" and keep the streak going, as I have run with other aches and pains.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:19 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but these days I can usually "jog" up the steps at Plaistow tube station.
This is just about my only form of exercise through this whole time, but its proof that I have better stamina than I used to.

Two flights of 14 steps, and then two annoying oddly-shaped ones.
I'm able to do the first 28 without even becoming breathless.

I used to dread them, and would trudge up them, like an old tired woman.

But now I usually bounce up them (provided no slow-coach is in front of me). I try to pace myself from the other passengers (socially distanced! Laughing ) so that I get the whole length of the flight to bounce up, counting to 14 under my breath each time.

Oh yeah, and I am now able to squat down to pick things up off the floor, and not have to hold onto something to get back up again Laughing

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 03 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its getting weird here... I actually look forward to my workouts. I work an odd rota, 12hr days 4 days a week. Sometimes the days off are spread out sometimes they bunch up. When I have a long stint in work, say 6 days in a row, by about day 3 I actually feel like I need to do a workout. My body is definitely getting new muscle. It's now visible in the mirror and everything. I can do more and push myself harder. Although I still have chubby hips. Going to have to do something about my diet to fix that I think. Maybe not buying percy pigs every time I go into M&S might help.

In other news, liking the garmin vivosmart 4. Heart rate monitor is surprisingly accurate (not perfect, but ample for making sure I don't push the old ticker too far ). Monitors blood oxygen overnight, which I guess could be useful. Connects to the GPS in my phone too and tells me how far I walk the dog, which means I now walk him further just to get my stats up, which the dog is loving!

Also, good for you HK! Its immensely satisfying feeling the benefit of exercise, isn't it! Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 06 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
No big deal in the grand scheme of things, but these days I can usually "jog" up the steps at Plaistow tube station.
This is just about my only form of exercise through this whole time, but its proof that I have better stamina than I used to.

Two flights of 14 steps, and then two annoying oddly-shaped ones.
I'm able to do the first 28 without even becoming breathless.

I used to dread them, and would trudge up them, like an old tired woman.

But now I usually bounce up them (provided no slow-coach is in front of me). I try to pace myself from the other passengers (socially distanced! Laughing ) so that I get the whole length of the flight to bounce up, counting to 14 under my breath each time.

Oh yeah, and I am now able to squat down to pick things up off the floor, and not have to hold onto something to get back up again Laughing

I used to run up Covent Garden, until the health and safety nazis closed the stairs off, used to just be advisory not to use them, now I think it is fire exit only

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 13 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting fat, 95kg a few weeks ago. Its been creeping up for years since I stopped proper trail running in 2016, where I was 73kg. Ive decided to do something about it.
Two meals a day with no snacking. Breakfast a bananna, plus protien shake if I ran day before. No cereal or toasts.
Cut all carbs, except for running fuel - mostly scotch, fruit pastels and a snack bar.
After every decent run Im rewarding myself with a steak with a ton of salad. No chips. No potato, bread, rice but Im allowing breadcrumbed chicken.
Its taken a while to get some endurance back but Im now doing upto 19km runs and
this week Im upto 48km total with 700m hills, another long run tomorrow. Ill try to get a 21km run next week. From two weeks Im down to 90.5kg and I expect to rapidly drop to low 80's before summer.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the doctor's this week, just to check some bloods and BP.

He was impressed with my efforts on the keto diet, and as a result I managed to escape getting lumbered with Ramipril Dance!
But he said my HDL cholesterol was a bit low, and that I should eat more "good cholesterol" foods.

Fucking result: A GP that prescribes avocado instead of statins and antihypertensives. Cool

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 18 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Went to the doctor's this week, just to check some bloods and BP.

He was impressed with my efforts on the keto diet, and as a result I managed to escape getting lumbered with Ramipril Dance!
But he said my HDL cholesterol was a bit low, and that I should eat more "good cholesterol" foods.

Fucking result: A GP that prescribes avocado instead of statins and antihypertensives. Cool

Soooo...
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UnequaledLightheartedHagfish-mobile.mp4

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 13 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Shocked !
Old Pepperami went back to training yesterday Shocked .

The instructor had us do a couple of circuits around the pitch , jumps, squats, and other assorted nonsense as a warm up.
Followed by assorted break-falls.
Then we went into basic defensive responses.
Finishing with return to your feet from the ground while defending yourself.

Over 6 months since I last trained and in that time I have eaten way to many pies!
Fooking Hell! , my legs were wobbly and my heart felt like it was trying to get out of my chest! Shocked .

I’m just to fond of my food Sad .
I just can’t resist a good pie.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 15 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are getting weirder here. I've stuck with the whole workouts on days off since the start of the year, which is 3 a week. I upped the length and intensity a month or so back. Muscle is taking shape nicely.

Only problem is that I'm maintaining my weight. Which is 15-20kg over what it should be. So I've changed my diet (you may have seen my meal shakes thread). On work days, I aim for 2000ish calories, 60:30:10 protein to carbs to fats. On workout days (workouts are 60-75min) i aim for 3000 calories on a 40:40:20 protein to carbs to fat diet (i need the carbs for the energy). Lost 3kg in a week, but don't know if I've starved my body too much of energy, or my cardio fitness hasn't quite caught up with my muscle gain or whether the fact I had a 6day stint in work and was unable to do a workout for almost a week has caused me to lose some condition... Whatever it is, yesterday and today, I've struggled a little bit more than I have done getting through the workout. That said, wife said she was feeling a bit off doing her workout yesterday and a buddy work said she felt ill doing a workout yesterday, so maybe I can't discount illness.

Either way, I'm on a 6 day weekend from today, so maybe 6 days nonstop will fix whatever the issue is. Roll on beach body

(Oh, my life sucks, no sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits or any sugary deliciousness... don't even have milk in my tea and coffee a d definitely no beer. Until I'm at my target weight and look good, then I can live again, in moderation)

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I was getting fat, 95kg a few weeks ago.
From two weeks Im down to 90.5kg and I expect to rapidly drop to low 80's before summer.

Upto 40km running this week, and now weigh 87kg. 8kg in little over a month, I can feel the fat melting away from my belly Laughing

Henny
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Cool. good to hear. Sloth begets slot I've heard so anyting active is good.
I despise exercise just of the sake of it (although I have on occasion committed to bouts of preparation training) In general though physical jerks of a constructive nature suit me best (cycling to work, sawing wood, tilling the soil etc..)

Oh that is great to start your year! Good for you!

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 21 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Pepperami went to his second training session since lockdown ended.
How quickly you lose your fitness and technique Shocked Shocked !

I looked like fat old man having a fit whilst standing up! Shocked .
Wasn’t puffing and blowing as much as last week, thankfully.

I’ve got such a long way to go to get anywhere near seeing an improvement in my fitness.
A few more weeks at once a week before I think about upping the rate to two sessions a week.

Hard for me as it was, it was good to be puffing and blowing and my heart pumping.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 22 Apr 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one run this week but Im down to 86kg.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 27 May 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 50 mile/80km cycle to the nearest decent rocks and Im told they are dry enough for climbing!
The way home killed my legs, cramp everywhere knees, calves and quads! Big fecking hills didnt make it easy.
Bike with the new skinny tyres was excellent, apart from the bastard cadence sensor not working.

84.1kg

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 02 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

went running today, 3 miles at an okay pace, lunchtime#

ever since, evertytime I stand up I go dizzy, and nearly black out.

This is the worse it has ever been. Even if I stand up super slowly like an old man, I feel wobbly.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 09 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could type a long post, but. TL DR version;

got outta shape, getting back in shape, lifting weights and doing core again, running again

ran 10 mies today, need goals to train to, so entered races which are

10k event !8th July
Half Marathon September
Ultra Marathon Feb 2022
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9