Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Duke 2019 30 amp blowing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:52 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Duke 2019 30 amp blowing Reply with quote

Hello, I was wondering if I could get any advice as the shops closed today and the bikes not due for a service till Feb.

My main 30 amp fuse keeps blowing out, no other fuses have. So far it has had a new battery as the old one failed to hold its charge and had a dead sell. Fowler's Bristol said they spent 5 hours checking the electronics however I feel they are having me in since they said the new battery would resolve issues yet 24 hours later it's still going.

So it's blown with the bars turned and not turned, of which the bikes idle in N on the drive and I am just popping the throttle to 3k rpm.

I notice the revs drop below 1k after a lil pop then it dies (30amp) gone. I also noticed a clicking around the head, spark plug area.

Also it seems more so when the bike is wet and battery near full charge (before and after new battery) The wiring I can get to seems intact however I can't get under the fuel tank properly.

The TFT display also is allowing water and moisture in and the indicators sometimes do there own thing.

I think the voltage regulator could be the issue personally however if anyone can suggest options or things to try please help Smile

It's a white 2019 125 still under warranty however fowler's Bristol have kinda given the impression they want to avoid warranty to charge me just because.

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:53 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I powered the bike on after disconnecting a cable thats in the battery bay, could be to the voltage reg or from the alternator as the voltage sat at 11.8 and it seemed happy with me popping the throttle, mind yesterday when the bike was dry i manged with no issue to add 30 miles to the bike on a trip.

Anyway, cable disconnected, got the the shop and the voltage sat at 11.4, it did dip to 11.2. Went in the shop and came out, reconnected the cable and i got home okay with voltage stable at 13.2/3

I should add i have managed to disconnect the cable okay with the bike on turning over on the drive idle and reconnected it 3 times (power off and back on , disconnect, leave 2 mins, reconnect), 2 of which the main fuse blew

im trying all sorts to see what it could be.

I also have noticed one ground, on the spark ignition was rusted to shit so i have sanded it down for better contact - this was before my 30 mile trip. Overnight it frosted over so today the bike was wet, and the fuse 30 amp blew twice before my trip to the shop with the cable disconnected

oilyrag
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's under warranty give it to the shop. You paid the top dealer price so you could bring it back if anything went wrong with it.

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:38 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some checks on the bike battery and they are as follows
Voltages are as follows
off - 12.20
on - 11.86, dropped to 11.84 (1 min ish)
on idle 12.68 on start - 1 min in 12.75-12.90 2 mins in ish 12.8-9 fluctuation between
on 5k - 13.16/13.20

could anyone advise what this particular cable is please?

https://ibb.co/3Bf7y06

Fowler's Bristol are refusing to do warranty, the bike has 7 months left however they are giving every excuse/attempt to avoid doing any work. I do not wish to keep going back and forth and having the work half done due to lazyness

They have refused to replace the indicator box, and the tft display of which the box is shorting out and the display fails at times when riding by going blank and letting water get inside. I wish i could speak to ktm uk directly to report these actions

I have the wire diagram here however its not too clear

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5966283/road-125cc-2017/wiring-harness

Image URL as it failed in preview
https://ibb.co/3Bf7y06

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you buy the bike on finance?

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Did you buy the bike on finance?

Yes and it still is under warranty till July

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:
yes and it still is under warranty till July

Then time to speak with the finance company about the problems, until the bike i s paid for it's their problem to deal with.

Was the bike bought from Fowlers?

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:24 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
FKX wrote:
yes and it still is under warranty till July

Then time to speak with the finance company about the problems, until the bike i s paid for it's their problem to deal with.

Was the bike bought from Fowlers?

Ah okay i wasn't aware of that

It was yes brand new

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:
Ah okay i wasn't aware of that

It was yes brand new

Then they are being dicks, straight to the finance company and have them discuss it with Fowlers.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:32 - 24 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike came from Fowlers. It came with their own warrenty of 3 months cause second hand. A month in the stator failed.

There was no quibble, it was fixed at no cost to me.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 187 days between these two posts...

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:09 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

So a update! the issue was infact the voltage regulator/rectifier. The battery being new still died and the 30 amp would blow every time the voltage hit 13.8v +

The idea of the 30 amp killing the bike is one hell of a stupid design since it kills the lights too so if it had happened at night, i would have been killed

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:
Hello,

So a update! the issue was infact the voltage regulator/rectifier. The battery being new still died and the 30 amp would blow every time the voltage hit 13.8v +

The idea of the 30 amp killing the bike is one hell of a stupid design since it kills the lights too so if it had happened at night, i would have been killed

So you'd sooner have the wiring loom catch fire than have a main protective device? The fuse did its job properly.

They don't blow when the voltage rises by the way, they blow when the current draw exceeds their rated value for a given time. Also, charging voltage for the battery is 13.8v or slightly higher so that's not an unusual condition.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:42 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the regulator was blown you'd have up to about 28v running through the system so it's no wonder the battery was killed and the 30 amp fuse blew.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If the regulator was blown you'd have up to about 28v running through the system so it's no wonder the battery was killed and the 30 amp fuse blew.

Yep. The defective reg/rec probably pulled excess current. Thumbs Up

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:17 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, so a further update

Garage in mention is fowlers in bristol UK

So since the voltage reg was replaced the bike was running fine, it had a service as well at 10k miles however due to the chain and the sprockets being worn the garage refused to road test it. The only work done on the KTM duke 125 on its second service was - Oil and oil filter

Bare in mind the air filter and valves should have been done too that fowlers later confirmed should have been done however where not at all.

At 13.7k miles the bike has died 2-5 days after warranty as well due to the engine failing.The valves have dropped, the piston blown and the rings pretty much gone. This now being said i have to pay more despite the garage admitting they didn't carry out the full work when they should have and are still trying to pull the warranty is void as it came in late for its second service (the bike wouldn't go far without dying putting me at risk, and the garage gave me a solid yes its okay it will not effect warrant when i asked them "if it does come in late or over the miles will it void my warranty" since it was a concern of mine.

It seems KTM are refusing to further complete work for defects that should not happen, A well looked after 125 19 plate duke doesn't have a engine failure at this level having just turned 2 years old so im having to hope the garage can kick ktm up the arse in doing the work or covering half the costs. Note for the failure, No signs at all led to this, it literally just stopped working when going 40MPH in 6th and then it wouldn't fire up when i tried it upon stopping due to no power

my experience with ktm so far is they will try pull any move to not hold there end of a warranty agreement, i feel they can remedy this by full coverage of costs due to this now being the second time I am fighting them in doing there end in addition do to covid the bike has been used less than intended so this issue would have happened a good month prior to the expiry

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:22 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you are upset, but please learn the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're' before you post again.

Btw, have you been running it with no oil? I can't see a 2 year old bike having catastrophic engine failure (even without the values being checked at 10k) without it being subject to abuse.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:37 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late servicing? On a European 125? With their reputation?

2-5 days out of warranty you *might* Be lucky, but it'll be a hard fight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could argue that in small claims as not fit for purpose. With it being so close to warranty end ( presuming you have a full and checkable service history) you might come out of it ok.

Out of warranty but still on finance?

If you've paid more than 50% of the finance off you might be able to just hand it back and not pay any more but you'd need to look in your finance agreement for that.

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:33 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have paperwork and all work has been done at the garage it was bought from. The oil was done at 10k miles, no oil leaks and i would have noticed as i store it in a place oil really shows up on if it had dripped

in addition the valves did not get checked, when they should have been on the second service

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:
I have paperwork and all work has been done at the garage it was bought from. The oil was done at 10k miles, no oil leaks and i would have noticed as i store it in a place oil really shows up on if it had dripped

in addition the valves did not get checked, when they should have been on the second service

But did you check your oil level regularly?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:

Bare in mind the air filter and valves should have been done too that fowlers later confirmed should have been done however where not at all.

At 13.7k miles the bike has died 2-5 days after warranty as well due to the engine failing.The valves have dropped, the piston blown and the rings pretty much gone.

That doesn't happen cos a clearance check wasn't performed and an air filter wasn't replaced on schedule. Sounds like it was run out of oil.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

At worst the valve clearences being too tight would just result in the bike not starting because of lack of compression of mixture (blown out the way it came in because valves fractionally open)

It would never get bad enough for the valves to catastrophically meet with the piston. We're talking 0.1mm away from the valve seat is enough to prevent compression and the bike not starting as a result.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strickly speakin
isn't checking oil a recommended daily check like tyre pressures
lights and stuff?
( yeah i know most of dont do it religiously)

Sudden catastrophic engine failure sounds odd to me.

I fucked up my first bike cos of not checking the oil
A bitter lesson, but It made me a bit obsessive about it after that

FKX
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:58 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
FKX wrote:

At 13.7k miles the bike has died 2-5 days after warranty as well due to the engine failing.The valves have dropped, the piston blown and the rings pretty much gone.

That doesn't happen cos a clearance check wasn't performed and an air filter wasn't replaced on schedule. Sounds like it was run out of oil.

How can it run out of oil 3k miles after a service of which prior the oil never had any issues? also no warning light came up for low oil or oil pressure

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FKX wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

How can it run out of oil 3k miles after a service of which prior the oil never had any issues? also no warning light came up for low oil or oil pressure

So did you check the oil level regularly?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 237 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2